oh poop

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

angieyou3

oh poop

Post by angieyou3 »

hello all...my name is angie. I've been lurking on the board for a few weeks but decided to post tonight because i got my first scooter (buddy 125 -orange) tonight! its so exciting but i have an embarassing story to tell. Phil of Pride of Cleveland Scooters, who is amazing and so kind by the way, dropped off my scooter and began giving me lessons on how to ride (ive never ridden a scoot before). The lessons didn't last long when i went to do a u-turn and crashed into the curb. Buddy didn't take much of a hit ( a few small scrapes that can be rubbed out) but my pride and hand sure did. I hit the grass (thank god) pretty hard and heard something in my hand go "pop". I finished the lesson with Phil while attempting to ignore the pain. The lessons ended well, and phil left, but after he left i was TERRIFIED to touch the scooter again, so I put it in the garage and left it there for a bit. I got up the nerve to go out riding on my own, but not fast and i am definately scared to do tight turns now. ahhhh. how embarassing right? I hope i get over the fear soon so i can ride my buddy. If anyone is in the akron area, might you be willing to give me some additional lessons, or know of a cheap/free place to get lessons?
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

God love ya girl! I did pretty much the same thing when I was learning too :oops: I was practicing figure 8's in the back yard,going too slow and lost my balance. I did a belly flop,but had me and my new "toy" up off the ground before my neighbors were able to see me. I too hurt my pride. Rode her up to the porch,sat for a few minutes until DH came home and told him what had happened. We both had a good laugh,checked out the bike(bent back mirror) and I was back on her again.
You can't be afraid to get back on it again....or you never will. I promise it'll get easier with each little trip. I strongly suggest the MSF Course if you can scrape up the funds.

Welcome to "The Family" by the way :D
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

well it is good to know that i am not the only one! thanks for the reassurance and to my new "family". i think my roomies will be joining the family soon....they are super jealous of the buddy!!! :P
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

dahuffy wrote: I strongly suggest the MSF Course if you can scrape up the funds.
(if you don't already know this...)

Check out --> http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/brc.htm

It a basic rider course similar to the MSF (if it's not the same thing) that the state of Ohio offers for free if you are 17 or 18 years old. If you are over 18 it's only $25.00. I haven't taken it yet but I'll be in the next available one in my area. Everyone I've talked to that has taken this course has had nothing but great things to say.
And if you complete the course they waive your skills test. :D
germ

crashing

Post by germ »

Be careful with your hands. I was going very slow pulling into my driveway when the tires skid on some pebbles near the curb and we went down. I landed on my right hand at the pinky knuckle and caught my girlfriend with the other hand. Both our weights were on that one knuckle. It hurt like hell and was ok for a period, but know it is screwed forever. It is fine most of the time but anything that puts pressure on it, such as the occasional moron who thinks that a man is defined by how hard he crushes your hand when he shakes it, hurts like hell. I don't think I can do anything about it at this point. So be very careful, when you come to a stop. Give yourself plenty of time to slow down. Gravel can make you skid easily.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Welcome to Modern Buddy! It sounds like both you and your Buddy have been properly christened already. :wink: I hope your hand is okay and that the pop was just a joint popping like when somebody cracks their knuckles. As for getting back on the Buddy. Yep, gotta do it girl, but here's a plan. Is there a big parking lot somewhere near you? What's best is one of these big office parks, because those places are always deserted on Sundays. You just need to do a whole lot of riding around until you get a feeling for balancing the Buddy and a big empty parking lot is a good place to do it so there's no curbs or cars or anything to run into.

And don't fret over the tight turn thing. So what if you can't do a tight turn? Guess what? Nobody else can either! Motorbikes have to be moving to balance or they fall over. If you turn tightly enough, you can't go fast enough to balance. So forget about that and just learn to balance and lean in to turns at speeds you'll actually be riding.

Also, if you happen to live near a bookstore (Barnes&Noble has this), go to the automotive section and find the book Proficient Motorcycling by David L Hough. Read pages 44 - 62 and you'll quickly get an idea of how it's supposed to be done. Don't worry about the number of pages, almost every page has a big diagram on it and 5 of the pages are entirely taken up by photographs or diagrams.

Good luck and please post back how you are doing.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Hey Angie,

Welcome to the forum and especially welcome to scootering. Don't panic... get back on, take your time and ride. You'll soon see how easy it is. I am new to scootering and also a proud owner of the orange Buddy 125.

