Windscreen?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rajron

Windscreen?

Post by rajron »

Anyone have a windscreen on their Buddy 125?
Pictures?
For that matter what screens will work on the Buddy?
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

good question!
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

I think they are planning on having one when the accessories finally come out.
Anthony Hinegardner

windsreen

Post by Anthony Hinegardner »

Yes we put one on the wifes pink buddy .I think a windshield is the first upgrade to any scooter .If you plan on ridding at night it deflects just about everything including small stones from other traffic .I am not sure who made the windshield we have but it fits like a glove. I will see if I can put a picture on here so you can see it . I will also try to find out who makes it and what model it is .
rajron

Post by rajron »

Yes please show me a picture of the windscreen.
Also it will help alot to get the name of the screen you got, or maybe the dealer that put it on so I can ask him what he used.

Thanx
ellen

Post by ellen »

topic15.html

They apparently haven't made it to the dealers yet

sparty

Post by sparty »

My dealer said they won't hae any accessories until september. that's horrible. Why would they release all these advertisments to teases us? :cry:
ellen

Post by ellen »

First it was the end of June.. Then the end of July.. Now September????
YIKES!
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

But it'll all be worth the wait, I'm sure :sigh:
Shellee

Re: windsreen

Post by Shellee »

Anthony Hinegardner wrote:Yes we put one on the wifes pink buddy. I am not sure who made the windshield we have but it fits like a glove. I will see if I can put a picture on here so you can see it . I will also try to find out who makes it and what model it is .
I would definitely be interested in the information about the windshield you used. Thanks!
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

ellen wrote:First it was the end of June.. Then the end of July.. Now September????
YIKES!
Pathetic state of business.
A person could really clean up fabricating some of this stuff.
Gotta give the Tuttles a ring!
sparty

Post by sparty »

anyone else installed a windscreen? September is almost here. Let's hope genuine comes through with the accessories.
rajron

Post by rajron »

I am waiting for what they offer, I hope there will be a post on when they are here, or if someone gets info on what will fit our scoots.
sparty

Post by sparty »

I emailed Genuine and was told that I can preorder the windshields, and that they will be here in about 10 days. There are three sizes: small, medium, and large. Since I have no idea what they looks like (aside from the one in the Buddy broshure), I probably am not going to order one until later... I want to believe that the accessories are coming in two weeks, because the summer is almost over :-(
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

sparty wrote:I emailed Genuine and was told that I can preorder the windshields, and that they will be here in about 10 days.
LOL

I have some land for sale in Florida.....
sparty

Post by sparty »

Beamie wrote:
sparty wrote:I emailed Genuine and was told that I can preorder the windshields, and that they will be here in about 10 days.
LOL

I have some land for sale in Florida.....
Awesome! I always wanted to live in Florida.

Can't blame a guy for hoping. I don't know jack about manufacturing, but how long does it take to fabricate windschields? Also, ain't these accessories basically carried over from the PGO products in taiwan? :evil:
rajron

Post by rajron »

So I e-mailed Genuine Scooter as sparty did with specific questions like:
What size are the windscreens, and what is the price, oh and asked for an ETA.

Brett Ratner responded almost immediately with the pre-order and it will ship in about 10 days. I never did get the dimensions of the windscreens or the price but he did send a copy of an accessory flier with pictures of the windscreens and various other accessories something I haven’t seen before. He said this was a proof sheet and the text was wrong but the pictures should give a better idea on how the different screens look on the Buddy.
The mid size looks OK to me I think I will call the local dealer, New Urban Transport, in the morning to see what the cost would be.
sparty

Post by sparty »

rajron wrote:So I e-mailed Genuine Scooter as sparty did with specific questions like:
What size are the windscreens, and what is the price, oh and asked for an ETA..
Hey, rajron, I got the broshure from Genuine today too! I personally like the middle windscreen.
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

I love the small one with the black trim on the cream buddy, like mine. Please let us know when we can get it...
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

We have a pair of chrome back racks on order.
Sailn

Post by Sailn »

I really dig the front and back chrome racks. ( anything is better than the wire basket up front) I also like the mid size wind screen. Has anyone gotten pricing information yet?
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

DH and I have both ordered Chrome Back Racks; $49.95
sparty

Post by sparty »

called my dealer. got some more info about the windscreen. Can someone tell me which one is the small windscreen?

