anyone have a SHAD top case?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootLemont

anyone have a SHAD top case?

Post by ScootLemont »

I am shopping for a top case for my scoot (hate to give up the tail bag, but I need a bigger case)

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the SHAD

Thanks
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Yes, do tell! I'm seriously considering the Shad 29. Kymco has some that are 2 tone pink.
Attachments
pinkBox_Sm.jpg
pinkBox_Sm.jpg (2.97 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
so tough, so pink
takora

Post by takora »

I *love* my Shad case, I think it's a 36L? My first case was one of those canvas roll-bags and I was hugely disappointed with it. Have had no problems at all with the Shad, it's great!
sherides

Post by sherides »

I have a Shad 29 and I love it. No problems whatsoever.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

thanks takora & sherides
If anyone else has any thoughts on the Shads please post up.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I have the SH29. Overall, I'm perfectly satisfied with it. It's the perfect size to hold my work bag - a medium sized gym bag. I put my helmet in it when I'm parked - it doesn't fit in the pet carrier because it's a modular. I haven't had any problems with it in daily use.

The only cons I've run into:
- The mounting bolts that came with it were too short, so I had to buy some longer ones from the hardware store.
- I find it very difficult to remount it if I take it off the base. I have to literally hang from the front lip of the box to get it to snap down. If I took it on and off regularly, this might wear in. But I don't.
- There is no option to add a light kit. I removed the plastic fake reflector cover and put some reflective tape behind it. It's not as good as a real reflector or a light, but it's better than nothing.

I know my con area looks bigger than the pro area, but really, I'd recommend this case.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Thanks everyone
I just ordered my Shad SH29 (& new rack) from Anna at Scooterworks
& got 20% off because my order was over $100 (such a deal)
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

I'm mechanically disinclined (understatement of the year there). I did install the rear rack myself. That's about the extent of my ability. Do you think I'll be able to install the topcase?
so tough, so pink
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

this page has a link to the instructions
http://www.cycleluggage.com/shad-sh29-top-case.html

I havent mounted mine yet... but I am betting putting on the rack is harder than the case
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

^so easy a caveman could do it!
so tough, so pink
malakai

SH26 Shad

Post by malakai »

What is different in SH26? ($77) .

It is cheaper and dimensions are similar.
evilscooterkitty

Post by evilscooterkitty »

I SHAD on everything except my Kymco People 250 (Givi) and that's only because SHAD wasn't available at the time.

SHAD40 review: http://www.justgottascoot.com/shadsh40.htm
hungcanuck

Post by hungcanuck »

I have a Shad 37 and I use it all the time. Great for storing my helmet, groceries, fast food, leprechans, etc. You will not regret your purchase friend. Bought the back rest off Ebay and will install that shortly. Mine pops on and off easily with the quick release, haven't run into the same problem as the poster above.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I got the new rear rack but waiting on the top case (scooterworks ships those direct from SHAD)
Hopefully today....
that would make Saturday "uncover & fire up the scooter" day
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

ScootLemont wrote:Thanks everyone
I just ordered my Shad SH29 (& new rack) from Anna at Scooterworks
& got 20% off because my order was over $100 (such a deal)
Ah! Anna at Scooterworks. I met her at the Christmas sale. Very pleasant young lady..... and eye candy too!
Member 2715
Chrome Rear Rack
Genuine Top Case
Black Grips
Chrome Front Rack
Garmin GPS & Ram Mount
PIAA HS1
13g Dr. Pully Sliders
Everstart 9-BS AGM Battery
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

and she put Red Hots in the box with the rack!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Looking at the site in the link above, every top case appears to be 5 lbs in weight.

Which would be good for Genuine Buddy? Are there any that are too large or cause problems? Also, will they attach to the standard Buddy rear rack or are there issues there.
Last edited by pugbuddy on Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

ScootLemont wrote:and she put Red Hots in the box with the rack!
I know you are baiting me... and I am not going to go there! HA!
Member 2715
Chrome Rear Rack
Genuine Top Case
Black Grips
Chrome Front Rack
Garmin GPS & Ram Mount
PIAA HS1
13g Dr. Pully Sliders
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

pugbuddy wrote:Looking at the site in the link above, every top case appears to be 5 lbs in weight.
Which would be good for Genuine Buddy? Are there any that are too large or cause problems? Also, will they attach to the standard Buddy rear rack or are there issues there.
Since I dont have mine yet, I cant be much help but....
Looks like most will fit on the buddy rack (my rattler rack is smaller)
I think it comes down to how big do you want....
-looks
-cross wind
-& I believe you cant put that much weight on the tail end of your scooter any way because you can make the scooter unstable if you over load it back there - maybe 10 or 15lbs (although I am sure there are people on MB that often carry 300 to 400lbs on their rear rack in 15 bungied together 25 year old milk crates.... not that there is anything wrong with that :) )