My first experience was with scooters about 5 years a go. I'd never riden one. We rented them on a kayaking trip to the Gulf Islands (Canadian side of the San Juan Isles). The people I was with knew how to ride and I was struggling thru the tight turns and hills to keep up when I hit some gravel in a turn. I wiped out at about 15 mph. No gear on except an ill fitting 3/4 helmet. A lot of road rash, a few stiches in my knee and a broken pelvis. I couldn't weight bear on my right leg for 3 weeks. I still have bursitis in my right shoulder and can't sleep on my right side to this day.

I've always wanted a scooter for my own despite the accident. Since I've moved to a warm climit from Calgary, I've put my fears a side and bought my Buddy. I had my husband ride it 3 blocks home in heavy traffic because I was nervous, but now... I'm getting very comfortable scootering around town. I'm still nervous, but I think that keeps me alert. It's good not to be slack. Use it to keep you safe once you develop some basic riding skills. I plan on taking the MSF course once I learn my work schedule. Like John suggested, pick up 'Proficient Motorcycling'. I'm reading it now and it is a great resource.

Keep on scootering!
Laura
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

wow. it is so nice to know i am not the only one! I felt like (and still do a bit) like a fool, but the pain is easing. Thank you to everyone for the great suggestions. I checked out the motorcycle website and called for an MSF course but they were completely booked thru the season! Insane! I guess I will have to rely on practice and the suggested book (thanks!) There is a motorcycle shop that runs MSF courses every weekend, but they charge $300. I can't justify the price, but I may have to because they can guarantee me a spot, as opposed to the DMV. But for now, i will be scaring the nuns in their gigantic parking lot near my house. muahahaa.
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

If there are any scooter clubs in your area, you might try contacting them about finding a riding buddy who can help you learn. Most scooterists look for any excuse to ride, and if it's with someone else, that's even better.

Jody
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Great idea. A riding 'buddy' sounds super. Just remember not to pick up any of their 'habits'. Statistically, you're better off teaching yourself than having someone (not a porfessional of course) show you their bad habits. So to avoid accidents/injury... read the book first and work on htem whilst riding with a 'buddy' on your fab orange Buddy!
Laura
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

angieyou3 wrote:wow. it is so nice to know i am not the only one! I felt like (and still do a bit) like a fool, but the pain is easing. Thank you to everyone for the great suggestions. I checked out the motorcycle website and called for an MSF course but they were completely booked thru the season! Insane! I guess I will have to rely on practice and the suggested book (thanks!) There is a motorcycle shop that runs MSF courses every weekend, but they charge $300. I can't justify the price, but I may have to because they can guarantee me a spot, as opposed to the DMV. But for now, i will be scaring the nuns in their gigantic parking lot near my house. muahahaa.
:shock: The course is $150.00 down here in OKCity
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

apparently, the akron peeps think they are the shit... :evil:
smorris

Post by smorris »

Angie,

Did you check with the MSF basic rider course at Polaris Learning Center in Berea? They are always booked up all season long. Some people have waited a few years to get a slot. You can go and get on the standby list, though. If I remember, there is info on the site on what to do for standby status. Do it for a class that looks like it *might* have bad weather, and there are sometimes no-shows. Then they start down the standby list. I took the ERC last month, and out of 12 (max) registered there were two no-shows, and two people waiting.

Note that for the basics course, they teach you on their 250cc motorcycles. But they assume you are a beginner, and teach you everything.

Congrats on your new Buddy! Phil is a great guy, and always willing to help.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage

2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ____ 2006 Vespa LX150 ____ 1965 Vespa 180 SS
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon ____ 1958 MGA Roadster
sparty

Post by sparty »

I agree that the MSF course is a good thing. In my class, we all rode a Suzuki 250cc bike. I didn't have too much of a trouble in the course. Had a hard time learning how to use clutch and shifting gears (never rode manual before), but at the end I got the hang of the bike. Afterward, it was weird riding the scooter again. I don't know if the scooter can do some of the bike stuff.. I have yet try to do the swerving exercise on my scotter. I also had no problem doing figure eight with a bike, but had to put my foot down with my scooter. I keep thinking that the floorboard is going to touch the ground.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

We were allowed to use our scooters for the class down here.
sparty

Post by sparty »

We had to ride the store-owned bikes in my MSF class, which were rather beat up.. some had exposed battery compartments and some had duct tapes all over it. And I paid close to $300 for the class too....
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

That's so sad. I noticed that the bikes used in our area looked pratically brand new . I wanna say they were little Kawasaki 250 "somethings".
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

