Any news on the Genuine classic cruiser?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jijifer

Post by jijifer »

ericalm wrote: The Scomadi design is actually a carbon fiber version of a Lambretta GP200. Not much of a chance of Genuine copying that. No need to license it—Scomadi basically copied it themselves!

The Genuine touring bike is supposedly more influenced by non-Italian tourers such as the Fuji Rabbit Superflow, Heinkel Tourist and Maicoletta.
what makes a scooter a 'tourister"? is it size? how comfortable it would be in the saddle for a long time? I love the look of ALL those vintage bikes. I'd be so stoked for a new 4 stroke styled most like the Rabbit or Heinkel. I'd like carbon fiber or something that wouldn't rust. I don't care how many cc's so long as I can cruiser at 80mph easily. So if that's 300ccs so be it. I never thought a 125 cc could be as fast as the buddy is so I'm willing to defer to the engineers on that front.

On another note, my crash bars have spared me many times. Only 1 crash and yes I replaced them then. It's that my scooter was knocked over 2 times by wind and both times unprotected plastics broke. I'm not sure the plastics are cheaper. The top cover I've replaced twice due to those wind knock-overs and those are $60 a pop! BOO! Plastics aren't expensive but I seeing mine crack not because of crashes but mother nature don't mind, she don't care. I'd have to had replaced the left side on at least 2 occasions with the guards. Plus I'd have nothing to bungee to without it :)
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

jijifer wrote:what makes a scooter a 'tourister"? is it size? how comfortable it would be in the saddle for a long time? I love the look of ALL those vintage bikes. I'd be so stoked for a new 4 stroke styled most like the Rabbit or Heinkel. I'd like carbon fiber or something that wouldn't rust. I don't care how many cc's so long as I can cruiser at 80mph easily. So if that's 300ccs so be it. I never thought a 125 cc could be as fast as the buddy is so I'm willing to defer to the engineers on that front.
I'd like aluminum... it doesn't rust, either. Chrome-moly tube chassis, aluminum bodywork, 250-300ccs, full instrumentation, with the looks of a Zundapp Bella.

http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/cl ... a-r151.jpg

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1041836 ... 9748ujXxBN

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1039715 ... 9748ARlMLr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/exxodus/320232725/ ... Note the saddlebags!

http://classic-motorbikes.net/images/gallery/7865.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

In light of the new 170cc, I thought I'd bump this thread.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

pugbuddy wrote:In light of the new 170cc, I thought I'd bump this thread.
Bump away. At this point, I think we're closer to the arrival of Godot or maybe the Second Coming than we are to the introduction of the Genuine Classic Cruiser. I agree that the Zündapp Bella would be a great configuration, perhaps with a 300cc horizontal air-cooled twin poking out of the sides. I'd embark on this project myself, but that pokey Prize Patrol from Publishers Clearing House hasn't shown up yet.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

PeterC wrote:
pugbuddy wrote:In light of the new 170cc, I thought I'd bump this thread.
Bump away. At this point, I think we're closer to the arrival of Godot or maybe the Second Coming than we are to the introduction of the Genuine Classic Cruiser. I agree that the Zündapp Bella would be a great configuration, perhaps with a 300cc horizontal air-cooled twin poking out of the sides. I'd embark on this project myself, but that pokey Prize Patrol from Publishers Clearing House hasn't shown up yet.
Thoae folks in the dark blazers with the big check will be stopping HERE first! :D
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

with the way things have been for scooter sales and the issues with the 4 stroke stella
i would imagine this project is on a back burner somewhere
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

So..............how fast will this 170cc go?
so tough, so pink
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

not fast enough
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yup, that's it. It's what I call a Flying Unicorn. :)

At least we know that the Cruiser is a real thing, coming someday

What gets me is when folks (mostly on other forums) post ridiculous nonsense like, "Vespa should make a new version of the PK—they'll sell a million of them!" or "I want a 300cc scooter that shifts! They'll sell a million of them!" Naw, probably not.

Of course, when a company does come out with something like that (see: 2011 Vespa PX), there's a rush to trash it. Sigh.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

ericalm wrote:
scooterstud wrote:So its been almost a year, any new word on this bike for 2011 or beyond? Is this project even still alive at Genuine?
Project is alive, but after the past year for the scooter industry and Genuine, we're unsure of when the scooter will be released.
To think Genuine would bring this Cruiser to market now is Ludicrous, it just can't happen with this global recession.I'm on the other side of the fence vs many here and hope Genuine holds off until or unless this economy improves a lot.Of course I'm sure Genuine knows this fully well and will wait years if need be,so when the Cruiser is launched it's a hit.For such a small company I'm absolutely impressed with Genuine's business model.
Aerosmith, None Other.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

ericalm wrote: At least we know that the Cruiser is a real thing, coming someday
Aye, there's the rub. We have been told that the Cruiser could echo the aesthetics of the classic German and/or Japanese scooters of the '60s, could be somewhere between 270 and 300cc, would most likely be a CVT, etc., etc.
Allegedly, someone has seen a drawing of one, but his recollection is fuzzy and he's been sworn to secrecy. Speaking just for myself, if I actually SEE something I like, I'll put my money down. It's a two-way street: show me the merchandise, or at least a prototype, and I'll show you the money. So far, the reality of the Cruiser has not been established.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

