Amerivespa 2011: New Orleans

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootsMcGillicuddy

Post by ScootsMcGillicuddy »

The other half, Perkussion, and I will be there as vendors! We'll be trailering in the Genuines and hoping to get a few rides in too! We booked at the Hilton.
We are very excited! :D
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

BuddyRaton wrote:
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:Seriously though, I'm thinking of going non-interstate highways along the Appalachians straight to Pensacola, then hugging the Gulf Coast to NO. Anyone considering riding along, let me know. I'm looking to arrive at least that Tuesday or Wednesday.
Check with Krusty. I'm sure there will be some of the Emerald coast crew making the ride from P'cola
Yeah, cmac & I rode our scoots to New Orleans for Big Easy Weekender last year and may do it again for AV. I'm going to try to trailer if I can, just to save time and butt fatigue. Riding through Gulfport is nice though, especially during the day.

Hey Raton, what camp site are you gonna stay at? Bayou Signette?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Booking my room tomorrow.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Why does it cost me $50 more to fly from LA to New Orleans in June than it cost me to fly from LA to Toronto at Xmas. Something is not right.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

OMIGOSH!!!!!

I just read this! NOLA is my favorite place in the whole world, I WANNA GO!!!!

Hubby and I went in December for our 25th anniversary. I kept dreaming about what a great place to scoot it must be (French Quarter and Marigny).

It's a mighty long way from Michigan but I WANNA GO
so tough, so pink
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Actually, it is quite a nice place to scoot except for all the crappy pothole-ridden streets. They have been really working on repaving a lot of the bad ones though, so I imagine it's much better now. I can't imagine that many scooters cruising around the quarter though! :shock:
blackjackgirl

amerivespa

Post by blackjackgirl »

We will be going, riding from Orlando to NO on a couple of budddy's and a vino. We can't wait!! We will be leaving Tuesday of that week if anyone wants to join us.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

My chance to finally meet the famous Krustyburger and I cannot make it (unless I get a great new job and some immediate vacation)! :cry:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Um, FAMOUS? I think you may be confusing me with someone else...

If you do go to amerivespa, I'll be the one sitting in the corner by myself
having a rootbeer and looking over all the pictures I took that day. :nerd:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Booked my room! w00t.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Um, FAMOUS? I think you may be confusing me with someone else...

I'm trying to figure it out but it doesn't look good....

EDIT: Ok, if I can find a roommate, I'll go. Anyone know of someone in need of a roomy? No smoking a must; no snoring a hope but not a deal-breaker.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pugbuddy wrote:
KRUSTYburger wrote:Um, FAMOUS? I think you may be confusing me with someone else...

I'm trying to figure it out but it doesn't look good....

EDIT: Ok, if I can find a roommate, I'll go. Anyone know of someone in need of a roomy? No smoking a must; no snoring a hope but not a deal-breaker.
SkootzKabootz was thinking about it and a roomie would help.

Also, check on the ModernVespa thread. Many more from there going!
If you get desperate, let me know.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Consider me desperate! The sooner I can plan for it, the better! I will PM SkootzKabootz and check on his plans. Thanks!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pugbuddy wrote:Consider me desperate! The sooner I can plan for it, the better! I will PM SkootzKabootz and check on his plans. Thanks!
I could post it to Twitter & FB if you like…
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

wow, it's going to be an awesome time. The more the merrier, It'll be awesome to put real names and faces to all these avatars!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:wow, it's going to be an awesome time. The more the merrier, It'll be awesome to put real names and faces to all these avatars!
I've met you and you don't look like your avatar. Your hair's shorter. ;)
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

ericalm wrote:
pugbuddy wrote:Consider me desperate! The sooner I can plan for it, the better! I will PM SkootzKabootz and check on his plans. Thanks!
I could post it to Twitter & FB if you like…
I'll cover FB. I don't have a Twitter account. I appreciate it!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I CAN GO! I CAN GO! I LOVE MY BOSS! OMG Y'ALL!!!
ModBud #442
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

polianarchy wrote:I CAN GO! I CAN GO! I LOVE MY BOSS! OMG Y'ALL!!!
YAY! We have the room from Wednesday to Sunday (I think). And I'm bringing both Stellas. And maybe the death trap (P200).
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

lmyers wrote:YAY! We have the room from Wednesday to Sunday (I think). And I'm bringing both Stellas. And maybe the death trap (P200).
You know I got you covered for one of the Stellas (the one that doesn't hate me)! OMG THIS IS GONNA BE EVEN FUNNER THAN LAST YEARRR Dang I'd better start saving $$$ & preparing my liver now. :D

I'll let you know (privately LOL! I'm sure ModBud doesn't care) when I arrange my travel, but Wednesday through Sunday sounds perfect. HOORAY!

Now to concentrate on getting a roomie for pugbuddy. 8)
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yay! So excited that you'll be there!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ericalm wrote:
Yay! So excited that you'll be there!
Me too! I had SO MUCH FUN last year. And I can't wait to meet Brill!
ModBud #442
BootScootin'FireFighter

:wink:
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Now to concentrate on getting a roomie for pugbuddy.
Thanks Poli!
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

time to purchase those early bird tickets @ $60!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

ericalm wrote:
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:wow, it's going to be an awesome time. The more the merrier, It'll be awesome to put real names and faces to all these avatars!
I've met you and you don't look like your avatar. Your hair's shorter. ;)
And I'm a little less green...... :rofl:
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gearhead wrote:time to purchase those early bird tickets @ $60!
Got mine! I'd gotten the hotel but neglected to register.

Now I'm looking at flights and trying to decide if I want to stay Sunday night.
Tam Tam

getting closer

Post by Tam Tam »

booked my room at the hilton a while back, and registered today, to make it official. The 21 Club patches are still in the works, as sometimes I have too many irons in the fire....one of them being to build some kind of voodoo altar on the front rack of my blackjack....
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Amerivespa....it's about the scooters, man

riiiight

:rofl:
Riding is riding
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JHScoot wrote:Amerivespa....it's about the scooters, man
We have scooters in CA; we don't need to go to Louisiana to see scooters or ride. It's mostly about the scooterists and the location. It's a little bit about the scooters. Last year was probably the largest gathering of MB members to date… until this year maybe.

Sure, there's drinking and cavorting as well for those who wish to partake. It was relatively low key in San Antonio last year, partially because it was so damn hot during the day that we were all worn out at night. I got to meet and hang out with some very hospitable locals who showed us the best late night taco truck in town among other things we'd have missed on our own.

Here's hoping in 2012 AV will be coming back West. That'll be announced at the end of this year's. I'm still hoping for Vancouver (or even Seattle) because that would be an amazing ride, well worth the time it would take. Of course, I wouldn't complain about anywhere in CA. I dunno, maybe they'll pick an East Coast location after TX and LA…
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

scooters in California, you say? well then I say we organize an Ameribuddy thing right here in Los Angeles and leave N.O. to high water and Brad and Angelina

hey, maybe they will show up! :shock:

here they are in Vietnam doing the "when in Rome thing" while hunting for orphans :)

oh, and i'd love to go to NO to cavort with fellow scooter 'peeps and get smashed...but i'm afraid it's not in the cards for me....this year :ninja:
Riding is riding
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JHScoot wrote:scooters in California, you say? well then I say we organize an Ameribuddy thing right here in Los Angeles and leave N.O. to high water and Brad and Angelina

A giant Buddy gathering was discussed in past years. There were a lot of issues hindering this. A big one was that the Buddys were still very new and appealed mostly to new riders. At the time, we had very low Buddy rider participation in local rides and rallies. Over the past 2 years, it's been growing.

Still, it's difficult to put on a national event in LA, largely due to cost of lodging. It might be interesting to try to do some Buddy/Genuine-only festivals. But if part of the point is to spread the Buddy love, wouldn't we want to invite everyone? Hmmm…

Brad and Angie won't come. Doubt we cold even get Hanks, who rides a Buddy much of the time now!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Two great links coming to us via polianarchy!

