Buddy 125 - Clutch engages hard and transmission squealing

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

arctavis

Buddy 125 - Clutch engages hard and transmission squealing

Post by arctavis »

Hey Everyone,

My 08' buddy 125 has been completely trouble free until recently.
I now have 7802 miles on it and it has started engaging really hard from a dead stop.

It seems to rev up for just a sec and then BAM it engages so hard it feels like the scoot wants to jump off the ground.

Also while riding I hear a fairly loud squealing sound coming from the transmission area, it raises in pitch the faster I go and doesn't exist at a dead stop.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Is it getting time for me to completely rebuild the transmission or ?

I've garaged it, because I'm scared of doing more damage.

Any help will be appreciated.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

It's most likely belt dust build up. Have your dealer open it up and blow it out, or if you've got the tools to do so, blow it out yourself.

A general inspection wouldn't hurt either, but that's best done by your shop, since they'll have a better idea of how it should look vs. something actually being wrong.

It's probably just dust build-up, so don't worry about it too much, just get it checked out.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
AZruckuspride

Post by AZruckuspride »

I had an old mustang that squealed as I would drive and stop when I would let off the gas which was due to a lack of gear oil and some of the gears were fusing together. Make sure you have the proper amount of gear oil and that it gets changed on a regular basis. I have also heard that the clutch builds up a lot dust and needs to be cleaned from time to time. Keep on top of your maintenance and your buddy should last a long time.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Have you had the transmission serviced at all since you bought it? You're probably due for a new belt and rollers, having the clutch examined and the whole thing cleaned out. This isn't a big deal; it's routine maintenance. Belt and rollers should be checked/replaced every 4500-6000 or so miles depending on how you ride.

If you haven't had the 4000 mile service yet, you should probably get your valves checked/adjusted while you're in the shop.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
arctavis

Post by arctavis »

Thanks for all the help everyone,

I haven't had it checked yet, my local dealer closed down so I'll have to find another one.

I've enough mechanics in the family that I'm pretty sure we can figure the CVT out.

I'm paranoid about the oil, I've changed the oil, gear oil and filter every 500 miles since I bought it, and I only put that $10 a quart Royal Purple full synthetic in it.

Would this NCY super transmission set be a good bet?
http://www.scooterworks.com/NCY_Super_T ... 92C585.cfm

I've heard alot of people on hear swear by the Dr Pulley slider weights though, so should I swap those rollers for those?

Thanks again!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

My Vino 125 is squealing now at WOT. At 65mph I can hear it with my full face helmet, wind noise, traffic on interstate. It disappears at 60mph. My problem is probably not a lot different from yours and I suspect dust buildup in the cvt case. My Vino has about 3600 miles. I'm going to take off the cover tonight and check it out and will post pics. Hopefully it is a matter of housekeeping for me and for you.