Help a Girl Out!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CupcakeLawyer

Help a Girl Out!

Post by CupcakeLawyer »

First time poster, short time lurker.

I purchased my lovely little Buddy 50 in October, second hand from a guy who bought it 2 years ago and put on a total of 112 miles! I had my local scooter shop give it an inspection, clean out the carburetor and install a new battery (since the old one was beyond dead).

I am still riding (since October I've put on over 200 miles) and plan to continue to brave the Philadelphia cold - of course skipping days that are icy and/or rainy.

My first question is this. . . should I run the bike with some Sea Foam? The bike was sitting with gas in it for 2 years and even though the shop cleaned out the carburetor (doesn't mean they cleaned out the injectors), shouldn't I still use the Sea Foam to clean things out - even though I will continue to ride regularly? Couldn't hurt right?

My next question would be - can anyone tell me where I can go BUY some Sea Foam? I have been to about three or four different automotive places in the city and every single one of them looks at me like I have twelve heads. You would think that for as many scooters as Philly has there would be someone around here that's heard of this stuff!! Anyone know a place in Philadelphia that carries it?

I appreciate the feedback. Like I said, I have been lurking and have gained a ton of knowledge about my new bike from all of you! Thank you!!

PS - I posted a picture of my little guy. I'm a proud Momma!
Attachments
Batman.jpg
Batman.jpg (141.54 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

driving with seafoam? I'm not the expert, but I don't think so.
I thougth that the seafoam stuff had to be in the tank instead of the gas- not both at the same time.. other wise they cancel each other out?... course I very well could be wrong. :oops:

now, where to get it? - if no other choice, order it?
http://www.scooterworks.com/Sea-Foam-Fu ... 0C433.aspx

btw:
:shock: [Jealous]Coolest. Gararage. Ever.[/jealous] :clap:
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

The old gas should be almost gone by now based on your miles driven. Top off the tank then add some seafoam. 1-2ozs is about the norm for the buddy.

I found my seafoam at walmart
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Some people use Seafoam as a regular gas additive (and it probably wouldn't hurt anything) but I don't think that is really necessary. Wouldn't hurt to run through one tank with Seafoam this fall and another in the spring. I get Seafoam at the local NAPA store. I use Stabil in the tanks of my vehicles when I expect them to be sitting for a while. Supposedly keeps the fuel from breaking down and leaving deposits in the carb. I use Seafoam as a fuel system cleaner and Stabil as a gas preservative. Everyone has their own favorite way of doing this stuff.
Last edited by Dooglas on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I have no personal experience with Seafoam, but many people report good experience with it. I have used Stabil for years in my lawn mower and snow blower. They start up first pull of the season after sitting in storage for the off season. I also routinely use it in any gas that I have stored in the garage. I'm now also using it in my scoot. Stabil, like Seafoam, also works as a carb and fuel injector cleaner. Works well for me.

Nice Bat cave by the way! I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm in Philly,
CupcakeLawyer

Post by CupcakeLawyer »

Thanks everyone! I knew I could find the info I was looking for on here. I've been checking out the other posts on Sea Foam, and it sounds like it could only help, not hurt.

Probably won't use it regularly like some people do. Just once every season like you suggested Dooglas!

Thanks for the props, but have to give credit where credit is due. Totally not my Batcave. . . wish it was though. This garage is right off South Street down the alley next to Philadelphia's Magic Gardens on 10th and South. Just liked the way my scoot looked in front of it! :P
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Lovelandstella wrote:driving with seafoam? I'm not the expert, but I don't think so.
I thougth that the seafoam stuff had to be in the tank instead of the gas- not both at the same time.. other wise they cancel each other out?... course I very well could be wrong.
Ummm, speak up guys, but I think Seafoam works the same as Stabil...you just add an ounce or so per gallon of gas...?
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Amazon has seafoam

yeah, you're welcome :)
CupcakeLawyer

Post by CupcakeLawyer »

I definitely considered ordering off the internet. Was hoping to avoid the shipping charges.

Lied.

