No Stella, bought Pamplona

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tee Jay

Post by Tee Jay »

I waited and waited for the infamous 4T Stella but could do no more. I just bought a 2009 Pamplona with 51 total miles, 2 weeks ago. Paid $1400.00 (felt a little bad cause the lady I bought it from just paid it off for $2400 and $200 in service)I hurried to put enough miles on it to be considered (broken in). So with 165 miles I left Tijuana MX @ 5:45am on Sunday 7-18-10. I am now sitting in Gold Beach Oregon. What a trip. 1150 miles a sore back and memories that I could only wish you could experience.The California coast and southern Oregon are sights that all you should see. There is a bald eagle sqwalking outside and a river with salmon about 100yds away.

There is a Garth Brooks song abou,t some of things you wished for at the time. But where you are now is a far better place than you ever imagined.

I took alot of your advise to quit bitching about no "Stella"
It's a good place Now!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Man, I'm jealous of that trip and the price you paid for your Pamplona!

That's actually a pretty impressive pace you set to go that distance in 4 days.

How often did you do a fluid change (on the scooter, not yourself).
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
jijifer

Re: No Stella, bought Pamplona

Post by jijifer »

Tee Jay wrote:I waited and waited for the infamous 4T Stella but could do no more. I just bought a 2009 Pamplona with 51 total miles, 2 weeks ago. Paid $1400.00 (felt a little bad cause the lady I bought it from just paid it off for $2400 and $200 in service)I hurried to put enough miles on it to be considered (broken in). So with 165 miles I left Tijuana MX @ 5:45am on Sunday 7-18-10. I am now sitting in Gold Beach Oregon. What a trip. 1150 miles a sore back and memories that I could only wish you could experience.The California coast and southern Oregon are sights that all you should see. There is a bald eagle sqwalking outside and a river with salmon about 100yds away.

There is a Garth Brooks song abou,t some of things you wished for at the time. But where you are now is a far better place than you ever imagined.

I took alot of your advise to quit bitching about no "Stella"
It's a good place Now!

man! you did a trip many other San Diego scooterist have dreamed of and all on a brand new scoot! There was a time when riding from my home in Carlsbad to Motorsports and back would exhaust me. Now I think I've got about 8hrs (including stops) in a day where I can scoot. Congrats! what fun!
Tee Jay

Post by Tee Jay »

The Buddy was serviced just before i bought it. Before I left I talked to Motorsports about wanting to use synthetic oil.They suggestted to check the oil often. When I got to Lompoc CA it was fine. When I got to Fort Bragg it was low, I topped off the oil w/Royal Purple and put in some gear oil. I don't know if I overfilled the oil or not. But about 100 miles later I started losing power on the top end. Where I could normally do 55mph it went down to 35mph. I pulled over and checked the oil and it was high. So I pulled the dipstick and ran the motor to remove some oil (with rag covering it). I think I removed crankcase pressure. Started it up and ran fine. About 10 miles from the Oregon border it started to lose power again. The Oregon Border was my quest. So I was not going to stop after 4 days. I don't know exactly whats up but will check when I get back to San Diego.

It's not about the destination.
It's about the ride.

BTW my inspiration Dumb and Dumber and Wild Hogs
and a some "The Little Train that could"
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Tee Jay wrote:It's not about the destination.
It's about the ride.
I like that line. Unfortunately the East Coast doesn't have anything remotely that beautiful of a ride. I hope to put something together to ride across to the Eastern Shore of MD, down the VA coastline, across the Chesapeake, all across the NC-12 Outer Banks, then head inland and go up the Blue Ridge pkwy/skyline drive. That'll be quite a ride in itself.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Tee Jay wrote:It's not about the destination.
It's about the ride.
I like that line. Unfortunately the East Coast doesn't have anything remotely that beautiful of a ride. I hope to put something together to ride across to the Eastern Shore of MD, down the VA coastline, across the Chesapeake, all across the NC-12 Outer Banks, then head inland and go up the Blue Ridge pkwy/skyline drive. That'll be quite a ride in itself.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Tee Jay wrote:The Buddy was serviced just before i bought it. Before I left I talked to Motorsports about wanting to use synthetic oil.They suggestted to check the oil often. When I got to Lompoc CA it was fine. When I got to Fort Bragg it was low, I topped off the oil w/Royal Purple and put in some gear oil. I don't know if I overfilled the oil or not. But about 100 miles later I started losing power on the top end. Where I could normally do 55mph it went down to 35mph. I pulled over and checked the oil and it was high. So I pulled the dipstick and ran the motor to remove some oil (with rag covering it). I think I removed crankcase pressure. Started it up and ran fine. About 10 miles from the Oregon border it started to lose power again. The Oregon Border was my quest. So I was not going to stop after 4 days. I don't know exactly whats up but will check when I get back to San Diego.

It's not about the destination.
It's about the ride.

BTW my inspiration Dumb and Dumber and Wild Hogs
and a some "The Little Train that could"
Well, can you get it looked at where you are? The gear oil is VERY specific and needs so very little. They put it in with a syringe with a hose thingy attached. It's a big syringe.

Did MS put in Synthetic and you add more or you added synthetic to your dino oil that was in there?

They didn't give me synthetic until I put the big bore kit (and only after I had over 2k miles on the kit) Did you put on 1950miles before leaving?

Running slow can be lots of things and most are things you don't want to push your engine too hard on. You probably gained altitude and that'll slow you down. I loose about 10mph over 4k feet and about 25mph over 7k feet. It was dismal and quiet at over 8k where I could only climb at about 25mph

mixing oil types (dino/synth) is a no-no from what I've been told. I'm not sure what gums up jets but maybe that's happened?
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

Pamplonas unite!
Attachments
Disclaimer: it is now painted black. But its still a Pamplona at heart.
Disclaimer: it is now painted black. But its still a Pamplona at heart.
1_428_162.jpg (195.82 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
"Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. "

Douglas Adams
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

You almost surely overfilled the gearcase if you just "dumped in some gear oil". These small motors are known for blowing a seal on the gearcase if they are run with the gear oil level substantially too high. I'm not understanding overfilling the engine crankcase however. Didn't you check it with the dipstick after you added oil?

I used to live in Gold Beach so I am with you about the beauty of the southern Oregon Coast. You may have a little trouble finding a Buddy dealer in that neck of the woods, however. As I recall, Honda and Yamaha are about as far as it goes.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wow, that's an amazing deal on this scoot. Congrats!

If you overfill with engine oil, you can back it up into the air filter, which will cause this kind of loss of power. You may just need to clean that out.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tee Jay

Post by Tee Jay »

Good call Eric
When I checked the oil in Fort Bragg (day 3) it was a little low, after sitting over night. Just showing a quarter inch on the dip stick. So I put in about an 1/8 of a quart of Royal Purple. While there, I checked the rear end gear oil I went to Auto Zone and bought some 85w-140w and put in about 2 tablespoons. Took off, About 2 hours later it lost some power, after WOT for a while. It was weird, it was if it either engine cooled (after 5 min) or the crankcase pressure was removed. Don't know. I fired it up. got straight to 62mph on the hwy 101. Ran good all day. Same thing next day same result. Got to Oregon border and put it on truck as planned.
I checked it once we got back in San Diego, fired it up and ran around the block seems OK. gonna cahnge oil and clean air filter after we get back from Del Mar horse races.
I'm thinking dirty air filter.

What a ride!
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

TeeJay. I meant to ask how you got around Pendleton. It's been much debate and the only way I'd take my buddy on the 5 for that stretch is if I was in a pack making the profile of the group bigger. I don't like the grooves in the pavement on the 5.

If you got through the base, many of us would like to know how.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I really really hope you will post some pics. What was our route?
also want to know how did you get around camp pendleton?

have a safe trip back, and yes that is a crazy good deal you got on that scooter.
Tee Jay

Post by Tee Jay »

Getting onto Camp Pendelton was not that tough. At the gate I showed my M-1 License, my MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) card, my registration, my proof of insurance and was wearing high visibility vest. Also I was wearing long pants, boots (over the ankle) and a jacket (they said hoody was ok but wore work jacket). Beware It's like 25 miles around the base and I've been told they strictly enforce speed limits. I rode from Tijuana and did not re-fuel. about 15 miles on the back side of Camp Pendelton my gas guage was empty. The military guys were really nice, but DAMN their estimates of distance are bad. one guy said "oh just turn left about 1 or 2 miles up the road and you'll see the road" It was 8 miles. I asked if they had a gas station they said "it was 2 miles up". It was like 6 miles. No signs no directions. I tried to save gas so I went along at about 20mph. Then I saw a gas station and a guy filling up. I asked are civilians allowed to get gas? He said "sure you have a card don't you" I said I have an ATM he said "no that wont work" So I gave him 3 bucks and he put his card in and I left the base about 200yds later
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I think the closest-to-truth word on Camp Pendleton's policy I've heard so far is that it depends on who you get at which gate. Their official policy still says you need a base pass!

I may just start that direction some weekend and see what happens. When's Motorsports' birthday party? :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tee Jay

Post by Tee Jay »

I beg to disagree. I drove my car to the gate on multiple occasions. I was given the phone number of their Sgt. I spoke to him (he referred me to Traffic) and then to the Traffic Dept on base. They said if you have any problems have them call "Traffic" I can provide phone number if you'de like.
There are no passes or badges

Not that bad, but call if you have questions
Btw they get pissed if you don't refer to them as "Staff Sgt ...."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Tee Jay wrote:I beg to disagree. I drove my car to the gate on multiple occasions. I was given the phone number of their Sgt. I spoke to him (he referred me to Traffic) and then to the Traffic Dept on base. They said if you have any problems have them call "Traffic" I can provide phone number if you'de like.

SWEET.

SD, here I come.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

I can see it now:

Eric rolls up to gate with his reason on why he needs to cross the base. The Sgt on duty asks him a few questions, and gives him some directions.
He says "yes sir"

The sgt says "WHUT?"
Eric says "I, mean, um, Sir yes Sir!"
"SIR YES SIR WHUT?"
Sir yes Sir sgt SIR!
"WHUT?"
"I, mean Sir yes. Sgt Sir, I mean Sir yes, Sir Sgt Staff Sir, I mean Sir yes...., never mind I'll go around."
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

ericalm wrote:
Tee Jay wrote:I beg to disagree. I drove my car to the gate on multiple occasions. I was given the phone number of their Sgt. I spoke to him (he referred me to Traffic) and then to the Traffic Dept on base. They said if you have any problems have them call "Traffic" I can provide phone number if you'de like.

SWEET.

SD, here I come.
We will welcome you with open arms!!