finished.... nm :( need help

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

wifiducky

finished.... nm :( need help

Post by wifiducky »

Thank you to everyone who helped me in here i finished my first jetting @_@ the gas line that i know snapped but had alittle room to use still
so ill take rose to get a carb check up to see how i did and to fix anything i pooped on XD

anyways thank you all again
Last edited by wifiducky on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I always feel a little embarrassed when one of my "repair" jobs ends up at the dealer. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

I'm always pleased when one of my "repair" jobs doesn't end up at a dealer... buying a new vehicle. :)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

What really I want to know is, does Ken Ishii-san work on his on his own bikes, or not?
Last edited by jrsjr on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wifiducky

Post by wifiducky »

well sadly i may end up at a dealer or a shop i tryed both the 95 and the 100 and both still show a lean plug :( idk what to do next HELP all i did was put a prima pipe on
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

wifiducky wrote:well sadly i may end up at a dealer or a shop i tryed both the 95 and the 100 and both still show a lean plug :( idk what to do next HELP all i did was put a prima pipe on
Adjust the air/fuel mix?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

What throttle positions or speeds are you testing at? As I understand it, the main jet is more half- to full-throttle fuel mix. Lower speeds will still have you on the idle jet. That's where the air/fuel mix screw comes into play.
Here's the link that was really helpful for me.
http://www.battlescooter.com/1.html
(Credit to Kaos from his voodoo-buddy site. I didn't find it myself.)
wifiducky

Post by wifiducky »

ja maybe i need to pick at that damn thing sorry everyone im new to putting my hands inside ;) thats what she said but really im new to playing with anything that may be a moving part but if it will save me some green for my agent orange upgrade then im happy
wifiducky

Post by wifiducky »

well so far no luck :( i messed with a 95 and a 100 jet and the gas/air screw with no luck still lean as a mf
easy

Post by easy »

In your 1st post you said you snapped the fuel line but you had enough slack to make it work. Maybe pulling the fuel line tighter caused a kink in the line and not getting enough flow.
wifiducky

Post by wifiducky »

easy wrote:In your 1st post you said you snapped the fuel line but you had enough slack to make it work. Maybe pulling the fuel line tighter caused a kink in the line and not getting enough flow.
that turned out to be a atmospheric air hose
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

am beginning to appreciate my mechanic more and more especially since he is within less then 1/2 hr ride from me
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Keep at it and keep track of what you are doing.
How are you determining thatyou are lean?

Keep at it and keep notes of what you are doing.
Example: (not a recommendation for setup!)

100jet
Backed off mixture screw 1 full turn
Plug chop white...lean.

Bolting stuff on is the easy part, getting it all dialed in is the tricky...and to me...the fun part.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
wifiducky

Post by wifiducky »

BuddyRaton wrote:Keep at it and keep track of what you are doing.
How are you determining thatyou are lean?

Keep at it and keep notes of what you are doing.
Example: (not a recommendation for setup!)

100jet
Backed off mixture screw 1 full turn
Plug chop white...lean.

Bolting stuff on is the easy part, getting it all dialed in is the tricky...and to me...the fun part.
oh i lost track a long time ago XD (week ago add time) i put my #100 in and turned the mixture screw over and over each time taking the buddy out for a 5-10 min ride each time then checked the plug every time the plug turned out white

it makes no sense to me now idk if i may be turning the mixture screw the wrong way? i was told if its next to the engine end it was fuel so i turned it CClock maybe i need to try clockwise uug

p.s. sorry if i make no sense o.o it is 3am after all XD
wifiducky

Post by wifiducky »

i was also thinking that seeing im getting the 161 kit and the big header put on i should just wait and pay for the carb work too cause I REALLY REALLY MISSS!!!!!! my rose
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

TVB wrote:I'm always pleased when one of my "repair" jobs doesn't end up at a dealer... )
+1
As someone (female) with zero mechanical experience and no lessons from anyone with experience (except here, of course), one thing I love about my Buddy is the sense of accomplishment of doing something totally foreign and getting it (mostly) right. ... Even if sometimes it takes me 3 hours to do a 30-minute job. :oops:
Scooter Commuter
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

sunshinen wrote:
TVB wrote:I'm always pleased when one of my "repair" jobs doesn't end up at a dealer... )
+1
As someone (female) with zero mechanical experience and no lessons from anyone with experience (except here, of course), one thing I love about my Buddy is the sense of accomplishment of doing something totally foreign and getting it (mostly) right. ... Even if sometimes it takes me 3 hours to do a 30-minute job. :oops:
It took me 3 attempts to complete my first oil change, mostly because I didn't have the right tools. (I still need more/better tools!) My sense of accomplishment after that one: HUGE.

