seat latch

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dcedce

seat latch

Post by dcedce »

There was a post about this earlier, but I wanted to bring the issue up again. The seat latch on my otherwise nearly perfect Buddy started to fail very early on and has now stopped working completely. I have to turn the key with one hand and pop the seat open with the other hand. I admit that it's only a minor annoyance, but it is an annoyance.

Are other folks having the same problem? Are other folks NOT having the same problem? Could this be a defect that would be covered under the warranty?
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

I just posted a comment about this on another topic page. I took the Buddy into the shop last week for the 500 mile Warranty work and mentioned it to the mechanic. Squirted some WD40 in there and it opened every time. It's been about 4 days and still pretty good. So I may have to give 'er a shot once a week for awhile but that's a pretty cheap, easy fix.
OkieBuddy

Spray lubricant

Post by OkieBuddy »

My wife's and my Buddies started having the same problem with the seat latch not popping up every time we unlocked it, but a shot of spray lubricant did the trick! I used Royal Purple synthetic lubricant spray.
Jim
dcedce

Post by dcedce »

Of course! I'll give some WD40 a try. Thanks!
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

Lube didn't work here.
I have to think the cables stretch and perhaps there is an adjustment somewhere.
DUTCH

Post by DUTCH »

BY THE WAY.... THERE IS AN ADJUSTER IN THE CABLE!!! TAKE THE FRONT COVER OFF VIA THE MAIN SCREW ON THE FACE COWLING AND THE TWO SMALLER ONES YOU CAN SEE FROM THE SEAT AT THE TOP OF THE INSIDE COWLING. THIS ALLOWS YOU TO REMOVE THE FRONT COVER. YOU WILL SEE A CABLE COMING OUT FROM THE BACK SIDE OF THE IGNITION SWITCH. FOLLOW THIS A FEW INCHES AND IT WILL RUN INSIDE OF A THREADED COUPLING. THIS IS THE ADJUSTER. THREAD AWAY UNTILL IT WORKS PROPERLY.
WHILE YOU HAVE THIS COVER OFF YOU CAN SWITCH OUT THE DOT TURN SIGNALS TO THE FACTORY ORIGINALS IF YOU WISH. UNPLUG THE CONNECTORS COMING DOWN FROM THE TOP AND PLUG IN THE OTHER SET THAT ARE TAPED ON THE INSIDE OF THE FAIRING. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE I FOUND IS THAT THE ORIGINAL SET ONCE ACTIVATED BLINK WAY FASTER THAN THE DOT SET. NOT SURE JUST WHY BUT IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME. I FIGURE IT'S EVEN MORE NOTICABLE!!!!!
JUST SOME GOOD CHEAP FUN!!!
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Instead of WD40 I'd recommend bicycle chain lube if you ride a bike. It's a dry lube. WD40 attracts dirt like flys to.... and you'll just have an even dirtier mechanism quite quickly.
White Lightning is the brand I use available in any bicycle shop.
sotied

Post by sotied »

MrNatural wrote:Instead of WD40 I'd recommend bicycle chain lube if you ride a bike. It's a dry lube. WD40 attracts dirt like flys to.... and you'll just have an even dirtier mechanism quite quickly.
White Lightning is the brand I use available in any bicycle shop.
Where do you spray? Right into the latch or down the cable?

And White Lightning is good, but don't use too much because it turns into a wax when it dries.

Have ridden and raced mountain bikes for years - and was actually sponsored by White Lightning when they first came to market. And dry is best for enclosed and dry applications.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

This might help, from the Tech Library:

topic1814.html
Xena

Post by Xena »

Adjuster cable for the seat? I will have to look at that...

I have always had a tough time closing the seat or rather snapping it into the locking position and just figured it was a quirk but never thought of lube or adjusting...
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

My seat has never popped up. I guess I'll have to try this. What a treat!

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com