Two Blackjack questions from new Buddy owner:

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Radio King

Two Blackjack questions from new Buddy owner:

Post by Radio King »

1) How difficult, and what technique would you folks recommend, for removing the "Black Jack" stickers from my new Buddy? Since the bike has had them on for appx. 1-1/2 yrs, do you think there would be any discoloration underneath if they were removed?

2) Is it true that the "parking lights" (the ones on the front panel down by the front tire) are strictly for cosmetics? That's what my salesman said when I inquired about their function.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

All the decals are rather easy to remove- if they don't come right off, a little bit of heat from a hair dryer should help. I don't think there will be any discoloration.

The "dead lights" as they are commonly called are the original turn signals, but DOT regulations require the turn signals to be higher and farther apart so Genuine has the ones under the handlebars installed. You can leave the front ones dark (as they are now) or hook them up in tandem with the other signals, or wire them as running lights. There's some info in the Technical Library and more if you search "dead lights"
Radio King

Post by Radio King »

Ahh - perfect answer! Much obliged, jmazza.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

No problem! Welcome to Modern Buddy and congrats on that great Blackjack!!
Radio King

Post by Radio King »

Cheers!
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

I removed all of my BJack stickers and logo's. The silver "Buddy" logo's are easy to remove, just peel slowly. The actual BlackJack logos and the sticker on the headset are more difficult and will require some sort of adhesive remover to get the residue off. I used a bug, tar, and adhesive remover made by 3M.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Lil Buddy wrote:I removed all of my BJack stickers and logo's. The silver "Buddy" logo's are easy to remove, just peel slowly. The actual BlackJack logos and the sticker on the headset are more difficult and will require some sort of adhesive remover to get the residue off. I used a bug, tar, and adhesive remover made by 3M.
Oooh I didn't realize that about the Blackjack stickers.

And, Radio King, check Lil Buddy's signature for some cool products to make your deadlights operational. :wink:
Radio King

Post by Radio King »

Thanks, Lil Buddy, for the tips. Oddly, I don't mind the Buddy logo, but the blackjack stickers remind me so much of the kinda gunky junk little kids put all over their belongings. It really cheapens the aesthetics of the bike, in my eyes. But damn, sounds like it adheres pretty well; I can live with them, I guess. Don't want to risk trashing the paint.

jmazza, I've been looking into the deadlight issue... I shall absolutely check Lil Buddy's signature for suggestions.. Thanks to both of you!
Radio King

Post by Radio King »

Ha! Just realized that Lil Buddy IS VoodooScooterParts.com. This is where I've been for the past 1/2 hour! :D
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Radio King wrote:Don't want to risk trashing the paint.
You won't trash anything except maybe your finger nails. Just take your time. Spray on some adhesive remover, let it sit for 5 minutes, scrape with your nails or rub with your finger to remove the gunk. Then repeat, and repeat, and repeat....

I think this is the stuff I used:
http://www.autogeek.net/tree-sap-remover.html
Just double check to make sure whatever you use is safe for plastics.

If you decide to purchase a deadlight adapter, PM me through this site to receive your Modern Buddy discount :wink:
Radio King

Post by Radio King »

Sweet! Thanks again, Lil Buddy!
MGM

Post by MGM »

I just removed badges from a "new" Black Jack that was over a year old. Indeed there is a SLIGHT discoloration. It's more of a different sheen to the paint under the badges. I definitely did not see the same thing on my red 50 when I debadged it. The black appears slightly more "flat" where the badges were. It's not obvious, but it's there
Radio King

Post by Radio King »

That's what I suspected, MGM. Any regrets? Or was it worth it?
(I find it curious that in the sales brochure photos, the Blackjack is unadorned, other than the "Buddy" logo.)
buddhascoota

Post by buddhascoota »

I just picked up a Black Jack as my first scoot. I removed the front Buddy and Black Jack logos and am not happy about the discoloration. I am going to try the 3M Adhesive and Wax Remover. Has anyone else gone ahead and done this? I do not want to work on the side decals before I know this will work (took a LOT of time to remove the intensely sticky Black Jack decal!

Oh, here is my response from Dean at Genuine:

"Like any matte finish paint, ant time you scuff it use the wrong type of towel you have the possibility of changing the original finish. You didn’t remove the matte finish the sticker just made it shine a little. Tar or sap remover might make it shine more unless it is formulated for matte finish paints. It will say on the packaging. You can always check with your local Genuine Dealer on removal of fixing , or replacing panels. New panels come with no stickers. Check with your local Automotive paint shop and see if they have any ideas on how to fix the shine."

Kris
Jaylinb

Destickered

Post by Jaylinb »

You can see from my avatar I removed my Blackjack stickers. I used Goo Gone and very carefully peeled them with my fingernails. Gotta be careful not to scratch the paint... Each side took me about 10 minutes.
Mine is two years old (three if you count the time it was sitting in the factory before I ordered it) and I didn't see any discoloration or flatness under the stickers. Of course, Maverick has also been garaged its whole life too.
Lots of adhesive remover and patience will get them off for you. Don't rush it!

And as for the side turn signals- the wires are there, just hook them into your upper signal lights in tandem and should work. I think you can order a wire kit from overseas, they allow them to function over there.
- If we never do what we've never done, we'll never have what we never did. Do something new!
Jaylinb

Destickered

Post by Jaylinb »

You can see from my avatar I removed my Blackjack stickers. I used Goo Gone and very carefully peeled them with my fingernails. Gotta be careful not to scratch the paint... Each side took me about 10 minutes.
Mine is two years old (three if you count the time it was sitting in the factory before I ordered it) and I didn't see any discoloration or flatness under the stickers. Of course, Maverick has also been garaged its whole life too.
Lots of adhesive remover and patience will get them off for you. Don't rush it!

And as for the side turn signals- the wires are there, just hook them into your upper signal lights in tandem and should work. I think you can order a wire kit from overseas, they allow them to function over there.
- If we never do what we've never done, we'll never have what we never did. Do something new!
GOwithIT

Naptha

Post by GOwithIT »

One of the best things to remove stickers without damaging the finish is Naptha, or Lighter fluid that contains Naptha. I use this to remove sticker goo from guitars. Wont damage the finish.