Amerivespa 2011: New Orleans

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Amerivespa 2011: New Orleans

Post by ericalm »

The Amerivespa 2011 site is up and registration has begun!

For those who don't know much about the event, it's open to all scooters and scooterists. In fact, Genuine and Scooterworks are usually on hand. The past 2 years, Genuine Scooters have been the second most popular at AV, right after those from that company based in Italy.

This year's event promises to be one for the history books. The New Orleans clubs are stoked about hosting and started planning even before AV2010 had ended. It's also been the largest gathering of MB members. We all had a great time in San Antonio last year.

I'm making my plans and really hoping to make this one!

http://amerivespa.org

Here's my wrap up of AV2010, a glimpse of what you can expect this year: http://vespalexington.com/2010/06/ameri ... cooterism/
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

June is so far away! Who plans that far in advance?! ;o
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'd like to say I do and I have my plans all locked up, but it's still up in the air. Even last year, I decided kind of late, but I'm glad I went.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

trackpete wrote:June is so far away! Who plans that far in advance?! ;o
I've had my campground reservations for a few weeks now!

I met a bunch of the NO crew at White Sands Mayhem I. They are a great bunch of scooter heads and lots of fun. I'm sure they're going to do a great job!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TVB

Post by TVB »

That would be crazy.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Dec 15, I get to put in for that tour off work, it's prime vacation season! I'd like to ride down from DC, pick up any MB members along the way *I also may end up trailering*. The hostel also has really good rates, I'm thinking a private room for the lady and myself.

Seriously though, I'm thinking of going non-interstate highways along the Appalachians straight to Pensacola, then hugging the Gulf Coast to NO. Anyone considering riding along, let me know. I'm looking to arrive at least that Tuesday or Wednesday.
Mike @ NoHo Scooters
Dealer

Post by Mike @ NoHo Scooters »

Out of nowhere Jen told me she wanted to go last night. Now we have to figure out whether to take the little one or let the grandparents have fun with her. Only problem is that its right at the end of the school year for Jen and she has to do report cards and all the stuff a teacher does at the end of the year.

Im probally going to take the truck and trailer. Road trip!
Mike Frankovich
NoHo Scooters
North Hollywood, CA
www.nohoscooters.com

Named "Best Scooter Shop" by Los Angeles Magazine in their 2009 Best Of LA issue!

www.twitter.com/nohoscooters
www.facebook.com/nohoscooters
www.youtube.com/nohomike
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
Dec 15, I get to put in for that tour off work, it's prime vacation season! I'd like to ride down from DC, pick up any MB members along the way *I also may end up trailering*. The hostel also has really good rates, I'm thinking a private room for the lady and myself.

Seriously though, I'm thinking of going non-interstate highways along the Appalachians straight to Pensacola, then hugging the Gulf Coast to NO. Anyone considering riding along, let me know. I'm looking to arrive at least that Tuesday or Wednesday.

Check with Krusty. I'm sure there will be some of the Emerald coast crew making the ride from P'cola
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
hackett

Post by hackett »

Wish I could, but I'll be chained to my desk, studying for the bar exam in July. :(
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

If were only some time other than summer. I just can't take the heat/humidity. So unless there is some reason I have to stay in Texas I'll pass this year.

Though I may take the scoot through there the end of March. I've got a conference in Orlando and given the announcment that the Orlando airport now has those full body scanners and the "enhanced" screening for those who opt out of being scanned by them riding the scoot seems a much more appealing option. Heck, even taking the car sound far more appealing. :D
rajron

Post by rajron »

This coming summer the wife an I are will be taking an extended scooter vacation, Amerivespa sounds like a great place to go especially so because neither of us have ever been to New Orleans and we have always wanted to visit there. So, if we decide to go to LA will there be anyone else ridding through New Mexico on the way down there? We would like to hook up and ride together if it could be worked out. We will not be camping or intend to have sag; going there and back we intend to stay off the freeways as much as possible; we will both be riding larger Vespas’.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rajron wrote:This coming summer the wife an I are will be taking an extended scooter vacation, Amerivespa sounds like a great place to go especially so because neither of us have ever been to New Orleans and we have always wanted to visit there. So, if we decide to go to LA will there be anyone else ridding through New Mexico on the way down there? We would like to hook up and ride together if it could be worked out. We will not be camping or intend to have sag; going there and back we intend to stay off the freeways as much as possible; we will both be riding larger Vespas’.
I would LOVE to ride out from LA, but it would just take too much damn time.
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

How do people handle long-distance rallies like this?

For instance, I live in Seattle, Washington. I'd have to either take a week to ride down there, or fly down. But if I fly down, I miss out on the most important part of the rally: the rides. Would I rent a scooter when I get there, or ship down my scooter at great expense?
Author of <a href="http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 10921">The International Donut Debacle</A>
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I started adding up the cost and it will be a $1200+ week! That's a LOT for the rally.

