Rain, Rain, GO AWAY!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Blackeyes24

Rain, Rain, GO AWAY!

Post by Blackeyes24 »

I had the day from hell on my scooter yesterday.

I had to go to Miami, about 60 miles away to have the first service done on my bike. My mother followed me incase anything happened. We left about 9:30 taking back roads (still 3 lanes wide). It was gorgeous out and a great ride. I got there about noon, with one stop for coffee for my mom.

While they were working on the bike a horrible thunderstorm rolled through and I thought we were never going to get home in time (we had tickets to see the Kingston Trio in West Palm Beach). Finally the rain seemed like it was going to subside so we got on the road at about 3pm. I was wrong and the rain just got worse again but no more lightening thank God. I decided to take a different road back since the route down seemed like it was kind of out of the way for where we were. Turns out the second route was actually longer than the first even though it seems closer to my destination. I rode about 40 miles in the pouring down rain with nothing but my jean jacket.

Finally I saw the Truimph dealer, where our member scotsman works, and I decided to stop. He was kind enough to allow me to store my scooter there for the night. It was so funny because I pulled up sopping wet as Martyn was leaving. He rolled down his window, took one look at me, and said "your the girl from Delray arent you?" I said to my mother afterward that I was worried he would tell me he couldnt store the bike because of liability or something. She said "If you saw what you looked like you would have realized no one could have said no to you." I guess I
resembled a drowned rat. Denim is very heavy when wet.

I am so grateful to the guys at Pure Truimph for storing the bike
for the night. I dont know if I could have gone much further if they hadn't. By the time I finished the 40 miles that I managed to do I was so
cold I was on the verge of tears and my hands were cramping pretty
badly. I guess I learned not to believe the weather report when it says SCATTERED thunderstorm. More like constant rain.

Oh well off to pick up the scooter before the rain comes again. I think i might purchase some rain gear as well. It is rainy season down here in south florida after all.

Sarah
cdj68

Post by cdj68 »

Did you get much water in the front holder.
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

The front holder seems to drain itself. We get a lot of rain here in South Florida in the summer and I have never once seen water in the holder.
germ

Post by germ »

What about the seat? Is the seat water proof?
sparty

Post by sparty »

[quote="germ"]What about the seat? Is the seat water proof?[/quote]

The manual said don't put valuable stuff inside the seat because water might get in. However, there's a seal on the edge of the seat and so far things have remain dry inside my seat. We only had slight rain for the past week though, so I'm not sure how it'll hold up in a rain storm.
germ

Post by germ »

I was wondering cause the seat looks like cloth instead of leather. Does the seat absorb water?
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

mine is leather and water does not seem to get in and we are talking serious rain here. No hurricanes yet but some rain that felt like it.
germ

Post by germ »

Cool. I don't know why I thought the seat was a cloth. I grew up in New Orleans, so my last scooter has seen a few hurricanes. I have had to pick it up to walk it across flood waters. Even driven through people lawns to get home through flooded streets. Sorry about the grass folks but my scooter was more important to me. :twisted:
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

germ wrote: I have had to pick it up to walk it across flood waters. Even driven through people lawns to get home through flooded streets. :twisted:

You must be a lot stronger than me because I couldnt pick mine up if I tried.
germ

Post by germ »

It wasn't a buddy and I never said I did it alone.
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

My seat is vinyl (or vinyl-coated material), and having been caught in a heavy downpour, I can tell you it's very waterproof.
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

The underseat storage is waterproof enough to protect all of our fireworks on the extremely rainy trip up to the drag races last week and through the monsoon (heavy flooding etc.) over the weekend.

I routinely keep my GPS and stuff in there and I've rigged up a 12v power plug in the front drink holder.

http://www.lakeerieloop.com/video.html
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

Phil... how did you install the 12V receptacle?
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com