I know there are a bunch of other top case threads that might have what you are looking for (I just started this because I didnt find any info on Shads)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

top case arrived today -
Hope to get it on by this weekend (in time for the rain)
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

ScootLemont wrote:
pugbuddy wrote:Looking at the site in the link above, every top case appears to be 5 lbs in weight.
Since I dont have mine yet, I cant be much help but....
Looks like most will fit on the buddy rack (my rattler rack is smaller)
I think it comes down to how big do you want....
-looks
-cross wind
-& I believe you cant put that much weight on the tail end of your scooter any way because you can make the scooter unstable if you over load it back there - maybe 10 or 15lbs (although I am sure there are people on MB that often carry 300 to 400lbs on their rear rack in 15 bungied together 25 year old milk crates.... not that there is anything wrong with that :) )

I know there are a bunch of other top case threads that might have what you are looking for (I just started this because I didnt find any info on Shads)
I just switched from a genuine topcase to a Givi E450 (45 liter) topcase. The recomended weight limit on the buddy rear rack is 11lb and this would include the weight of the topcase itself. I regularly load the Givi with my 13.5 lb packpack and the topcase itself weighs 6.6 lb for a grand total of about 20lb and I havn't had any problems with the rack or the ride becoming unstable, not that it doesn't make me a bit nervous. I will say my top speed has dropped a bit :) The large topcases look goofy as hell on the little Buddy, but it makes my commute way easier and the SHAD and Givi topcases come off real easy so I never leave mine on unless I need it.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Tenchi

Post by Tenchi »

My scoot shop had a Shad mounted on their demo Kymco 150 Super 8 and it looked great. It was the 29, any bigger and the wife would have an excuse to jump in....just kidding. :)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Just as a heads up, the weight limit isn't there just for ride characteristics. Under the plastic, there's not a whole lot to the rack mounts. The racks are also not exactly super duty rated. They're fine for their intended purpose, but I'd keep a watchful eye on it if I were almost doubling the rating everyday. Especially if you've got potholes, bumps, dips and other jarring road conditions.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
jasondavis48108

Lostmycage wrote:Just as a heads up, the weight limit isn't there just for ride characteristics. Under the plastic, there's not a whole lot to the rack mounts. The racks are also not exactly super duty rated. They're fine for their intended purpose, but I'd keep a watchful eye on it if I were almost doubling the rating everyday. Especially if you've got potholes, bumps, dips and other jarring road conditions.
yeah, I assumed that they recomend the 11lb weight limit for both structural as well as ride characteristic reasons. My problem was that if I followed thier recomeded limit I'd only be able to put about 4.4 lb in the topcase. I've decided to play is safe (while being reckless) and not put anything too valuable in the topcase for awhile so I can test it and see what happens. If I see any signs of damage then I'll just take the topcase off completly since 4.4 lb carrying capacity just isn't worth the extra bulk of the topcase. Hopefully it will work out fine. From what Ive read lots of folks go over the weight limit without problems so I'll just keep crossing my figures and hoping that nothing breaks :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

My rear rack broke last fall and I TIG (tungsten inert gas) welded it and added a 1/4 inch by 1 inch stainless steel bar underneath for support. Scooterworks replaced the rack (I havent changed it yet) because it will eventually rust where it was welded. The first picture is the two spots the rack broke and the second is how I reinforced it from underneath.
Last edited by Dean F on Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member 2715
Chrome Rear Rack
Genuine Top Case
Black Grips
Chrome Front Rack
Garmin GPS & Ram Mount
PIAA HS1
13g Dr. Pully Sliders
jasondavis48108

Very cool Dean. I've been trying to figure out a good way to reenforce my rear rack, but I don't have any welding equiptment and its been about 13 years since I've done any welding at all (high school auto shop days). You bring up a good point about the rust. I have the black rack mounted but I kept my old chrome rack as a back-up. Maybe I could have someone weld in some supports and then have the rack power coated black :) Although I suppose you don't want the rack to be stronger than whatever is holding it to the scooter :( I do have to say that its a bit sad that my bicycle rear rack is rated to support over 4 times the weight that the buddy rack is rated for.
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

jasondavis48108 wrote:but I don't have any welding equiptment
None of the reinforcement is welded to the rack. It is just 1/4 by 1 inch flat stock underneath the center support with a thin piece of rubber in between. The welding was done to the old rack where it broke in order to get by until the replacement rack came from Scooterworks. The replacement is still on my workbench in the box it was delivered in 8 months ago!
Member 2715
Chrome Rear Rack
Genuine Top Case
Black Grips
Chrome Front Rack
Garmin GPS & Ram Mount
PIAA HS1
13g Dr. Pully Sliders
jasondavis48108

