speedometer accuracy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dcedce

speedometer accuracy

Post by dcedce »

Buddy 125 owner new to the forum here. I'm extremely happy with the Buddy -- it gets me back and forth to work every day in style. But I do have two small issues/concerns/complaints -- one is with the seat latch (which I'm going to ask about in another post) and the other is with the speedometer.

I've read and heard that speedometers on the Buddy and other scooters are often "generous," exaggerating the bike's actual speed. I haven't tested my Buddy's speedometer with any accuracy (with a GPS or something) but my loosey goosey test ride beside my wife's car confirms that my speedometer reads about 5mph over my actual speed. Has anyone else looked into this? And, assuming this is a common problem, does anyone know why? Do motorcycles have similar issues?
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

Yup, it's common. From what I've heard and read, most brands of scooters have a similar type of optimistic reading. I don't know if I would consider it a problem. I can understand why it's done. When I ride, I mentally deduct a few miles from the reading on my speedo to try to gauge my actual speed. I think many motorcycle makers do this as well, not just scooters. I've heard it's also done in the automobile industry.
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Hi! We have used a GPS and the Buddies read 5 mph over your actual speed.

As far as the latch, I just had my scooter in the shop for the 500 mile Warranty work and mentioned it to the mechanic. He lubed it with WD40 and now it works great! I may have to do that every once in awhile but that's OK for now.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

I need some clarification on the speedometer issue. So, it reads 5 mph over when it's at max speed or always? I am new to scootering and want to ensure I am keeping up with the speed limit. Shall I increase my speed 5 mph in a 30 zone for example.

Thanks. Everyone's input is much valued for a scooter virgin such as myself. :bat:
Laura
dcedce

Post by dcedce »

from a post on another forum...
My wife and I took a trip (her in our car, me on the buddy) to gauge
the speeds according to the speedometer and actual top speed.

Here's what we found:

Buddy says ??mph - Actual Speed
30 - 28
35 - 31
40 - 36
45 - 40
50 - 45
55 - 49
60 - 53
65 - 59
That was the top speed I could reach. No modifications made to the bike.
So the question still remains -- why are these speedometers so inaccurate?
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Thanks. That is very helpful... assuming that's fairly accurate!

Cheers, :wink:
Laura
b0gman

Post by b0gman »

mine reads about the same its about 10% optomistic according to the police radar things that are set up around richmond
rick71454

Post by rick71454 »

Hello dcedce:

Thank for your clarifcation and chart of your Buddy vs Actual speedometer readings. Mine Buddy 125 gives 20% or twice the gap over actual speed, such as 59 Buddy MPH when 50 Actual MPH.

This kind of thing makes me wonder why manufactures dont produce accurate speedometers.

And 50 Actual MPH is my top speed, which means to me, not all Buddys are created nearly equal in top speed capability, and or some of us needs to check our Buddys to find out if something is wrong.

I wished I had one of the faster ones like yours.

Rick71454
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

We have a FAQ for that!
topic10818.html#139168

The low down on scooter speedometer accuracy.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

That's why there are Buddy miles and real miles. You get much better gas milege using the Buddy miles.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Tazio wrote:That's why there are Buddy miles and real miles. You get much better gas milege using the Buddy miles.
Hmm... maybe I can put some Buddy Gas into my Astro van and start getting Buddy Miles.. :lol:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I'd like some Buddy gas also. Anything has to be better than the watered down stuff they sell in the SSRK. I just ticked over 9000 Buddy miles today. That's 8100 real miles. By gps, my milege has been 104.4 mpg. Using Buddy miles I'm getting 116 mpg.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
Syd

Post by Syd »

Tazio, can you confirm that your odometer is also wrong by the same amount as the speedo? My understanding was that odometers were close, speedos not, both in part due to federal legislation. My old HD200 was just that - optomistic speedo, accurate odo.