Does anyone know of a less expensive alternative to the official hotel? $140 a night is too much to pay (with an additional $20 per night for parking).
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Scalpel wrote:How do people handle long-distance rallies like this?

For instance, I live in Seattle, Washington. I'd have to either take a week to ride down there, or fly down. But if I fly down, I miss out on the most important part of the rally: the rides. Would I rent a scooter when I get there, or ship down my scooter at great expense?
Rent, borrow or ship. I think shipping can be done as low as $350. I know a few people who ship their scoots all over the country to attend rallies.

A lot of people rented or borrowed last year. If you're renting, get a reservation in ASAP! The NO Genuine dealer does rentals:
Big Easy Scooters
3926 MAgazine St.
New Orleans, LA 70115
(504) 269-6465

Eagle Rider also has a rental location in NO.

There's a good chance other Seattlites are going. You may be able to find someone at a local club who's planning on trailering down. In the past, some groups have pooled together to get a large truck or trailer for 6-8 scoots. A lot of ModernVespa members attend so you may want to check there to see if anyone is trailering from WA.
wifiducky

Post by wifiducky »

the one place my soul can live happy and free Nola your my baby and i am your king ill see what i can do though ill be there in feb
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Scalpel wrote:How do people handle long-distance rallies like this?

Another option is to find some local folks who are trailering their scooters down and piggyback on their trailer, then fly yourself down and enjoy. It's certain that there are folks the Seatac araea who are going. You should be able to find somebody through your local club/shop/meetup group, etc. If you can't find them there, try here and our sister site, ModernVespa.com Be advised, if somebody carries your scoot, you'll owe them money, drinks and favors, but it'd be worth it. IMHO YMMV ATGATT :wink:
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

pugbuddy wrote:I started adding up the cost and it will be a $1200+ week! That's a LOT for the rally.

Does anyone know of a less expensive alternative to the official hotel? $140 a night is too much to pay (with an additional $20 per night for parking).
You need to share a room with someone, Byron. Tim will be there, probably with Q. Some of the OKC crew are going as well. So far, Susan W, Trisha, Cynthia, Anne & Tom, Rose and I are going. Tracy is trying to talk Nader into going, since he said she can't go to any rallies with me ever again. EVER. :roll:
BootScootin'FireFighter

pugbuddy wrote:I started adding up the cost and it will be a $1200+ week! That's a LOT for the rally.

there are a few hostels in town, as little as $15 a night dorm, even under $40 for privates. Only downside is the common bathroom, so bring some flip flops. If there are going to be thousands attending, I'm sure that most of the hostels downtown will be partying late as well. After all, you really only need a place to pass out and nurse a hangover. Www.hostels.com. Although cheaper, hotels near the airport are a bit of a ride from the city, not so good after a late night out in NOLA.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Probably not thousands attending. I doubt they've blocked off that many rooms!

Anyone with questions about alternative hotels, scooter rentals, etc. should check out the AV Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Amerivespa/201526976158

The organizers and other locals may be able to provide some direction.

Also, here's the link to the MV thread:
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic74896

If you're looking to find others in your area going, that's a good place to start. Just remember that it's still many months away and plans change. Every year there are a few stories of trailer arrangements falling through, etc.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

we will be going to this
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gearhead wrote:we will be going to this
Awesome. Will be good to see you guys again. What will you be riding?
Keys

Post by Keys »

Eric,
My son is getting married in New Orleans on the 25th of March and I can't afford two trips to the city. Please have them change the date of AmeriVespa to the week prior.

Thank you,
--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Keys wrote:Eric,
My son is getting married in New Orleans on the 25th of March and I can't afford two trips to the city. Please have them change the date of AmeriVespa to the week prior.

Thank you,
--Keys
That sounds like one long trip to me!

You can file a request via the VCOA here: http://www.vespaclubusa.org/
Adress it to Mike Bobadilla and don't mention my name.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

ericalm wrote:
gearhead wrote:we will be going to this
Awesome. Will be good to see you guys again. What will you be riding?
I shall be riding the BLURkus and it should be 167cc by then
maribell

Post by maribell »

I doubt I will be making it this year.

I need to save money and days off for my wedding! :D
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

you are getting married? to who? your filipino bf?
BootScootin'FireFighter

The sponsor hotel (Hilton) is booking up fast, with rates shooting through the roof. I was checking out some other hotels (New Orleans has a lot of nice hotels apparently)... and I'm finding a lot of options at or very near to the FQ for under $150 a night. The Hilton is at least $250 now. Big things to consider is proximity to the FQ (so you can walk your drunk ass home every night), parking options, and a pool. The deep south is brutally hot and humid in the summer, so an afternoon pool party and martini are mandatory.

Also to anyone along the Appalachians to the Natchez Parkway that wants to meet up and ride to NO with the wife and I, shoot me a PM.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'll hopefully be booking in the next week or so.