Dean F wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:but I don't have any welding equiptment
None of the reinforcement is welded to the rack. It is just 1/4 by 1 inch flat stock underneath the center support with a thin piece of rubber in between. The welding was done to the old rack where it broke in order to get by until the replacement rack came from Scooterworks. The replacement is still on my workbench in the box it was delivered in 8 months ago!
Oh, thats awesome! Maybe I'll have to take a trip to the hardware store this weekend. I have do have a nice little drill press so working with the barstock wont be a problem. I wonder if there is a way to strengthen the connections to the scooter itself?
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

jasondavis48108 wrote:I wonder if there is a way to strengthen the connections to the scooter itself?
I don't know of anyone who has had the connections to the scooter fail. The failures that I am aware of are to the center support due to flexing and/or the fasteners shaking loose because they were not torqued properly.
Member 2715
Chrome Rear Rack
Genuine Top Case
Black Grips
Chrome Front Rack
Garmin GPS & Ram Mount
PIAA HS1
13g Dr. Pully Sliders
jasondavis48108

Dean F wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:I wonder if there is a way to strengthen the connections to the scooter itself?
I don't know of anyone who has had the connections to the scooter fail. The failures that I am aware of are to the center support due to flexing and/or the fasteners shaking loose because they were not torqued properly.
Thats good to hear. I still worry though that if the rack is made stronger then the connection at the scooter may become the weak link. We have some wicked potholes around here, and although I generally can avoid them, sometimes you hit one and it rattles your teeth. I guess if I were that worried about it though I'd stop overloading my rear rack :lol: I just refuse to accept the fact that my scooter isn't a car replacement and I see pics of folks in other countries with four people and a hole dead pig riding on thier scooters. I figure there has to be a way to safely haul my crap to work. I'm actually thinking about buying a 1000 watt electric bike motor and just coverting one on my bicycles to an electric. At 1000W it will be almost as fast as my scooter and I won't have to worry about the weight anymore. Then the scooter can live the easy life of a diva who doesn't have to work for a living (kinda like my cat) :lol:
malakai

Value added of additional hardware.

Post by malakai »

What I have noticed about top cases is --and most add-ons - that they don't add value to the scooter on re-sale. You can sell a scooter at the same price with or without : frontal rack, rear rack, top case,windshield...etc
I will be ordering a $45-$54 top case from amazon, this way I will not loose that much in a resale, or if it cracks open by heat or cold. I simply don't care if it is a brand name or not.
jasondavis48108

Re: Value added of additional hardware.

malakai wrote:What I have noticed about top cases is --and most add-ons - that they don't add value to the scooter on re-sale. You can sell a scooter at the same price with or without : frontal rack, rear rack, top case,windshield...etc
I will be ordering a $45-$54 top case from amazon, this way I will not loose that much in a resale, or if it cracks open by heat or cold. I simply don't care if it is a brand name or not.
this is very true. Thats why I'd take the stuff off and either keep it, or sell it separate from the scooter if I were to sell my scooter. (I'm thinking that won't happen anytime soon) :)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

finally got around to mounting my new SHAD
It looks better than I was afraid it would
I did have to pick up a couple longer screws (stainless steel) as the ones that came with wouldnt reach on the back.... but other than that it was a piece of cake

chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

^Your new topcase looks huge! What size is it?
so tough, so pink
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

chloefpuff wrote:^Your new topcase looks huge! What size is it?
yeah... its the angle of i took the photo from
as soon as I saw the pic on my pc I was like "hey... that looks big" & went back to the garage to look at it

Its only a 29 liter
its 14.9x15.7x11.8
The Genuine top case - medium from scooterworks is 17x15x12
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Anyway.... quality seem pretty good
it was easy to mount
I has a plastice mounting base & my guess it that will minimize the rattles that some people get with a top case.
It' really easy to take off & snap back on the base (but when it is locked, it is locked to the base - I assume all top cases are like that)
I think it has engough room for what I want it for

but as they say... time will tell

I will post up if any "issues" come up with this, but as of right now I am very happy with it & expect to stay that way.
sotied

Post by sotied »

Anyone tell me what size topcase I need to get a 13-inch laptop inside? Getting wicked tired of carrying the messenger bag on my back and figure why not get a topcase that will hold the computer and my other gear.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Jeff
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

dont know for sure... but one thing I did not anticipate was how much the locking mechanism ate into the interior of my top case.
But... It still works for what I need to carry, but just barely
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I think I'm going to order the SHAD 33 top case just to have a little more room.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).