Locking up to a pole

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

huskerchic

Locking up to a pole

Post by huskerchic »

I'm not sure this is the "best" way to do it, but after watching the video with those jerks who were able to get the Buddy out of the lock, this is what we came up with. We've wrapped the excess of the lock around the pole so the would be thieves wouldn't be able to tip it over and wiggle it loose.
Attachments
Blackjack.jpg
Blackjack.jpg (60.43 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
IMG_2019.JPG
IMG_2019.JPG (173.01 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
ilektron

Post by ilektron »

Just make sure the pole can't be lifted up. :shock:
Dad, I know everything.
- 3y/o Son
ilektron

Post by ilektron »

Or your scooter lifted off the top of the pole...
Dad, I know everything.
- 3y/o Son
VoodooKitty

Post by VoodooKitty »

do you have a Xena? If so I would suggest wrapping it through the Xena free adaptor thing and then wrap it around the footboard and around the poll. That's been my strategy anyway :)
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

When using a big lock like this (as opposed to my disc lock) I always run the lock through the frame and, if possible, the rear tire as well as over the floorboard. This way they really have to work to steel the scooter. Also, if they do manage to steel the scooter it will be totaled and there will be no quibbles with the insurance comapny about fixing the scooter. :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
TVB

Post by TVB »

Just running the cable through one of the wheels won't stop a determined thief who has tools and time, but it's pretty effective at discouraging thieves like those in the video who need only a minute to slip the scoot through the cable. If you combine the two methods, you're probably in better shape than trying to take up the slack in the cable. There's also the U-shaped pipe on the underside just forward of the center stand that – as far as I can tell – would require some serious hardware and determination to remove.
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

That is true, all we are trying to prevent the theft. But if someone is really determined to steal a scoot and has the tool and the time then nothing will stop them. But as already said, if it is too much effort the professionals won't mess with it and the casual thief will not mess with the scoot either if it can be easily removed as we have seen in the video before.
I put the xena with the additional cable in the hope that the alarm will chase them away.
I have seen vidoes on you-tube where people actually show how easily these locks can be picked. I was surprised. I haven't seen a lock pick video for the Xena disc lock but for others.
Bottom line is, use your common sense and always remember to lock up your bike and don't do it because you got home late and are tired. The extra 2 minutes spend at the night when you are tired will pay off when your scooter is still there in the morning.
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

Oh, I also wanted to mention if you live in a high risk theft area then cover your scooter at night, preferably with a cover alarm as well. Because what you cannot see easily will usually not be stolen or not tempting for anyone to steal it.
Yes cover can be cut, etc. etc. but it is again an additional effort and someone has to lift the cover to see what kind of bike is underneath.

I am lucky and I really don't have to worry when I am at home, and I can only imagine how hard it is for people who are not that lucky and have to deal with these scum bags even when it is in front of their own house.

Which reminds me, found his brandnew Dodge Ram in front of his own house on bricks with all four rims gone. Unbelievable.

My two cents.
sotied

Post by sotied »

I was thinking in the shower about the next models of Buddy. Wouldn't it be cool if the frames came with a locking ring or something that's part of the frame that you could run a lock to or through?

I think Vespas have this, but don't know of any other models.

I've locked to the center stand in the past (but WAY too hot and burning trying to thread cable through there after a long ride).

I also can't lock through the wheels because the 125 wheels I have have tiny holes, not like the open rims on the 50.

I usually run the cable around and through a fixed object, then through my back rack and then through the space between the rear shock and the frame.

In really dicey areas I lock it that way and also put the Xena on the front disc.

I always lock the front wheel angled.

And in nicer areas I just use the Xena.

Boston now has scooter meters ($.25 for an hour and 12-hour limit). But the first batch of these meters doesn't have any lock rings or similar device. We've been assured that the next install of these will offer something solid and fixed to lock to.

**Hey, is there a scavenger hunt for this week? I had Scootle in the shop and hadn't ridden her in a month. In the last few days (aside from the hurricane) I put almost 200 miles on her and I'm itching to take photos and get points.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

sotied wrote: **Hey, is there a scavenger hunt for this week? I had Scootle in the shop and hadn't ridden her in a month. In the last few days (aside from the hurricane) I put almost 200 miles on her and I'm itching to take photos and get points.

Thanks,

Jeff
Does not look like it
Start one up!
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ScootLemont wrote:
sotied wrote: **Hey, is there a scavenger hunt for this week? I had Scootle in the shop and hadn't ridden her in a month. In the last few days (aside from the hurricane) I put almost 200 miles on her and I'm itching to take photos and get points.

Thanks,

Jeff
Does not look like it
Start one up!
Tony hasn't posted much lately, maybe he's on vacation
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Consider also using a xena disc lock and a scooter cover. Attach the cover to the Xena cable. That way as soon as anyone touches the cover the alarm goes off and the thieves go bye-bye before they even know what is under the cover to steal.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Never mind the Pole; they're too easy-going. Lock it to a Serb. You don't want to mess with those guys!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I'm a Serb, yep. we're bastards.

Remember that the pole can be cut too. a utility pole or lamppost is generally safe, but i've seen scooters locked to wooden picket fences or handrails or chain-link-fences that could be cut in a few seconds with a Sawzall.

And make sure the pole is tall enough to not lift the chain over (Parking meters)

And nothing trumps good insurance.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
huskerchic

Post by huskerchic »

Let's lock it to my guard dog!
Attachments
giant_mastiff1279306865.jpg
giant_mastiff1279306865.jpg (112.06 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
TVB

Post by TVB »

Too much risk of the dog seeing a cat or a squirrel and running off, dragging the scooter behind him.
ilektron

Post by ilektron »

huskerchic wrote:Let's lock it to my guard dog!
If I had that dog, I wouldn't drive a scooter. Yee-haw!
Dad, I know everything.
- 3y/o Son
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

There is a good discussion about securely locking a scooter HERE
rv-rick

Post by rv-rick »

sotied wrote:I was thinking in the shower about the next models of Buddy. Wouldn't it be cool if the frames came with a locking ring or something that's part of the frame that you could run a lock to or through?

I think Vespas have this, but don't know of any other models.

I've locked to the center stand in the past (but WAY too hot and burning trying to thread cable through there after a long ride).
A good welder should be able to weld a piece of 1/4" plate steel to the frame with a hole large enough for your chain or U-lock to fit. Not something the average thief would tackle.
Also less likely to get burned that way.
TVB

Post by TVB »

rv-rick wrote:A good welder should be able to weld a piece of 1/4" plate steel to the frame with a hole large enough for your chain or U-lock to fit. Not something the average thief would tackle.
Also less likely to get burned that way.
I'm a bit baffled that PGO doesn't do this.