Kevlar Pants

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rob

Kevlar Pants

Post by Rob »

Admittedly, I'd never tried nor had any desire to wear riding pants, deciding to take my chances with jeans, etc. Then for Christmas, I received a pair of AGV Sport Assault Kevlar Cargo Pants.

With the weather finally warming up (60 deg today), I went out for a ride this afternoon and gave these a shot. To my surprise, they were actually comfortable. They also have armor in the right places ... hips, knees, shins. I'm not sure about the comfort level in hot weather ... only time will tell.

Anyway, if you're considering riding pants, you might want to check these out.

Rob
Last edited by Rob on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I am considering some after going down last weekend. Aside from the road rash, I ruined a good pair of jeans! Don't know if I'd wear riding pants every day but I probably would for the big and more difficult rides.

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll check 'em out!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I love wearing armored pants. Feels great riding knowing I'm protected. The only issue I have is that often I am riding somewhere that walking around in armored pants is not apropos - like a client meeting.

I've got two pair. One are Tourmaster overpants with a removable liner that zip to my Tourmaster winter jacket. Just like a one piece when they are attached. These I can only wear when it is cold out. Definitely not in summer.

The other pair are kevlar jeans ( www.sartso.com ). They look and feel like regular jeans... except they are kevlar and armored. (mine are more of a regular fit than the ones in the photo) The knee pads are not very noticeable but I'd feel a bit weird walking around non-riders wearing them.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Motorcyclegear.com had some Cortech Kevlar-reinforced cargo-style pants on sale last month. They are pretty heavy duty for not having armor in them, and the legs zip off for "walking around when you get there" duty. I snapped up a pair and two weeks later they got some more and reduced the price. I sent an email and they sent me a gift certificate for the reduced amount. That is excellent customer service. Nice pants, too.

I have another pair of riding pants that have built-in knee/shin armor and hip pads. Sadly they are a sort of poo-brown color, so they don't get worn a lot when I'll be walking around a lot at the destination. They feel great when I'm on the scoot though.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Ultimately, like rippinyarn, I think I'll need 2 pairs: one kevlar or kevlar reinforced, another with armor. Overpants may be a possibility but the problem with those is that they probably get pretty warm.

It feels stupid saying this but every time I crash (only twice now!), I get a little less MOTGATT and a little more ATGATT. Of course I've always known that the more protection I wear, the less it'll hurt. But like most riders, I weigh benefits, make compromises, bargain with myself, etc. Logically it makes no sense, but we're humans not Vulcans and our minds are a little messy. I don't know that I'll ever be 100% ATGATT 100% of the time (I guess the "ATT" makes that redundant, but whatever). But for longer, high speed rides and rides with challenging terrain, convenience isn't as much a factor as trips to the store or the nearest redbox.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Looks like a smart investment for my 1200 mile voyage to the Big Easy
Rob

Post by Rob »

ericalm wrote:I am considering some after going down last weekend. Aside from the road rash, I ruined a good pair of jeans!
Yeah, the pics of your knee (and boots) offered me a little motivation to wear these pants on my first ride of the year. I need those periodic visuals to remind me of what can happen. Otherwise these pants likely would have remained tucked away in the closet for awhile.

One of the other things I liked about the cargo pants was the extra pocket space. Just like my garage, give me a little space and I'll find something to put in there (I hope that line doesn't make the double entendre topic).

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I really want the motoport kevlar mesh pants so I can wear shorts under them during the summer. I hate wearing jeans during the summer, but I will not ride without long pants on period. Having a set of kevlar mesh over pants to wear would be awesome. Unfortunaetly they cost something like $600.00 with the rain liners so it will be awhile before I have that sort of spare cash (my bank account is still recovering from the shock of buying thier kevlar mesh jacket :) ) Maybe I should look into something a bit less spendy while I save up for the motoport pants. At least that way I wouldn't be wearing jeans all day again this summer.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I generally wear my riding pant when it's cold. Very rare that I wear them in warm or hot weather.

For summer riding, I would love to get a good set of knee and elbow pads and wear those as I ride. Then I could pull them off when I arrive at my destination. I'm thinking that the knee pads would strap or slide over my jeans, and the elbow pad slip onto my arms. Obviously I care more about the safety than how I would look.
sotied

Post by sotied »

Just bought two pairs. One in tan, one in black. What sold me was the zip-offness of them. Will toss sandals in the belly or topcase and then wear these pants all summer. Zip them off at the beach or wherever I end up and put on the sandals.

I have been doing jeans as the gear on my legs, but these seem wearable and OK for the type of consulting I do - freelance copy and social media training. So I can probably get away with whatever collared shirt I have on under my armored jacket and then these pants.

AS LONG as the office I'm going to has A/C.

Also, just bought a pair of Docs as my Hi-Tek boots (new in winter 2007 developed a hole in the toe due to riding and other use).

Thanks!
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ericalm wrote:Ultimately, like rippinyarn, I think I'll need 2 pairs: one kevlar or kevlar reinforced, another with armor. Overpants may be a possibility but the problem with those is that they probably get pretty warm.
I have a pair of Fieldsheer silver mesh armored pants. I usually wear shorts under them. The long leg zippers make them uber easy to get on and off. A pair of flip flops in the pet carrier and I'm all set for the destination.

The only problem is the self appointed safety police that see me at the meet up and knew I rode there. I had one that actually followed me back to my scooter giving me "the lecture" until he saw my boots next to my scooter and me pulling on armored pants, (and jacket, helmet,gloves etc)...all I said to him was "how are those Chucks when you go down?" :mrgreen:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
sotied

Post by sotied »

I've worn my new pants once so far (bought the tan and the black zip-off kevlars) and they were heavy, but cooler than I'd think. It was about 75 hour and I wasn't sweating at all.

Whoever said they run big was right.

The pants feel clunky and big, but the folks at Motorcycle Gear helped me out by doing a search on safely shrinking the pants. I'll do that sometime this week. I need to snug them up just a little bit, but not so much that they drop to the next size down.

Anyone do this yet? It requires washing in hot for five minutes or so and then tossing into a hot dryer for a bit. Not sure if this will hurt the kevlar - just be sure not to turn them inside out.

Thanks,
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

The Kevlar should be removed before washing and drying.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I've thought about the kevlar reinforced cargos and jeans since I'm just used to wearing long pants all the time due to my job (stagehand). I'm also thinking strong about the icon field armor vest for summer riding. I know it doesn't give much protection to arms while riding, but after an on-the-job injury during college to my back heavy back protection is a must to all gear.

That and I'm guilty of wearing a 3/4 helmet in the summer because of my funky shaped head causing my chin to drag against most full faced helmets :oops: But, otherwise as much gear as you can humanly shove on is a good thing.