boots

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rob_fuel

boots

Post by rob_fuel »

Whatcha got? My tall steel-toes are getting really toasty. I'd like to find something shorter that still covers the ankle but is more "scooter-appropriate" than the Joe Rocket stuff. Any suggestions?
ICEMAN

Post by ICEMAN »

I used to own a harley and a few other bikes, and the reason I bought boots back then was because of shifting, wearing regular shoes would end up wearing a hole in your shoe and making your foot sore..........no shifting on the buddy 125 so I wear whatever shoes are comfortable, if i get in an accident the least of my concerns will be the damage to my feet............
250koala

Post by 250koala »

I wear regular hiking boots on my scooter when I'm practicing. I also have a pair of Harley Davidson Wolverines that I bought in May when I had plannned to ride an IronButt ride with my other half on his motorcycle. We didn't go. I have worn them twice and they are pretty comfortable. Didn't notice them being too hot, but they feel heavy to me. ( I wear my Crocs everywhere.)
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

ICEMAN wrote:no shifting on the buddy 125 so I wear whatever shoes are comfortable, if i get in an accident the least of my concerns will be the damage to my feet............
My guess is you might feel differently if you found yourself skidding along the ground with the bike on top of your foot.

How you gear up is your personal choice of course.

I need better foot gear for the warmer months too. The boots I used all winter have Thinsulate and are just too much for summer riding.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
db

Post by db »

I usually just wear my sandles or crocs (if going to work)
potamus

Post by potamus »

I have a pair of Sidi boots that I picked up on clearance at www.newenough.com . They have been comfortable so far - have some panels that allow airflow. I was glad to have them when I dropped my motorcycle on my leg at my MSF course! I wouldn't ride without the ankle and foot protection they provide.
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

Recently had to buy steal toes for IKEA (The depart I work in they're mandatory.) I thought I saw at the Sketchers outlet where I went a pair of hiking type boots with steels. Might be too much for ya but just a thought.

You could go with cowboy boots or some other "boot" I don't think you're going to get away from the toasty/sweaty foot syndrome when talking about a shoe that covers/protects the ankle and possibly a bit of road burn incase of a spill.

My $0.02
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

I got a pair of these before I picked up my scoot:

Dr. Martens 0050[/img]
Attachments
Martens 0050.jpeg
Martens 0050.jpeg (36.63 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
xtravbx

Post by xtravbx »

Converse Chuck Taylors.

I should wear my Steel Toe Docs, but I dont. Tennis shoes seem to be ok. I've fallen hard on my FZR600R, and was ok.

I do know someone who lost some toes from a scooter accident, from the wrong foot gear.
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

And no offense but you wear chucks?!

I'd be afraid of loosing my digits man. Deal with the toasty/sweaty funky feet.

Dr Scholl's has quite a few products to help with that ;)
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

This is what I usually wear while riding...

AgentKestrel

Post by AgentKestrel »

I'm actually a huge fan of Tanker Boots. They protect your feet well, look good (IMHO), and arn't really that hot during the summer months.

8) 8) 8) 8)

But for work I usually wear these Nomads, they are a little more discreet for my work place.

brat

Post by brat »

there was a post that I think was from Phil and I can't find. It shows why you should where boots. And shows the damage that can happen if you don't wear proper gear. And trust me the pictures made me go buy boots. I like my ankles and having all my toes. I laid down the buddy once and my foot and ankle was pinned under the bike while it slide down the street.

If anyone remember this post and can find it please link it to this one.

Susan
paige

Post by paige »

http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w%5B0%5D=s ... lourID=312

I wear Fluevog boots, the cowboy and the Tate. The soles are really comfortable and grippy.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I was of the opinion too that the most important thing was my head...and it still is. But if you screw your foot up that affects your mobility, and this quality of life, big time. We all saw what happen to POC Renae...my spouse was wearing dress shoes and dropped his Buddy on his foot in a 5mph fall. He broke some small bones in his feet and was on crutches for a while. He could actually ride the Buddy before he could drive a car. So as you can imagine this was a pain in the arse. I bought him some Harley boots ( http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=324703 ) which he wears about half of the time...what can you do? I try my best to wear my boots, but sometimes wear tennis shoes if I am traveling very low speeds. still stupid I guess :oops:
Last edited by peabody99 on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

brat wrote:there was a post that I think was from Phil and I can't find. It shows why you should where boots. And shows the damage that can happen if you don't wear proper gear. And trust me the pictures made me go buy boots. I like my ankles and having all my toes. I laid down the buddy once and my foot and ankle was pinned under the bike while it slide down the street.

If anyone remember this post and can find it please link it to this one.

Susan
here it is :( viewtopic.php?p=16185&highlight=#16185
Thanks Renae for being such a sport and letting Phil post this to help others in their decision making.
brat

Post by brat »

Yes THANK YOU Renae!!! And thanks Peabody for finding it!!

I hope you all can see how important the right gear is no matter what you are riding!!

Susan
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

AgentKestrel wrote: I'm actually a huge fan of Tanker Boots. They protect your feet well, look good (IMHO), and arn't really that hot during the summer months.
I can tell you that Tanker's have saved me. I went down on a metal grating bridge about 20 years ago. I sheared off the bottom buckle and disfigured the top buckle. I broke a bone in my hand but I hate to think what my ankle would have looked like after rolling on the bridge.

My current boot of choice is the Cherry Red 10 hole steel toe Grinder's.

Dave
Fueldrum

Post by Fueldrum »

ScooterDave wrote:
AgentKestrel wrote: I'm actually a huge fan of Tanker Boots. They protect your feet well, look good (IMHO), and arn't really that hot during the summer months.
I can tell you that Tanker's have saved me. I went down on a metal grating bridge about 20 years ago. I sheared off the bottom buckle and disfigured the top buckle. I broke a bone in my hand but I hate to think what my ankle would have looked like after rolling on the bridge.

My current boot of choice is the Cherry Red 10 hole steel toe Grinder's.

Dave
I don't even know how to respond to that picture.....
--Nick
whattheheck

Post by whattheheck »

Hmmm, I really need to get a motorcyle. I am now utterly self conscious to be riding my scooter.
codemonkey

Post by codemonkey »

I wear red doc martins. They're cute, girly and they keep my feet safe.
Kristy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
xtetra

Post by xtetra »

If you look around you can find desert tanker boots as well. They are a lighter color and bit cooler but you can't really keep em' polished to keep out the rain.

Another option is leather/canvas desert or jungle boots. Not as much protection as all leather but they are vented and kinda comfortable.
EBee

Post by EBee »

I'm having a tough time finding anything LIKE boots right now, they're considered "out of season" unless I head to a Harley store...NOT.

Do you all wear them, no matter what the distance of the ride? My Kroger's is a mile away...
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
brat

Post by brat »

You should be able to find hiking boots in sporting good stores. It is the right season for them. Also motorcycle gear stores tend to have boots, they tend to be racing boots. Even a military surplus store you can find boots. You need something that will last if you slide down the road and that will protect your ankles.
rob_fuel

Post by rob_fuel »

Thanks for all the replies. Really like the look of those tanker boots, but I'm not really sure that they'll do anything to relieve my hot, stinky feet. Especially since they're waterproof and look to be almost as tall as the boots I'm wearing now. Thinking about these I found at leatherup.com:

http://www.leatherup.com/product.asp?pf ... ss%2DBrown
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

Boots are boots are boots are boots. As long as you have ankle protection you are ok. You are not racing. You are not cruising at 80+mph. Just some nice leather boots that cover the ankle in case you go down.

Dave
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
EBee

Post by EBee »

ScooterDave wrote:You are not racing. You are not cruising at 80+mph.

Dave
Well, maybe YOU're not :twisted:

Actually that's my problem...I think about my scootering style and think, I don't need that much protection, I don't go over 60, etc etc. But then I hear about "if only" situations where the scooterist was just putt-putting along minding his own business, short ride to the store/get coffee/visit a friend/just a mile situation and they get creamed. So this is probably another topic but I feel like I'm either TOO geared up and uncomfortable (never mind an object of amusement to passersby), or I worry I'm not protected enough...like, do I go ahead and put on the boots/gloves/helmet/mesh to go to the corner store? What do the rest of you do to draw the line?

If I think about the risks TOO much, I could talk myself out of riding altogether (except it's too dang much fun!)
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

EBee wrote:I'm having a tough time finding anything LIKE boots right now, they're considered "out of season" unless I head to a Harley store...NOT.

