Genuine Buddy 50cc upgrade to 70cc help.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JRSTANGE

Genuine Buddy 50cc upgrade to 70cc help.

Post by JRSTANGE »

First thanks for any help you can provide.

I'm currently working on my Dads new scooter. Which happens to be a Genuine Buddy 50cc.

The issue here is he wanted to upgrade it to 70cc. The kit was purchased from Scooterdynasty. With in the kit it looked pretty complete. However when going to change out the fuel jets. What they sent me does not fit.

The stock jets are a 75 and 40. They sent me a 45 and a 46 but as noted they cant be used as they dont fit. I've contacted scooterdynasty and am waiting for a reply before i get this scooter back together.

This is the kit purchased:

http://www.scooterdynasty.com/cylinderk ... 0cc2t.aspx

But, I want to confirm if there is anything to worry about with the jets if I were to put it back together with the stock jets with the cc upgrade. Looks to be a idle or set screw on the carb but, I also want to make sure. This of course then can be used to help but, over all is it enough.

The bike other than the 70cc upgrade is stock and will remain stock. I know my Dad doesnt feel the need to keep tuning the scooter with things such as intake and exhaust etc...

Thanks any help is appreciated!
Scootinbow

Post by Scootinbow »

When i did my upgrade the shop left the stock jets in it and it was ok. It wasn't until i went with the prima exhaust that i had to upjet and go to a free flow air filter.
JRSTANGE

Post by JRSTANGE »

Scootinbow wrote:When i did my upgrade the shop left the stock jets in it and it was ok. It wasn't until i went with the prima exhaust that i had to upjet and go to a free flow air filter.
Really? I emailed dynasty to confirm. If this true I'll get it back together by this weekend for him to pick up.

So to say it again no need for jet upgrades unless I do the exhaust and intake?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i don't know crap about any of this, but knowing something about scooterdynasty i believe if something needs to be changed or you need some satisfaction somehow, they will do all they can to make things right, and give you solid advice. they sell chinese scoots but are 100% legit, and their mechanic / tech really knows his stuff. if i were buying chinese they are one of only 2 places i have come across i would buy from within a 20 mile radius. they're not just a drop ship warehouse, but a real scooter shop

i'm sure you'll be able to take the advice from here and consider it with the advice from there and be all fixed up, soon enough. kind of early here in L.A, though. so you might have to be a little patient

/yawn
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

That kit is not specifically made for the buddy/PGO, and I am betting the problem is that they are using different carbs than what the buddy gets.

Note that the PGO model on the list is not Bubu, which is the awesome name the Buddy gets overseas.

So for one, have you verified that the rest of the kit fits (wrist pin size)?

If the only incompatible piece is the jets, I would install it, see what the plug looks like in terms of tune, and order up some jets for the correct carb.

SOMETIMES you do not need to rejet going from a 50 to a 70, because the larger displacement draws more vacuum through the carb, and thus pulls more fuel out of the same size jet. But, this is a crapshoot, you cannot count on it, and if you screw it up it WILL seize.
Valves are for wussies.
JRSTANGE

Post by JRSTANGE »

Everything else fit perfect. Just not the jets. Everything else is done. Hopefully ill hear back from dynasty today.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

JRSTANGE wrote:Everything else fit perfect. Just not the jets. Everything else is done. Hopefully ill hear back from dynasty today.
Cool. If everything else fits, jets are the easy part. I would fire it up and do some quick plug chops to see where you are at with the stock jetting- at the very least, it will give you an idea of the range of jets to ask for, and there is a possibility that the jetting will be ok.

For reference, when I did a Prima 70cc kit on my Buddy, I did not need to upjet. However, this was on a bike run at 6500 feet elevation, which means the stock jetting was on the rich side due to altitude.

Just make sure that the plug looks good, and if you have any doubts, try it with a fatter jet to see if it looks better.
Valves are for wussies.
JRSTANGE

Post by JRSTANGE »

That's what I'm going to have to do. I haven't heard back from dynasty yet. In the mean time were is the best place to pick up jets?
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

I kitted out my Buddy 50 with the Prima 70cc kit that is available from Scooterworks. I decided that I would take the conservative approach to performance so the only thing I added, besides the 70 kit, were plastic reeds, a 1000 contrast spring, and 6 gram Dr. Pulley slider weights.
Now my little 'Fiddy' has great excelleration, reasonably good mid-range performance, and tops out at 50mph indicated.
The good part about this set-up is not only good performance, but reliability and longevity. It's smooth, quiet, and pulls hills really good.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

on the zumas even with just a kit there is a need to raise the needle and upjet at least 2 points even with stock pipe

why is that you need the extra fuel to help cool and you are flowing more air just look at the diffrence in the exhasut ports

some people can get away with it but to me it just isnt worth the chance of blowing up the engine i just put in

the only way to tell is to do proper pulg chops to ensure you have the proper a/f ratio unless you have a egt to tune with or a dyno to tune on
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
JRSTANGE

Post by JRSTANGE »

According to dynasty there is no need to up the jet. just adjust the idle.

Otherwise I got it back together and running. It took a bit to get the idle right and maybe a bit more tomorrow night to fine tune it if it needs it as it seems and sounds really good.

Did the coast and kill thing to check the plug and it looks good. Not lean from what i can tell. Could have taken pics to post but, oh well. It was dark anyway.

But, my Dad being the primary rider at 150lbs he could never get it above 40mph before. Well, with me driving it in a flat strech being 230lbs I got it up to 46mph and letting off as I didnt feel comfortable.

But, a bit of driving I gave it another go on the flat road and reached 50mph. Down hill on a slight decline it reached 60mph easily before letting off. So I guess it could have gone more.

So given this with my Dad being the primary and really only driver he shouldnt have problems reaching probably 55mph on a flat road.

All seems to be good thanks everyone for helping finishing the scooter.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

well did you use a fresh plug and read the smoke ring or did you reuse the old plug and just look at it

to give you an idea there is a place out there that tells that to all teh guys buying zuma parts and withen a month or 2 they have blown up there scoots

also you shouldnt be using the stock plug either if the bbk is worth a darn you have increased your compression and should be running premuim and a plug that is one number higher then stock 2 numbers if the kit is al

if you dont you may end up blowing a hole in the top of the piston when it detonates

and fyi i run a private tuning shop and i have yet to do a bbk that didnt need an up jet
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
JRSTANGE

Post by JRSTANGE »

All done. Dynasty is now wanting to confirm what carb it has. I'm going to pick up a colder plug as well while I'm out. I figure I'll set the carb a bit rich and drive it to the scooter shop in town and see what they say and pick up the jets from them if needed. I'll report back this evening after work.
JRSTANGE

Post by JRSTANGE »

Stopped my local scooter store and with out a doubt he said it needs the 85 jet. So I picked one up and got it in and running. All is well. Thanks everyone.