I have 4500 miles on my Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dakotamouse

I have 4500 miles on my Buddy

Post by dakotamouse »

I've changed the back tire. Done all my oil changes. Sophia runs like a dream. But I wonder...........how will I know when I need news sliders and a belt? I want to have my scooter for a long time and keep her in fine shape. I saw Eric mention, in another post, that they usually last 4 to 6000 miles. What are the tell tale signs that its time for the change?
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

If it seems like its not reaching as high of a top speed as it used to, or it begins to 'shudder' or 'hiccup' at take off, you're there :)
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

I have over 7200 miles on the original belt and rollers. No problems.
Member 2715
Chrome Rear Rack
Genuine Top Case
Black Grips
Chrome Front Rack
Garmin GPS & Ram Mount
PIAA HS1
13g Dr. Pully Sliders
Everstart 9-BS AGM Battery
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Kaos wrote:If it seems like its not reaching as high of a top speed as it used to, or it begins to 'shudder' or 'hiccup' at take off, you're there :)
Is that for the weights, belt, or both?
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

I have 7600 miles on my Buddy, and I have yet to change the belt & rollers.

I recently installed a windshield and noticed a decrease in top-end speed. I figured it was just due to the windscreen, but maybe it's time for a new belt and sliders.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Cheshire wrote:
Kaos wrote:If it seems like its not reaching as high of a top speed as it used to, or it begins to 'shudder' or 'hiccup' at take off, you're there :)
Is that for the weights, belt, or both?
Its a bit of both, you'll start noticing a loss of speed as the rollers wear, with shuddering when they're really worn.

Hiccups and shuddering are also signs of belt wear, as is slipping.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

goldscott wrote:I have 7600 miles on my Buddy, and I have yet to change the belt & rollers.

I recently installed a windshield and noticed a decrease in top-end speed. I figured it was just due to the windscreen, but maybe it's time for a new belt and sliders.
You should actually see a slight INCREASE in top speed with a windshield.
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

Kaos wrote:
goldscott wrote:I have 7600 miles on my Buddy, and I have yet to change the belt & rollers.

You should actually see a slight INCREASE in top speed with a windshield.
That's what I thought as well, but I can feel that my scooter is pushing harder than it used to at high speeds, and I don't reach the speeds I used to before the windscreen...
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I started noticing a kink in deceleration on my Blur, felt like something was sticking and keeping me in high gear longer than it should, then it'd sort of 'pop' (gently) and start to decelerate quickly, instead of the even deceleration I was used to.

Found out (thanks to some good advice in the Blur section of MB!) my whole CVT was just coated with black dust from the belt, I took the clutch apart and cleaned it and greased the pivots and blew out all the dust from the compartment, and wiped everything down and it's like new. My belt didn't look badly worn at all, but your mileage is higher than mine. I didn't bother messing with the variator, other than hosing dust out of what I could get at.

If nothing else, I'd pull the CVT cover off, clean everything, and check the belt.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Have you had a second service done on the scoot yet? At around 4K or so the rollers and belt as well as the valves should at least be checked.

You will definitely notice or hear when the belt and rollers are really in need of repair. Just don't ignore the signs as many people do!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

ericalm wrote:Have you had a second service done on the scoot yet? At around 4K or so the rollers and belt as well as the valves should at least be checked.

You will definitely notice or hear when the belt and rollers are really in need of repair. Just don't ignore the signs as many people do!
I'm 700 miles from my dealer so I've been on my own for service work. Thankfully the husband is a dirtbiker who does his own service work and he has become my mechanic.

Thanks everyone for you advice. :)
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I am on originals at 9300 miles. I have noticed a but of decrease in top end so maybe it is time. I had them inspected at 7000. Other than that I have only gotten one set of tires and oil and air filter changes. I wonder if there is anything else big on the horizon?

as a side note this week I had the the mirror snap off from the console on a huge bump. It is attached to a windscreen so I did not lose the mirror. It did create a bizarre problem where it would bounce forward and hit the kill swich AND hold it down. Not a fun drive home. Has anyone had this mirror problem?

I purchased a metal apoxy (sp?) from home deport -the strongest they claimed to have-but it is not enough-t popped off again right out of the garage. Now it is duct taped but still jiggles which is very annoying. Any ideas?

I am taking the bike to California next month and if I have to take an on bike skills test to transfer my endorsment, will they even let me take it on a bike with mirror duct taped on?? :cry: