Pets on Buddies?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DonkeyScoot

Pets on Buddies?

Post by DonkeyScoot »

So I got my Buddy back in November and have been trying my best to create a little basket for my dog. There is a metal one that used to be sold called a "Road Hound" but I couldn't find one since the company has gone out of business. So, I had to make one and make sure it was secure and safe... well, as safe as it can be. I drive super slow, only during the day, and only on side streets of downtown San Francisco where I live. "Doggles" of course to protect her eyes from wind and dust. You won't believe how much she LOVES riding in this thing. It's one of her favorites. But, my lady friends told me I need to share the cute with others so here are some pictures. Anyone else take their pets on their scooters?

un_designer

Post by un_designer »

cute! :D

i tried putting my cat (in a cat carrier) on the floorboard of the scooter and went for 2 blocks before he peed all over himself and my sister had to carry him home. :cry:

OH! and i know exactly where that pic was taken too!
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
» Departed: 2004 Subaru WRX, 1999 1/2 VW GTI
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Very cute dog.

My cats would plan my execution if I took them on the scooter. My dog would have caused me to crash as she would have used the scooter as a spring board to launch herself at a rabbit.

I don't plan to ever take a pet (maybe a fish) on my scooter.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

do you have your cutie hooked in, or is she well-behaved enough to stay put?

I'm fairly confident that if I put my pug on the scooter and we saw a dog, cat, squirrel, runner, airplane, shadow, reflection, pizza place, or hot dog stand, she'd be off and tumbling...

Saw a helmetcam video of a guy whose dog would hop off, run a bit, then hop back onto his floorboard, all while moving. Thought it was Mordeth but I can't find it at the moment.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

That's awesome! First time I've seen a dog ride in front like that.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

Quo Vadimus wrote:Saw a helmetcam video of a guy whose dog would hop off, run a bit, then hop back onto his floorboard, all while moving. Thought it was Mordeth but I can't find it at the moment.
Yeah, that's Mordeth (aka: M13). His dog just sits on the floorboards, which I guess is okay to do in Taiwan.
Author of <a href="http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 10921">The International Donut Debacle</A>
DonkeyScoot

Post by DonkeyScoot »

Quo Vadimus wrote:do you have your cutie hooked in, or is she well-behaved enough to stay put?
She's very well behaved. She was being trained as a service dog when I adopted her so she does every well in these situations. She sees other dogs and pigeons and stuff but doesn't care. She's happy to ride in the basket.

She has a harness on and is strapped down with a little room. That way in a worse case scenario and I have to lay it down, she will fall out but not be ejected. I have a bunch of zip ties holding down the basket to a front rack and the bungie cords are just to be redundant for safety sakes. She just chills in it and has a good ol time riding around. We mostly go through Golden Gate park and never where there is any serious traffic.
ericalm wrote:That's awesome! First time I've seen a dog ride in front like that.
I tried everything I could have thought of to get it working in the back but nothing was safe and bounced around a lot. So I put her in the front. She does block the light but other than that, I can keep an eye on her so I think it works better this way.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

My cat would not make a good rider. He would likely hop off the scooter if he sees a dog, ran over and slap around that unfortunate canine. Siamese have their ways :twisted:
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

There is a guy who rides a motorcycle around hear. He has a custom trailer with a hole in the center cut out. The hole is so his dog can stick its head out without being able to jump out of the trailer. Its the cutest thing I've ever seen. That is the cutest thing I've ever seen before I saw a cute little dog wearing doggles :lol: I didn't even know there was such a thing.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Stormswift wrote:My cat would not make a good rider. He would likely hop off the scooter if he sees a dog, ran over and slap around that unfortunate canine. Siamese have their ways :twisted:
Ahhh yes 'crew-cut' cats, they're their own people..... :lol:
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

lol that's cute. i've thought about getting one of those bicycle trailers that people ride with their kids, and putting my cat in there.
jasondavis48108 wrote:There is a guy who rides a motorcycle around hear. He has a custom trailer with a hole in the center cut out. The hole is so his dog can stick its head out without being able to jump out of the trailer. Its the cutest thing I've ever seen. That is the cutest thing I've ever seen before I saw a cute little dog wearing doggles :lol: I didn't even know there was such a thing.
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
» Departed: 2004 Subaru WRX, 1999 1/2 VW GTI
KatieP

Post by KatieP »

This is one of the cutest things I've ever seen! I love the little pink glasses! :D
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

That's a great pic!
It's not too bumpy for her?

