[nbr] BMW Concept C

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

goldscott

[nbr] BMW Concept C

Post by goldscott »

Not for everyone's taste, but I like it

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/11/02/premi ... -motorrad/
TVB

Post by TVB »

It kind of reminds me of the (classic) Batcycle (sans sidekickcar):
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

this probably suits the retro scooterists more:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/09/26/mini- ... l-factory/

i want one already:

JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

and it's meant to be zero-e
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JoshWED wrote:and it's meant to be zero-e
Not the BMW! The press release simply states that it's a "2 cylinder inline engine." (They do also state, "In addition, some thought is being given to a future alternative drive with electric motor.")

By which they mean, "it might as well be powered by a flying unicorn 'cause you'll never be able to buy one."

I just can't believe they're calling a scooter without a roof the "C." :(
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This gives a better sense of the proportions:

Target market: douchebags!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i like the C. reminds of the Blur a bit. i guess thats what i like about it. so i'll just take the Blur :)

do not like the look of those quasi retro mini's. and the fact they are electric makes me just say NO
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

The weird trident/olive fork/horse blinders front of that thing can't be very aerodynamic, and looks like it'll block headlight visibility from the side. Or do they open up into wings?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Gallery of many images:
http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/11/02/world ... p90067704/

It also appears to be quite wide in the front and narrow and light in the back. Like a half tourer/half sport sort of thing. I have to wonder how this will handle.

The twin-cylinders suggests very large displacement. Odd that BMW hasn't given an actual spec. The rumors swilling for the past few years have said this is either a maxi or an electric. Looks like both were kind of right. At the probable price point, I'd think it would have to be at least 800cc to compete with the Gilera GP800. It will also have to compete with the Piaggio MP3s and the Peugeot Hy3.

I like the profile and styling in general, but this is still very concept-y. I have to wonder how much more practical it will become. There's little built-in storage (I doubt you can get a full helmet in there), but there will be BMW Motorrad (i.e., "pricey") accessories.

From the press release: "There are plans to manufacture these future production vehicles at the BMW Motorrad plant in Berlin."
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

Knowing BMW the following will be true:
  • It will be expensive
    It will handle beautifully (hoping for paralever/telelever suspension) despite not being able to feel the front end well...you just gotta believe...
    You will be able to disassemble the entire bike into components with the tool kit under the seat.
    Saddlebags will be a $1,000 add on.
    I will want one.
    It will be expensive.
I've ridden a number of BMWs over the years, and I am always blown away with the quality of the bike - they're simply a level above everyone else, in my opinion. You pay a lot for them, but they're worth it, in my opinion.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

killbilly wrote:Knowing BMW the following will be true:
  • It will be expensive
    It will handle beautifully (hoping for paralever/telelever suspension) despite not being able to feel the front end well...you just gotta believe...
    You will be able to disassemble the entire bike into components with the tool kit under the seat.
    Saddlebags will be a $1,000 add on.
    I will want one.
    It will be expensive.
I've ridden a number of BMWs over the years, and I am always blown away with the quality of the bike - they're simply a level above everyone else, in my opinion. You pay a lot for them, but they're worth it, in my opinion.
I'd gladly rent one for a cross-country jaunt. :)
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I think it looks awesome. If it really does end up being a 800+cc scooter then I could see me paying upwards of 10k for bmw quality if I fell in love during a test ride :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ericalm wrote:Target market: douchebags!
Where do I sign up!??!! :lol:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
ericalm wrote:Target market: douchebags!
Where do I sign up!??!! :lol:
I seriously doubt this guy would own a scooter without mirrors.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

not sure i like it as much looking at it from some of those angles. it has a very wide leg shield. i am not too fond of that. kind of gratuitous, but i assume it has a purpose. its just the scoot doesn't look so big, even using the model (rider) for reference

that leg shield reminds me of an MP3 from the side angle. i like the MP3 and would gladly own one, but my least favorite part is upfront

it kind of makes sense because of the wide track. the bmw uses a single wheel so idk?

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

JoshWED wrote:this probably suits the retro scooterists more:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/09/26/mini- ... l-factory/

i want one already:

put a sexy girl on it, still meh for me :(

the mod squad :nerd:

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

triple post but hey its all NEW scooter related :)

what do you guys think of the "little" MP3? any early word from any insiders? what will be the price?

here is a long article and a bunch of pictures of a couple from a scooter show

http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-367 ... 5-300.aspx
Keys

Post by Keys »

I actually like the new 'little' MP3 better. Seems more 'scooter-ish'.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
susann.t

Post by susann.t »

I like it - the wheels look a little weird, though. When they talk about "smartphones" I can only see iPhones in the pics and videos. I hope it's not iPhones only. iPhones suck (had one, so I know)
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

susann.t wrote: iPhones suck (had one, so I know)
:rofl: You are hilarious.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JHScoot wrote:triple post but hey its all NEW scooter related :)

what do you guys think of the "little" MP3? any early word from any insiders? what will be the price?

The proportions look off to me. The front looks a bit goofy to me. Then again, few people buy the MP3 for its looks.

I like the idea of a smaller, lighter MP3 but this is simply restyled, not lighter. The 300 weighs the same as the current 250, which is underpowered for the scoot's weight. I don't think we'll get the smaller one here.

Also, as I posted elsewhere, in what country is "Yourban" a good name? Good grief!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:

The proportions look off to me. The front looks a bit goofy to me. Then again, few people buy the MP3 for its looks.

I like the idea of a smaller, lighter MP3 but this is simply restyled, not lighter. The 300 weighs the same as the current 250, which is underpowered for the scoot's weight. I don't think we'll get the smaller one here.

Also, as I posted elsewhere, in what country is "Yourban" a good name? Good grief!
Yourban isn't the name, it's what'll happen if you show up to a Rally on something that ugly :)

Seriously it looks like some sorta bug mutant thing more than a bike. Though I'm not a fan of the regular MP3 either...
susann.t

Post by susann.t »

Rippinyarn wrote:
susann.t wrote: iPhones suck (had one, so I know)
:rofl: You are hilarious.
Just dead serious. My phone is smart but not smart enough tell me what phone company I have to use or what kind of computer I have own or most of all not which OS my computer is supposed to run.
TVB

Post by TVB »

susann.t wrote:Just dead serious. My phone is smart but not smart enough tell me what phone company I have to use or what kind of computer I have own or most of all not which OS my computer is supposed to run.
Looks like this discussion is going downhill fast enough to require a motorcycle endorsement.
susann.t

Post by susann.t »

TVB wrote:
susann.t wrote:Just dead serious. My phone is smart but not smart enough tell me what phone company I have to use or what kind of computer I have own or most of all not which OS my computer is supposed to run.
Looks like this discussion is going downhill fast enough to require a motorcycle endorsement.
Sorry. I got carried away
Syd

Post by Syd »

ericalm wrote:

I think they look good.

Were there scoots on that page?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Bb, I already posted my apology on 2StrokeBuzz. Me and my big mouth. :roll: Apparently, BMW were pretty impressed by Oberdan's sketch, huh? I have to admit, it was a pretty good sketch...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:Bb, I already posted my apology on 2StrokeBuzz. Me and my big mouth. :roll: Apparently, BMW were pretty impressed by Oberdan's sketch, huh? I have to admit, it was a pretty good sketch...
Chicken, egg…? I don't know if he's involved, knows something, or is just really good at making smart guesses.
BootScootin'FireFighter

JHScoot wrote:what do you guys think of the "little" MP3?
I love the real MP3, not for looks, but for touring practicality. It is still on my wishlist. I don't think I'd be a fan of the MP3 mini-me anywhere under 400cc's. I think I'll cross my fingers and wait on the Hybrid model or just opt for the 500.

Is it just me, or does the head look disproportionally small on the body? This was the first image that popped in my head after seeing it...
Attachments
beetlejuice.jpg
beetlejuice.jpg (61.92 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Syd wrote:
ericalm wrote:

I think they look good.

Were there scoots on that page?
yeah a bunch of photos down at the bottom to be viewed individually or as a slideshow
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
JHScoot wrote:what do you guys think of the "little" MP3?
I love the real MP3, not for looks, but for touring practicality. It is still on my wishlist. I don't think I'd be a fan of the MP3 mini-me anywhere under 400cc's. I think I'll cross my fingers and wait on the Hybrid model or just opt for the 500.

Is it just me, or does the head look disproportionally small on the body? This was the first image that popped in my head after seeing it...
i would like to have a 400/500cc MP3 myself. to go along with a couple of smaller scoots. like you i think it would be great for touring, and also offer some great handling for when the touring gets mundane, and some twisty roads call.

the smaller MP3's would seem a good around town scoot, but now that i am totally acclimated to being on two wheels i wonder what real advantage it might serve in the city
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

And, no offense to my fellow scooterists, but this is by far and away my fave of what BMW have shown this week at EICMA, the F800R. It looks like my kind of motorcycle, narrow, light, couple cylinders, upright seating position and a reasonable dose of that love-it-or-hate-it BMW styling.
Attachments
BMW2011F800R.jpg
BMW2011F800R.jpg (78.98 KiB) Viewed 991 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:And, no offense to my fellow scooterists, but this is by far and away my fave of what BMW have shown this week at EICMA, the F800R. It looks like my kind of motorcycle, narrow, light, couple cylinders, upright seating position and a reasonable dose of that love-it-or-hate-it BMW styling.
I love the new G650GS and R1200R, too. Slick!
BootScootin'FireFighter

jrsjr wrote:And, no offense to my fellow scooterists, but this is by far and away my fave of what BMW have shown this week at EICMA, the F800R. It looks like my kind of motorcycle, narrow, light, couple cylinders, upright seating position and a reasonable dose of that love-it-or-hate-it BMW styling.
I want one of those!
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I like the BMW. The new mini MP3, someone tell me what I am missing here? It looks like to be the same size as regular MP2 but has bigger wheels?
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Stormswift wrote:I like the BMW. The new mini MP3, someone tell me what I am missing here? It looks like to be the same size as regular MP2 but has bigger wheels?
Yeah, pretty much. The front is redesigned, 13" tires, different lighting. Basically, a less aggressive, more upright and scooter-like profile. Also, will come in a 300cc.