Amerivespa 2011: New Orleans

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

cdwise

Post by cdwise »

ericalm wrote:
chloefpuff wrote:Well, despite all the gushing in my earlier post about NOLA, I'm not going. The typical daytime temp is around 90 that time of year. I have multiple sclerosis and I can't handle that heat and humidity.
Sorry you can't make it. Here's hoping they choose somewhere much cooler for 2012! (I'm still pushing for Vancouver, but it's a long shot.)
Like cloefpuff NOLA in June is too much for me. Depending on where 2012 is I may make that one. Denver would suit me. :)
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Those of you who are dreading the heat of Nola June, don't forget Big Easy Weekender 4 is @ the end of this month. 8)
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

this year we will be prepared with extra water bottles!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

OKAY. Me & Mrs. Ericalm (aka GatsbyGirl aka she has a real name, which you'll learn) are flying in on Wednesday, out on Monday.

Stoked!!!!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

What are you all riding?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TBD. I'm working on a couple loaners.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

If I get the top end on the P replaced in time, you can borrow red Stella. I'll even put on the real seat :) polianarchy will be riding the evil orange.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I'm bringing my p200 and might ALSO bring my Buddy if I got room (which I should) and am not feeling too lazy (somewhat likely). If I bring both someone could prolly borrow the Green Hornet.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lmyers wrote:If I get the top end on the P replaced in time, you can borrow red Stella. I'll even put on the real seat :) polianarchy will be riding the evil orange.
Thanks; I'll let you know as soon as I do!
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Ill mostlikely bring the blurkus!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ericalm wrote:OKAY. Me & Mrs. Ericalm (aka GatsbyGirl aka she has a real name, which you'll learn) are flying in on Wednesday, out on Monday.

Stoked!!!!
YAYAYAYAY!!! !!! !!!
lmyers wrote:If I get the top end on the P replaced in time, you can borrow red Stella. I'll even put on the real seat :) polianarchy will be riding the evil orange.
DOUBLE TRIPLE QUADRUPLE YAYAYAYAY!!! !!! !!!
ModBud #442
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

And how are you getting there, PI?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

lmyers wrote:And how are you getting there, PI?
:oops: Amtrak. 8)
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

FYI, plane tickets this week were $200 less than last week. Buy now!
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Parking for the hotel is $20na day which would be around $200 for the time stayed for 2 parking spaces :shock:
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I regretfully announce that after taking a big hit this tax season and crunching the expenses of this trip, that I have to cancel my reservation and plans on Amerivespa. It was a difficult decision to come to, as I had reservations and a route mapped out with camping stops. I'm sorry I won't be able to meet some of you awesome people, but I gotta be responsible this time around and hopefully next year will work out, as long as it's not any farther west. I'll experience it vicariously through everyone else's pictures, posts and facebook updates.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Sorry to hear it, BSFF! Next time, my friend!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:I regretfully announce that after taking a big hit this tax season and crunching the expenses of this trip, that I have to cancel my reservation and plans on Amerivespa. It was a difficult decision to come to, as I had reservations and a route mapped out with camping stops. I'm sorry I won't be able to meet some of you awesome people, but I gotta be responsible this time around and hopefully next year will work out, as long as it's not any farther west. I'll experience it vicariously through everyone else's pictures, posts and facebook updates.
Thats a bummer man. Till next year!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

polianarchy wrote:
lmyers wrote:And how are you getting there, PI?
:oops: Amtrak. 8)
I have to admit that I like long train trips. I have a hard time getting into a "relaxed" mode and on a train I'm kind of forced to. It's a good time to unwind, enjoy a good book, meet people in the lounge and dining cars and grab a nap anytime I want to! The only problem I have with Amtrack is that they are alost always late. Oh yeah...bring your own snacks!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

BuddyRaton wrote:I have to admit that I like long train trips. I have a hard time getting into a "relaxed" mode and on a train I'm kind of forced to. It's a good time to unwind, enjoy a good book, meet people in the lounge and dining cars and grab a nap anytime I want to! The only problem I have with Amtrack is that they are alost always late. Oh yeah...bring your own snacks!
Yup. I could've written any and all of that. :D
ModBud #442
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