Just looking for another reason to ride!
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

michelle_7728 wrote:
Lovelandstella wrote:driving with seafoam? I'm not the expert, but I don't think so.
I thougth that the seafoam stuff had to be in the tank instead of the gas- not both at the same time.. other wise they cancel each other out?... course I very well could be wrong.
Ummm, speak up guys, but I think Seafoam works the same as Stabil...you just add an ounce or so per gallon of gas...?
no sea foam is nothing like stabil

stabil is only good for stabilizing non ethonal fuel unless you get the newly released ethonal version (by the way when i saw it in the store it cost more then the non ethonal stuff)

seafaom is multi purpose it will stabilze fuel remove water and help clean your fuel system

on a 2 stroke you only want to add it to your fuel not your oil

so yes it is advisable to use it if you ride or try to ride year round in a cold climate it will help you out it will reduce the chances of a frozen fuel line or even worse a carb stuck at wot due to iceing

is it 100% needed year round no but its cheap insureance and i have a zuma with over 10000 miles on it and no fuel related issues and my stella has over 4000 miles and none if the issues have been fuel related

if i was in philly i would run it at least thru the winter that way if you end up having to let it sit for a week or 2 or even longer due to bad weather you are safe in the fuel dept
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

I like to add an ounce of Seafoam when I fill my tank. It helps keep the carb clean. I buy my Seafoam at Walmart in the automotive section.
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

welcome to MB... I don't know much about the whole sea-foam vs stabil debate, but I ride year round in DC, so I'm starting off my second winter season. I actually had to kickstart it this evening for the first time this winter, since it was so cold and I didn't ride it for 2 and 1/2 days. I do ride year round, but I reduce my riding in the winter and either go out less or take Metro when it's below 30. It's been excessively cold the past few days and very windy. I look like the Michelin man when I'm all bundled up. Good luck with your new scooter! Have you been to Philadelphia Scooters? That's where I'd go to for service and anything else to get outfitted with.

Tomorrow's looking like another bone-chilling day, so I think I'll take a trip to the outer suburbs and spend the day with my brother and two nephews. It's about a 45min trek each way. :oops:
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Dooglas wrote:Some people use Seafoam as a regular gas additive (and it probably wouldn't hurt anything) but I don't think that is really necessary. Wouldn't hurt to run through one tank with Seafoam this fall and another in the spring. I get Seafoam at the local NAPA store. I use Stabil in the tanks of my vehicles when I expect them to be sitting for a while. Supposedly keeps the fuel from breaking down and leaving deposits in the carb. I use Seafoam as a fuel system cleaner and Stabil as a gas preservative. Everyone has their own favorite way of doing this stuff.
^This is how I thought it worked. Stabil keeps fuel.......well stabil. Seafoam can help with the aftermath of using old/aged gas without stabil. They can be used at different times for different purposes.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
TVB

Post by TVB »

jmkjr72 wrote:no sea foam is nothing like stabil
I think "Seafoam works the same as Stabil" was an unclear choice of words, referring to the fact that you can apply them the same way: by adding a measured amount to a full tank of gas then riding it. They serve different purposes: cleaning out the system vs. preventing it from getting gummed up.

P.S. Bruce really needs to have Lucius rig up a more discreet entrance to the garage.
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

Just a word of warning, I've had a few pretty smart mechanics indicate that sea foam can damage crank seals in any quantity. Do be careful about only putting in a teensy weeny bit if you are actually adding it to every tank (a little unnecessary IMO, every few tanks should be plenty).
Last edited by trackpete on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
Vic

Post by Vic »

You might check out POC Phil's info about their tests with Seafoam and Stabil and their (extensive) experience. I believe you can find this info in the FAQs (which are loaded with TONS of great MB wisdom).

I find Seafoam at Napa and Walmart.

-v
MGM1

Post by MGM1 »

If you're still looking for Seafoam in Philly, it's available at PepBoys
fobbish

Post by fobbish »

You really know how to bring attention to a thread on a male dominant forum. lol.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Congrats on the scoot!

One or two tankfuls are usually enough to let the SeaFoam do as much cleaning work as it can do.

