Oil Prices

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

iwabj

Oil Prices

Post by iwabj »

oops
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
db

Post by db »

Man, I remember when I first got my license. Less than a $1 a gallon. The good old days, not that I'm that old yet and it was only for a summer, maybe a bit longer
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

my first job off the farm was at a gas station... gas was .11/gal.
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I heard an industry analyst on NPR (Marketplace, probably) yesterday saying they expect oil prices to peak earlier than usual this year, and gas prices to hit a national average high of $3/gal. (Already higher than that in LA.)

He also said that the real spikes will occur in 2011/2012.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

good thing the buddies get great mileage heehee. i love going to the gas station and barely putting any gas in. the next couple of years is going to be interesting as more and more 35+mpg cars start to hit the market.
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
» Departed: 2004 Subaru WRX, 1999 1/2 VW GTI
Vic

Post by Vic »

un_designer wrote:good thing the buddies get great mileage heehee. i love going to the gas station and barely putting any gas in. the next couple of years is going to be interesting as more and more 35+mpg cars start to hit the market.
I just wonder how many people are going to drive MORE because they can go farther on less gas...

-v
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

Vic wrote:
un_designer wrote:good thing the buddies get great mileage heehee. i love going to the gas station and barely putting any gas in. the next couple of years is going to be interesting as more and more 35+mpg cars start to hit the market.
I just wonder how many people are going to drive MORE because they can go farther on less gas...

-v
you are a wise sage i say :D

it's true actually... i forget where i read it, but it's been found that people who bought the prius ended up driving more than when they had a less efficient car for that exact reason.
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
» Departed: 2004 Subaru WRX, 1999 1/2 VW GTI
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I know I don't analyze the efficiency of my errand-running nearly as much when I'm on my scooter compared to the car. About the only thing I analyze is time out and about, not so much the gas used on the scooter.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I would still like to know why gas is more expensive in California. WTF?

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
TVB

Post by TVB »

I would guess state taxes are part of the reason. But it probably comes down to the age-old question: what price will the market bear to maximize profit? If Californians are willing to buy the same amount of fuel at a higher price, that's what the oil companies will charge.
Croatoan

Good Web Site to get the Oil Scoop

Post by Croatoan »

This page is in my RSS feeds:

http://theoildrum.com/

Great information on all things oil. It was the main reason I gave up four wheels ten years ago and why I just got my Buddy 125 today!

Oh, and hi y'all.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Another NC'er! Welcome. :)
Croatoan

Post by Croatoan »

Hey, thanks Chesire. I will be doing some long rides this summer and will be out towards Asheville for sure.

Nice day for riding today at 90+, yeah?
crackhead

Post by crackhead »

Cheshire wrote:Another NC'er! Welcome. :)
And another Ashevillian I see. Wanna ride?
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

crackhead wrote:
HOLY CRAP!! :shock: I'm not alone in this town?!?
Heck yeah!! :D

Myers Motorcycle (out on Sweeten Creek) has started a motorcycle social-type event saturday mornings, btw. They're carrying Genuine now, in case you didn't know. I've missed the last couple ones, but I try to go when I can. You should come out. :)
crackhead

Post by crackhead »

Cheshire wrote:
crackhead wrote:
HOLY CRAP!! :shock: I'm not alone in this town?!?
Heck yeah!! :D

Myers Motorcycle (out on Sweeten Creek) has started a motorcycle social-type event saturday mornings, btw. They're carrying Genuine now, in case you didn't know. I've missed the last couple ones, but I try to go when I can. You should come out. :)
Sorry to post-mort but just saw Cheshire's response to my question 6 months later! Cheshire, PM sent.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I guess you meant GAS Prices, and not Oil.

I thought this was going to be a post about how much does one spend for a quart of oil (for those who do their own oil changes).

BTW, I go to Advanced Auto Parts and buy motorcycle oil for about $5 a quart.

We have to be careful and make sure to get the right viscosity for each scooter. We have a Buddy, Chetak, SYM, and a brand new Kymco 250.
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

I'm not happy paying $8 for a pint, not quart, of performance 2-stroke oil. If that's what you're driving at.

For gas prices. I have some 70's playboy mags with adverts of cars produced at the time of the oil embargo. Several Auto Manufacturers started producing smaller more economical cars. Most of them got 40mpg+ All with no fancy batteries, turbos, direct injection etc. etc.

I realize that emission standards and increased curb weights is what the battle is today for an efficient car. Come on though, have we come that far? Same MPG....... as 1975!
06' Rattler 70bbk, pipe, vari, clutch/center springs
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Johnny5 wrote:I'm not happy paying $8 for a pint, not quart, of performance 2-stroke oil. If that's what you're driving at.

For gas prices. I have some 70's playboy mags with adverts of cars produced at the time of the oil embargo. Several Auto Manufacturers started producing smaller more economical cars. Most of them got 40mpg+ All with no fancy batteries, turbos, direct injection etc. etc.

I realize that emission standards and increased curb weights is what the battle is today for an efficient car. Come on though, have we come that far? Same MPG....... as 1975!
Curb weight has quite a bit to do with it. I had a 1969 Dodge Dart with a 5.2L 318ci small block and a 4 speed, it could do 30mpg, and had almost 300HP.