BuddyRaton wrote:I have to admit that I like long train trips. I have a hard time getting into a "relaxed" mode and on a train I'm kind of forced to. It's a good time to unwind, enjoy a good book, meet people in the lounge and dining cars and grab a nap anytime I want to! The only problem I have with Amtrack is that they are alost always late. Oh yeah...bring your own snacks!
I'm a big fan of the potential of Amtrak. So many politicians are pushing for transit reform and "high speed rail", which I believe will be incredible, as well as incredibly expensive. They need to make their current system more attractable in the form of affordability. There is no reason a ride from Washington to New York should cost over $50 when there are over a dozen bus lines going from downtown to downtown for as low as $1 (megabus, boltbus, greyhound, vamoose, dctrails, and chinatown buses to name a few). Full fare being $25. The trains are already scheduled and will operate regardless, fill those damn seats! We're too busy subsidizing highways and fuel prices, but nothing to make Amtrak competetively priced. I'd rather take an Amtrak to Chicago, but at over $150 and over 5x the time it takes to fly from Dulles to Midway, which goes for under $99, that's a no-brainer. It boggles my mind, and it's no wonder airports and interstate highways remain used over capacity.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:I'm a big fan of the potential of Amtrak.
Exactly!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Scooterist Summer Camp 2011 is getting close!

I bought a big ass rolling duffle suitcase thing for my crap. I may have special MB member pins available so we can spot each other. Gotta find me first!
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Will you be helping Arlene again?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lmyers wrote:Will you be helping Arlene again?
Nope, she's not going to be able to make it this year. That means I get to go on giant pizza runs (or whatever). :)

I'm testing their men's jacket now and she asked me if I'd be wearing it in NO. I don't think I'm bringing anything other than my mesh!
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

ericalm wrote:
lmyers wrote:Will you be helping Arlene again?
Nope, she's not going to be able to make it this year. That means I get to go on giant pizza runs (or whatever). :)

I'm testing their men's jacket now and she asked me if I'd be wearing it in NO. I don't think I'm bringing anything other than my mesh!
Unfortunately, Tracy won't be joining us so someone needs to step up and watch some NOLA Man vs Food.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I don't think we'll have to resort to MvF to find awesome food in NO. :)

My personal mission is to find a proper Ramos gin fizz. May have to do it Sunday, post-rallying, so I'm not drinking & riding.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

ericalm wrote:Scooterist Summer Camp 2011 is getting close!

I bought a big ass rolling duffle suitcase thing for my crap. I may have special MB member pins available so we can spot each other. Gotta find me first!
You'll be the guy with the man-bag, right? :D

I go into my second interview for the new job this Thursday so I will hopefully know by Friday whether I will make it or not. If they delay until next Tuesday or later in deciding, I will definitely make it since I will be giving two weeks notice and that will allow me time to make the trip! Keeping my fingers crossed to both get the job and make the trip!!! 8)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pugbuddy wrote:Keeping my fingers crossed to both get the job and make the trip!!! 8)
Best possible outcome! Good luck.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Got the job! Even better, my current employer said since I had already scheduled my trip to NOLA and they had ok'd it, they would allow me to use my PTO for it even though it was in the "two weeks notice" timeframe! Very nice of them.

However, I'm waiting to see if my scooter will have a ride back to Tulsa since I have to fly back Sunday night to make my first day on the new job on 06/20. If the ride comes through (and gearhead hasn't filled my spot in the hotel room--which may have happened) then I'll see everyone down there this year! :D
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Pugbuddy, we still have space for you!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

pugbuddy wrote:Got the job!
Great news! Congratulations! :clap:
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:So many politicians are pushing for transit reform and "high speed rail", which I believe will be incredible, as well as incredibly expensive. They need to make their current system more attractable in the form of affordability. There is no reason a ride from Washington to New York should cost over $50 when there are over a dozen bus lines going from downtown to downtown for as low as $1 (megabus, boltbus, greyhound, vamoose, dctrails, and chinatown buses to name a few). Full fare being $25. The trains are already scheduled and will operate regardless, fill those damn seats! wonder airports and interstate highways remain used over capacity.
I looked into Amtrak from LA to San Luis Obispo where my kid is going to university $85 each way and that's the approximately the same distance as you are talking about. That's double the cost of a rental car & gas for one person, make it two and it comes out a hell of a lot cheaper to rent & drive.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

jrsjr wrote:
pugbuddy wrote:Got the job!
Great news! Congratulations! :clap:
Thanks guys!

Gearhead, will let you know asap whether I will be there or not! I need to verify the ride back for the scoot is available; can't leave the new scoot in NOLA! :D
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

lmyers wrote:What are you all riding?
I'm bringing my 67 Vespa GT heavily modified Rat. I think I may have an outside shot at best rat bike.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Final arrangements made. Return flight ticket purchased. See everyone in NOLA! :D
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

BuddyRaton wrote:
I'm bringing my 67 Vespa GT heavily modified Rat. I think I may have an outside shot at best rat bike.
Dude, I'd vote for the GT. That's one sweet piece of scooter trash... what mods have you done?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

pugbuddy wrote:Final arrangements made. Return flight ticket purchased. See everyone in NOLA! :D
Wonderful news! Congratulations on the new job, too. Yay! :D
ModBud #442
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

KRUSTYburger wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:
Dude, I'd vote for the GT. That's one sweet piece of scooter trash... what mods have you done?
83 p125 motor
HEAVILY ported
Malossi 166 top end ported to match case
mazzy cut racing crank
P200 tree
p200 clutch (banded)
Modified DelOrto 24/24 carb
Custom expansion chamber with Prima stinger
Westach CHT gauge
BGM adjustable front dampener
Claus Studio rear shock mount
Prima adjustable rear shock
Smallframe racing seat
FA Italia rims
Heidenau tires
and of course

The coolest freaking fender crest anyone has ever seen!
Attachments
SEGT1.jpeg
SEGT1.jpeg (69.8 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
www.teamscootertrash.com

KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Ooo.. haha, I have seen the rat before. I thought for a second it was the rubber one you won at WSM! but that one didn't have wings. My favorite is the sticker with the guy knocking the other guy's block off!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The organizers this year are already kicking ass. They're putting together a VERY useful mobile site:
http://scootneworleans.com/amerivespa/mobile/

And have a list of recommended "unofficial" rides.
http://scootneworleans.com/amerivespa/m ... rides.html

There will be some more unofficial rides announced soon. Those of you who are on Twitter & Facebook should follow Amerivespa and the local NO clubs.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Ooo.. haha, I have seen the rat before. I thought for a second it was the rubber one you won at WSM! but that one didn't have wings. My favorite is the sticker with the guy knocking the other guy's block off!
I have the WSM I Best Rat award in my office. That thing is one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen thumbtacked to a board. It's filled with some kind og gel so whenever someone comes in and touch it they all say "EWWWWWW!!!!" It freaking rocks!

That scooter also took peoples choice at Scooter Encounter (mainly a maxi rally) and Best Rat at Sleep Away camp 7.

Cheryl, you gotta take it for a ride at AV! After all, you loaned me your P200 for the slow race!
www.teamscootertrash.com

r0sa

Post by r0sa »

So I checked the weather for next weekend and it looks like it will be raining the whole weekend....I hope this isn't true :?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

r0sa wrote:So I checked the weather for next weekend and it looks like it will be raining the whole weekend....I hope this isn't true :?
Weather on this continent can't be accurately predicted more than three days in advance. :D
ModBud #442
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

And I was so looking forward to going on the swamp tour where one is surrounded by hungry alligators. Guess I'll have to pass :D
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

lmyers wrote:And I was so looking forward to going on the swamp tour where one is surrounded by hungry alligators. Guess I'll have to pass :D
I was tempted by that tour, but then I remembered I hate nature. I'm gonna get lost in the city instead (and get good & comfy on not-so-Evil Orange!).
ModBud #442
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

polianarchy wrote:
lmyers wrote:And I was so looking forward to going on the swamp tour where one is surrounded by hungry alligators. Guess I'll have to pass :D
I was tempted by that tour, but then I remembered I hate nature. I'm gonna get lost in the city instead (and get good & comfy on not-so-Evil Orange!).
I prefer my alligator blackened.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Any-1 from Saint Louis or the surrounding areas going??
We got 5 from the 30 Days Scooter Gang going.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

What the locals told me was that they'll get an afternoon shower, usually for 30-45 minutes, then it quits.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ericalm wrote:What the locals told me was that they'll get an afternoon shower, usually for 30-45 minutes, then it quits.
Aww who cares...it's only water!
www.teamscootertrash.com