The Hilton had reduced group rates ($140/night) but they're not showing this on their site now. I'll inquire with the AV folks and see if they booked all the rooms at that rate already. Damn!
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

For great cajun food might try Mulat's. They could also accomodate a larger group. Makes me hungry just thinking about their meat pies!
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

If this was Florida it would have been easy: load the car and the scoot on Amtrak and ride in comfort. the cost would be worth it.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Tam Tam

San antonio going!!!!

Post by Tam Tam »

I already booked my room, and got my work vacation time booked. I love scootin', i love my Blackjack 'Sally', I love New Orleans, and the movie Easy Rider, so I HAVE to make this rally.
I got my scooter in early Nov, then found out about the rally, and freaked out. Talk about providence!!!
So, I am wondering how long I'll be wearing my armored jacket in June Orleans heat and humidity lol.
Question, anyone else from San Antonio Texas going?
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Curious about taking the Sunset Limited from LA to NO. putting the scooters in freight. not sure if that's even possible. Would be fun though.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
TVB

Post by TVB »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Curious about taking the Sunset Limited from LA to NO. putting the scooters in freight. not sure if that's even possible. Would be fun though.
As far as I know, they only offer that service on their "auto train" run, along the east coast.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

TVB wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Curious about taking the Sunset Limited from LA to NO. putting the scooters in freight. not sure if that's even possible. Would be fun though.
As far as I know, they only offer that service on their "auto train" run, along the east coast.
Too bad. I had visions of riding the scooter up a ramp onto the baggage car, and heading to my sleeper cabin (via the bar-car of course...).

Back to the drawing board.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

From ModernVespa:
Batgirl101 wrote:looks like the good rate is done but my friend sent me this info:

I made a reservation at Springhill Suites, $129/night for a suite with 2 doubles and a sofabed in the living room area.

Parking is $20 a night for a <<car>>, so, 4 scooters per space = $5/night.

Check it out:
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ ... -downtown/

It's a 10-minute walk from the Hilton Riverside. The address is 301 St. Joseph St. 100% smoke-free, free high-speed internet. They also have a complementary breakfast.
Anyone interested in going should be following the thread there too.
VCOA officers & NO area scooterists read it & post there:
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic74896
Cassadaga

Post by Cassadaga »

Just registered! Me and my friend will be heading down on the 15th and staying at a bed and breakfast (thegreeenhouseinn.com) instead of the sponsored hotel! To save a few bucks.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I'm staying in lmyers' room. Right Laura? :D
ModBud #442
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Given that I am facing a layoff from my job, it is not likely that I will be able to attend.... :(
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I just figured out it's in JUNE, not July like last year. So that means no vacation time. I'm about to cry. No wait, I think I really am crying now. How embarrassing! :cry:

O man, pugbuddy! That's just awful!!! http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pugbuddy wrote:Given that I am facing a layoff from my job, it is not likely that I will be able to attend.... :(
Sorry to hear, man. Sucks.
polianarchy wrote:I just figured out it's in JUNE, not July like last year. So that means no vacation time. I'm about to cry. No wait, I think I really am crying now. How embarrassing! :cry:
Waittaminute. Are you saying you can't come either? :cry:
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I've got to crunch the numbers and then work up the courage to ask my boss if I can take one week unpaid leave. Stupid FRAKing jobhunt!!! !!! !!! :x
ModBud #442
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

polianarchy wrote:I just figured out it's in JUNE, not July like last year. So that means no vacation time. I'm about to cry. No wait, I think I really am crying now. How embarrassing! :cry:

O man, pugbuddy! That's just awful!!! http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/
But you two are a big part of my fun time! I NEVER see pugbuddy and we live in the same town. And I never, NEVER see you :(

But it gives me incentive to save my pennies for another east coast rally :wink:
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Hey, I'm not totally ruling it out! It's just gonna be a LOTTT harder to do with 1/4th of a paycheck. :? I gotta go do some serious math. I'll let y'all know ASAFP.
ModBud #442
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

polianarchy wrote:Hey, I'm not totally ruling it out! It's just gonna be a LOTTT harder to do with 1/4th of a paycheck. :? I gotta go do some serious math. I'll let y'all know ASAFP.
You've got a spot if you need it. And if you fly, you can take off even less time off. ijs
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

lmyers wrote:You've got a spot if you need it. And if you fly, you can take off even less time off. ijs
:oops:

I'll think about it....
ModBud #442
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Does this mean you're bringing a scoot to Cocoa?
:D
www.teamscootertrash.com

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

BuddyRaton wrote:Does this mean you're bringing a scoot to Cocoa?
:D
:lol: No.
ModBud #442
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

polianarchy wrote:Hey, I'm not totally ruling it out! It's just gonna be a LOTTT harder to do with 1/4th of a paycheck. :? I gotta go do some serious math. I'll let y'all know ASAFP.
Ditto to this. I have to wait and see if I find a new job and can take (and afford) the time off. The odds are not good, unfortunately....
BootScootin'FireFighter

I'll be getting a budget truck to take the scooters back to DC, anyone want to share it for the way back up north, I'd be down. Hope you can make it Poli, otherwise we'll be seeing you in Wildwood.