Buddy170: FIRST PICS!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rajron wrote:Maybe in person the green will be nice, but, I’m not so sure about the color in the pictures – I thought it was going to be British Racing green.
It's very hard to tell, especially with differences in cameras and how computer monitors are calibrated. I recommend adjusting your color settings until it looks like British racing green then hoping for the best. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Witch

Post by Witch »

superseagulls wrote:A fuel injection will allow the scooter to be running as efficiently as possible at any elevation and at any speed...?
That's one of the advantages of fuel injection, which is why I got a fuel-injected scoot myself. I live at the edge of the Rockies, and I wanted to make sure I could go up into the mountains and not have to stop and tinker with the engine to compensate for the thinner air. There have been groups that ride up Pike's Peak (over 14,000 feet), and only the fuel-injected scoots actually make it. The carbed ones have to be parked halfway up if they want to continue as a group.

When I had my carbed, kitted Scarabeo 50, it died immediately when I let go of the throttle crossing the Continental Divide. Luckily, it did start up after kicking it a few times, but that's probably because I hadn't stopped since I'd started climbing the mountain. With my Vespa 250, the bike does better with the altitude than I do. It doesn't even seem to notice. Fuel injection is pretty awesome. I'll be much more likely to buy a Buddy here in the future if it has FI.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

rajron wrote:Maybe in person the green will be nice, but, I’m not so sure about the color in the pictures – I thought it was going to be British Racing green.
From the pics I've seen of "British Racing Green", it can be a variety of shades. I think the scoot looks pretty close, although a bit "bright". It could just be the pic, as Eric suggests.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
rajron

Post by rajron »

Yea I know monitors, cameras and such put off different colors, and there are several versions of British Racing Green, but, when I think of “British Racing Green” I think Lotus!, and never forgetting the great Vanwall in its glorious Green.

pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Definitely looks different in those pics, I see! Still awesome though! The white stripe sets it off nicely! :D
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

definietly a huge fan of the green. If I had even an once less self control I'd be all over that :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Interesting how Genuine site does not show anything of the 170 and still has the internationals and Black Jack. :roll:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

bgwss wrote:Interesting how Genuine site does not show anything of the 170 and still has the internationals and Black Jack. :roll:
The 170 has been solicited to dealers but not really announced to customers. No idea when it's landing on dealer floors (Stella 4Ts will probably be available first). I think they're understandably cautious about a public unveiling for a scooter not available for sale yet. Meanwhile, plenty of BlackJacks still available.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

Rolling out and announcing a new product is always a tightrope walk, because as soon as you announce the "new", people stop buying the "old". There have been entire companies that collapsed because they announced upcoming products that made all their current products look bad in comparison, but weren't ready for manufacture yet, so their sales tanked as everyone waited to buy. (Which is part of the reason no one at a certain consumer electronics company will admit on the record that they are going to announce a new version of their popular tablet computer tomorrow. :) )
Last edited by TVB on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
easy

Post by easy »

maybe scooter sales will catch fire again this spring and all the back stock will be sold and make way for this and hopefully someday the cruiser/tourer scooter
what did you trade the day for?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Osborne!

Post by jrsjr »

TVB wrote:There have been entire companies that collapsed because they announced upcoming products that made all their current products look bad in comparison, but weren't ready for manufacture yet, so their sales tanked as everyone waited to buy.
One word - Osborne!

P.S. I bought a Kaypro. :wink:
Attachments
Osborne1.jpg
Osborne1.jpg (19.6 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
vote4seth

Post by vote4seth »

does anyone know when these are going to be distributed? are they in the US?
PeteH

Re: Osborne!

Post by PeteH »

jrsjr wrote:
TVB wrote:There have been entire companies that collapsed because they announced upcoming products that made all their current products look bad in comparison, but weren't ready for manufacture yet, so their sales tanked as everyone waited to buy.
One word - Osborne!

P.S. I bought a Kaypro. :wink:
Been there, owned one! Just sold my OZ-1 a few years ago. What a great little 'puter, though.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

vote4seth wrote:does anyone know when these are going to be distributed? are they in the US?
It hasn't been announced yet.
ksalen

Post by ksalen »

ericalm wrote:
superseagulls wrote:I have a question / observation.....

There is no guarantee that the increased displacement will add any performance increases over the 150 model. ...
Possible, but I've yet to hear of a model that's lost performance due to conversion to FI.

We could spend all day speculating and making various assumptions but it's all kind of moot until official specs are released and we hear from those who've had the chance to ride them.
I agree, we have to wait. But I strongly submit that fuel injection is worth the expense.

In 1986 I bought a Mercury Capri "5.0" (302). In 1985, the carbureted 302 had been rated at 225 HP. But in my injected 1986, the HP was reduced with the introduction of FI, to 200 HP. However, the torque rating went up (285 to 300 lb-ft) with the FI, MPG went up, and I think performance went up. It was a darn fast car at the time, and I once got 29+ MPG running from DC to Ohio and back.

In 1999, I bought my first new boat, a 21-foot Regal with a Chevy 5.0 liter engine. The engine was offered in carb and FI versions. The FI bumped the HP from 220 to 240 HP. In the same year, the 4.3 liter V6 was offered with carb or FI; the difference was 195 HP (carb) versus 225 HP (FI).

The point is, I believe that fuel injection is worth it. It usually provides at least a small bump in power, it can self adjust for various conditions, smooths out the running, and adapts well to mods, within reason. In this regard, I hope that the FI on the 170 can adapt to a more open exhaust pipe without any other changes.

I have about 6000 miles on my daily driver 2008 Buddy Italia 150, but I will be looking at the 170s as soon as they arrive here in VA.

Ken
Last edited by ksalen on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ericalm wrote:
vote4seth wrote:does anyone know when these are going to be distributed? are they in the US?
you're probably getting tired of repeating that.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
ericalm wrote:
you're probably getting tired of repeating that.
Sure, but I live to serve!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Hey, my dealer said April! That, of course, is not written in stone but I thought I'd throw it out there to up the froth quotient. :lol:
mhardgrove

Post by mhardgrove »

I have been scouring the interwebs for images of the injection system on the current Pgo 125 and 150 with FI, and so far nothing. If I could get a repair manual it would be awesome to see just how complex/simple the system is. Guess we just have to wait and see.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Looks familiar
viewtopic.php?t=14455&highlight=bubu

PGO was selling them in Taiwan last year. But not with a 170cc engine.

go about 3/4 the way down to see the colors.
http://www.pgo.com.tw/2010iBuBu125.shtml
Last edited by pcbikedude on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
ksalen

Post by ksalen »

Both my '86 Capri "5.0" EFI and my '99 Regal 5.0 EFI were throttle body injection systems. Basically, the system just puts an electrically calculated fog of gasoline in the throttle body where the carburetor would have done the same, and the fuel is passed into the cylinders through the intake valves. Far less advanced than the later-developed port fuel injection systems, the throttle body systems were among the simplest of injection systems, but were surprisingly effective.

I would expect that the system on the PGO/Buddy will be similar; i.e., relatively simple but surprisingly effective.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Different colors for us.... 8)
vote4seth

Oxford green

Post by vote4seth »

In the pictures from the dealer expo, it says oxford green... so much for British Racing Green... i had such high hopes.
Skootz Kabootz

Re: Oxford green

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

vote4seth wrote:In the pictures from the dealer expo, it says oxford green... so much for British Racing Green... i had such high hopes.
Pity. I've always been an Eton man. What what...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
vote4seth wrote:In the pictures from the dealer expo, it says oxford green... so much for British Racing Green... i had such high hopes.
That explains the rep tie. Cheerio.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
Bad form. Floreat Etona!
mhardgrove

Post by mhardgrove »

Found a link to a Pgo 125 water cooled engine with a Bosch ECU and injection system. Anyone know anything about this engine? Better yet, anyone know if this will be the basis for the 170? Sorry if this has been posted before, just didn't know they made a water cooled 125 at PGO.

http://www.pgo-scooter.com/support_getf ... e946f7daee
vote4seth

Post by vote4seth »

they are on the genuine website!!!!

http://www.genuinescooters.com/buddy170i.html
Plisar

Post by Plisar »

My dealer is under the impression that these are still a long time away from fruition.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

The rest of the nation will see the Buddy 170 before we do in California. There's a little bureacracy called the California Air Resources Board (CARB) that will delay the CA release for a least 6 months after everyone else.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
Plisar

Post by Plisar »

Well, at least someone has a job. :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pcbikedude wrote:The rest of the nation will see the Buddy 170 before we do in California. There's a little bureacracy called the California Air Resources Board (CARB) that will delay the CA release for a least 6 months after everyone else.
Mmmmmaybe, but also maybe not. Some models debut here simultaneous to the rest of the US. It depends on when it was submitted to CARB for testing, when the first shipment is expected and how freakin' long CARB takes to approve it. The 4T Stellas were CARB approved before the original first shipment arrived in the US (a year ago) so if not for the later holdup, CA would have had them the same time as the rest of the country.

If anyone is interested, here's the site where the CARB executive orders (stamps of approval) are posted. The docs there also have emissions readings for approved vehicles:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cer ... 1.php?so=4