Tail Clean-Up

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

threar

Tail Clean-Up

Post by threar »

In order to stop hijacking another useful thread, I thought I'd move the conversation over here. The impetus of this is moving to the Uni Filter, which allows for a complete airbox delete. ScooterTrash was nice enough to show off the cleanup:

This got me thinking about how much more we can clean-up the tail section. The first goal is to get rid of that rear fender (along with where to put the license plate). I see on my bike (which still has the airbox) that there is a rear mounting bracket (just to the left of the rear shock) that perhaps could be used to mount something like this:

Anyone else actually do any fender-eliminations on their buddys?
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

I'm a fan of de-junking scooters. Some brands get a little busy. I know most of the parts are there to keep the motor clean or deflect air and road debris. Looking forward to the progress.

Looked over my own post and it looks condescending, but its not.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Yep. If you cut it just below or above (or in line with the bottom of) the license plate, you can keep the original plate bracket. Someone else has removed those side reflectors and replaced them with LED lights, too. Looked cool but too much work for me.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
soundofsingles

Post by soundofsingles »

I trimmed down the rear fender on my Buddy with a dremel tool. I kept enough plastic for the side reflectors and the license plate holder.
Attachments
rear fender.jpg
rear fender.jpg (104.25 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Here's a coupla pics of mine. Sorry, cell phone pics and she's plenty dirty right now!

Word of caution: Your back will not stay clean if you do this unless you further mod by adding some other type of mud flap/deflector!

Threar: your scoot is sooooo clean! both in "lack of dirt/grease" and just how clean it looks between the shock and the gear box with the air box gone! Bellissimo! Multi Bellissimo!
Attachments
scooterback1.jpeg
scooterback1.jpeg (23.5 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
scooterback4.jpeg
scooterback4.jpeg (22.76 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
scooterback3.jpeg
scooterback3.jpeg (20.44 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
scooterback2.jpeg
scooterback2.jpeg (13.41 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I thought that was a pic of scootertrash's scooter.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
rajron

Post by rajron »

It was within the first couple of months of ownership of my Buddy I chopped off that mud guard – then I faced the consequences of my actions the first time I rode in a rain/water puddle. Got the streak right up and down my back, so I added a clear plastic tab to my licenses plate and took care of that, but, now the clear tab is getting a little ratty.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Tocsik wrote:Word of caution: Your back will not stay clean if you do this unless you further mod by adding some other type of mud flap/deflector!
Yeah, I already get enough crap sprayed on my back on my (fenderless) bicycle when there's been rain. I think I'll leave my scooter's intact.

(Especially with tomorrow's forecast...)
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

TVB wrote:
Tocsik wrote:Word of caution: Your back will not stay clean if you do this unless you further mod by adding some other type of mud flap/deflector!
Yeah, I already get enough crap sprayed on my back on my (fenderless) bicycle when there's been rain. I think I'll leave my scooter's intact.

you need some fenders for your bike. All my bicycles that I take out in the rain have the fenders from planet bike. They're awesome.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
brape

Post by brape »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
TVB wrote:

you need some fenders for your bike. All my bicycles that I take out in the rain have the fenders from planet bike. They're awesome.
The back rack I have on one of my bikes does an OK job of fender stand in.
threar

Post by threar »

Just wanted to mention that that is totally ScooterTrash's ride and not mine (I only wish mine looked as clean and cool).

The pics on this page are looking good. While I seek out a good way to remount the license plate, I may have to go ahead and start cutting down the tail section.

As for the mud splatter/road spray, I wonder if there's a way to modify the rear hugger to help with this. For the most part I don't mind the spray (especially if I'm riding 2-up, I seem to get away clean), but it might be nice to find something. Perhaps clean everything up and put a nice decorative mud flap on the back:

Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

I trimmed mine but left the reflector. (I like reflectors. you can see 6 just in this pic :) ) I imagine that gives me a little more protection from road spray but I have noticed I get wetter than before I trimmed it.

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Here's something to think about: make a detachable fender extension for use in the rain, or just outright extend the fender on the wheel to keep rain off then cut down the secondary fender which would then serve no purpose.

I like the look of Lagerhead's racer, but that's nothing new (me liking it, that is) and not entirely dependent on his solution (although that does add to it's appeal).
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
threar

Post by threar »

That's an interesting idea. I have one of these on my motorcycle:

http://www.fendaextenda.com/

I've generally only seen them on the front fender, but it might be interesting to see if there's a way to do the same for the rear fender.
synaps3

Post by synaps3 »

You could add a topcase too, if you don't mind how big they are. The topcase would work pretty well to block a lot of the muck.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

this is "toycoma98" scooter. He did a real sweet job of cleaning it up and lowering the body. Maybe if he sees this he can show us where he got the liscense plate holder from :?:
Attachments
toycoma98.jpg
toycoma98.jpg (58.31 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
threar

Post by threar »

Nice, I was looking at my bike last night and trying to figure out just how high the fender goes, good to actually see what that looks like. It does look like a little bit of body work might be needed since that tail goes so high up over the frame, perhaps some creative cutting on the stock fender and some relief cutouts for that license plate holder.
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:this is "toycoma98" scooter. He did a real sweet job of cleaning it up and lowering the body. Maybe if he sees this he can show us where he got the liscense plate holder from :?:
Oh...hi guys.

I used to put the plate right under the tail but since i dont have the fender, water would shoot back up on my back. I put it this way so the plate helps stop the water ;p

I got the bracket at the local PGO dealer. Sorry i dont know anywhere else to get them.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

*derail thread*
That animated gif in your sig is CONSTANTLY messing with me! FYI. :evil: :wink:

Back to your regularly scheduled program....
synaps3

Post by synaps3 »

Cheshire - Me too. I swatted my screen.