Now, when I have my transmission splayed across my driveway and am up to my elbows in grease and muck, I am happy as a clam!
wifiducky

Post by wifiducky »

my 3 hour job is now a three week job XD i broke so im just going to save up and have it done at scootersmith in a week or two
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:It took me 3 attempts to complete my first oil change, mostly because I didn't have the right tools. (I still need more/better tools!) My sense of accomplishment after that one: HUGE.
I have no doubt that I could not only change my oil (if I needed to), and – with the proper tools – completely disassemble and reassemble the whole scooter. For example, I'm fearlessly competent at diagnosing and repairing computers. (I've even successfully upgraded the RAM on a 1st-gen Rev.A iMac.) But in a world full of CSS3, CS5, Obj-C, USB3, eSATAp, 802.11x, HTML5, PCIe, PHP5, IPv6, WebM, and other things competing for finite synaptic pattern space inside my head, and finite time in my days (and remaining years), I choose to let others fully experience internal combustion engine on my behalf.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Hi Ducky, let me understand. You put on a Prima pipe and now you're trying to sort out the jetting? If that's all you did, you're in the proper range. You're overly lean mixture may be caused by something else. Can you post a decent picture of the plug?
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Sounds like the exhaust isn't secured tight enough to form a seal at the crush gasket.

Take it off and look at the gasket. If there's a large black smudge, buy a new gasket and reinstall making sure to securely tighten the nuts (with the lock washers). If there's a gap, you'll run lean (and like crap).
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Lostmycage wrote:Sounds like the exhaust isn't secured tight enough to form a seal at the crush gasket.

Take it off and look at the gasket. If there's a large black smudge, buy a new gasket and reinstall making sure to securely tighten the nuts (with the lock washers). If there's a gap, you'll run lean (and like crap).
Usually if that's the case you'll also get some popping (backfiring) from the exhaust.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

djelliott wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:Sounds like the exhaust isn't secured tight enough to form a seal at the crush gasket.

Usually if that's the case you'll also get some popping (backfiring) from the exhaust.
Yep. I'm betting that symptom wasn't mentioned. :)
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Lostmycage wrote:
djelliott wrote:

Dahaha, I was thinking that maybe it wasn't either. :wink:
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
wifiducky

Post by wifiducky »

djelliott wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:
djelliott wrote: Usually if that's the case you'll also get some popping (backfiring) from the exhaust.
Dahaha, I was thinking that maybe it wasn't either. :wink:
to make it easy im going to reply on this one XD i dont really have a good photo at the moment and now i need to buy a new plug cause it turned 100% black :/ i dont get it i tryed over and over with a lean turn out and bam its black so im saving to take it to my local dealer have it done right :/ i hate to pay even more but i cant stand having her off the road

to much work for my first try i haven't even changed the oil yet XD plus im getting the big bore and Decompression Tube Assembly put on so why do it myself when it will need to be changed again i

i do know my carb now i just dont want to burn out my engine
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

With a 95 or 100 main I can't think of any way you would be running too lean or blow out your motor. No offense but I just don't think you're going about reading your plug right. I think since you are getting all of that other work done, letting the shop dial it in would be best. I don't want to discourage you but carb tuning is the definition of pure voodoo. You best slay a chicken and say a pray before you start. I've been working on carburated motors for some time and know guys that have been doing it for as long as I've been alive (38 years incase you might want to know) and they/we still come across certain carbs and pipe/intake setups the just don't want to play nice. Good luck and keep that investigative spirit. It's never a bad thing to learn more about what makes your stuff tick.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
wifiducky

Post by wifiducky »

djelliott wrote:With a 95 or 100 main I can't think of any way you would be running too lean or blow out your motor. No offense but I just don't think you're going about reading your plug right. I think since you are getting all of that other work done, letting the shop dial it in would be best. I don't want to discourage you but carb tuning is the definition of pure voodoo. You best slay a chicken and say a pray before you start. I've been working on carburated motors for some time and know guys that have been doing it for as long as I've been alive (38 years incase you might want to know) and they/we still come across certain carbs and pipe/intake setups the just don't want to play nice. Good luck and keep that investigative spirit. It's never a bad thing to learn more about what makes your stuff tick.
non taken though i cant say i was reading it right or wrong all im going by is the internet on how it needs to look and it was black around the thread at the top and the little Center electrode was white as snow but i as well think its a good idea to take it to someone who knows best

and the voodoo is what im looking to end up with so any pain for it is worth it in my mind