I still think the shrinking diameter of the tire causing the difference in the speedo reading idea is all BS. I think the manufacturers are required to read fast, and as long as it's fast, how wrong it is isn't worth worrying about.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Yeah, I thought when I posted this question in a round about way, that the odometer was a separate drive, and was pretty darn accurate? Now I'm wondering again.... Bur I'm to nervous to ask again, lolol
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The odometer uses the same cable, but different gears/mechanism and should be fairly accurate. Certainly shouldn't have the degree of deviation that the speedometer has. Deviant speedos. :twisted:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

ericalm wrote:The odometer uses the same cable, but different gears/mechanism and should be fairly accurate. Certainly shouldn't have the degree of deviation that the speedometer has. Deviant speedos. :twisted:
Cool, that what I thought...I need to check mine with the GPS and some mile markers... I spent about 6 hours one day after installing a "speedo healer" calibrating it... for a Motorcycle I had, they even give the option to input tire wear+tire size and about 100 other things....Only good for digital meters though..
rick71454

Post by rick71454 »

Hello Syd;BuddyLand:

Hey Sid........so funny in your post......

If one were to measure the circumference on their front tire where the speedometer sensor is.... with full tread........ then compare the circumference after the tire wore out to the cords, about 1/4 inch for some tires, one would find a higher speedometer reading, due to a smaller tire circumference and more RPM,,,,,,,,, compared to actual speed.

How much difference?.......
not enough that most people would care, that I can agree with you on.

My Buddy 125 is 20% too fast on the speedometer and
6% too high on the odometer.

Rick71454
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

My speedometer 16.7% optimistic. Riding 5mph over in slow areas and 10mph over is fast areas has been the easiest way to deal with it. A taller front tire would help, but there's not much room. It's become an accepted (frustrating) reality.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

My odometer is high by 9.8% I never pay any attention to the speedometer. That's probably because I ignore it on my Porsche where it's not visible between 60 and 160 because of the steering wheel spoke.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Well that kind of sucks about the odometer.... I'm going to check mine if we ever have any decent weather for more then one day at a time!!!!!!!!
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

My RH50 speedometer bugged me also. I found I could adjust it (by repositioning the needle, then it would be accurate at a speed I chose. But still inaccurate above and below that speed. There is a trick to doing what I did, and I am not sure tampering with it is strictly legal, so I would rather not explain how. And I would rather you don't try it unless you know what to do. But I'll give you my much better solution. :idea:

I had a Trail Tech digital speedometer on one of my old dirt bikes. These are very accurate ((within about 1% if you set them up correctly). I highly recommend this. Mine is an older model; the current equivalent is the Endurance II. By the way, mine is 13 years old now and still works perfecty.

See:
http://www.trailtech.net/enduranceIIkits-adventure.html

These are about $80, and will take some (not difficult) work to install. I can't say for sure which "kit" is the most appropriate. Perhaps the Ruckus one? Mine was for a Honda XR250 but was easy to adapt to the Roughhouse. I did have to make one bracket to fasten the magnet sensor to the right fork. And the magnet is epoxied to the wheel rim. Works great. :)

Now I have an accurate speedometer, plus a clock, average speed, highest speed, trip time, and etc. And this sits higher than the stock speedometer so I don't have to glance down so far to see my speed.

I installed the unit above the disk brake resevoir, fastening it's clamp on the top screw behind my throttle assembly housing. The wire runs into the top plastic speedometer/handlebar housing, behind the front panel (behind the RH50 headlight) and down to the right front with the existing speedometer cable.

My magnet sensor is installed on a bracket I fab'd which attaches where the speedometer cable guide loop screws into the fork. I positioned the sensor near the wheel rim to sense the magnet.

The speedometer unit itself is easy to remove, like a bicycle speedo, and I store it in my pet carrier when parked.

A simple bicycle "computer" would do the same thing. Check your bike shop for choices and colors! I hope this helps someone!
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
weirdsong1

Post by weirdsong1 »

The odometer is definitely optimistic. My ride to work is 7.3 miles on the buddy, and 6.4 in the car. GPS testing confirmed the mileage from the car. Oh well. I'm most bummed by the lesser gas mileage. My indicated 85 mpgs is more like 76 mpg.
"You can arrest me, but you'll never defeat the Cobras. Nothing can defeat a motorcycle gang!"
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

speedometer accuracy :rofl:
Riding is riding