Possible to make this commute?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

macgawd

Possible to make this commute?

Post by macgawd »

I haven't posted here in some time, mainly because I haven't yet been able to purchase a scoot like I had wanted to, because I have been waiting to find out where my wife and I were going to puchase a new house, and determine if it was even feasible and practical to commute to work via scooter.

Right now, the apartment in which we live is exactly 5 miles one way from where I work on surface streets. However, the new house is more than twice that distance one way, and I would have to traverse some of that distance on a divided highway where the posted speed limit is 50 mph. While I like the Buddy 125, I'm leaning towards the Yamaha Vino 125, if only for looks (I like the more classic euro-look), and wondered if it would be safe to make such a commute on a scooter?

Any advice?

Michael
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I think this is no issue at all. While I only occasionally drive at sustained speeds of 50 +, I think many others do daily. Also the Vino and Buddy are in the same price range but Buddy has famously gotten better reviews. There is someone on this site who even wrote a review in a scooter mag. about this.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I ride about 16-18 miles one way with speed limits on most of the major streets of 40-50 mph to work. It's no big deal. If I had a 50 (ack! cough! spit!) I might have second thoughts, but the B125 is in its element. I average 100 mpg. YMMV.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
rob_fuel

Post by rob_fuel »

Depends on the scooter. There are plenty that you can take on the interstate. But if you're thinking about something in the 125/150 range, I wouldn't recommend anything but the Buddy for your commute.

My commute is 13 miles each way. The majority of that is on two streets with posted 50 mph speed limits (one of them is divided, two lanes each way). The Buddy is stellar for my needs, but that's just because it's got that little extra oomph over the Vino.
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

rob_fuel wrote:DMy commute is 13 miles each way. The majority of that is on two streets with posted 50 mph speed limits (one of them is divided, two lanes each way). The Buddy is stellar for my needs, but that's just because it's got that little extra oomph over the Vino.
What he said... I don't go quite as far, but it still works great!

Jody
eyeonit

Post by eyeonit »

My commute is 10+ miles each way. There are two streets along the way where most of the time traffic is doing 45-50 even though the limit is 40 and the buddy has no problems at all. This is even going up hill.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

The Buddy 125 can handle that no problem.

You're very nearly describing my own daily commute:

8.5 miles, with a 1.5 to 2 mile chunk of divided multi-lane posted 50mph at the end.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
JPPricey

Read this review

Post by JPPricey »

I currently ride a 2005 50cc Honda Metro, which I have for sale so I can upgrade. Since I haven't quite saved for the Vespa GTS, my next choice was the Yamaha Vino (I decided if I dropped down to a 125 as opposed to the Vespa LX150, I wouldn't even be tempted to hop on the CA freeways with such a small bike!).

After reading this review, I was sold on the Buddy (I discovered the review when I realized the local Kawasaki dealership started carring Genuine Scooters. I test rode the Buddy 125 ... Unbelievable! No way would I buy a Vino now. As for your speed question, I had the Buddy up to 60 mph without any problem (and no windscreen). I hope I'm not too offensive in saying, I do agree with you ... I think I like the looks of Vino better, but performance and availability of accessories have sold me on the Buddy!

I am showing my Metro to someone today ... I hope to be a Buddy owner later this afternoon!
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

I have a Vespa LX150.

When some guy the other night was tailgating me while chatting on a cell, I wanted AS MUCH distance from his front bumper and my ass.

I hit an indicated 65mph. Probably 55mph in reality. I weigh around 200lbs and there is sufficient crosswind where and when I scoot on most days.

I've had my Vespa exactly 4 days and have put exactly 60 miles on it scooting around in a 15 mile radius (all surface streets. Illiegal in CA to take a 150cc on a freeway)

Now the Buddy 125 has a little LESS overall horsepower but most likely can hit the speed you need (mainly depending on your weight/stuff you might be carrying on the bike)

As to the Vino, well I went with Vespa. Honestly ride both Buddy and the Vino. Besides the review listed above, that alone is the deciding factor! You riding it and feeling comfortable!

FYI, if you like the classic euro style-Buddy Series Italia all the way brother!

Also bonus points to the buddy for 2 things over the Vespa:
A nice place for a coffee mug!
The hook at the base of the front of the seat for helmets and securing other items to the floor board!
and well of course...price. But I wanted the Vespa.
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
macgawd

Post by macgawd »

Thanks to those who have pointed me to the Buddy - Vino comparison review. The Buddy does have some obvious advantages over the Vino, most notably the warranty. However, I think that the speed advantage of the Buddy over the Vino is marginal at best (it is, after all, lighter by several pounds), and while the Buddy may be able to achieve speeds up to 60 mph., I know I don't have any intentions of going that fast, since I have serious doubts about stability at those speeds on 10 inch wheels. After all, speed safety over distance was my main concern for posting this thread.

Warranty aside, The performance of the Buddy and Vino seem pretty evenly matched in my opinion, and I've yet to find a customer review from anyone who was terribly dissatisfied with their purchase of the Vino 125.

Michael
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

Michael, test ride both! Seriously, in the end that will be the best deciding factor.

Even if in your mind you have made a choice, test ride both.

I was emailed directly by a Genuine Employee to get a buddy, He even contacted me as the new local dealership had just inked the deal to let me know where I could get a buddy.

In the end, the name/style/look of Vespa won out for me but I did test ride both the Vespa and Buddy. And then I test rode multiple Vespa's 150cc, 200 and 250cc to decide which I felt I could CONTROL the best, not be controlled by. The bigger bikes were too much for me as a new rider.

I as well don't really know any who dislike their Vino's. But I also haven't meet a dissatisfied Buddy or Vespa owner...yet.
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
ka3ouc

My daily commute

Post by ka3ouc »

My daily commute is about 25 miles to work one way. I make this commute several times a week. My longest commute was about 75 miles round trip, back to get a oil chage It was an enjoyable ride. I just can't stop riding. Charlie
crashtestdummy

Commute

Post by crashtestdummy »

My ride is similar at about 25 miles each way. About 7 miles of that is on a non-divided two lane rode at 55 mph.

No problems. Not getting the 100mpg by 85mpg is ok with me.
mikalius

Post by mikalius »

I ride about 30 miles one way and about 10 miles of that is 55mph and the rest is between 35 and 50mph. No problems commuting with my Buddy, love it.
paige

Post by paige »

Tbone- The Vespa LX150 is legal on the freeway in California.
lou76

Post by lou76 »

acceleration, top speed, and handling are the most important safety factors for me... 26miles round trip 5 days a week, 10K+ in the last 9 months... even if you leave the $$ out of it, the buddy out-performs the LX and the vino as far as i am concerned... the vino just can't hang, stylish or not, and the LX is heavier and just not as sprightly as the buddy...
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

paige wrote:Tbone- The Vespa LX150 is legal on the freeway in California.
According to the CHP officers and other law enforcement agents my wife spoke with at the CA capitol, the Vespa LX 150 is actually a 149cc and thusly considered a motorized bicycle which is NOT legal on the freeway.

Even if it were legal, my top end is everyone else's SLOW end so...I'll wait on that one until I kit her up to 190cc! :twisted: It's the reason I went with a 150 vs 50cc for street travel. I WANT that extra power/zip to be able to out maneuver/zoom past problems if need be.

I cannot thank ALL of those who for years have been saying to me, "Ride them. You'll know which one feels right for you". I test rode the Buddy and the Vespa. Personal choice for me, Vespa. No lack of love for the buddy though! In fact I'm recommending a Buddy to one of my co-workers who saw me ride yesterday and came to talk to me about scooting as an alternative form of getting around our town. I'm also holding out hope I'll win the pink 50cc Buddy for my wife!
jess

Post by jess »

Tbone wrote:
paige wrote:Tbone- The Vespa LX150 is legal on the freeway in California.
According to the CHP officers and other law enforcement agents my wife spoke with at the CA capitol, the Vespa LX 150 is actually a 149cc and thusly considered a motorized bicycle which is NOT legal on the freeway.
The LX150 is actually a true 150cc engine. It is absolutely and without question legal on the freeway in California. Even if it were only 149cc, it would *still* be classified as a motorcycle, albeit one that was not allowed on the freeway.

The "motorized bicycle" category does not apply to any of the scooters that we think of as, well, scooters. In California, they're *all* motorcycles, according to the law. Only mopeds (with pedals) get the motorized bicycle designation.

CHP officers have been known to get on the loudspeaker and tell GTS riders that scooters are not allowed on the freeway. It is my experience that CHP officers know far less about the legality of scooters in California than most scooter owners.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Back to the original question; "Can this scooter do this commute?" I have now done 6 over 400 mile weekends (just got home from #6). I think a short 30 mile commute would be a piece of cake.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

ALRIGHT!!! :P

We were given bad advice.

I still stand by that I won't get on the freeway since my top end is everyone else's low end!
paige

Post by paige »

I would stay off the freeway in Sac also. It must be a beautiful ride down by the river? I take my LX150 on the highway only when I have to. The Bay Bridge, pieces of 280 where Skyline doesn't go through, and 24 by the Caldecott Tunnel. Oh, and one exit on 101 in Marin to go to Point Reyes. And the Golden Gate Bridge.
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

Sadly I do not know yet paige!

It's my daily commuter vehicle and being as busy as I am, I haven't put more than 20 total miles of recreational riding on the scoot yet!

SOON!