Lost Battery Terminal Nut :(

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Qualish

Lost Battery Terminal Nut :(

Post by Qualish »

I was rushing out of the house this morning with my scooter's battery in hand (freshly tendered overnight) and one of those battery terminal nuts must have bounced out along the way. I have a picture attached to help illustrate where that nut came from in case my terminology is off. The nut is inside that terminal. The battery lead's bolt threads onto that to hold the lead in place.

Does anyone know where I can find an replacement nut? I'd rather not replace the whole battery because of my bonehead mistake. :oops: If I went to Home Depot and bought a square nut that fits the bolt's threads would that likely cause explosions, fire, death and mayhem? Mixing metals / conductivity and such? Thanks!

My specific battery is KYMCO brand. But I assume those parts are pretty universal if they specify they'll fit a Buddy 125.
synaps3

Post by synaps3 »

It would most certainly cause doom :lol:

You should be fine with a same-thread nut from Home Depot. I don't see any issue with that.
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

The Home Depot trick will work assuming thay they have the right size. I haven't had much luck with HD lately.

You could also go to the scooter / motorcycle shop and ask if you could have the nut off of one of the old batteries they probabaly have in the back.
synaps3

Post by synaps3 »

Ace Hardware is usually better for specialty bolts if you cant find it at Home Depot. They're a bit more costly though.
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

I could mail you one if you want to wait the week it will take to get out to you. I have some in the garage.

Your local scoot shop should have tons.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I had the same problem. Neither HD nor Ace Hardware had one that would fit. The nut is rectangular and the square ones with the same thread wouldn't fit in the terminal "cube/cage" thing.

However, my scooter shop was glad to just give me one.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Qualish

Post by Qualish »

Thanks everyone! Sounds like my local scooter shop is my best bet. That thought never crossed my mind so I'm certainly glad I checked with you all. Thank you!!
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

synaps3 wrote:Ace Hardware is usually better for specialty bolts if you cant find it at Home Depot. They're a bit more costly though.
Absolutely! Fasteners work themselves loose on bikes all the time. Whenever this happens to me, I find a matching fastener (like the nut from the other terminal) and take it to Ace, where they match it for me.

I'd probably waste an hour looking in HD and then be forced to buy a package of 20.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

aren't they just standard 10mm nuts?
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
ilektron

Re: Lost Battery Terminal Nut :(

Post by ilektron »

Qualish wrote: If I went to Home Depot and bought a square nut that fits the bolt's threads would that likely cause explosions, fire, death and mayhem? Mixing metals / conductivity and such?
Kaboom!
Dad, I know everything.
- 3y/o Son