tire valve stem questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Perkussion

tire valve stem questions

Post by Perkussion »

I want to replace the tire valve stems on my wife's 2008 International 150.
Does anyone know what size the valve stem opening is?

Also would it be the same size opening for the Buddy 125?

Thanks in advance.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Standard motorcycle stems. I got one at a Honda shop. Same as the Goldwing.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I'm getting these when I replace my tires next...
http://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Aluminu ... P7344.aspx
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

KABarash wrote:I'm getting these when I replace my tires next...
I've heard others here complain about the 90 degree valve stems; too hard to get the air nozzle on them.

You might want to consider something with a more obtuse angle like these.

But I've only replaced one and didn't use the 90 degree stems so maybe they are OK.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Haven't the 90° or non-OEM/standard stems been linked to several tire failures on Buddys?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

ericalm wrote:Haven't the 90° or non-OEM/standard stems been linked to several tire failures on Buddys?
Not just Buddies.....

From what I've gleaned from some other forums, the primary problem with a lot of these stems, whether OEM or aftermarket, is that they are mainland-source and some batches were shoddily-produced. Problems ranged from improper metal-rubber adhesion to premature cracking and subsequent failure of the rubber portions of the valve.

There was (I believe) a NHTSA advisory issued about this a while back. If I recall correctly, the defective batch/manufacturer marks were listed. Unfortunately, in many circumstances you actually need to see the "inside the tire" portion of the valve to determine whether or not it is one of the defective ones. Once you've gone to all that trouble, you might as well replace them.

Personally, I'd go with either a "shorty all-rubber stem, or, as KaBarash indicated, a two-piece angled bolt-on. You've gotta be careful with the bolt-ons, however, since the area immediately around the rim hole needs to be of a certain size/geometry to insure a proper fit/seal. For example:

http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info ... cts_id=142
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

N2Tattoos had 3 different consecutive sets of stems fail on the rear wheel. Never truly identified the problem as different stems were used on 2 occasions.

I'd say something sturdy that doesn't bend too much and is easy to get to nozzle on so you aren't jerking the stem around when inflating.

I think the shop said something about how they were installed. Whether it was pulling through vs popping them in - I don't recall which was the right or wrong way. I internalized it as "the way we've always done it doesn't work with these particular stems" Since the 3rd stem fail, N2Tattoos hasn't had any. He got a flat but that was riding 2 up for too long without ever checking the tire pressure :D
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

but the question is why do you want to change them? I get news ones with every new tire. It's not recommended they be reused.

when it comes to tires and stems, I pay whatever it costs as that is one fail that makes it really hard to keep the rubber side down.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Back in Sept 09 I wasn’t very happy with the OEM stems and got the Honda Gold Wing stems; the Honda stems still look new today.
I tried the o-ringed stems and none I tried would fit the Buddy rim because of the reinforcement around the stem hole, there wasn’t enough thread on the stem to cinch down on the o-ring properly

Buddy left, Honda right
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The solutions are tire gauges and pumps with good hoses and locking heads. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

jijifer wrote:but the question is why do you want to change them?
Because the rear stem let go while I was riding WOT.

I am very careful when I check and fill the tires. I always pushed against
the back side of the valve stem when checking or filling so I wasn't ever bending the stem too far either way.
The back tire still has a few thousand miles of tread left on it but I don't really trust the stems anymore.
I want to replace them both on the 125 and the 150.

I saw the valve stems on the kurveygirl site. That is why I asked in the OP.
Again I ask what is the size of the opening?
Does anyone know? .453"? .327"?
Thanks
rajron

Post by rajron »

standard size - 0.453

edit: at least I think thats the size, just go to a motorcycle shop most bikes use the same size stem
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

What a coincidence, I just had my second stem failure on my BlackJack on Sunday and had it replaced yesterday. The failure was on the front tire and the first stem broke on the rear tire in the middle of the seven mile bridge in Key West. I wasn't too happy about that so I am as well looking for some reliable stems and I am planning to replace them with every tire change. I can't believe that Genuine hasn't found a fix for that. Has anyone called them and informed them of the problem they have???
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Tocsik wrote:
KABarash wrote:I'm getting these when I replace my tires next...
I've heard others here complain about the 90 degree valve stems; too hard to get the air nozzle on them.

You might want to consider something with a more obtuse angle like these.

But I've only replaced one and didn't use the 90 degree stems so maybe they are OK.
Yeah, sometimes it is a PITA to get the tire chuck on the stem, I know several gas stations that have setups that work well for me plus my neighbor's set up.....
I figured since the Bud had 90* stems from the factory.
I worry about the rubber ones that's why I thought I'd go to aluminum ones.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba