2010 Blur 220i!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

UGH BOO FAKE CARBON FIBER. Gack. People will love them.
One of the first things I noticed as well. But, for fake CF, it looks OK, at least in pictures. I'll reserve the right to change my mind once I see one in person. And who knows, maybe this will kick off a CF aftermarket for scooters.

I've always liked the Blur and this new one, especially in white, is very enticing. I'm really looking forward to a test ride.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

One version of the pgo, pmx naked has carbon panels. (Simulated) have not looked at the panels up close but I'm sure it looks just like you think it would. From the pics of the blur, the cf looks complimentary to the overall look. We'll see I guess.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Exept the exhaust. That would have to go.
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
al

Post by al »

Blur 220i questions:
Enough room for 34" inseam-13 shoe?
Enough room for helmet underseat with 220i?
Baby TMAX. . .Don't you agree?
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

yes
possibly
and tmax-ish....sure. but better. :D
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Very interesting new scooter! But 317 lbs seems a little portly. A Ducati Streetfighter 1100cc only weighs 373 lbs. And is it 75 Bmph or 75 mph? And is it truly 78 mpg? Or is that with a jockey sitting on it with a tailwind going downhill? I'll have to wait an see what the first reviews say before considering pulling the trigger.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

al wrote:Blur 220i questions:
Enough room for 34" inseam-13 shoe?
Enough room for helmet underseat with 220i?
Baby TMAX. . .Don't you agree?
I wear a 32" inseam and there's plenty of room
I wear a 11 shoe and there's plenty of room
I keep an XXL Full-face underseat BUT my wife's XL modular doesn't fit.
The seat was allegedly changed, but I think the plan was to use the same seat frame, so that shouldn't change the helmet space.

It's not overpriced enough to be a baby T-Max, ha.

It's along those lines, I guess, but the GMax/Blur styling is closer to the Peugeot Jetforce (the originator of the 'peekaboo shock') or Gilera Runner (or the Kymco Super 8, which came after it).
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
al

Thanks for replies-I'm a newbie-and i'm thinking Blur or MP3

Post by al »

BLUR or CHEAP USED MP3?
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

nice but has anyone seen the dot turn signals on the bars
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Re: Thanks for replies-I'm a newbie-and i'm thinking Blur or

Post by Lostmycage »

al wrote:BLUR or CHEAP USED MP3?
That's up to you. Go look at each and test ride them if you can. They're completely different machines.

Also, your new favorite color is purple, you hate turkey and you don't care much for wool but you've got a new fondness for spandex. Let me know if there's any other opinions you need formed for yourself. :clown:
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Thanks for replies-I'm a newbie-and i'm thinking Blur or

Post by ericalm »

al wrote:BLUR or CHEAP USED MP3?
They're totally different sorts of machines. If it's between the Blur 220i and a used MP3 250, I'd actually say the Blur. The MP3 250 is a little underpowered. Also, it may not be covered by a full warranty (don't know if it's transferable) and will be more expensive to maintain. I like the MP3—especially the 500—but it's a very different riding experience. They're much heavier and larger, despite being very maneuverable.

Don't believe anyone who tells you riding an MP3 is somehow safer because of the 3 wheels. It rides like a 2-wheeler and crashes like one, too. Many ModernVespa.com members who own MP3s can attest to that.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Is there such a thing as a cheap used MP3? I've never seen one for sale, let alone cheap, and Piaggio/Vespa owners often seem to expect to MAKE money when they sell their bikes.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

KCScooterDude wrote:
Burgie 400? How much you want for it? How many miles?
about 15K miles fully dealer serviced, GIVI Ws replaced rear tire at 12.5K. I would take $4k - negotiable depending on trade in value, if I can find one in stock. not that I've started looking...yet
al

Cramped legroom with MP3 . . @550LB- heavy to haul- too.

Post by al »

But 2 wheels as safa as 3. . for a newbie?

I don't know about that.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Cramped legroom with MP3 . . @550LB- heavy to haul- too.

Post by ericalm »

al wrote:But 2 wheels as safa as 3. . for a newbie?

I don't know about that.
The 3 wheels on the MP3 are close together and move like a single wheel so it's not like riding a tricycle. The MP3 is only fully stable when it's stopped and the wheels are locked. While the MP3 does have performance advantages when turning and cornering, the skills required to ride one are identical to riding a 2-wheeled scooter. Riders who hop on an MP3 without those skills are often destined for trouble.

If you're a newbie, then starting out on a lighter weight scooter with plenty of power will definitely help turn you into a better rider. If you want something that won't tip over, you're looking at a Can-Am Spyder.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Just saw on Ron's blog post that the Blur 220 MSRP is $3899.

Also, did the old Blurs have this security key feature?
http://www.examiner.com/ExaminerSlidesh ... 7&slide=16
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

My quick review is up! Lots of pictures!

http://www.examiner.com/x-3223-Detroit- ... lur-SS220i

The more I look at the Blur, the more I want to make a rash move with the tax refund...
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ericalm wrote:Just saw on Ron's blog post that the Blur 220 MSRP is $3899.

Also, did the old Blurs have this security key feature?
Nope. They took some cues from SYM it looks like. It's a pretty neat feature.
al

Well, I don't wanna buy MP3-until NEW BLUR

Post by al »

is checked out.

THIS NEW BLUR WOULD SEEM TO BE THE PERFECT ALL AROUND SCOOTER.
GOOD LOOKING, TOO.
BlueMark

beauty

Post by BlueMark »

I like the white and even the fake CF.