Help with rooms for those looking for a roommate:
http://scootneworleans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50

AV2011 Text Message sign up:
http://scootneworleans.com/amerivespa/a ... _text.html
There were some last minute scheduling and other changes last year that meant some people missed out on some rides. This will help keep track of last minute info!

And as I've said before, anyone thinking of going should be tracking the AV thread on ModernVespa.com:
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic74896
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ericalm wrote:Two great links coming to us via polianarchy!

Help with rooms for those looking for a roommate:
http://scootneworleans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50

AV2011 Text Message sign up:
http://scootneworleans.com/amerivespa/a ... _text.html
There were some last minute scheduling and other changes last year that meant some people missed out on some rides. This will help keep track of last minute info!

And as I've said before, anyone thinking of going should be tracking the AV thread on ModernVespa.com:
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic74896
lmyers gets the credit for the text message link! And I wouldn't have seen the scootneworleans forum without her sharing that link, either. :D SHARING IS CARING.
ModBud #442
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

Guys!
I know I've been MIA ever since AV San Antonio, but I'm so stoked about this years AV. NOLA here I come!!!

pugbuddy wrote: $140 a night is too much to pay (with an additional $20 per night for parking).
Didn't the hotel last year in San Antonio waive the parking fee per night because it was too absurd or people were complaining about it?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

r0sa wrote:Guys!
I know I've been MIA ever since AV San Antonio, but I'm so stoked about this years AV. NOLA here I come!!!
w00t! Glad you'll be there again!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

eric i like what you said about Amerivespa not being about scooters, but the scooterists, and all the camaraderie and the riding there. it puts a nice perspective on things. i think it's the "Vespa" part that threw me, as some Vespa owners seem a bit taken with their scoots

and yeah, a Buddy / Genuine convention would welcome scooters and Scooterisits of all kinds. i find Buddy people to be a friendly, open lot of riders. why, it's built right into the name! lodging expensive in Los Angeles? well, it could be, i suppose? depending where you stay and where the main gathering would take place. but we are a big, wide open city. rates can vary

heck, i would offer my sofa and floor to some. if they don't mind a sofa and floor. younger people i think are more open to that sort of stuff. its sorta "roughing it"and i am afraid i am not very exciting in my middle age. but if all that is needed is a place to sleep and eat, i figure many of us are welcoming and have digs big enough to accommodate.

hell, my closet could be cleared out for smaller folks :rofl:

just a far off plan, perhaps....but you never know! Genuine and Buddy have been around awhile now, and NoHo seems to be able to put on a pretty good BBQ these days :)
Riding is riding
BootScootin'FireFighter

JHScoot wrote:I think it's the "Vespa" part that threw me, as some Vespa owners seem a bit taken with their scoots
Vespa still is and for the forseeable future will be the majority and common folk name to classify scooters together... (ex: hey, did you ride your VESPA in to work today?) Same as everyone dubs loud pipe motorcycles as Harleys by default, and that brand accounts for the majority of bikes and apparel. I'm all for a Buddy or Genuine get-together, but like would like to welcome everyone. I don't think about the name AmeriVespa and feel awkward to hang with vintage riders or "Vespas". Around my co-workers, I dubbed it "Sturgis for Scooters", and of course, that generates some laughs.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I will probably be taking my Vespa... but maybe the Buddy too if I'm not bringing anyone else's bike. Gotta have the ol' Bud for the gymkhana! 8)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

KRUSTYburger wrote:I will probably be taking my Vespa... but maybe the Buddy too if I'm not bringing anyone else's bike. Gotta have the ol' Bud for the gymkhana! 8)
Your my kinda girl Krusty! I haven't picked what to take yet. I know the Buddy is going but then it's the rat or the SS180. I may have to mod the trailer!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
JHScoot wrote:I think it's the "Vespa" part that threw me, as some Vespa owners seem a bit taken with their scoots
Vespa still is and for the forseeable future will be the majority and common folk name to classify scooters together... (ex: hey, did you ride your VESPA in to work today?) Same as everyone dubs loud pipe motorcycles as Harleys by default, and that brand accounts for the majority of bikes and apparel. I'm all for a Buddy or Genuine get-together, but like would like to welcome everyone. I don't think about the name AmeriVespa and feel awkward to hang with vintage riders or "Vespas". Around my co-workers, I dubbed it "Sturgis for Scooters", and of course, that generates some laughs.
Amerivespa is hosted by the Vespa Club of America, which is part of the Vespa World Club and is in some way sanctioned by Piaggio Group (which owns Vespa). From what I understand, there are a handful of "official" local Vespa clubs in the US such as Vespa Club Los Gatos, which are affiliated with North American Federation of Vespa Clubs and the Federation of International Vespa Clubs (FIV). Groups need to meet certain criteria (have an official charter, etc.) to be a part of these august institutions. Historically, from what I understand, these relationships have been complex and a source of the kind of scooter world drama we're best off not discussing here and now 'cause I don't really know the scoop. :)

Like most scooter events, Amerivespa has changed as modern (auto) scooters have grown in popularity and there's been a rise in the availability and popularity of good non-Piaggio scooters. As far as I know, it's the largest scooter event in N. America. The event is open to all types of riders and scoots. I wouldn't show up on a Roketa (if I could find a running one, ha!), but the two years I've attended, everyone was very open minded and seemed to be into all kinds of cool 2-wheelers, regardless of make. (Much like most of us!)

Solely by my observations, AV 2009 in Los Gatos was probably about 15%-20% vintage scoots. The Buddy was the most popular non-Piaggio scoot there. There were more shifters and vintage scoots in San Antonio in 2010, but the percentage was still probably around 25%-30%. Genuines (Buddys and Stellas combined) were probably the most common non-Piaggios. I would guess that much of the difference iin the two ralliess due to both more people riding to Los Gatos than Texas as well as a few very well-organized and established vintage clubs in TX that attended. Any vintage snobbery was pretty much in jest. A lot of the vintage guys were very impressed by the BlackJack I was riding in San Antonio.

Genuine attended AV in '09 and '10 as a vendor. They even provided a support truck and some good company for our ride from LA to Los Gatos in '09. Kymco has also been an AV sponsor.

I wrote a wrap-up of AV2010 for Vespa Lexington's blog:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82788703@N ... 249621196/

This may or may not have run in the Vespa Club of America magazine, American Scooterist. I never got mine!
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

JHScoot wrote:scooters in California, you say? well then I say we organize an Ameribuddy thing right here in Los Angeles and leave N.O. to high water and Brad and Angelina

here they are in Vietnam doing the "when in Rome thing" while hunting for orphans :)

oh, and i'd love to go to NO to cavort with fellow scooter 'peeps and get smashed...but i'm afraid it's not in the cards for me....this year :ninja:
Love those DOT flipflops :twisted:
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

I'm excited for this years rally.... Let's get a roll call going to see who's all gonna be there!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

We'll need to figure out how to spot each other. I look mostly like I did last year. That wasn't the plan, but oh well.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Lol I'll have all the scars from last years rally :shock:
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I will have two or three more tattoos, but yeah I'm the same fat, short, and loud woman I always am. I'm hoping to be better at shifting by then, though. :oops:
ModBud #442
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Looking forward to kick it with the MB crew once again
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

polianarchy wrote:I will have two or three more tattoos, but yeah I'm the same fat, short, and loud woman I always am. I'm hoping to be better at shifting by then, though. :oops:
Ditto will thank you for showing the love.
BootScootin'FireFighter

gearhead wrote:Looking forward to kick it with the MB crew once again
we'll have to have a Modern Buddy pool party @ the Hilton! As we get closer to June, I'll review this thread and start PMing everyone with my contact info. I'm hoping to arrive by Wednesday and staying until Monday (or later if Jules can get more time off work).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'll start a MB roll call/check-in/meetup thread as AV gets closer.