15,000+ miles in 85 days

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

trackpete

15,000+ miles in 85 days

Post by trackpete »

This morning I'll pass 15k miles on my Rattler (named Red), which I picked up with 0 miles on July 14 of this year. It's been an epic ride, but it's not over yet - I'm still nearly 2,000 miles from home and I haven't yet reached my goal of raising $5000 for charity.

Nonetheless, 15,000 miles is a pretty big milestone that I'm pretty stoked about, so I figured I'd share some of the coolest photos of Red from the trip so far.

You guys on the forum here have been awesome, but I hope you'll keep spreading the word for me and tell your friends about it - all we need is a few hundred people to donate $5 to the American Brain Tumor Association to reach my goal!

Attachments
Endless Utah roads.
Endless Utah roads.
64483_164328150250568_140137676002949_560038_5299276_n.jpg (56.85 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
After an engine rebuild in Seattle!
After an engine rebuild in Seattle!
60064_161830227167027_140137676002949_541288_6770741_n.jpg (118.93 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
Staring at a glacier in Alaska during a thunderstorm.
Staring at a glacier in Alaska during a thunderstorm.
46767_158047497545300_140137676002949_517693_7412691_n.jpg (45.92 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
Staring out at the endless Arctic Tundra.
Staring out at the endless Arctic Tundra.
45445_153066761376707_140137676002949_486702_8307690_n.jpg (48.14 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
Entering the Arctic Circle on the Dalton Highway in Alaska.
Entering the Arctic Circle on the Dalton Highway in Alaska.
40476_152344218115628_140137676002949_480177_2150111_n.jpg (89.63 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
Skipping rocks at a mountain lake on the Alaska Highway.
Skipping rocks at a mountain lake on the Alaska Highway.
40819_149528491730534_140137676002949_460990_895192_n.jpg (62.34 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
Last edited by trackpete on Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

This. Is. Awesome.

Can you post a link to the donation site for your ride?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

Epic journey! I want to go to Alaska so bad.

What happened with your engine in Seattle?
rajron

Post by rajron »

Wow – great location shots.
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

Lostmycage wrote:Can you post a link to the donation site for your ride?
All of the info can be found at http://scootforcharity.com but the direct link to the donation site is http://www.firstgiving.com/trackpete (if you're not familiar, First Giving is a great on-line fundraising site, very secure and well used).
goldscott wrote:What happened with your engine in Seattle?
My little two-stroke burned itself up at 10k miles, it simply wasn't intended for the type of abuse I'm putting it through (few decel cycles) - I was actually surprised it held up that long. I got stranded in the middle of the Yukon for 9 days waiting on parts, then had the top end rebuilt by a Honda dealer and rode it down to Seattle. In Seattle we found out that the crankshaft had been bent and the dealer up north didn't notice, so at 12k miles we had to do a full top and bottom end rebuild.

Genuine has been totally awesome and sent me all the parts with no charge even though I'm quite clearly outside the realm of their warranty - we're all pretty amazed with what I've put this thing through.

The suspension system on the Rattler is absolutely top notch, it's held up to some SERIOUS abuse and over 2k miles of off-tarmac roads. Amazing.

Now I've got to get back on the road, ugh!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Haha, whoops. I glaze over signatures so often I didn't notice that you had the link there.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Those action/jumping photos are the best! Epic journey for sure. I wish I had watched the updates more closely. You passed close enough to me I'd love to meet. Congratulations on closing on the home stretch.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Keys

Post by Keys »

I was wondering about rebuilds...mine fragged at 4000 miles and again at six. Detonation problems due to using too hot a plug...and it was the recommended one!!! Colder plug and I now have over 9000 miles with no more problems.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
TVB

Post by TVB »

I'm jealous of you for reaching the Arctic Circle. The closest I got was about 60 miles south of it. That was in Akureyri, on the north coast of Iceland. I took a bus there from Reykjavik, but I wasn't prepared to swim the rest of the way. :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This makes me weep with joy and envy. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
VoodooKitty

Post by VoodooKitty »