But the FLUX CAPACITOR needs to be radioactive orange.

thank you
al

THE KYMCO YAGER GT200I is 308lbs

Post by al »

BUT ONLY 174CC. . .
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

SCOOT3R?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Re: THE KYMCO YAGER GT200I is 308lbs

Post by Lostmycage »

al wrote:BUT ONLY 174CC. . .
Hi al,

Have you had a chance to read the posting guidelines or the new member section? They're at the top of the page as stickies in the General Forum. Modernbuddy isn't the most technologically advanced forum out there, but we're pretty friendly.

One thing to note is that a lot of people don't pay attention to the post subject if it's a reply. So it comes out looking like you're a crazy person because your latest response to the "Blur 220i" Thread just says "BUT ONLY 174CC. . .".

Most people don't read the subject of a thread reply - generally it get's glazed over. In this case most don't realize that you're referring to the Kymco Yager.

Second point is the CAPS lock thing. There's no need for all Caps. It's the forum equivalent of yelling and most people get offended. It's a little silly, but those are what people are used to. Slow down and compose your message. You'll get a lot more responses if it's a well composed question than if you just yell out crazy-person ramblings.
laxer

Post by laxer »

charlie55 wrote:SCOOT3R?
Hahaha! :rofl:
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

A Ducati Streetfighter 1100cc only weighs 373 lbs
Not really a fair comparison. Trimming weight is expensive and it's one of the reasons you'd have trouble finding a new Streetfighter for $10,000 more than the Blur. I'm guessing the wheels of a Streetfighter S would cost you as much as the Blur. As a Ducati owner, I'm also fully aware of a couple of other important factors:

1. Unlike many bike manufacturers, light weight is important to Ducati.
2. Like most other manufacturers, Ducati's weight claims are based on "dry" weight. For Ducati this means no fluids whatsoever and no battery.

I still agree with you that the Blur weight is a bit of a concern but scooters tend to be a bit on the heavy side compared to naked bikes. What's really important is how the Blur handles.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ericalm wrote: Also, did the old Blurs have this security key feature?
Yes they do, but without the fancy (ugly?) fascia plate.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

babblefish wrote:
Er? That's the first I've seen the keyhole lock out on a Blur. You guys getting the good stuff on the left coast?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Lostmycage wrote:
babblefish wrote:
Er? That's the first I've seen the keyhole lock out on a Blur. You guys getting the good stuff on the left coast?
Oops! I didn't notice the insert-the-key-to-access-the-keyhole thing. You're right, the 06/07 did not have this feature. Hummm, I wonder how hard it would be to get rid of it when I get my new Blur....
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Hummm, I wonder how hard it would be to get rid of it when I get my new Blur....
Not very.....

BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

k1dude wrote:Very interesting new scooter! But 317 lbs seems a little portly. A Ducati Streetfighter 1100cc only weighs 373 lbs. And is it 75 Bmph or 75 mph? And is it truly 78 mpg? Or is that with a jockey sitting on it with a tailwind going downhill? I'll have to wait an see what the first reviews say before considering pulling the trigger.
The Blur is a bit heavy for a small scooter, but it is also kind of a biggish small scooter.

You gotta ask what the value of lighter weight is ... handling, acceleration, top speed?

The Blur 150 is probably the best handling scooter available in the USA, its weight doesn't seem to be a problem there.

Its acceleration is pretty good, it's top speed is less than it feels like it wants it to be.

The 220i doesn't add much weight, and will improve Power to Weight ratio. And hopefully will let it sprint like it wants to.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The thing about the Blur's weight is that it really lends to it's handling and stability. That's a double edged sword because that stability makes it's top speed feel slower than what it's feels like it wants to do.

And the key access thing isn't very clear from the picture. I only recognize it because it's one of the features PGO advertised on the 220i previously and it's also on the SYM 250+ scoots.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I would think having something freeway capable would want at least 300 pounds for the average rider. (You're not average, Kaos. ;) ) No offense to my Buddy 125, but occasionally on the bypass here I get the impression I'm riding a shetland pony at the Kentucky Derby. More likely to stay on the ground, yes?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Cheshire wrote:I would think having something freeway capable would want at least 300 pounds for the average rider. (You're not average, Kaos. ;) ) No offense to my Buddy 125, but occasionally on the bypass here I get the impression I'm riding a shetland pony at the Kentucky Derby. More likely to stay on the ground, yes?
Wait, you don't LIKE being on a supercharged firebreathing flying zombie shetland pony? :P
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Kaos wrote:
Cheshire wrote:I would think having something freeway capable would want at least 300 pounds for the average rider. (You're not average, Kaos. ;) ) No offense to my Buddy 125, but occasionally on the bypass here I get the impression I'm riding a shetland pony at the Kentucky Derby. More likely to stay on the ground, yes?
Wait, you don't LIKE being on a supercharged firebreathing flying zombie shetland pony? :P
Sure, but she's not supercharged, flying, or firebreathing yet. :lol:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Kaos wrote:
:shock: That mental image is going to haunt me forever. And, I'd rock the t-shirt in a heartbeat. KRUSTY?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jrsjr wrote:
Kaos wrote:
:shock: That mental image is going to haunt me forever. And, I'd rock the t-shirt in a heartbeat. KRUSTY?
Ohh, I'd rock that shirt in a heartbeat as well.... :)