Project: BIG BAD VOODOO BUDDY

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Kaos

Post by Kaos »

gearhead wrote:yesss! now get it running!
Should be soon. I haven't gotten my spark plug wire and boot yet, thats the only thing I need to start it. I'll have to get the radiator, variator weights, and a belt installed before I can RIDE it, but I can at least start it :)

Luckily all that should be delivered tomorrow or the next day.

Then we can see if I got all the wiring right :P
Mr Miller

Post by Mr Miller »

Eeee! So exciting, I bet you can't wait to get that puppy fired up. And the big ride is this weekend;)
• 171.3cc NCY Big Bore kit
& bunch of other stuff...

http://www.facebook.com/inerseshen for graphic design, advertising, signs, decals...
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Mr Miller wrote:Eeee! So exciting, I bet you can't wait to get that puppy fired up. And the big ride is this weekend;)
That would be a fantastic first ride for it too. Well see if I get it together by then :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Ok, got my coolant reservoir, radiator hoses, and coil wire today. Just gotta run down to Vespa PDX for some rollers and pickup a few bolts and I've got everything I need to finish this baby :D
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

whoooooo! video update! yeah!
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Man Kaos, you put this machine together quick! Bravo to you sir!
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
SuiSkoot

Post by SuiSkoot »

this thread deserves all caps FIRST OFF ..LOVE IT SO AWESOM MAN I RECENTLY STUFFED AS BIG OF A TIRE I COULD SQUEEZE WITHOUT CUTTING THE CASE ...DID HAVE TO LIFT THE SUSPENSION LOL

...JUST WONDERING WHERE ARE YOU GONNA MOUNT TH WHEELIE BAR?
Did you know
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

SuiSkoot wrote:this thread deserves all caps FIRST OFF ..LOVE IT SO AWESOM MAN I RECENTLY STUFFED AS BIG OF A TIRE I COULD SQUEEZE WITHOUT CUTTING THE CASE ...DID HAVE TO LIFT THE SUSPENSION LOL

...JUST WONDERING WHERE ARE YOU GONNA MOUNT TH WHEELIE BAR?
Heh, still working that one out ;) The rear tire is about 2 inches farther back and 2 inches BIGGER than the stock one, so it'll add a little bit of anti-wheelie help right there. I'm hoping just a good lean forward can keep it down, but we'll see :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Ok, question guys. The gts engine is ground to case right?
because wired that way the starter runs backwards.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

isnt that how most scooter starters are ground?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

gearhead wrote:isnt that how most scooter starters are ground?
That's what I. thought, but this one wants to run backwards when I do that. Doesn't make any sense.
OopsClunkThud

Post by OopsClunkThud »

you sure it's backwards? should be turning clockwise, turning the idler gear CCW and the crank CW (from the flywheel side).
Patrick Owens
www.OopsClunkThud.com
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

OopsClunkThud wrote:you sure it's backwards? should be turning clockwise, turning the idler gear CCW and the crank CW (from the flywheel side).
Yep. Its turning the crank ring gear CCW, which just results in it spinning and not actually turning the crank.

Its the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. I touched the starter wire strait to the battery and had the same results.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I may have missed it in the thread somewhere but what did you end up using for a fuel pump?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Dave wrote:I may have missed it in the thread somewhere but what did you end up using for a fuel pump?
I've got a small generic electric pump. I don't yet know if it'll work, as I'm working on the reason that the starter is spinning backwards right now.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Kaos wrote:
That's what I. thought, but this one wants to run backwards when I do that. Doesn't make any sense.
too bad there is no kick start :?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

gearhead wrote:
Kaos wrote:
too bad there is no kick start :?
Yeah thats a little frustrateing, I wanted to start it today.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

attach an impact to the variator to manually start it
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

gearhead wrote:attach an impact to the variator to manually start it
Ohh never thought of that. I like the way you think :)
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

yessir! 2 minds are better than one
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Kaos wrote:
Ohh never thought of that. I like the way you think :)
just dont sheer off the crank :shock:
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Jinx :D
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
OopsClunkThud

Post by OopsClunkThud »

without a belt this would be ok, but otherwise don't run it without the cover on. the clutch shaft is supported by the cover.
Patrick Owens
www.OopsClunkThud.com
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

OopsClunkThud wrote:
without a belt this would be ok, but otherwise don't run it without the cover on. the clutch shaft is supported by the cover.
Yeah, I was thinking of doing it just to start it, not ride it that way.

I also just got a message from the person I got the motor from, he apparently DOES have the master key for the engine, so I should be able to keep the injection after all!
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

did it start?!?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

gearhead wrote:did it start?!?
The starter issue turned out to be a wiring problem, the starter turns it over, but I'm not getting any spark yet.

Since I don't yet have the master key for the injected ECU, I'm trying to run it carbureted with the GY6 CDI. It doesn't currently seem to be working, so I'm in that hellish wiring issue stage. I did get everything else on the bike totally bolted down and done except the body panels though.... Maybe tomorrow.

EDIT: Ok, after looking through the wiring info at Totalruckus.com(Because the Buddy wiring diagrams are AWFUL) I think I know what I did wrong. We'll start this baby yet!!!!
OopsClunkThud

Post by OopsClunkThud »

The cdi on the gts is not a single pickup. there is a ring with 23 (i think) teeth on it with one open space. this allows it to know crank position as well as TDC to fire the injector while the intake valve is open. When the bike first starts it sparks on every revolution while running through a dance with the injector and the lambda sensor to figure out what cycle it's on (scavenging vs compression/power). Then it switches to firing only on the compression/power revolution.