Do you all wear them, no matter what the distance of the ride? My Kroger's is a mile away...
While it is a bit more trouble to lace 'em up for a trip to the grocery store for a couple of items, I'm wearing them alla time.

-jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

paige wrote:http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w%5B0%5D=s ... lourID=312

I wear Fluevog boots, the cowboy and the Tate. The soles are really comfortable and grippy.
A Modern Vespa member posted that she was wearing the Audrey's when some road rage A hole literally ran her off the road and ran over her foot!!!
Not kidding, no lie. She is perfectly fine and so is the shoe! Best endorsement for a shoe I've EVER heard. "I'm fine, the shoes fine and some asshat ran over my foot with his car!"

Fluevog, the fashionable and RELIABLE scooter shoes!!!
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

I wear my Oxtar Jupiter Classic IIs 99% of the time and I'm very happy with them. The other times I am wearing running shoes.

I bought them after seeing someone wearing them. I liked how they looked more shoe like than most boots. The photo makes them look a little more boot like around the foot then they actually are. Overall, they are very supportive, Gortex and I haven't really had any heat issues with them.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

i wear my ol non-slip steel toe work boots. i've change the insoles and add a bit of foot powder, which helps a great deal.
maryvu

Post by maryvu »

Sidi Rose in the cold/rain (deal on newenough.com). The heel gives me some extra height when stopping, so that is nice. They're really warm, and are high enough that when your pants hike up while riding, you're still protected.
http://newenough.com/browse/view_product_images/1269#

Rossi Endura the rest of the time. These are super durable, the soles are comfy, and the pull on and off. The elastic sides aren't ideal. So I may spring for a different model someday.
http://simplyoz.com/products/footwear/r ... ssi_endura
http://www.rossiboots.com.au/catalogue/ ... prodID=151

i love shoes.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Is there anything to keep my feet cool in summer?

Anyone make steel toe perforated leather over the ankle scooter moccasins?

And why not?
rob_fuel

Post by rob_fuel »

Anyone make steel toe perforated leather over the ankle scooter moccasins?

And why not?
Dude. For reals. :wink:
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

Sounds like a launch of a great new product born here on Modern Buddy!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I freaking LOVE shoes! When I got Pinky T. I bought two pairs of steel-toed Doc Martens (one black, one oxblood) boots and a pair of Nana steel-toed creepers. :D Hmmm...Fluevogs are just about the cutest shoes, ever...I think I hear my wallet calling me!

Now if I could only find a jacket that fit right. Grrrr.... :x
ModBud #442
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

dumb question: if a boot can be pulled on or off, what would keep it from getting pulled off in a wreck? esp a short one? I am thinking if sneakers peel off a boot could too. I have a snug zippered boot but am looking for a back up
BlueMark

boot grindin'

Post by BlueMark »

peabody99 wrote:dumb question: if a boot can be pulled on or off, what would keep it from getting pulled off in a wreck? esp a short one? I am thinking if sneakers peel off a boot could too. I have a snug zippered boot but am looking for a back up
Anything can happen with enough tumbling and sliding, but I don't think the road has the right kind of 'grip' to easily pull a boot loose without taking the foot with it - what you need to worry about is the boot grinding and peeling off.
StLScoot

Post by StLScoot »

So, in a late night frenzy, I bought these boots off of New Enough, 'cause they were cheap, and I liked that they weren't bulky, almost looked like a pair of Maddens if worn under a pantleg (which I intended). It was only on hindsight that I realized they're actually a street bike boot. Am I going to look like a total dipwad wearing street bike boots on a Buddy?
Attachments
boot2.jpg
boot2.jpg (6.11 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
boot.jpg
boot.jpg (6.47 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I love when threads return from the dead.

I'm always looking for new gear. I check out all of the moto and scooter shops when they have sales. A couple of weeks ago I scored a fully armored Vanson Vent Max 3 with stripes for $90-something. If I ordered it from Vanson, it's $175. Best hot weather jacket I've ever seen. Do I look "overdressed" on my scoot? Probably, but I don't give a crap.

Your gear is your call. You're an adult, you should be capable of making decisions for yourself. Occasionally I'll short-cut my gear. If I'm running out to pick up a sandwich for lunch I'll just grab my helmet and ride in work clothes and shoes. But, on any sort of "Ride", I plan my gear accordingly. I have a couple of jackets, a couple different pairs of riding pants, a few pairs of gloves and I'm currently looking for a 2nd pair of boots. My take is that footwear and gloves are next in the importance line after the helmet. Hands and feet take a lot of abuse and they're likely to be the first things that hit the pavement if you crash. I only wear motorcycle-specific gloves and boots. Why? Because they're better. They may not be the most versatile footwear but moto boots are designed to keep your feet safe, warm (or cool) and dry. I only buy and wear waterproof boots, although I might be tempted by vented summer boots in really hot, dry weather. They must have NO laces or laces that are covered and out of the way. Do you have laces dangling from your shoes while you're riding? They're less of a factor on scoots than bikes, but laces, in the moto world, are a real danger.

You can spend under $100 to well over $1000 on boots, but Frey Daytona Security Evos are overkill for a Buddy. The point is, if you do your research and watch out for off season sales, you can gear up cheaply and still hang onto all your digits if you go down. You really don't know what's waiting for you around that next blind corner.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

ICEMAN wrote:I wear whatever shoes are comfortable, if i get in an accident the least of my concerns will be the damage to my feet............
Tell that to POC Phil's buddy who took off all the meat in her foot, needed skin grafts, etc. Her foot WAS the worst damage in the accident.
castleton

Post by castleton »

I got these Caterpillar steel-toed "boots" (actually, they look more like hiking shoes) a few months ago for summer riding--they breathe really well and look pretty cool. They are a little higher than regular sneakers, but can't protect your ankles the way regular boots do. But if you're looking for something lighter to protect your toes, these are great!
Attachments
CAT-W89491_72330-03-y_psd.jpg
CAT-W89491_72330-03-y_psd.jpg (9.6 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

StLScoot wrote:So, in a late night frenzy, I bought these boots off of New Enough, 'cause they were cheap, and I liked that they weren't bulky, almost looked like a pair of Maddens if worn under a pantleg (which I intended). It was only on hindsight that I realized they're actually a street bike boot. Am I going to look like a total dipwad wearing street bike boots on a Buddy?
I say if you like 'em, wear 'em. If they can provide the protection you think you need, that's what you should focus on.

I kind of feel the same way about my Tourmaster Draft Air mesh jacket. Yeah, it is more sportbike-looking than I'd like, but it performs it function very well. I've learned not to care (that is until I have $200 burning a hole in my pocket and I stumble across the Corazzo website). :wink:
sunshinen

Re: boot grindin'

Post by sunshinen »

peabody99 wrote:dumb question: if a boot can be pulled on or off, what would keep it from getting pulled off in a wreck? esp a short one? I am thinking if sneakers peel off a boot could too. I have a snug zippered boot but am looking for a back up
Lots of car accidents you see the shoes knocked off people. I think this is a very valid concern, and is why I switched from pull-on style boots to hiking boots. You can find summer- or winter-weight ones, and they're usually thicker than other types (to boot :roll:). I just keep my sandals at work (or throw them in a backpack) and change when I get where I'm going.

Why are laces such a problem?
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Why are laces such a problem?
Laces get tangled on things. You're riding, the wind is blowing and before you know it, your laces are wrapped around some protrusion (shift lever, brake lever, center stand, side stand, whatever). Everything is fine until you stop and can't put your foot down.

Like I said, this is far less of a hazard on a CVT scooter but old habits die hard. So, I don't wear anything with laces on any 2 wheeled machine, including my bicycle.

Ironically, my current pair of boots are laced but the laces are held securely out of the way under a large velcro flap. So, when I say "no laces", I really mean no dangling laces.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Dave R
Dealer

Post by Dave R »

Here is a line of shortie boots from Puma ! They are called the flat 2 and they sell for $199.. We have a good selection on hand.
Attachments
Puma Flat 2.jpg
Puma Flat 2.jpg (13.96 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
Ducati Seattle/Genuine Scooters Seattle is now on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Genuine-S ... 555?ref=ts
Please become a fan
Val

Post by Val »

Red Wing zips... a great comfortable boot. I like that I can lace them up tight, then slip then on and off with ease
Attachments
967.jpg
967.jpg (47.96 KiB) Viewed 2191 times