PeterC wrote:
ericalm wrote: At least we know that the Cruiser is a real thing, coming someday
Aye, there's the rub. We have been told that the Cruiser could echo the aesthetics of the classic German and/or Japanese scooters of the '60s, could be somewhere between 270 and 300cc, would most likely be a CVT, etc., etc.
Allegedly, someone has seen a drawing of one, but his recollection is fuzzy and he's been sworn to secrecy. Speaking just for myself, if I actually SEE something I like, I'll put my money down. It's a two-way street: show me the merchandise, or at least a prototype, and I'll show you the money. So far, the reality of the Cruiser has not been established.
No one's asking you for money. Genuine hasn't done anything more than mention that they're working on this and that they'd hoped to have it by the end of this year. That all comes from comments Philip McCaleb made in a podcast interview. The earlier rumors all came from chatty dealers.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Genuine doesn't show a prototype, people will complain and constantly muse about where their flying unicorn is and when they can get it. If they do show one, but it's not ready for production and a landing date is uncertain, people will complain and constantly muse about where their flying unicorn is and when they can get it.

Show a prototype too early and they're just giving naysayers and critics a lot of time to tear into it and have their say without actually seeing the scooter, riding it, or knowing the final specs. It also gives competitors time to react, plan and prepare.

I don't really understand why anyone would expect a company to show them a product that's still in development and not yet ready for production.

Genuine used to not officially announce any products that weren't in production and headed for US shores. People complained.

Stella news? If they announce a date and it doesn't happen, people complain. If they don't say anything because they don't have a solid date, people complain.

The landscape of the scooter market is much different than when rumors of the Cruiser first surfaced. It's not just the buyers and the overall economy—there are far fewer dealers to peddle the product now. Add to that the expense of importing and the additional insecurity that the EPA could suddenly and unexpectedly torpedo any plans for any new model coming in to the country.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

want...........flying...............unicorn
Attachments
flying unicorn.jpg
flying unicorn.jpg (12.65 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
so tough, so pink
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

chloefpuff wrote:want...........flying...............unicorn
There's just something so wrong about a flying unicorn with EFI.
Syd

Post by Syd »

PeterC wrote:
chloefpuff wrote:want...........flying...............unicorn
There's just something so wrong about a flying unicorn with EFI.
How about a flying unicorn with sprinkles?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ericalm wrote:Stella news? If they announce a date and it doesn't happen, people complain. If they don't say anything because they don't have a solid date, people complain.
Now, I agree with your comments about products in early development. The way Genuine is handling the Stella thing is a different deal however. We are not talking early rumors, speculation, or product concepts. We are talking about a machine that Genuine promoted and told its dealers to solicit cash deposits for delivery last spring. Now it has seemingly fallen into a black hole. Entirely different deal than early hints on the Genuine classic cruiser IMO
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dooglas wrote:
ericalm wrote:Stella news? If they announce a date and it doesn't happen, people complain. If they don't say anything because they don't have a solid date, people complain.
Now, I agree with your comments about products in early development. The way Genuine is handling the Stella thing is a different deal however. We are not talking early rumors, speculation, or product concepts. We are talking about a machine that Genuine promoted and told its dealers to solicit cash deposits for delivery last spring. Now it has seemingly fallen into a black hole. Entirely different deal than early hints on the Genuine classic cruiser IMO
They are very different matters; you're right. My point is that no matter what they say, if it's anything other than a solid delivery date, someone will be unhappy and gripe about it online.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

the story of my life........................ :lol:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wxkdmL3iMCY?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wxkdmL3iMCY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

ericalm wrote:A lot of stuff
What he said.

I'm the one with the fuzzy memory, I saw computer renderings, at that time it was a big priority for the company and they were working hard to get it into production.

In the meantime, a lot has happened, most noticeable the Stella hassle and the complete bottoming-out of the scooter market. That bike was being developed BY Genuine for the US Market. There isn't a US market anymore, it's pretty grim, and I wouldn't be surprised if they totally shelved it or at very least put it on the back burner. As Eric said, they never really hyped it, never promised anything specific, they just threw out a few hints to (wisely imho) gauge interest.

The Stella matter is very diffferent, but I still agree they can't win. They're stuck waiting for LML and the US government and don't want to make any promises they can't keep. As Eric said, damned if they do, damned if they don't. It'll be great when they come but Genuine making announcements and everyone freaking out about it on this list isn't making them come any faster. It's a very shitty situation for all of us, but all we can do is be patient.

As I've said several times, however much you want your bike, multiply it by a thousand and that's how much Genuine wants you to have your bike. They've lost loads of money in this mess, and they're losing more every day it doesn't come out. Don't think for a second that they aren't doing anything and everything possible to speed it up!

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

screw the stella and the classic scooter, when is Genuine gonna bring the hover scooter to market. Damn them and thier insolence! :lol:
Attachments
jetscooter-flying-scooter.jpg
jetscooter-flying-scooter.jpg (88.87 KiB) Viewed 924 times
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
DanteG

Post by DanteG »

jasondavis48108 wrote:screw the stella and the classic scooter, when is Genuine gonna bring the hover scooter to market. Damn them and thier insolence! :lol:
... and will it be 2t or 4t ?
when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

HST
jasondavis48108

DanteG wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:screw the stella and the classic scooter, when is Genuine gonna bring the hover scooter to market. Damn them and thier insolence! :lol:
8t
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Syd

Post by Syd »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
DanteG wrote:
8t
1t
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Syd wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:
DanteG wrote: ... and will it be 2t or 4t ?
8t
1t
Zed PM... :roll:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

And the beat goes on...
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Gas prices are staring to creep up again. All the scooter market needs to get it going again is some good $4.00 a gallon gas.

Then we get our cruiser.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Howardr wrote:All the scooter market needs to get it going again is some good $4.00 a gallon gas.
I think the opposite may be true! The prospect of another spike in gas prices scares the hell out of me.

Higher gas prices also means inflation—not just for scooters, but also food and necessities. A 2011 spike in gas prices could throw a serious wrench into the economic recovery and send buyers back into defensive/panic/fear mode.

The difference between now and 2008 is that we've got record unemployment, low consumer spending and savings, credit is more difficult to obtain, and people have less disposable income in general. Those who stand the most to gain from going from a car to a scooter are those who can also least afford them. For those still too attached to four wheels (or who need them for whatever reason), there are many more economical, fuel efficient cars available now than in '08.

Dealers and manufacturers/distributors ordered heavily for '09 only to see the bottom drop out of the market. Those scoots have been costing them money (loss os anticipated revenue, storage costs, flooring costs, etc.) for over a year. The market's also been flooded with scoots repossessed from closed dealers and used ones from buyers who defaulted on their loans. By the time these sell, they'll be lucky to have broken even.

The short-lived boom due to the spike in demand in '08 and the inevitable bust that followed were much worse for the industry than steady, incremental growth. Even in a stable economy, the market couldn't support the number of dealers that opened or added scooters in '08.
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

Has anyone else noticed that a decent amount of scooters on the road are suddenly these old fixed up Honda Spree types? Maybe hipsters reliving their 1980's youths. Personally I like the more vintage style!

But are any companies coming out with retro 80's looking scoots?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

GrittyTacoman wrote:Has anyone else noticed that a decent amount of scooters on the road are suddenly these old fixed up Honda Spree types? Maybe hipsters reliving their 1980's youths. Personally I like the more vintage style!

No need. Those damned old Hondas just don't wear out!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The Spree? How about the Elite, the Aero, the Cub, the Helix, the Reflex, and on and on. After all, Honda is the biggest motorcycle/scooter manufacuterer in the world - and has been for about 50 years. As PeterC says, Hondas just seem to keep running.
jasondavis48108

PeterC wrote:
GrittyTacoman wrote:Has anyone else noticed that a decent amount of scooters on the road are suddenly these old fixed up Honda Spree types? Maybe hipsters reliving their 1980's youths. Personally I like the more vintage style!

No need. Those damned old Hondas just don't wear out!
That is the beauty of them, they arn't pretty like Vespas but they darn sure are some ugly arse tanks. I have to say that although I don't think my sh150 is nearly as unattractive as a spree, I wasn't drawn to it for its smashing good looks, but the thing rides like a dream and I'm hoping it has the indestructability of those earlier models :)
birdmove

Post by birdmove »

Well, the wife and I have done our part. We bought five scooters in the last 3-4 years. One Honda Metro, 2 Ruckuses, a SYM HD200, and my new, leftover Kymco People 150. The Hondas were sold or tyraded, but btheb SYM and Kymco are pretty new.

jon
Last edited by birdmove on Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

My 'problem' is, I wanted to go back to the '60s (when I was a kid) that's how I found Genuine, but I needed to ride more before I got a 'shifty'.
Hence the Buddy...... 8)
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba