How many miles do you put on your scooter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JoshInLA

How many miles do you put on your scooter?

Post by JoshInLA »

I'm sure this has been done before, but I was unable to find anything using the search tool. Either way, I figure I have not seen a thread on this topic since I started lurking, and if it's been done this can be an update.

How many miles on your scoot?

How long have you had it?

How many months a year do you ride?

If you thought about it before your purchase, do you ride more or less than you expected?

For me-

1149 miles

8 weeks

I will ride year round

More. Way More. I thought I would do about 3k a year, but I have been taking her as often as is possible. Basically if it's not raining and I have no company (dog or human) I scoot. Maybe I'll get over it, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. I hate driving a car even more than I did before.....I just feel like such a sucker sitting in traffic I could be going through.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

12K miles on my '08 which I bought in late Summer/early Fall of that year. I put on about 200 - 250 miles/week. I ride year-round unless there is ice or snow predicted or still on the ground. I ride with temps in the low 20's but that is about my limit (or the limits of my gear).
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

28,200 miles on my bike, I bought it in March of '08. I ride it 50-100 miles a day(work is 50 round trip) every single day of the week year round.
I ride it the distance and amount I'd planned on when I purchased it, which was as a 100% replacement of the 1970 Plymouth that WAS my daily driver till gas got over $3.
Last edited by Kaos on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I've put about 4500 miles on Flash since I got him a year ago. About three months of that time was in storage, and about 1200 miles of that was in a single week-long road trip, so I'm typically doing a little over 350 miles/month. That's more than I anticipated, mostly because I thought I'd still be riding the bicycle more. I'm not sure exactly, but I'd guess I've driven the car about 3500 miles in the same time period.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I've got 13350 on my 2009 buddy who's 13 months old. I, too, thought about 3k a year and once thought 80miles in a day was a doosey. Now if I don't go so far that I need to camp or rent a room, it doesn't feel like a "ride" :)

Just scooted San Diego to Palm Springs this past weekend. Was planning on over 400 miles but the weld on my Prima Pipe cracked and some of those roads around the outskirts of the Salton Sea and particularly the Salton Borrego Seaway are ROUGH. I didn't risk so I came home only clocking 300 miles for the trip.

I hope you don't lose the stoke. we're lucky we can scoot year round!
sotied

Post by sotied »

Holy crap on a Kringle!

You guys ride a ton!

I've been getting stares and OMG looks from people for my measly total but you guys are rock stars.

Scootle was new in June 2008 when I got her from Javaspeed in Providence. There are 6680 miles on her (so that's about 3300 per year. I don't ride totally year round as it gets chilly here in the Boston area, but I probably ride nine months out of the year.

And I ride MORE than I thought I would when i bought it. I originally purchased the scoot as a romantic diversion. No, not to divert my mind from horrible romances gone awry, but because I go to Europe frequently and love the romanticism of the scooter culture over there. Figured I'd get one here and ride it the 1.5 miles to the local cafe, have a Croque Madame and then ride home 1.5 miles. That would have come to 3 miles a day...most days.

Now it's silly if I don't put 30 on it when I start it up. More likely it's 50+.

Still impressed at 13K in 13 mo. Yikes.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
kooky scientist

Post by kooky scientist »

I've had my Buddy 50 for 21 months. I've ridden 19 of those months and put 10,600 miles on it.

This winter was the first winter I rode all through it. Surprisingly easier than I thought. Since I live on the coast snowfall is milder and could ride most days.
brape

Post by brape »

How many miles on your scoot? about 3400

How long have you had it? Purchased in May of 2008

How many months a year do you ride? Regularly April - March and any nice days in the cold season

If you thought about it before your purchase, do you ride more or less than you expected? A lot less. Last season was extremely wet and I got a job in my moms office which ment we carpooled to work. I'm hoping this summer will see more riding and maybe a few 200 miles trips up to where we climb/camp. (Since I am now unemployed and can take a whole day to ride to and from.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Just turned 3,300 on the way home today. It had just a hair over 1,000 miles when I bought it, so 2,300 of those are mine.

Since July 09, so about 8 months

So far, I haven't stopped riding. So for this year, I'll say 12 months. However, we had a really mild winter with no real snow or ice, so I don't think I'll be able to do that every year.

If you thought about it before your purchase, do you ride more or less than you expected?

I ride more than I expected. I had hoped to use it as a daily commuter, but I really thought I'd wind up parking it for the winter. Once I got used to riding in the rain, though, it turned out that I didn't need to park it. So even though I may wind up parking it some next year, if we get snow or ice, I do still expect to ride some during the winter, which is more than I thought I would.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

pdxrita wrote: How many months a year do you ride?
So far, I haven't stopped riding. So for this year, I'll say 12 months. However, we had a really mild winter with no real snow or ice, so I don't think I'll be able to do that every year.
Other than the week of single digit and low teens temperatures that is :)
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Kaos wrote:
Yeah. I wear it as a badge of honor that I rode to work in 16 degree weather :D. Though maybe it just means I should be locked away, for my own safety :shock:. Gotta say, though, today's ride home was amongst the worst so far. I really thought I was gonna blow over a couple of times. Nasty, nasty wind....
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

You guys are lucky to have Miles in your odometer. Mines in KMH. But there is MPH on the speedometer.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

pdxrita wrote:
Kaos wrote:
Yeah. I wear it as a badge of honor that I rode to work in 16 degree weather :D. Though maybe it just means I should be locked away, for my own safety :shock:. Gotta say, though, today's ride home was amongst the worst so far. I really thought I was gonna blow over a couple of times. Nasty, nasty wind....
I know what you mean. My co-workers had a pool going to see which day I'd give up riding in. They were very disappointed that I made it through the whole week :)

I'm usually comfortable in any weather, but today was AWFUL! I thought I was going to get blown right off the Oregon City bridge as I crossed it!
Milktown

Post by Milktown »

17,500 miles

owned it two years (had a 06 buddy 50 a year before sold it with 5000 miles)

ride it about 10 months a year. i would ride it more but with Chicago winters with all the ice/snow/salt mix on the road its not the best idea.

i ride it waaaayyyyyy more then i though i would ever ride it.
A.D.I.D.A.S. All Day I Dream About Scooting.

im down for whatever, if your down for the same.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Kaos wrote: I know what you mean. My co-workers had a pool going to see which day I'd give up riding in. They were very disappointed that I made it through the whole week :)

I'm usually comfortable in any weather, but today was AWFUL! I thought I was going to get blown right off the Oregon City bridge as I crossed it!
Yikes! I think I would have had to ... ummm.. change my pants... if I had to cross a bridge in this wind! :lol:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Just about 22K since late '06. It would be much higher if I'd been commuting, but I've worked from home the past 2 years. (Now happily commuting again!)

I ride 12 months out of the year.

I ride much more than I thought I would when I bought my first scoot. I didn't even give much thought to touring or doing much more than recreational riding around the city. So wrong. Ha.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

I average about 170 miles a week from May to September (I don't like to ride when it's below 65 because I'm a wuss). I work from home so it's all pure joy riding.

Current mileage: 3375

Owned for 10 months

5 month riding season

As expected; I put more or less the same miles on my Yamaha Vino which I purchased a year before the Buddy.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Got about 9500 on there now, averaging around 4k per year...

I ride almost everyday, the reason there are so few miles is because every place I ride to on a regular basis is literally
within a 3-mile radius of my house. It's usually a good thing, but kind of annoying since it makes me ride less. :?

'Course I did ride to New Orleans to Baton Rouge and back for the rally last weekend... about 800 miles round trip.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Back and forth to work any day it isn't raining or snowing. Joy rides and trips to the store whenever possible. I got my Buddy new Memorial Day of 2009. I have 2200 miles. I thought I was riding it a lot but compared to some of these other posts..........well..sheesh! I'm a wimp.
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
db

Post by db »

13,500 on this one and about 13,000 on my 2006 before i crashed it
gr8dog

Re: How many miles do you put on your scooter?

Post by gr8dog »

How many miles on your scoot? 8200

How long have you had it? Purchased June 2008

How many months a year do you ride? March/April thru November

If you thought about it before your purchase, do you ride more or less than you expected? It's actually about as much as I thought I would ride.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

April to October of '09 4500 (s)miles :D
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

i find myself fighting to not ride my 09 Rattler so much... in the 14 months iv owned my Rattler its been down time of 3 months and i have 6,650 miles,,, mostly just riding around in a big circle...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
Vic

Post by Vic »

How many miles on your scoot? The Buddy has a little over 11k miles on it and the Sym has 4k on it. I bought the Buddy used but it had within about 200 miles of what the scooter that it was replacing had on it-and I bought that one new.

Bought my first scooter June of 2008. bought the Buddy Sept 2008 but only rode it for about a week before it died on me and was basically inoperable until April 2009. I got the Sym in August 2009.

Did not ride from the end of Sept 2008 through April 2009 because I did not have a operational scooter and did not ride from December 2009 through early/mid March 2010 because of Ohio weather.

a lot more than I expected, I have not managed to put 5k miles on my car since getting the scooter! 2008 was a really difficult year for me, personally, and I did a lot of scooter therapy-there is just something about hopping on that little scoot and heading off with nothing to think about but what is around the next bend... I really believe that scooter got me through that year with my sanity intact (well as much as I had before that year :wink: )

-v
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I've put a little over 12K on my scoot since I got it in 2006. I probably ride 9 months out of the year, depending on the weather. I've only taken one big trip so far but will be doing one more in May with Amerivespa!

Right now, I feel a little restricted since I cannot find a good helmet that fits and it's insanely windy (averaging around 30 mph) here in OK!

I'm probably riding less than I hoped when I first got the scoot.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pugbuddy wrote:I'm probably riding less than I hoped when I first got the scoot.
The saddest thing I've read in a long time!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Vic

Post by Vic »

pugbuddy wrote: Right now, I feel a little restricted since I cannot find a good helmet that fits and it's insanely windy (averaging around 30 mph) here in OK!
Wind sucks. :( I hope the weather sorts itself out soon and you can get out and ride. :)

-v
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

13,734 miles

14 months.

year-round, mercury and weather depending.

Less than I intended to, but it's climbing in usage as I figure things out.
I was expecting to use the scooter for 80% of my annual mileage; it ended up being 50%. I underestimated how much I haul stuff, from heavy weight to the puppy to carpooling, but I'm working towards car-optional.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

How many miles on your scoot? 8800

How long have you had it? 16mo's

How many months a year do you ride? 13

If you thought about it before your purchase, do you ride more or less than you expected? My scooter is my only transportation so in that regard I ride exactly as much as expected. But I work out of my home and in that regard I ride less. There are many weeks when I may only ride one or two days and even then it is only to run a local errand; probably less than 10 miles total.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

9400 miles after two riding seasons.

Typical riding season for Montreal is late March/beginning of April to whenever the first serious snow begins (usually by November or December). About 8 months or so of riding per year.

I've found I ride it a bit less on the weekends. I commute every day during the work week, so taking one or two days off to walk around or putter about the neighborhood is refreshing. I usually manage one or two major rides per month.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

How many miles on your scoot? 15,007 on the Buddy and 6,000 on the Stella

How long have you had it? Buddy, since April '08, Stella since Aug '09

How many months a year do you ride? It's AZ! Year-round!

If you thought about it before your purchase, do you ride more or less than you expected? More. Once I help found a scooter club, my mileage went up a lot. Got to be at every ride, you know.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
bpatrick5

Post by bpatrick5 »

Hit 717 miles today on the way to work. Bought the 150 St. Tropez in July 2009 (8 months-ish). Work is 3 miles from home and I scoot to work 3 days per week. The rest of the week, I have a passenger.

I thought I'd ride a little more than I do. I expect to increase the monthly mileage to about 200-300/month by summer. I ride year round. Sort of chilly in the winter (38-42 on the way to work). But, not too bad. I definitely prefer the warmer temps.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

bpatrick - Where you at in AZ? You ought to come to Tucson and ride with us sometime.

Howard
skyislandriders.com
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
bpatrick5

Post by bpatrick5 »

We're in Scottsdale. I've been envious of you all in Tucson. You guys are super active in doing things each month. Phoenix doesn't seem very organized, except for the big event last fall. If I ever get a chance, I'd love to scoot down to Tucson.
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

Over 12,345 miles on my 2008 Buddy 125.

Have owned it since Summer 2008.

I ride 12 months a year, commuting approximately 50 miles most days. It is about what I expected when I purchased it.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Vic wrote:
pugbuddy wrote: Right now, I feel a little restricted since I cannot find a good helmet that fits and it's insanely windy (averaging around 30 mph) here in OK!
Wind sucks. :( I hope the weather sorts itself out soon and you can get out and ride. :)

-v
I agree other than ice, wind is the worst. I would rather ride in light to moderate rain than 30mph wind, esp on the bud.
as far as the question, I have about 12,000 under my belt from '06 on 3 scoots.
ilektron

Post by ilektron »

Just hit the 5k mark a couple weeks ago. Bought my scoot July '08. My I ride about 8 miles, 6-8 times fortnightly, year freakin' round. The weather that keeps me from riding here is when it rains, 3 times a year. :D
Dad, I know everything.
- 3y/o Son
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Vic wrote:

-v
Day before yesterday the wind picked up, hasn't let up yet, but on my ride home into the wind I lifted up off the seat at 60 mph!! Scared the "you-know-what" outta me!!!!