So to switch it to another CDI you would need to add a more conventional pickup as well.
Patrick Owens
www.OopsClunkThud.com
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

OopsClunkThud wrote:The cdi on the gts is not a single pickup. there is a ring with 23 (i think) teeth on it with one open space. this allows it to know crank position as well as TDC to fire the injector while the intake valve is open. When the bike first starts it sparks on every revolution while running through a dance with the injector and the lambda sensor to figure out what cycle it's on (scavenging vs compression/power). Then it switches to firing only on the compression/power revolution.

So to switch it to another CDI you would need to add a more conventional pickup as well.
You're just a wealth of information OopsClunkThud, thanks :)
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Wiring is a pita

remember, the video camera. lol
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

gearhead wrote:Wiring is a pita

remember, the video camera. lol
At least the gy6 is simple. Injection isn't.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Did you have to make your own harness?!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

gearhead wrote:Did you have to make your own harness?!
No, I've got the GTS harness, its just figuring out what goes where when a lot of the connectors appear interchangeable :)

That and figuring out which parts of the Buddy harness I'm going to keep and which parts I'm going to replace.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Well, after playing with the stator all afternoon, I just can't seem to get the stator to output any sort of sane voltages.

It seems to output about 5VAC on all three pins while cranking. This isn't enough to power up the Buddy CDI and fire the plug.

Looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet and replace the GTS ECU with one that I can get keys for :/
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Edit with post below
Last edited by gearhead on Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

U were trying the run the gts with the buddy cdi?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

gearhead wrote:U were trying the run the gts with the buddy cdi?
Yeah, since the GTS ECU is missing the master key, I was going for plan B.

Unfortunately thats not working, I'm just going to have to buckle down and buy another GTS ECU.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

ouch.. must be $$$$

hope everything works out
Dave

Post by Dave »

Kaos wrote:

Unfortunately thats not working, I'm just going to have to buckle down and buy another GTS ECU.
You could try using a 12v dc CDI. I believe the Honda Helix uses one. But they're expensive. You can also get a cheap chinese one as well. Then you'll only need to use the vespa stator's pulse generator, no need for an exciter coil.

Try CF Moto...
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Dave wrote:
Kaos wrote:

You could try using a 12v dc CDI. I believe the Honda Helix uses one. But they're expensive. You can also get a cheap chinese one as well. Then you'll only need to use the vespa stator's pulse generator, no need for an exciter coil.

Try CF Moto...
Ohh, there's an interesting thought. I'd never considered going with a DC CDI. That'd be a cheap enough solution it might be worth trying before I deal with the cost of a GTS ECU.

I was talking to the owner of a key shop that USED to be able to reprogram GTS ECUs and he suggested that the latest Piaggio Fly 150's CDI might be a drop in replacement for the GTS one. I've been doing some research on that as well.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

how much is a brand new gts ecu? might as well just fork over the money for it and not spend anymore than you have to.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

gearhead wrote:how much is a brand new gts ecu? might as well just fork over the money for it and not spend anymore than you have to.
Its $550. That's why im looking for an alternative cdi.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

yikes.... might have my blur motor in my ruckus before you get yours running :twisted:
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

buggypartsnw sells both ac and dc cdi's. not sure if they have what you need but it's another possibility.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Tocsik wrote:buggypartsnw sells both ac and dc cdi's. not sure if they have what you need but it's another possibility.
I found a dc cdi I think should work. Hopefully :/
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

gearhead wrote:yikes.... might have my blur motor in my ruckus before you get yours running :twisted:
Kaos, the totalfuckas (just a joke, I wouldn't mind a ruckus), crowd is jack'n Genuine motors to keep up. You are throwing in a motor that is unheard of in the buddy world. Just want to give you much respect. I obviously am not as skilled as you, gearhead, and many others I could name that know way more than me.

Truth is I enjoy this thread and your progress. What I think is super cool is how everybody supports your task, that's props to everybody, with the parts donated and advise galore. Just do us all a favor & whoop any body any time once you get that voodoo to the next level.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

dawg onit wrote:
gearhead wrote:yikes.... might have my blur motor in my ruckus before you get yours running :twisted:
Kaos, the totalfuckas (just a joke, I wouldn't mind a ruckus), crowd is jack'n Genuine motors to keep up. You are throwing in a motor that is unheard of in the buddy world. Just want to give you much respect. I obviously am not as skilled as you, gearhead, and many others I could name that know way more than me.

Truth is I enjoy this thread and your progress. What I think is super cool is how everybody supports your task, that's props to everybody, with the parts donated and advise galore. Just do us all a favor & whoop any body any time once you get that voodoo to the next level.
Heh, as far as I can tell nobody has swapped a GTS motor into ANYTHING :) Which is both cool in that I'm the first, and frustrating because I'm having to find all the kinks myself :P

We'll get it on the road though. Its nearly there...
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Too late kaos, I swapped a gts motor into a dumpster once
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ScooterTrash wrote:Too late kaos, I swapped a gts motor into a dumpster once
Aww, man and here I thought I was being original. I'll bet that dumpster was really hard to balance on only 2 wheels though....
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Kaos wrote:
ScooterTrash wrote:Too late kaos, I swapped a gts motor into a dumpster once
Aww, man and here I thought I was being original. I'll bet that dumpster was really hard to balance on only 2 wheels though....
Yeah, didn't work out too well
OopsClunkThud

Post by OopsClunkThud »

Kaos wrote:Heh, as far as I can tell nobody has swapped a GTS motor into ANYTHING :) Which is both cool in that I'm the first, and frustrating because I'm having to find all the kinks myself :P

We'll get it on the road though. Its nearly there...
Friend of mine swapped a GTS engine into a Skipper
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewto ... per#982988
Patrick Owens
www.OopsClunkThud.com