Having a tough time tonight :( Downer story

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Howardr

Having a tough time tonight :( Downer story

Post by Howardr »

I was driving home this evening after dropping my mother off at home. (I had spent most of the day in the ER with her, but that's another story.) I'm sitting at a little waiting for green. The cross traffic stopped as their light turned red. I saw something moving fast off to my left and saw a Harley moving fast toward the light.

He apparently didn't realize traffic was stopped and tried to split lane. For some reason he hit the brakes because I heard a short tire squeal just before he hit the first car. The bike and rider caromed off of several vehicles and I saw his body come from between the lanes of cars, literally cartwheeling before coming to a stop in the intersection.

I heard him cry out as I exited my van and ran across 3 lanes of traffic to get to him. I could tell from a distance that his right leg was at an un-natural angle. I realized as I arrived and began to assess the damage that it had been amputated just above the knee. His right arm was twisted and bent into horrible angles.

He had no helmet and wreaked of alcohol. I'm an ER nurse, but it was still a tough thing to watch. Surprisingly, he had no visible head injury.

Three other nurses and a paramedic were also at the intersection and arrived shortly after I did. He was still alive when the ambulance arrived on the scene, but barely. I don't think he'll make it.

His body cartwheeling along the pavement and that severed leg keeps replaying in my head. I just kind of needed to tell someone else about it.

Sorry about being a wet blanket. Please be careful out there guys.

God bless,

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

:shock:
Howard, I'm sorry you had to see that this evening, it's all I can say really.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wow.

I'm having a tough time coming up with a response to this, but wanted to say SOMETHING.

Stories like this drive home the risks we take when we ride. Seeing it in person—I can't even guess how that would affect me.

Take care of yourself. Folks, this stuff is all too real.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

A wet blanket? Hardly Howard. A human being is more like it.

What a horrific event to witness. Reminds one of how fragile we all are (and that alcohol and driving do not mix). I will hope for the best for the poor driver and his family.

Do take care Howard. For what it is worth, with tragic events like this, I try to focus on the positive lessons I can learn from it, to try and find some benefit out of the tragedy. If we all learn something from it perhaps it can serve to save us from a similarly tragic fate.

Take it easy Howard. Spend some time with the people you love.

Skootz

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
stiffi

Post by stiffi »

Well, sorry to hear that, but you WILL get over it.

I had a similar experience...I and some friends were coming up I-95 one night leaving DC headed for Baltimore. It was late at night/early in the morning, I think around 2 AM.

We got hungry and decided to follow a "Food/Fuel" sign on the highway to an unfamiliar road. It was dark, and we were the only car on the road until...we came upon a rider, who had just crashed. I say rider, but first, we came upon a shoe, then some bike parts, then another shoe, then finally a rider, in the middle of the road, moaning and nearly unconscious. He had no helmet, and a HUGE gash across the top of his head. The bike was in the grass, about 50 yards away. We surveyed the damage, then quickly ran to a nearby house. This was 15 years ago, so nobody had a cell phone. We frantically banged on the door for owners, and asked to use their phone.

I actually don't remember the rest of the details. I wasn't drinking, but it's like I blacked it out. I don't remember who called 911, or who stayed with the rider. I know we waited until the ambulance came. The one scary part I do remember was walking back to the 1st shoe in the road. I looked at it, and it was bloody. I think the foot had been severed off and was still inside. That's about the last thing I remember.

I had a motorcycle license then, but did not have a bike at the time. I obviously ride now. I think I have subconsciously forgotten about the details to keep myself from being scared when riding.
Thought I was buying a Buddy and ended up with a People 150. Hanging out for the cool conversation!
Keys

Post by Keys »

Similar thing happened to me...only I was the guy on the bike. I was just leaving a high school parking lot (I was a custodian at the time) on my '76 XLCH when some kid pulled his Fiat out in front of me from between two 4X4 pickups. His stereo was so loud he couldn't hear my open pipes and didn't bother to look first. I t-boned him and flew over the car and promptly went to sleep on the pavement. Totalled the Sportster and I got to visit the nurses in the hospital. He ran into the office of the school yelling, "I just killed a guy!!"

Kinda humorous looking back on it. Didn't think so at the time...

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

never ride while intoxicated

always wear a helmet :helmet:
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Hang in there Howard. I'm sure you've seen some bad things in your line of work, and this being a lot more difficult to cope with since you actually witnessed it. It will pass after some time. Take the moment to reconnect with loved ones and talk about it, life is very fragile. At least you were able to try to help, even though your resources were limited. He had paramedics called immediately, the scene was protected, and as much pain as he was in, everyone there was able to make it a little more bearable. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have a bad wreck and be all alone without any help.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

What a story... and thanks for sharing that as a wake up call to us all. Take some time to reflect on what you saw, but know that there are many things that you do every day when you ride that could have mitigated or avoided that accident completely. I hope that the motorcyclist makes a recovery and can live to learn from his mistakes.