Lagerhead wrote: It a basic rider course similar to the MSF (if it's not the same thing) that the state of Ohio offers for free if you are 17 or 18 years old. If you are over 18 it's only $25.00. I haven't taken it yet but I'll be in the next available one in my area. Everyone I've talked to that has taken this course has had nothing but great things to say.
And if you complete the course they waive your skills test. :D
$25!! Its $250 for the BRC here in south Florida and $125 for a scooter course they offer which doesnt waive the road test. I took the scooter course for the practice but couldnt bring myself to spend the extra $125 for a road test.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

I wonder why it's so many different prices for the same darn course :roll:
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

smorris,
I checked the MSF course in hudson, ohio. They only charge $25 (which is way better than $300), but they are booked. The lady on the phone suggested coming and waiting to see if someone "no showed" so I may be a pest and do that. Sadly, there is no scooter course to be found. Phil should develop one! :D
dsleedesign

Post by dsleedesign »

I also rec'd the MSF course.... but if you can afford it. What I would do is drive really slow! Seriiously.

Hopefully you have a nearby school or business park near you and you can go practice in there parking lot (on sunday or at nite) (really slow at first - then build up your confidence and speed!

good luck.
smorris

Post by smorris »

A tip on the low speed maneuvering as compared to on a motorcycle. Some of the problem with the scoot, is that when you blip the throttle a little, nothing happens, because the centrifugal clutch has released. So you give it more throttle, and then it is too much.

Instead, keep the RPMs up by giving it a bit of throttle, but control your speed by applying the brake at the same time. This brake+throttle procedure worked wonders for the ERC class I took on the scooter. Made the offset slalom and figure-8 in the box a piece of cake. Also, remember too swivel your head and look where you are going.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage

2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ____ 2006 Vespa LX150 ____ 1965 Vespa 180 SS
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon ____ 1958 MGA Roadster
Sue

Post by Sue »

i crashed my orange scooter too! i was on my way to take the license exam and stopped at my moms for a bottle of water.
i pulled in her drive way and there was a bump in the driveway where a tree root was breaking the cement and i chose to turn the throttle to excel out and it was like a rocket ship once the back wheel caught
i had a skinned knee :oops:
I am now taking the Ohio Motorcycle class but love scootering
sue
tOOt tOOt!
sparty

Post by sparty »

Sue, I hope your scooter didn't get damaged. With the increasing number of crashes.. I hope genuine is making spare parts availalbe. I would be really disappointed to have to drive around town in a scratched up Buddy for the next month and a half :cry:
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

so much for being (too) afraid to ride my buddy. He's got 97 miles on him now! :P Thanks for everyones support! :D
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

You GO Girl!!!

I sneaking up on 900.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Good job Angie. Keep goin'. Stay within your limits and under control and your confidence will keep building as mine is. I'm over 200 miles now. Yeah! I'm having soooo much fun. :clown:
Laura
sparty

Post by sparty »

I only have about 60 miles. Not having license makes it rather hard to accumlate miles :evil: I want to break in the scooter so bad... but driving around in cycle can only be so much fun, even on a Buddy.
lotte

Post by lotte »

Yipes, how are your hands now?

And don't feel embarassed... I've fallen off my buddy pulling a u-turn during a lesson with Phil as well!! :mrgreen:
ellen

Post by ellen »

The MSF class is your best bet. But you might want to check this book out. You can pick up a lot of tips just by reading it.

Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

I hope that in addition to a helmet of some sort you've also got some nice gloves... hands can be very hard to fix! A good riding jacket won't hurt anything either!
cmiles3

MSF course prices

Post by cmiles3 »

Some states subsidize the BRC course, and it's free or low cost. Other states don't, so the students pay the full cost of the course. Classroom, supplies, bikes (usually donated by dealers), gas, MSF fees, and don't forget to tip your instructor- he probably pockets less that 25% of the fee.
ebcspace

easy rider

Post by ebcspace »

making a tight turn is definitely more advanced and not as easy as it seems it would be... you're not alone ! I think even the most experienced riders slow and steady to pull it off !

my wife was headed for the same "curb in a turn" stumble, yet I was riding with her, also with my hands on the bars, and I intervened. she's still very much a newbie at this point.
riding lesson was taking place within the confines of our condo community. the plan is to get out to a nice vast, smooth parking lot to practice more.

I know it's much more difficult to ride with a passenger, but my paternal instinct put me on the passenger seat until she really gets used to the controls and feel of the bike.

take your time, get the feel of your buddy, and it should become an extension of yourself, and your instinct will kick in and guide you. don't forget to breathe!

I've got a vacation video of an elephant at the San Diego Wild Animal Park of an elephant named Carol, stepping up onto a stump, slowly working to a careful two-foot balance manuever, as the trainer offers an analysis of her method... "focused, and relaxed."

good luck, and be safe !
scoot on!