These pictures are fantastic!
rablack

Post by rablack »

Amazing. How did you carry enough fuel on those remote roads?
Scooterist, lawyer, double bassist www.traveler-music.com
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Absolutely phenomenal accomplishment. And for such a great cause. Definitely a story to tell for a lifetime. I think your scooter should be put in the Genuine museum right next to Bonegirl's 40,000 mile Buddy. Incredible.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

awesome!

you're like a scooter Ironman

i will make a small donation in your name. its all i can do, wish i could do more

i wonder why no really rich people haven't just given you $5000? heck, i would if i had the bucks. just for the effort and dedication

don't they always say "don't raise my taxes then i can't donate to charity"

well he is a chance, dopes!

where is bill gates and oprah? they have a buck or two or three :P
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Congrats Pete, been following the whole ride since you started and I can't believe you've done this all on Rattler, wait yes I can the Rat rocks!
So do you, keep up the ride!
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

this is so amazing. Its been great reading about your adventure, and I hope you reach your fund raising goal before you hit home :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ilektron

Post by ilektron »

Holy crap! Amazing trip!

This makes the Cannonball run look like a trip to the store for milk!

Canada and Alaska and bears aside, I can't even imagine doing that stretch through Nevada and Utah. And I also am interested, how much gas do you carry on you?
Dad, I know everything.
- 3y/o Son
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

ericalm wrote:This makes me weep with joy and envy. :)
Holy....well I....jeeze Louise...............I'm speechless..... What Eric said............yeah...that's it!
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Absolutely phenomenal. I am so jealous. The Iron Butt broke me of wanting to do timed distance rides, but I would really love to be able to do a long adventure like yours.

That ape' ride through India also looks like it was a blast.

You da man, Pete

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Pete has a facebook page, which has daily updates and a ton of pictures. It's a great part of my morning routine to read and see. Be safe out there Pete, and I look forward to meeting you when you return home!
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

Thanks everyone! Ironically, later in the day after posting this, at about 15,050 miles, my drive gears ate themselves in the middle of Nebraska. I think it's impressive that they lasted through the abuse I've put them through (this isn't 15k miles of putt-putting around a city every few days) so far! I ended up getting a U-Haul to carry Red back to Chicago so I can drop it off at Scooterworks for some MUCH needed TLC.

Don't be jealous! You too can make something like this happen (though a shorter time scale is probably more realistic) - just do what I did and start planning instead of just saying "someday..." Seriously!
rablack wrote:Amazing. How did you carry enough fuel on those remote roads?
Most of the time a 2.5 gallon spare can (also a great back rest) was all I needed. The Dalton Highway was bad enough that I carried the 2.5 gallon can and a 1 gallon secondary and both of those got used up! Technically I think that's the longest stretch of highway in the US without services (like 300 miles), so it was a close one.

A lot of motorcycle guys up in those areas just commonly run out of fuel on purpose and flag down one of the many local hunters with huge fuel tanks in their trucks and buy fuel off them. Kinda funny.
Howardr wrote:The Iron Butt broke me of wanting to do timed distance rides, but I would really love to be able to do a long adventure like yours.
The best thing is that I can pull over ANYWHERE I want to take pictures/etc. - it's not like a car where you're limited to pulloffs. Then I can do everything at my own pace, some days I only did a hundred miles just because there was so much to stop and look at.
ilektron wrote:Canada and Alaska and bears aside, I can't even imagine doing that stretch through Nevada and Utah.
Nevada was actually really amazing for me, I took 50 through most of it (including the "old highway"). Tons of mountains and back-country curves separated by short 20-30 mile valleys with beautiful scenery.

