Helment Quick Release

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Major Redneck

Helment Quick Release

Post by Major Redneck »

with a new helment i got today i added a Helment Quick Release to the strap... www.echoproducts.com

iv used quick releases for years on full face helments but use just the strap on my openface and 3/4 helments...

the echo quick release exceeds chin strap testing requirements for both DOT 218 and Snell M2005 performance standards... its a metal to metal click that you know is there and holds without a question...

with talking with some bike "dudes" over the years some states well not allow a quick release,,, far as NC its fine...

do others use a quick release on there helments??? or am i the only one that can have a fullface helment on and ready to ride in 2 sec.??? or off in 2 sec.???

i also see they did not fix my cam at the tune of $90.oo's ... sorry $##02w843*$&@-...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
laxer

Post by laxer »

Think I'll give these a try, I'd love to gear up quicker.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Think I'll give these a try. Everyone else would love it if I'd gear up quicker... :P

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Been using one on my FF for 3 years and love it.
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club

Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I've been using them for over a year and love them.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Interesting, I'd never thought to even look for something like that. I can get my D-clip on my HJC CL-15 on and off so quickly that I don't know that there'd be much of a benefit for me. I could see why you'd want that on other helmets though.
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

I've used that same one since Summer 08.
I really like it. It's well designed/made.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Every bicycle helmet I've ever owned has had a latch like this, so I've found the routine of loosening/tightening the strap on my scoot helmet annoying. But not enough to do anything about it.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I was looking at this exact same product for my openface helmet. I have a question though, does it make it an easier to get the helmet on and off with gloves on? The reason I ask is that I often ride in weather thats cold enough that I'd rather leave my gloves on while locking up the scooter at work, but having the helmet on while doing so is very awkward.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Kaos wrote:Interesting, I'd never thought to even look for something like that. I can get my D-clip on my HJC CL-15 on and off so quickly that I don't know that there'd be much of a benefit for me. I could see why you'd want that on other helmets though.
You can keep your gloves on.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

So is the quick release to the side with the strap still under the chin?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

It ends up being in about the same area that the D-rings would be. The metal clip attaches where the D-rings are, then the plastic piece slides over top of that metal clip. The other side is just a metal tab with a slide adjusted on it.

It turns the whole assembly into a parachute clip. Slide in until it clicks to close it, squeeze the sides to release. I can release it with gloves on and close it with thin gloves (winter time gloves all I can do is release it, but that's still faster than with a D-ring).

I've got one on every helmet in the house except my AGV helmet, which has the best closing system I've ever seen or imagined!
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Ready to go in 2sec and compromise the safety of the helmet, or ready to go in 20, safety intact.

Let the debate begin......
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

MrNatural wrote:Ready to go in 2sec and compromise the safety of the helmet, or ready to go in 20, safety intact.

there is no compromise at all,,, if anything theres more for having a constant latch safely intact at the same location at every wear of the helment...

the echo quick release exceeds chin strap testing requirements for both DOT 218 and Snell M2005 performance standards... its a metal to metal click that you know is there and holds without a question...

if the quick release exceeds the strap itself i guess the only debate left is the rescue finding the quick release rather than the red pull strap...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

MrNatural wrote:Ready to go in 2sec and compromise the safety of the helmet, or ready to go in 20, safety intact.

No debate necessary. If you don't feel it's safe, don't use it. As someone whose dealt with load bearing devices for a living, I'd trust the mechanism to hold up to a lot more force than a helmet strap would ever come into contact with.

As an aside, I'm pretty fed up with people starting arguments just for the sake of starting arguments. So can it.
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

I used one most of last summer on my HJC IS-Max but ditched it in the fall. I found it too difficult to fasten the buckle particularly with gloves on, and I never really found it to be a great time saver. Plus it bugged my neck. I never doubted its safety though.
Clearly.
laxer

Post by laxer »

Lostmycage wrote:

No debate necessary. If you don't feel it's safe, don't use it. As someone whose dealt with load bearing devices for a living, I'd trust the mechanism to hold up to a lot more force than a helmet strap would ever come into contact with.

As an aside, I'm pretty fed up with people starting arguments just for the sake of starting arguments. So can it.
Hear, hear!!
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Lostmycage wrote:

Hey Lost,
As someone who works in the health/safety/OSHA field, it's a well known fact/idiom you never modify a device’s safety feature(s) or a safety device itself. I’m just sayin’….

By the by, these forums are all about debating the pros/cons of products, procedures, thoughts and opinions, etc.
laxer

Post by laxer »

MrNatural wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:

Hey Lost,
As someone who works in the health/safety/OSHA field, it's a well known fact/idiom you never modify a device’s safety feature(s) or a safety device itself. I’m just sayin’….

By the by, these forums are all about debating the pros/cons of products, procedures, thoughts and opinions, etc.
Well, how about rather than simply saying "I THINK this is more unsafe but the DOT and SNELL testing and certifications disagree with me and I have no evidence to back up my claim" you actually provide some cited FACTS as to why this would be less safe/unsafe.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

laxer wrote:
MrNatural wrote:
Lostmycage wrote: No debate necessary. If you don't feel it's safe, don't use it. As someone whose dealt with load bearing devices for a living, I'd trust the mechanism to hold up to a lot more force than a helmet strap would ever come into contact with.

Hey Lost,

Well, how about rather than simply saying "I THINK this is more unsafe but the DOT and SNELL testing and certifications disagree with me and I have no evidence to back up my claim" you actually provide some cited FACTS as to why this would be less safe/unsafe.
Laxer,
You have to sift thru to decipher which statements in postings are opinions and which are facts. Not every statement that doesn't include factual references are going to start with "IMO...." to warn the reader. Numerous statements posters represent as "facts" could very well be refuted by many, more knowledgable readers.
So let me put it this way and be done. Any modification to a safety device, such as a moto helmet, is going to void or severely reduce any liability the manufacture has (research product liability court decisions). Also since most (now I'm not saying ALL) helmets are fitted w/the double ring and strap-type buckle off the shelf makes me think that swapping it out is a down-grade in safety. I'm just sayin'.......
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

OK, maybe my last post was a little blunt. There's been a lot of spite posting of late where people post something with the sole intention of starting an argument. It's petty, childish and f'n annoying.

Now, on the safety factor part. The safety mechanisms are not being tampered with. The shell, padding, visor and styrene sub-structure are all left unmodified by the quick clasp. In similar terms, it's like replacing the carabiner on a safety harness with a different type that carries the same ratings but has a different way of locking.

My previous post still works for this thread: If you don't feel this is safe, don't use it. I've seen clasps on helmets that pass all inspections and certifications that seem a lot flimsier than this system. The amount of force needed to break the clasp would be more than I'd want to live through. Check out the clasp in person sometime, that's what sold me. I wasn't convinced on it from pictures, maybe you aren't either. You don't have to be.

Now, let's stay friendly and non-combative, yeah? It's is Spring now. I'm just sayin'... :P
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

So...the plastic is basically just there to make opening the metal/metal clasp easier and keep you from getting skin pinched?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Cheshire wrote:So...the plastic is basically just there to make opening the metal/metal clasp easier and keep you from getting skin pinched?
Pretty much. It's other main purpose is to keep the metal aligned.

Uggh, I sound like a salesman for them. It's a neat product, but it only offers a little extra convenience over the D-rings. If you don't trust it, don't use it. Pretty simple, yanno?
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Nah, I was curious about design and can't get my hands on one today. :lol:
Vic

Post by Vic »

[quote="Major Redneck] if the quick release exceeds the strap itself i guess the only debate left is the rescue finding the quick release rather than the red pull strap...[/quote]

Nope, thats why we carry scissors. Snip and problem solved.