We have a woman here in Denver who rides a Stella with a sidecar. The sidecar is for her Bernese Mountain dog "Stella". they make quite an attractive pair!
Attachments
couldn't get a better shot, but this is Stella's Stella.
couldn't get a better shot, but this is Stella's Stella.
StellaSideCar.jpg (24.7 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
this is Stella!
this is Stella!
StellaDog2.jpg (28.86 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
DonkeyScoot

Post by DonkeyScoot »

jasondavis48108 wrote:There is a guy who rides a motorcycle around hear. He has a custom trailer with a hole in the center cut out. The hole is so his dog can stick its head out without being able to jump out of the trailer. Its the cutest thing I've ever seen. That is the cutest thing I've ever seen before I saw a cute little dog wearing doggles :lol: I didn't even know there was such a thing.
Oh yeah, they are official goggles for dogs. Name brand even. She also wears them when it's super windy at the beach cause she's so little and is so close to the ground that sand used to fly into her eyes. They make little helmets too ;)

http://doggles.com/doggles.html
Tocsik wrote:That's a great pic!
It's not too bumpy for her?

We have a woman here in Denver who rides a Stella with a sidecar. The sidecar is for her Bernese Mountain dog "Stella". they make quite an attractive pair!
Every time we made a basket for the back, it would bounce around a lot but the front rack basket is very sturdy. I of course try to avoid pot holes the best I can and if it gets too bumpy she will sit down in the basket like she knows what's going on but generally, the front isn't that bumpy from normal driving. I keep a pretty good eye on her in there while still paying attention to the road. To test it at first, we put a mid sized watermelon in there to see how much it would bounce around.

If my dog was bigger I think that the only option would be a side car. That's super cute though!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I'm fairly confident that if I put my pug on the scooter and we saw a dog, cat, squirrel, runner, airplane, shadow, reflection, pizza place, or hot dog stand, she'd be off and tumbling...
Pugs rock!
Hmmmm, picks of the other cute Stella? :wink:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

pugbuddy wrote:
Hmmmm, picks of the other cute Stella? :wink:
Yeah, I didn't want to look too much like a stalker, but since you asked..... that's her on the right in the pic of the scoot. You can get the general idea :wink:

And hey, to Stella's human (if you are out there), this is meant in a complimentary way. Hope nothing creepy comes across.
Attachments
crappy cell phone pic, enlarged
crappy cell phone pic, enlarged
StellaZoom.JPG (29.42 KiB) Viewed 2877 times
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I would never subject my angels (all feline) to the dangers of 2 wheels. They are too precious. And yes I see the irony.lol.... plus they would KILL me.
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

Cute dog! Looks great in the Doggles.

My cat loves being on the scooter...as long as the engine is off and it's firmly in place on the center stand.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Stormswift wrote:My cat would not make a good rider. He would likely hop off the scooter if he sees a dog, ran over and slap around that unfortunate canine. Siamese have their ways :twisted:
:lol: Dang right!!

My cat is half Siamese and half orange tabby. He's a big old lover boy! He's got those big blue Siamese eyes but mellow.

Now our old cat Puddie!! Well, she thought it was her duty to bitch slap any poodle in sight! :lol:
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

oops
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

omg!! that is the cutest thing ever!

i recently got a puppy myself, a 14 lb shih-tzu and i've always wanted to pack him on my scooter and ride to the dog park, but people were telling me that that's animal cruelty and might get pulled over by a cop

does anybody know for sure?
Vic

Post by Vic »

My 19 yr old cat, Zeke (a rescue cat-I can not be blamed for his enormous size) is too big for a scooter-no, seriously.

My one yr old cat, Izzy, just dropped a litter of kittens (yeah, I accept the blame for that, the surgery to prevent this problem from ever happening again is already scheduled) but she would very likely bitch slap ME and then I would never be safe in my own home again. She is a little 11 pound cat that rules over the house that I bought for her with a iron fist.

My dog, Beau (a Rot-terrier mixed breed) would very likely wet himself and then have a heart attack and my son would kill me. Any 28# dog that lets a kitten steal his food and gets up to let her lay in the middle of his bed... <sigh> I have no words for him. :roll:

-v
DonkeyScoot

Post by DonkeyScoot »

r0sa wrote:omg!! that is the cutest thing ever!

i recently got a puppy myself, a 14 lb shih-tzu and i've always wanted to pack him on my scooter and ride to the dog park, but people were telling me that that's animal cruelty and might get pulled over by a cop

does anybody know for sure?
I drive by cops all the time but I also live in a city where it's normal to take your dog into the grocery store so take that what you will.

If you feel that the container is safe enough for a small child, then it will be safe enough for your dog. They can get really... really hurt even if you just lay the scooter down so make safety your #1, #2, and #3 priorities when riding with a pet.

While none of them are 100% safe, it's not 100% safe for you either but if you are going to do it, make something that is super secure and as safe as it can possibly be then drive super slow away from traffic. Remember, their lives are in your hands.
ishi

Post by ishi »

This was from when my cat stole my scooter

Image[/img]
grettawiley

Post by grettawiley »

Take a look at Opee the Motocross Dog! :D

http://photo.mpora.com/motocross/collec ... ocross-dog
Who put the pepper in the vaseline?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

ishi wrote:This was from when my cat stole my scooter

Image[/img]
YOU hide the key now, don't you???
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

Of course your cat stole your scooter, it’s a cat burglar. You can tell because it has prison stripes on it's front legs and tail. :D
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
Tony McGurk

Post by Tony McGurk »

This is out 2 year old toy poodle, Dixie. I know my scoot's not a Buddy but it's all I got. Dixie's never been for a ride on Henry but agreed to pose for a photo.

She has a little pink puff jacket that would've looked the part for the photo but I never thought at the time to put it on her.
Last edited by Tony McGurk on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Been Scooterin' since March '2010 & luvin' it :-)
Tony McGurk

Post by Tony McGurk »

:shock: I always new cats couldn't be trusted...
Been Scooterin' since March '2010 & luvin' it :-)
amudzen

Post by amudzen »

They are not riding it but were nice enough to pose for a photo :)
Attachments
dalmatians scooter.jpg
dalmatians scooter.jpg (159.71 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

We're workin' on it!
amudzen

Post by amudzen »

Dage, cool picture! What kind of dog is that? I am guessing saint bernard?
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

Yep, I have three Saints. Two St Bernards and one St Tropez! :) This is Breccan.
Cassadaga

Post by Cassadaga »

my kitty on her buddy
Attachments
scoot.jpg
scoot.jpg (50.9 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Taking a dog for a spin is really a common practice among the sidecar set. The usual procedures are eye protection (doggles or the like) and a harness with a short strap attached to an eyebolt on the floor of the sidecar. Dogs seem to love the heck out of a ride in a sidecar - good visibility, good company. good smells, good deal! Now cats, on the other hand. Mine don't really like a ride in a car, let alone less substantial vehicles.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I think anyone can imagine what will happen if this feline thug does not like riding on a scooter. He does not have a particularly sweet personality to begin with....
Attachments
Cat2.JPG
Cat2.JPG (49.43 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Stormswift wrote:I think anyone can imagine what will happen if this feline thug does not like riding on a scooter. He does not have a particularly sweet personality to begin with....
OMG. I think that cat could beat the crap out of me! :lol:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
rajron

Post by rajron »

Very cute dog – I cant event get Tori (female Boxer) to wear anything but her collar much less wear goggles and ride my scooter. The daughter’s cat is even less cooperative.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ditto on that Skootz, that is one mean badass street brawlin cat.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

He looks ticked off because he hates having his picture taken. By the time he was 9 months old he was already booted out of 2 homes (for ancle biting). We got him from Humane society 16 years ago.
I am not a scooter snob.
TVB

Post by TVB »

My goldfish hates riding on my scooter. Doesn't like the car, either. Too much sloshing around.
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

I got the sidecar for Grace to ride in.
Attachments
grace in the sidecare.jpg
grace in the sidecare.jpg (4.79 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
grace in sidecar.jpg
grace in sidecar.jpg (5.23 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
Stormswift wrote:I think anyone can imagine what will happen if this feline thug does not like riding on a scooter. He does not have a particularly sweet personality to begin with....
:rofl:
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

dawg onit wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:
This cat really is a brawler and he does fight with his paws. Thankfully he is a house cat else there would not be any cats left alive in the neighborhood. Some smaller dogs will likely go missing also. :twisted:
I am not a scooter snob.
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

Stormswift wrote:
dawg onit wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote: OMG. I think that cat could beat the crap out of me! :lol:
This cat really is a brawler and he does fight with his paws. Thankfully he is a house cat else there would not be any cats left alive in the neighborhood. Some smaller dogs will likely go missing also. :twisted:
I'm definitely a dog kinda guy, but if I were to go the feline route I would have to get me one of those! 8)
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I've got one of those evil kittehs too. He looks small in
this picture, but he weighs almost 20 lbs!
I've got 2 other cats, they're nice though. I don't think any of them would tolerate a scooter ride, let alone enjoy it! :lol:
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

He looks ticked off because he hates having his picture taken. By the time he was 9 months old he was already booted out of 2 homes (for ancle biting). We got him from Humane society 16 years ago.
I am not a scooter snob.
AtlBuddy

Post by AtlBuddy »

here i am with my buddy and my buddy.
Attachments
IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG (81.14 KiB) Viewed 2366 times
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

KRUSTYburger wrote:I've got one of those evil kittehs too. He looks small in
this picture, but he weighs almost 20 lbs!
I've got 2 other cats, they're nice though. I don't think any of them would tolerate a scooter ride, let alone enjoy it! :lol:
Thats what I'm talk'n bout. I don't want a snobby "pet me when I want" kitty.
I would simply have to insist on a lion trapped in a domesticated body, with thoughts I can clearly read. I believe thats why I enjoy the kittens more, as they are still curious, tough, and not as influenced by us humans. The tuff cats get all my respect. I do have a heart for all animals, I think we all do. :wink:
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Thats what I'm talk'n bout. I don't want a snobby "pet me when I want" kitty.
There's another kind?!? :wink:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).