If the carb has already been removed and cleaned, though, you're pretty much just using the SeaFoam for maintenance. The benefits of doing this are a little less certain IMHO. Some people have said it helps their engines. I tend to think that if you're riding regularly, you're not going to have the kinds of buildup that SeaFoam prevents or cures.

This is the first I've heard anyone say it's bad for your seals though.

Anyone else heard this from a mech?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

jmkjr72 wrote:
michelle_7728 wrote:
no sea foam is nothing like stabil

stabil is only good for stabilizing non ethonal fuel unless you get the newly released ethonal version (by the way when i saw it in the store it cost more then the non ethonal stuff)

seafaom is multi purpose it will stabilze fuel remove water and help clean your fuel system

on a 2 stroke you only want to add it to your fuel not your oil

so yes it is advisable to use it if you ride or try to ride year round in a cold climate it will help you out it will reduce the chances of a frozen fuel line or even worse a carb stuck at wot due to iceing

is it 100% needed year round no but its cheap insureance and i have a zuma with over 10000 miles on it and no fuel related issues and my stella has over 4000 miles and none if the issues have been fuel related

if i was in philly i would run it at least thru the winter that way if you end up having to let it sit for a week or 2 or even longer due to bad weather you are safe in the fuel dept
Okay...I re-read my comment and see I did not really clarify what I meant. Do you drain the fuel completely out and run just Seafoam? I was thinking that like Stabil, you just put a couple ounces per gallon...? That's what my original comment was about, as the previous poster said:
I thougth that the seafoam stuff had to be in the tank instead of the gas- not both at the same time.. other wise they cancel each other out?...
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

No need to drain, just add it in. It's a fuel additive, not a fuel replacement. There's always the old fallback: read the directions. :p
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

If your scooter is running properly you do not need to continually use Seafoam. As a matter-of-fact, the only time I would recommend it's use would be as a winterizer (fuel stabilizer) when the scooter is under the cover in the corner of the garage.
The only benefit from using Seafoam is it's ability to remove varnishes that have attached themselves to critical parts of the carburetor (needles, seats, etc.). This varnish like residue is a result of heavier hydrocarbons separating from lighter hydrocarbons through evaporation. If the scooter is used, this process is abated because fuel is continually being run through the system.
Seafoam is available at your local O'Reilly auto parts store as well as Autozone.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Lostmycage wrote:No need to drain, just add it in. It's a fuel additive, not a fuel replacement. There's always the old fallback: read the directions. :p
RTFM? Ha!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Autozone carries SeaFoam but I don't know if you have them where you live.

I don't have a garage, just a covered patio, so my machines are exposed to year round temperature and humidity fluctuations. I ride year-round, so I throw a splash of SeaFoam in the tanks (Stella and Buddy) just about every month.
Clearly.
gluv4u2

Post by gluv4u2 »

Autozone or Pepboys has them, but no clue out East. I've not used seafoam on my budE yet, but have used it many times over the years on my mustang and yaris.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

There is nothing wrong with running with Seafoam mixed in the recommended ratios.
It will clear many problems and has saved me from carb teardown several times.
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

I am just outside of Philly and I can say that the local Autozones do carry it.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I run it in every tank during the winter but that's cause I ride sporadically here in Michigan. Don't want the fuel to get all nasty if I don't ride for awhile. During the warmer months I only run it every 2nd or 3rd tankful just to keep things clean.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
CupcakeLawyer

Post by CupcakeLawyer »

Update: Ordered Seafoam from Scooter Works. I was tired of striking out riding around to PepBoys and AutoZone in the city. I ordered some new mirrors and a Gen-u-bin (which I'm waiting to install until the spring) so shipping was free plus they sent me two cans of Seafoam when I only ordered one!

Score!

Gave my Scoot a little Seafoam and everything is running really well considering I let it sit for a week because of how the weather has been lately. Rode for the first time today since it's 55 out - super nice day to be out riding! Just had to scoot around the main roads to avoid accidentally colliding with a Mummer.

Happy New Year everyone!