chicago motor oil

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

david12df

chicago motor oil

Post by david12df »

where do you buy your oil from ,what kind do you get
gear and motor oil

buddy 150
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

People will argue about this for months.

There are infinite brands of oil, with pricing all over the place, and they all have their fans, but any average oil is gonna be more than enough to keep your scooter happy for years. Following the maintenance schedule is WAY more important than what kind of oil you use.

This thread is a Motorcycle Product News story sort of confusingly mixed with POCphils experience as a scooter shop owner, but I think it's the best-researched assessment i've seen.

topic1375.html#16184

Note they suggest waiting until the engine's broken in to run synthetic. Amd most people agree you should stick with synthetic or dino so they don't mix, but even that is debatable (there are even mixed oils available).

Phil also suggests using 5w-40 instead of the PGO spec 15w-40 in cooler parts of the country (CHICAGO!). It's the same (40-weight) once the engine heats up, but the lower cold rating is better for colder weather.

I just buy it at any auto parts store (napa, pep boys, o'reilly's, autozone, etc) or Target or Sears. You don't need special scooter oil. It's nice to support your local shop, but I don't live near Scooterworks or Ace or Motoworks, so save cash on oil and save up for something nice.

Gear oil, again, just buy a decent brand. Sometimes our weight is hard to find at auto parts stores, but I bought a bottle at Walmart for $15 that will last me the rest of my life at 90cc once or twice a year.

Assuming you're talking 4-stroke here, 2-stroke oil has even more fanatics, but again, as long as you use a decent brand you'll be fine, avoid the weedeater stuff, but don't spend half a paycheck on the strawberry-scented imported "made just for scooters" stuff.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

I get a 5 Qt. (or is it Liter) jug from wal-mart of Mobil-1 Full Synthetic "High Mileage" 10W-40. (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mot ... 0W-40.aspx)
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I just posted the same question in July. See this for responses:
viewtopic.php?t=16081&highlight=oil
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

more importantly than oil... do you use regular or premium gas?
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

We go to Advanced Auto and buy motorcycle oil for about $5 a quart. My wife's Cheetak uses a 5-50wt oil, I use a 10-30wt.

We both use regular gas, without any issues on either of our three scoots.
Buddy 125, Bajaj Cheetak & SYM HD200.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

ScootLemont wrote:more importantly than oil... do you use regular or premium gas?
Oh God, please don't.

Not again.

Next, it'll be "ATGATT or flip flops?"
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Isn't a 2 stroke better than a 4 stroke?

:wink:
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

Why did you spend all of that money/time upgrading your 50cc. You could have just gotten a 125 and...
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Use regular gas, not premium. "Premium" is a bad name for higher-octane gas, because it's not BETTER, it just has different properties that work better in some engines.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... egular-gas

Some people point to the specs in the manual, I can't remember what it says, but I think it specs something like 92 octane. But Taiwan uses RON octane ratings and the US uses AKI octane ratings

92, 95, and 98 RON are octanes sold in Taiwan

87, 89, and 91 AKI octane are sold here

RON Octane Rating x 0.95 = AKI Octane Rating,

So 92 x .95= you guessed it, 87!)

Anyone who tells you they're getting better mileage or higher top speed with high-octane gas is either lying, deluding themselves, or crediting one of the dozens of factors that influence mileage and top speed to their gas.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.