Utah was a bit rough for some of it, 50 was miserable. After SLC I got some good stuff though. Wyoming was by far the worst - I think there are maybe five turns in the entire state! Lots of cows to yell and wave at though. ;)

Check out my Facebook sets for more awesome photos!
Attachments
Fuel and gear load during the Dalton Highway run.
Fuel and gear load during the Dalton Highway run.
45404_152344238115626_140137676002949_480180_7118395_n.jpg (67.28 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Trackpete, you should write a book about this experience. I've been searching for a good book to read lately and this one would be most excellent! :D
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
TVB

Post by TVB »

Pardon me while I hop on the bandwagon and extemporize:
trackpete wrote:You too can make something like this happen (though a shorter time scale is probably more realistic) - just do what I did and start planning instead of just saying "someday..." Seriously!
Bingo. Not that my 1200-mile "MIway" jaunts are anywhere near the scale of this ride, but I still get reactions of disbelief when I tell people I rode li'l Flash up to Pictured Rocks and back. I'm not a confident, take-the-initiative person by nature, not by a longshot. (Heck, why do you think I'm still single after 12 years as a widow, and have a job I could've done 24 years ago?) But somehow I've managed to go lots of places and do things, by starting to play "what if" and just... following through! That approach took me on a 6-week bicycle/train ride through England, Wales, and Scotland years ago. It took me to almost every country between Iceland and East Germany (back when that was a nation). I spent a week and a half alone in the wilderness of Isle Royale. The last couple years it took me the entire length of the Lake Michigan/Michigan coastline on a scooter, and then from Mackinac to Lake Erie. All by just... doing it. I've been told that it's easier to do this kind of thing when you don't have a family, but I also don't have a family holding down the homestead for me while I'm gone, so I think that evens out a bit.
trackpete wrote:The best thing is that I can pull over ANYWHERE I want to take pictures/etc. - it's not like a car where you're limited to pulloffs. Then I can do everything at my own pace, some days I only did a hundred miles just because there was so much to stop and look at.
Bingo again. I've traveled on foot, bicycle, scooter, car, plane, and ship. They all have their advantages, but scooter travel wins in a lot of ways. In particular, I like scootering on a 50cc because not only can you pull over anywhere, you can do it without zipping past whatever you were pulling over to see (though scootering on a bigger bike will also work if you exercise restraint :) ). Unlike a car or plane, you're in the place you're traveling through. Unlike a bike or walking, you're not at the mercy of your physical stamina. It's the Goldilocks of transportation options. 100miles/day is my rule of thumb for planning a road trip. For me that's about 3 hours in the saddle, the rest looking around at (and between) the places I'm visiting.
Dr. Rock

Post by Dr. Rock »

THIS is the most awesome scooting thing I have ever seen! Time to get my donation shoes on. Come On Everyone!
Twitter: @Drjuggernaught
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

jasondavis48108 wrote:Trackpete, you should write a book about this experience. I've been searching for a good book to read lately and this one would be most excellent! :D

Have you read "The Longest Ride" by Emilio Scotto? If not, do so. Very good. Slightly longer ride than TrackPete.

-duo
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Fabulous! :mrgreen:
TVB

Post by TVB »

jasondavis48108 wrote:Trackpete, you should write a book about this experience. I've been searching for a good book to read lately and this one would be most excellent! :D
It's not particularly traveloguey, and really not that much about motorbikes either, but Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is book I've enjoyed quite a bit, about an academic's road trip with his son.

There's also The Motorcycle Diaries (I watched the movie, not the book), but I assume that's already required reading for anyone living in the People's Republic of Ann Arbor. ;)
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

Oh, BTW I made it home - the total mileage on the scooter was 16,291. It's sitting in the dining room of my condo, sadly alone.

I tried something really different on this trip in that I didn't really do any travelogue style stuff and looking back I'm a little disappointed, I should have written more often. Alas.

If you want an interesting travelogue to read, not much tops my mototaxi adventure in South America last year. Even though I had given notice before I went on it, I returned absolutely convinced that things like that were what I wanted to do more and surprised everyone at work by confirming I would quit. You can start here, right as the actual mototaxi stuff starts, just keep clicking Newer Post at the bottom until it's done (the formatting is a bit weird on some old posts because I changed around my blog since then).

Also if you want to try something crazy like this in a packaged, simple deal check out www.theadventurists.com - I really recommend them (they have worked out the paperwork kinks on the South America one since I did it).