Once when I was in an hospital-based education internship, I was sort of the official photographer for a small hospital. One morning, they summoned me to the ER to document a case before surgery. I gowned up quickly and grabbed my Nikon. The patient was on the table, already out. He looked uninjured except for his exposed right leg. The leg was missing the foot. It was a shocking sight and I'm glad that I had to keep my face next to the viewfinder. Looking through the viewfinder sort of removes the immediacy of the situation, so I could continue. I'm not generally squeamish, and had seen plenty of stuff by that time, so I really don't know why it affected me then. I finished with a couple of angles and went to leave, but they said "this too", and brought over the stainless steel bowl with the foot. On ice, it didn't look too bad, but I still pressed that camera into my face. I later heard that the surgery went well and that they expected that the patient would have "some functionality" if the recovery went well. Yes, it was a motorcycle accident, and from that day forward, I've been a huge fan of heavy boots, steel toes and military-grade leather for my footwear. At the time I was not riding, but just a few years before we tore up Central Florida on mopeds. No helmets of course, and probably sneakers only on our feet. Live and learn.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Wow - and after all the wonderful and awesome posts, routes, pictures and full of life energy you have shared with all of us - I am so sorry you had to see that or that it had to happen yet it does kind of hit all of us I would guess as a wake up call that we are not invincible and definitely not made of steel (or titanium?). Thanks for sharing. Be thankful you can still go a ride and feel the sunshine on your face! I am.

It is storied like this that keeps me from pushing our daughter to ride more – I think she had a close call or something and just won’t talk about it as she rides very little with us and even less on her own this past year. So the V3GAN is still not broke in yet she is safe, alive and well and that is the most important part.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

It just proves that being a trained medical professional doesn't make you immune to the sights you see. Sorry it was you that had to see it Howard.
Vic

Post by Vic »

When I have had to deal with folks that have/are suffering from horrific injuries (or illness, really) I try to focus on being there for the person and giving what comfort I can to the person. You were there and I know that the nurse in you kicked in and you gave comfort and aid to a total stranger, even if they don't make it, they were not alone and did not have to suffer all alone on that road. That is so important!

One thing that my experience working with hopsice nurses, most especially when my mother was on hospice, is that very often just being there for the person makes all the difference in the world. My mom was in a coma at the end, and not even responsive to pain, but when people were in the room her breathing evened out and if people were in the room before we took her vital signs they were calmer than if people were not in the room. I take that to mean that something deep inside her was aware that someone was there and that she was not alone.

Hugs, and I appreciate you sharing this story with us.
-v
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

That's tragic on several levels. It was good that you were there given your profession and the fact that you're a fellow rider. The fact that you're torn up about it just proves that you are a human being and that's perfectly healthy. It's also a good reminder that there's risk involved in riding. Manageable risk, but risk none the less.

Just take it as an opportunity to appreciate who you've got in your life and your good senses.

I also hope your mother gets well soon. For every down, there's an up, so just keep a look out for that.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Howard, sorry you had to witness such a tragic event. This demonstrates, without a doubt, how the choices we make effect people we don't even know in ways we can't even imagine. This persons choice to ride intoxicated while wearing no protection has taken its toll on all who witnessed his demise. I will not presume to tell others how to conduct themselves when it comes to safety gear. They consider it a personal choice. We see now how it goes far beyond that.
rayk

Post by rayk »

JHScoot wrote:never ride while intoxicated

always wear a helmet :helmet:
:+!: :+!:
MB #2932
Ride safe.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

ericalm wrote:Wow.

I'm having a tough time coming up with a response to this, but wanted to say SOMETHING.

Stories like this drive home the risks we take when we ride. Seeing it in person—I can't even guess how that would affect me.

The guy was an idiot. He was drunk, out of control, and danger to everyone around him. This time he only fooked himself up. Next time, if he lives, he will more than likely fook someone else up along with him. No sympathy what-so-evah. I've been riding for decades on the street without getting hurt, or hurting anyone else. It isn't luck people, it's by design. Pay attention(360 awareness), don't speed in population, don't ride intoxicated (for you Buddhist's you know that intoxication does not stop with alcohol or drugs), make sure your bike and gear are in serviceable condition. It really isn't that hard. I don't mean to sound like an ahole, but that guy made all the decisions that led up to his crash. It's all his fault.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

There are a couple of positives you can take from this...

Often, the person who's impaired winds up hurting someone else. Apparently, that's not the case this time.

Also, while I've never witnessed a bad riding accident (as it happened, I've come up on them shortly after) I have witnessed some violent auto collisions that really shook me. There's a difference between seeing the actual event in action as opposed to coming up on it shortly thereafter. If you're like me, it'll stick with you for a while. I learned something from both of the bad ones that I actually saw happening and feel they helped me be safer on the road.

You're a smarter rider/driver once you understand how fragile you are and how random life can be.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

Any update on the rider? Did he, somehow, make it?
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

It is all about decisions. We all know what alcohol does. We all know stats on what happens when riding without any protection, speeding, reckless driving etc. It is not just in MFS manual. It is in every driving and riding manual and is part of the permit test. Some of us actually paid attention. This unfortunate guy did not. He not only may have forfeited his own life he also traumatizes everyone who saw the accident and tried to assist him

Howard, take care of yourself .
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rsrider wrote:
ericalm wrote:Wow.

The guy was an idiot. He was drunk, out of control, and danger to everyone around him. This time he only fooked himself up. Next time, if he lives, he will more than likely fook someone else up along with him. No sympathy what-so-evah. I've been riding for decades on the street without getting hurt, or hurting anyone else. It isn't luck people, it's by design. Pay attention(360 awareness), don't speed in population, don't ride intoxicated (for you Buddhist's you know that intoxication does not stop with alcohol or drugs), make sure your bike and gear are in serviceable condition. It really isn't that hard. I don't mean to sound like an ahole, but that guy made all the decisions that led up to his crash. It's all his fault.
My sympathies are not for the rider but for Howardr. Witnessing something like this can be traumatic.

No matter what decisions and behaviors we undertake to mitigate risk, it's never eliminated.The best, most cautious rider in the world is still not invulnerable. An alert, sober and responsible rider could find themselves on the other side of a situation like this: A drunk driver runs a light and pulls in front of the motorcycle or scooter.

As unlikely as these injuries may be, part of being a responsible and aware rider is understanding the risks involved.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
basil46

Post by basil46 »

Wow, what a traumatic, you witnessed.
Always wear a helmet no matter what. I wear a helmet all the time even ride a short distance. Leave attitude at home and wear a helmet and ride safety.
Greta

Post by Greta »

I'm sorry Howard. Always amazes me how many rn's, emt's doc's and rt's there happen to be at accidents. And they always come to help. Thanks for being one.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Witnessing that will stay with you forever, Howard. For better or worse. Sorry for that.

It will have an effect on you, your choices about riding; (hopefully you choose to continue to follow your bliss by riding), seeing that, remembering that, will influence how you ride, and the decisions you make involving riding. Hopefully making you an even better, safer, and more vocal advocate for safety on 2 wheels.

Not to diminish the victim's situation, or your trauma for having witnessed it, but there are elements of danger in nearly everything we undertake....I'm sure you see that firsthand on a daily basis in your occupation.

Please keep that in perspective when reflecting on this event...if it weren't for the human spirit, and faith we'd never venture out of our homes!

Best regards, and thank you for sharing....this should be a wake-up call to everyone as well.
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

The amazing part of this is that you were there and took action, Howardr. Thank you.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Thanks to everyone for your kind responses. I knew posting it here was a good idea. I love the MB community.

I did ride into work today. I thought about yesterday's crash at every light, but still enjoyed the ride, though not as much as usual.

I've been trying to find out about the rider, but haven't been able to find anything in our local news.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

I'm sorry but you will never be totally able to shake this. I was 17 when I saw a motorcycle rider try to pass a semi on the right, on the shoulder, just when the truck decided to make a right turn. The motorcycle rider was decapitated. I'm 52 ...... the images still hang with me.

Never take foolish risks...could be your last.
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

dakotamouse wrote:I'm sorry but you will never be totally able to shake this. I was 17 when I saw a motorcycle rider try to pass a semi on the right, on the shoulder, just when the truck decided to make a right turn. The motorcycle rider was decapitated. I'm 52 ...... the images still hang with me.

Never take foolish risks...could be your last.
yup, when I was a little kid I was on a family vacation up in northern michigan when I saw a guy on a motorbike get t-boned by a big pick up truck. My dad said the truck must have been going at least 50mph through the intersection and when the guy got hit his body bent in ways that I will remember for the rest of my life. Humnas are fagile things and I'm sorry you had to see such a horrible sight Howard. Be safe everybody.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Howard, so sorry you witnessed this horrific accident. The most helpful thing I can say is that, as an RN, you probably have access to somebody to talk to about your experience should you feel the need.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

None for the Road

You know drinking and driving don’t mix. And on a motorcycle, alcohol is even more deadly. So the Florida Department of Transportation wants to remind you to make it None for the Road.

Impaired Riding Statistics

Alcohol was a factor in 10 percent of all motorcycle crashes in 2005 and 9 percent in 2006 in Florida. Motorcycle Safety Program Technical Assessment, page 6. 2008.
Alcohol was a factor in 27 percent of all fatal motorcycle crashes in 2005 and 20 percent in 2006 in Florida. Motorcycle Safety Program Technical Assessment, page 6. 2008.
Recent studies by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the states of Florida and Kentucky, and in Australia ("Quick tips: The Importance of Riding Unimpaired by Alcohol or Other Drugs." Motorcycle Safety Foundation, http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Alcohol_Awareness.pdf PDF, 2006.) indicate the following:

Having any alcohol in one’s body increases the chance of crashing by five times.
Having a BAC greater than 0.05 percent increases the risk of crashing about 40-fold.
One-fourth of all fatal alcohol-related motorcycle crashes involve motorcyclists running off the road, overturning, or falling from the motorcycle rather than striking another object.

"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL