Added some LED's

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

glamourgirrrl

Added some LED's

Post by glamourgirrrl »

Bought a LED underbody kit for the Buddy.
Attachments
pictures 2010 440.jpg
pictures 2010 440.jpg (117.13 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
pictures 2010 439.jpg
pictures 2010 439.jpg (83.65 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

that looks really cool :)

what does it take to hook 'em up electrically and mount them? i would like some lights that run off batteries or a separate battery pack of some sort. seems like it would make things simpler
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

That is major cool!! :clap: Please tell "what, how and how much" :lol:
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

Wow, that superbright. Looks really cool. I installed some too but they are not as bright as yours.

Very cool.
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

This is mine. Like I said not as bright as yours.
Attachments
SDC12346-1.jpg
SDC12346-1.jpg (62.73 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
AtlBuddy

Post by AtlBuddy »

Looks great. Glad you got it all figured out.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

please tell where you bought and how you installed, I need red ones for my buddy
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

I bought the kit on ebay. It was $50. Super easy to install, everything just clicks together and then you mount to your battery. It has a remote control so you can turn it on when you want and it's not constantly running. The website for their store is ledglow.com. I bought the 6 strip set but I'm ordering additional strips so I can add some to the rear of the scooter.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Nice job!
JHScoot wrote:that looks really cool :)

what does it take to hook 'em up electrically and mount them? i would like some lights that run off batteries or a separate battery pack of some sort. seems like it would make things simpler
Totally illegal in CA. This would make you instant ticket-bait.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

I'm pretty sure in Texas it's illegal for cars to have underglow on while driving, but I always see motorcycles with lights on the engines
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

ericalm wrote:Nice job!

yup, same here in michigan although they may make exceptions for motorbikes cause I've seen quite a few with engine lights of various colors. Then again they may just be willing to risk the ticket.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Anyone knows why this is illegal? I have not checked about Maryland laws but those lights sure look pretty (not sure I have what it takes to hook them up either).
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Stormswift wrote:Anyone knows why this is illegal? I have not checked about Maryland laws but those lights sure look pretty (not sure I have what it takes to hook them up either).
CA has laws specifying what types of lights you can mount in what colors and where. The major reason (which doesn't apply so much to these) is that specific colors and placements are reserved for emergency vehicles. But I think they also found that with the ground effects type of lighting it's a distraction to drivers and makes it more difficult to notice other vehicles at night.

It's not actually a full ban in CA, but many of these types of lights violate the codes here. Here's the law:
Lighting Requirements

25400. (a) Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp or device on the exterior of the vehicle that emits a diffused nonglaring light of not more than 0.05 candela per square inch of area.

(b) Any diffused nonglaring light shall not display red to the front, but may display other colors. A diffused nonglaring light shall not resemble nor be installed within 12 inches or in such position as to interfere with the visibility or effectiveness of any required lamp, reflector, or other device upon the vehicle.

(c) A diffused nonglaring lamp or device, other than a display sign authorized by subdivision (d), shall be limited in size to an area of 720 square inches and where any lease, rental, or donation is involved the installation of the lamp or device shall be limited to those vehicles operated either primarily within business or residential districts or municipalities, or between business districts, residential districts, and municipalities in close proximity.

(d) An internally illuminated sign emitting not more than 0.25 candela per square inch and possessing copy which does not contain a white background may be displayed on each side, but not on the front or rear, of a trolley coach or of a bus being operated in urban or suburban service as described in Section 35107 of this code.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25400.htm
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

http://www.de-luxcycle.com/laws_on_lighting.htm

this has Texas' laws on lighting as well as general info for other states

basically it says no red lights directly in front of center vehicle, whatever that means, and no flashing red, white, or blue, and the lights cant shine on the ground over 75 feet away

I love red, so this sucks
wifiducky

Post by wifiducky »

slusher5 wrote:http://www.de-luxcycle.com/laws_on_lighting.htm

this has Texas' laws on lighting as well as general info for other states

basically it says no red lights directly in front of center vehicle, whatever that means, and no flashing red, white, or blue, and the lights cant shine on the ground over 75 feet away

I love red, so this sucks
thanks for saying that im thinking about getting green and to OP where did you get then can you give me a link please :) thanks
TVB

Post by TVB »

slusher5 wrote:basically it says no red lights directly in front of center vehicle, whatever that means,
I think that means that they don't want any red lights on the front half. Probably because "red lights = rear" and they're afraid that it would be confusing, such as someone thinking that you're moving away from them when you're moving toward them.
michelle_7728

Added some LEDs

Post by michelle_7728 »

glamourgirrrl:

Nice job!

If it's not a hassle, can you take some snapshots of the undercarriage so we can see how they are mounted? :)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

i watched a video from ledglow.com and all you do is tape them down with double sided tape that is already on to the led strip

it says something about securing them with wire or something, in the video it shows him taping the led strip to the inside of a panel and then securing it with wire to a pipe, how is that possible?
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

There is an ebay seller, joeflorida. Or something like that. You can pick the color and configuration. Like how big of set and single lights vs pods of multiple lights. His kits are secured with zip ties. I found them looking at motorcycle underglow kits.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

did you purchase the 6pc for $50? would you recommend getting an 8pc or 10 pc? I'd like some input before I drop 50 washingtons
AtlBuddy

Post by AtlBuddy »

I added LEDs to my scooter a few months ago and got some from Autozone that were cheaper then this plus they had the double sided tape allready installed. I got a set of 6 inch and a set of 12 inch and it was less than $40 dollars. The wired were long enough to run to the front of the bike as well.
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

I bought the 6pcs set. I'm buying a few more strips because I also want some strips under the rear fender. I would buy the 8 or 10 pcs if I had it to do over. All of the strips are pre wired with adhesive tape on them. The kit also included zip ties. Where I was able I zip tied the strips to a body panel or frame whatever. Otherwise the adhesive seems really sticky and should hold for awhile. I think for the price and ease of the set you just cant beat it.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ericalm wrote:Nice job!

i may have to take my chances. i mean, its just a little light under a little scooter :)

i know flashing lights are a no no. and also blue, as that is a cop color. i saw a motorcycle with a strip of blue, but it was on the side of the bike in full view. obviously placed to increase visibility

i saw a siren or two at the local auto parts. that would be cool 8)
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

lol, your just asking for trouble with a blue light and siren