WSBUD1 - Short Buddy Screen
WSPRIMA1 - Universal screen, fits Buddy and Black cat.

I can't figure out which one of the two is the small one.. help?
gmon

Post by gmon »

Small screen $100, Large screen $110
Attachments
$110
$110
large windscreen.jpg (80.23 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
$100
$100
windscreen.jpg (86.8 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
just admit it , its fun
rajron

Post by rajron »

Those last two pictures from gmon show much better detail. The midsize looks like the universal one that fits the Black Cat, it doesn’t look as complete as the other two. The small screen looks very short, and the tall one looks, well it looks pretty funky. Has anyone seen the short one in person, I mean will it protect?
My wife has a full size screen on her People 150 it also looks funky but it works very well. I’m in a quandary – look good or practical?
sparty

Post by sparty »

so.. the top picture is WSBUD1? and the universal one is not pictured? For $100 I don't want to buy the wrong one...
rajron

Post by rajron »

Please don't trust me, I was just guessing but it sure seems like the short and long ones have similar lines except for the height.
I was thinking of getting the taller one and maybe cutting it to suit my taste - it couldn't be hard to cut plexiglass.
sparty

Post by sparty »

Anyone got the windscreens yet? Is it easy to install? From the pictures, it looks like I just have to remove the mirros, plug the windscreen in, and replace the mirros. Is that it?
James Tate

Post by James Tate »

That is sort of it, but the installation requires a fair amount of jimmying to get a clean fit. My screen came with a reverse-thread bolt that is too long (I piled some washers on it) and the black trim doesn't go all the way around, but it does block the wind very well. I do have some buffeting, but I assumed the shield should be wrapped around the light and that may not let air through. The tall one is really, really tall, but it will keep your brain from freezing on the way to work.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Seems like I have been waiting a long time for this moment – the windshields coming in.

Please post pictures so we can see what it looks like. My dealer should be getting them in soon but as of yet have not received them from the distributor.
sparty

Post by sparty »

I finally got the windscreen... but the instruction is in Italian... :-(
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

You could try putting the text into Babel Fish:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/ - it will translate literally and may be pretty humorous.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

gmon wrote:Small screen $100, Large screen $110
Gmon,
Where were these from? They are diff than the ones originally shown in brochures.
They cover the handlebar area and don't leave the gaps above the light.
sparty

Post by sparty »

Can someone give me some pointers on how to install the small windscreen?
I think I figured out how to remove the mirros and attach the replacements, but I have no idea how to install the black rubber things into the windshield. If you have the instructions, the piece I am having trouble with is #6, the one that's supposed to go INSIDE? the shoild.... I think. I have no idea how to push it through the shield .... and almost broke it in half.
brat

Post by brat »

I have not gotten one yet. Accessories have not made it to the west coast yet... :( But try using liquid soap on it. Might help to slide it on.
You only live once, so get off your ass and LIVE!!
sparty

Post by sparty »

finally got the windscreen install. It took a little force but ti wasn't too bad. I wish it comes with better instructions.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Pictures please!
I want to see what it looks like in a normal pic not one of the advertisments. My local dealer expects them in the shop by end of week and if they look good I will be having one on my scoot end of week also.
Show the attachment points also, please.
sparty

Post by sparty »

I am working out of state the rest of the week...so I won't be able to post pictures until this weekend :-(

James Tate, is your long bolt problem only affecting the right side? My left bolt was installed ok (the metal clamp thingy is completly closed). The right bolt, however, seemed to be having problem. The metal clamp thingy doesn't close. I guess I will try your suggestion later on piling some washers into the right attachment point. It's just silly that I have to do this...
James Tate