But it also only weighted 2700lbs. Which is less than even a modern Honda Civic.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

A friend of mine drove a turbo diesel VW in the early 90's that was capable of 45 to 50 mpg (when he drove it conservatively) that made more power than a Prius and handled better too.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
heyitsomid

Post by heyitsomid »

california's refining costs are higher. They need to put out cleaner gas to pass CARB emissions. Ultimately the cost of all the air pollution measures come down to the consumer and we end up with more expensive gasoline. I filled up in Israel this summer and jeeze, I almost suffocated at the pump from all the fumes, so i'm not against the measures at all.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I had a '77 Volkswagen Scirrocco (sp?) 5 spped manual and I consistently got 40mpg. It irritates me that new cars now are considered to be super efficient when they get 33mpg.

Howard

I miss that car, (sniff)
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Howardr wrote:I had a '77 Volkswagen Scirrocco (sp?) 5 spped manual and I consistently got 40mpg. It irritates me that new cars now are considered to be super efficient when they get 33mpg.

Howard

I miss that car, (sniff)
I also like the Scirocco, but it doesn't have cup holders... :( :)
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Kaos is right, though, cars are much heavier today than they were 'back then'. In large part weight = safety, and those old cars weren't very safe, what with two point seat belts, minimally padded dashes and spears for steering columns. Cars just aren't what they used to be.
JohnnyS wrote:I have some 70's playboy mags
Bet they aren't either. :wink:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Myfirst car was 1980 honda CVCC, (before they started calling them civics) and that car would get way more than 33 mpg, now my scion XA gets less than that? They couldn't weigh that much different?
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wheelz wrote:Myfirst car was 1980 honda CVCC, (before they started calling them civics) and that car would get way more than 33 mpg, now my scion XA gets less than that? They couldn't weigh that much different?
From what I could find online, a 1980 CVCC 3-dr was 1653lbs. vs. the Scion xA's 2,341 lbs.

The CVCC manual 4-spd MPG rating was 35/45. It would be somewhat lower today because the EPA has changed how it calculates fuel economy several times.

Still, I think a big difference aside from increased weight is engine performance. The Honda had a max. power output of 60hp @ 5,000 RPM. The Scion has 108hp @ 6,000 RPM. Buyers these days would balk at a car the CVCC's size with its power output. (Unless they were buying a Smart.)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
easy

Post by easy »

I got a 84 honda crx and a 08 civic. The crx feels stronger and faster because its a whole lot lighter and gets better mpg to boot. It feels like a giant go cart. The civic umm is good to wreck in.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

easy wrote:I got a 84 honda crx and a 08 civic. The crx feels stronger and faster because its a whole lot lighter and gets better mpg to boot. It feels like a giant go cart. The civic umm is good to wreck in.
Had a '90 CRX, it cruised like grease lightning! very punchy, whipped around turns, and squeezed into the tightest of spaces, that was the original "smart car". I also got at least 40mpg on it as well. Then I got stupid and parted ways with it. (the only car I'll miss).

I know, I look like a tool. *EDIT: that photo is over 10 years old*
Attachments
crx.JPG
crx.JPG (26.44 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
Last edited by BootScootin'FireFighter on Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lendlees

Post by Lendlees »

babblefish wrote:A friend of mine drove a turbo diesel VW in the early 90's that was capable of 45 to 50 mpg (when he drove it conservatively) that made more power than a Prius and handled better too.
We currently drive a 2005 Jetta TDI and it gets between 35-50 mpg depending on in-city or highway driving. We looked at a Prius and went for the Jetta and are really glad we did. Plus, it's pretty fun to drive. (not as much fun as the Buddy, of course)
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

Lendlees wrote:
babblefish wrote:A friend of mine drove a turbo diesel VW in the early 90's that was capable of 45 to 50 mpg (when he drove it conservatively) that made more power than a Prius and handled better too.
We currently drive a 2005 Jetta TDI and it gets between 35-50 mpg depending on in-city or highway driving. We looked at a Prius and went for the Jetta and are really glad we did. Plus, it's pretty fun to drive. (not as much fun as the Buddy, of course)
Your cost of ownership on the TDI will be considerably lower, too. Good choice.

At 110-120K the Mk III and Mk IV (yours is a Mk IV, I believe) VWs start doing some strange things. Spend the money for the regular maintenance on it, even if it seems high. The $300-400 you spend on scheduled maintenance will save you $3-4K later. It is a common tale for a VW owner to be facing repair bills higher than what the car is worth. Reg. maintenance mitigates that risk considerably.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I sorta miss my '80 Bobcat (Pinto with lockwashers). Ugly as a cold sore and about as mechanically refined as a shovel. But with a 4-speed manual it regularly got in the mid 30's highway and mid 20's city.

Also a great car for tooling around Manhattan because of it's "go ahead, hit me, and we'll both die in a fireball" reputation.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Driving speeds were lower than they are now, as well. In the 80's, the interstate speed was 55 mph. Today, as soon as I-40 gets off the mountain it's 70 mph. In Texas (I think) there are stretches of interstates that are 80 mph.

You need the extra performance in today's vehicles just to keep from getting run over! Fuel economy is the sacrifice to convenience and now-now-now.