Post by James Tate »

Yes, the right hand, reverse-thread bolt is the only one that is too long. I would recommend six or so washers just to be sure you don't bottom out and damage the housing you are screwing into. Make sure to put them above the metal clamp so the height of the shield arm stays the same.
sparty

Post by sparty »

Thanks for confirming it... in a hurry to get the windscreen on... I didn't realize the bolt was too long and kept on screwing it.. I hope I didn't damage the housing :-( stupid accessories.
rajron

Post by rajron »

You all are pretty calm about the quality of the Buddy accessories – Me I am disappointed. Simply supply the correct hardware and it would be a different story but for me I received hardware that was either missing something or the guy that speced the parts list had too much to drink during lunch.
I like the wind shield, the looks, the performance, the design but the driver right side, the reverse thread bolt is nearly one inch too long for my scoot. The driver left side is at least 3 threads too long as well!
My solution was to add a bunch of washers and I also added split washers to lock the bolts and to take up space.
The rear rack is OK, sturdy but when I was in high school I could weld better than that.
Enough pissing and moaning –
I like how the parts look and as far as I can tell they will last for some time.
Here are some pics – check out my funky washer set up.
Attachments
New Screen and Rack IIresi.jpg
New Screen and Rack IIresi.jpg (98.25 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
Washers and someresi.jpg
Washers and someresi.jpg (39.11 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

I feel you, rajon. It looks like you got a little bit of a bum deal. My bolts were the correct size, however I over torqued one of them and the head snapped off. I wish they were a little stronger.

Anyhow, I went to my local hardware store and they hooked me up. So, if you want, you can probably go to your local hardware store and get a shorter bolt. Getting the reverse threaded bolt might be a little more difficult, but it can probably be done as well.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Or just cut it and file the thread
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
sparty

Post by sparty »

I finally took a ride with the newly installed windshcreen. It's defintely worth it! I was able to accelrate to 55+ and maintain speed without going full throttle.previously, I had to duck down in order to follow others on a posted 55 mph road.... but I no longer have to do that! I wasn't bother by the wind noise. Actually, with my open face helmet (and probably due to me being 5'5''), my chin no longer feels the windblast.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Nothing will fall off they way things are attached now so I will keep it that way until either I find the correct size bolts or maybe I will cut and file them to the right size, after all the metal is not that hard.
As for the performance; I didn’t get a chance to take it on my normal commute which includes several spots where 50 mph is required but during a short test ride to check things out it was obvious the windscreen will be a great benefit regarding stability and it keeps the wind off the torso which will help a lot when it gets colder.
Over all the windshield looks and functions very good I am glad that I added to the scoot and would recommend it to others that wouldn’t otherwise think of getting one. Oh yea I just rememberd the mirros are moved out to a position that improves rear view much better than before----
The windshield attaching hardware sucks and should be improved.
mybetty

Post by mybetty »

hey, rajron...your buddy is hot!! love the flames 8)
rajron

Post by rajron »

mybetty
Thanx that makes me feel good.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Those yellow wheels and foot rests look great too! Did you take the wheels off to paint them?

BR Not-David
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
rajron

Post by rajron »

BuddyRaton
Thanx
I did paint the wheels myself. I took the easy route by not removing the wheels from the tires, but I did remove the wheels from the bike, thinking in the future I may replace the wheels with an after-market and I did take the time to degrease and sand them with steel wool. It took nearly 2 weeks to dry properly (I was riding during that time) but the paint is now bonded to the base paint.
ellen

Post by ellen »

bwilms wrote:I over torqued one of them and the head snapped off.
That just happened to me about 10 minutes ago!!!!!!! Was going in fine. Had a little resistance so I pushed. The head went flying off. Now I am having a hell of a time getting bolt out. Tried a Vise Grip. But all thats doing is shreading the threads... :headache:

Anyone have any suggestions on getting the bloody thing out? :cry: