[NSR] Year of the Tablet -update Finally bought the IPad Air

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rob

[NSR] Year of the Tablet -update Finally bought the IPad Air

Post by Rob »

I think there is expertise in this forum about these type things, so I hope you'll excuse this non-scooter related post.

Anyway, I've decided that the time is getting close to delve into the world of the tablet.

I've heard the rumors that the Ipad 2 will be on the market shortly with, to this point, rumored enhancements, so I will wait at least until that hits the market. I've read a few articles about products that were introduced at the 2011 CES and, of course, this has complicated the purchasing decisions.

I also realize that like a laptop, much of the decision will come down to what I will do with the machine. In my case it will be very basic. I travel quite a bit, either work related during the week or closer to home, to a more rural area, on many weekends. I'm looking to leave the laptop at home when possible and do some basic internet functions, perhaps use it as an e-reader, stream some movies (mostly through Netflix) and likely to store and view photos.

I would like something that ultimately supports 4G, preferably Verizon or Sprint, although I think Sprint is more of a hybrid 4G. Not interested in AT&T.

For the e-reader type functions, I would like something with a little less screen glare than the current Ipad.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Ipad 2, but I've read enough about the Motorola Xoom that interests to also consider it as a contender.

Any other opinions and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob[/b]
Last edited by Rob on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

... So I guess a Big Chief is out of the question...? R
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I'm saving my pennies for an iPad 2!

I have more confidence in a second generation product from Apple than a first from Motorola. The iPod 2 was better than the first, and the iPhone 3G was better than the original iPhone. So I can reassure myself that the iPad 2 will be better than the iPad.

[edit:] I also would not get a cell plan with my iPad purchase, just the WIFI.
Last edited by iMoses on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

Hey there,

I've got a few tablet devices, because part of what I do for my company is design the LAF and UI for mobile apps. I must say, I wasn't thrilled with the iPad2 upgrades. So I'm happy with my 1st Gen ipad for now. I've enjoyed playing with some Android devices, but in many cases the hardware is CRAPPY and impacts the performance (and thus, experience) of the devices.

More below ...

After reading about what enhancements are slated for the iPad2 (unconfirmed, but based on reasonable research), I decided to buy a 1st gen iPad. The main enhancements for me would be an SD card slot and retina display - neither of which is going in the new iPad. Items like the camera and whatnot ... I don't really use on my iPad. Maybe they're important to you. Keep a watch on the Apple Fanboi Blogs as they dissect what materials and manufacturers are working with Apple and you'll have a fairly good idea of what features are coming on the iPad 2.

I also chose the model without a cellular connection - WIFI only, as the places I go with it are all wired and I tremble at the thought of paying AT&T more money for such terrible, terrible service. Your post implies you might make use of the cellular connection more than I did.

If you're worried about glare, any mobile device will have some. And you can get matte screen protectors for any model. I don't have glare problems, but I don't take it with me everywhere. I use it primarily at home, work and a few friend's places. Maybe one or two wired breakfast joints.

Android ...
If you want to explore the world of Android tablets, a few promising models are hitting the market, some for very reasonable prices. I would *really* advise you to play with one in person before ordering it from the net - pay attention to how nice the hardware is. Investigate the specs. Open lots of apps and see if the hardware can manage the memory. These are all things that Apple has locked down quite well - and they really add up to making a great experience.

Toy or Tool?
I've also discovered that the iPad is a toy. Not a tool. I would like it to be a tool. But, it use it mostly for reading things. Emails both personal and professional. Nerd blogs and articles. Video articles while I work on stuff. Part of the problem is that the net is still learning how to deal with tablet devices, so many services aren't optimized to extend their functionality into this platform. You end up with a glitchy or reduced set of capabilities. It's tough to do any actual content creation on my ipad. Writing articles or emails is still "abbreviated" and writing any code or designing anything is still totally out of the question. So, the ipad is just a companion.

One advantage tho ... I'm never bored in the bathroom =D

Good luck and enjoy!
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Hwarang wrote: One advantage tho ... I'm never bored in the bathroom =D
And that's why you don't want to buy one used. :shock:

I'm also waiting for them to step out of their infancy stage. They are really nice toys, but awfully expensive for something that'll get replaced so soon.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

Lostmycage wrote:
Hwarang wrote: One advantage tho ... I'm never bored in the bathroom =D
And that's why you don't want to buy one used. :shock:

I'm also waiting for them to step out of their infancy stage. They are really nice toys, but awfully expensive for something that'll get replaced so soon.
Poo flakes (airborne, sublimated fecal particles) are evenly distributed throughout your home. Your toilet seat, toothbrush, dinnerware and couch all contain a nearly equal amount of cooties from the bathroom. Gross but true.

--> I agree with you about waiting. I had to buy mine for work, otherwise I prefer to wait until 3rd or 4th generation, actually. I don't pay companies to be a beta tester.
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

Hwarang wrote:...
Toy or Tool?
I've also discovered that the iPad is a toy. Not a tool. I would like it to be a tool. But, it use it mostly for reading things. Emails both personal and professional. Nerd blogs and articles. Video articles while I work on stuff. Part of the problem is that the net is still learning how to deal with tablet devices, so many services aren't optimized to extend their functionality into this platform. You end up with a glitchy or reduced set of capabilities. It's tough to do any actual content creation on my ipad. Writing articles or emails is still "abbreviated" and writing any code or designing anything is still totally out of the question. So, the ipad is just a companion.
My wife came to the same conclusion about the iPad and Android tablets. She was looking into these devices to provide her with better tools while she is seeing patients as a critical care pharmacist. She was using her WinMo phone to access drug info and other tools, and carrying around lots of paper with daily tracking sheets for each of her patients. In addition of not carrying around all of that paper, she wanted a way to get that info digitally. The problem with the Apple & Android tablets is that they don't all have support for the various hospitla & drug tools, and they don't multi-task. Additionally, support for Office tools for her data wasn't there. Turns out they are still just toys for her.

She did some research and ended-up buying a Dell inspiron duo. Its a 10" Windows 7 tablet computer. While not as light or as cool as one of the tabs, it is a really powerful tool for her. It doesn't weigh much more than the sheaf of paper she had to carry around, and she has better access to information. It is a little more expensive than a basic iPad ($549 vs $499) it has a lot of functionality, including a keyboard.

Hope this helps.
gtmotor

Post by gtmotor »

I'm on the list to get the new RIM tablet (Blackbery Playbook).

Nothing else is compatible with our network for security reasons and I've been more than happy with my Blackberry phone over the years. It may not be the fastest or newest thing around... but it's been reliable and secure. I expect the same thing out of their new tablet that's been touted as a tablet for professionals.

http://us.blackberry.com/playbook-tablet/
TVB

Post by TVB »

cheez37 wrote:The problem with the Apple & Android tablets is that they don't all have support for the various hospitla & drug tools, and they don't multi-task. Additionally, support for Office tools for her data wasn't there. Turns out they are still just toys for her.
The current Android and iOS operating systems do multitask. But you're right that none of these tablets are great for "production" type tasks. That was the focus of Microsoft's TabletPC architecture, and those continue to sell like Irish coffee at a Mormon wedding reception. So Apple and the companies following their lead are focusing on "consumption" tasks. If that's what you're looking for, it's hard to go wrong with any of the big-name manufacturers' devices.

My own strategy for buying Apple devices is to wait for the 2nd-generation device to be released... then buy the 1st-gen from the refurb section of their online store. At that point in the product cycle the software bugs have all been resolved, you still get a warranty on the hardware, and the prices are extra low to clear out the inventory.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm often an Apple early adopter but with a MacBook Pro and an iPhone 3GS, it was hard to justify the expense of the iPad so I figured I'd wait a bit on that.

Thing is, my MacBook Pro is getting older. There's a good chance I may be getting a newer one from work. This has me thinking about my household technology plan! (My wife's reaction, "You have a plan for this and just about nothing else. Of course.")

Most often (as in this moment) when not at home, I use my MacBook for email and browsing. Good for me to have a laptop, but I don't need to have it with me all of the time. So the plan involves replacing it with a 27" iMac and iPad. I'll still have access to a MacBook should I need InDesign and Photoshop on the road, but I won't be lugging it around with me EVERYWHERE.

As far as the iPad's utility… When I got the first iPhone, its utility was severely limited. No 3rd party app developers yet. Even before the phone evolved, the industry and market started to evolve around it. That iPhone became an indispensible tool for me and my 3GS still is. I expect the same to happen around the iPad. Since I don't need one the same way I need a phone, I'm willing to wait a bit. But make no mistake, I want one and will use the hell out of it!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

cdwise

Post by cdwise »

As a web developer I have several tablets and have used various other ones.

Android tablets are not ready for prime time. iPads are good but you are limited to what Apple approves and at least for my industry it is a toy not something for real work. Gave one to my mother-in-law who uses it for email, photos, maps, reading and internet browsing. It fits her needs but she's not trying to get real work done with it. The occasional letter using Pages is about as close to real work as she gets at 80.

My primary computer is a Motion J3500 tablet but inexpensive it isn't with an i7 processor, ssd, 4gig ram it's about as powerful as a MacBook Pro and priced equvilently.

As a result I'm not wild about taking it on the scoots though I do either in a backpack or otter case for longer trips. What I am getting for longer scoot trips and taking places I don't want to risk my primary computer is a CL900 http://www.motioncomputing.com/products ... _CL900.asp at under a grand.

What I like it that the Motion computers run a real desktop OS mine is running Win 7 64bit but the new one will probably be running 32 bit OS, are rugged with gorilla glass, have a camera and you can use any carrier you want with them if you get the wan module. I'm currently using ATT had Sprint with a previous Motion before switching over to ATT. Plus when I'm traveling internationally I can get a local pay as you go sim to avoid roaming.

Price is comparable or slightly higher than the iPads with decent storage without its limitations.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks for the responses! They did prove helpful ... well perhaps I didn't need the bathroom visuals etched into my mind for the foreseeable future ... and I already have the "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader" and "Why Do Men Have Nipples?" materials for those moments. :D

Anyway, The Ipad 2 announcement is set to happen this Wednesday, so I'll be able to separate fact from fiction at that point.

The Xoom has hit the market and, as suggested, I'm definitely going to do some hands on testing (hopefully this week) and then again on the Ipad 2 (whenever it actually hits the stores) before purchasing. However, the more I get into this, the more it seems that the Xoom might be a better fit for me. Although I might prefer a wifi only version (currently not available). Some folks at work have sync'd their wifi only Ipads with their 3G phones and that works very nicely ... so ulimately that may be the way for me to go. For anyone that might be interested, PCWorld did a nice review on the Xoom ... "To Buy or Not to Buy?" ... http://www.pcworld.com/article/220345/m ... nx_t_crawl

This device will definitely be a "toy" instead of a "tool" for me. Professionally, I'm involved with process control and automation. The applications we use are very proprietary and are resource hogs. So, I'll actually almost always have to haul a laptop around with me ... I'm just hoping to be able to leave it in the bag more often and use the Ipad/Xoom for more immediate access. And they do stream Netflix very nicely for those waits and long delays in the airports.

Again, thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Rob

Post by Rob »

Geez, I knew I'd posted soliciting IPad opinions way back, but I didn't think it was this long ago.

Anyway, talk about procrastination, I finally got me an IPad ... the Air. So far I love it. Thin and light and it looks like I can do about 90% of the things I currently do on my laptop.

This will be great for business travel as I currently haul both my work and personnel laptops along with me.

As an added benefit, for those that may belong to the Southwest Rewards program (or whatever it's called), if you purchase Apple products online through the Southwest shopping link, you get 1 reward point per dollar spent. I'm planning to get a MacBook Pro sometime after Christmas, so I'll take advantage of this once again.

Rob
- Steven Wright
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I have the latest model I pad. It is my first tablet. I use it all the, even now. I don't have to sit at the computer that way, it's light and doesn't heat up my leg like a laptop!!!!!!!
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
jsm

Post by jsm »

So, I guess a Big Chief is out of the question...?
:)
Syd

Post by Syd »

A couple years ago I picked up an HP Touchpad from a guy who got one when HP introduced the Touchpad and got out of the market on month later. I could afford a hundred bucks to see if I would actually use it. I do.

Now I'm waiting for the Black Friday discounts on a Surface (RT only, and a Surface 2 if the price is right).
The majority is always sane - Nessus
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Syd wrote:A couple years ago I picked up an HP Touchpad from a guy who got one when HP introduced the Touchpad and got out of the market on month later. I could afford a hundred bucks to see if I would actually use it. I do.

Now I'm waiting for the Black Friday discounts on a Surface (RT only, and a Surface 2 if the price is right).
We snagged a touchpad as well. I'm not a fan. The graphics processing power was just not good enough. The kids use it often. Ours developed the cracks but we never cared. We got an ipad mini for travel and its great.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Kiddo wants a tab. I am planning on Black Friday sales. It is a decision between Samsung Tab3 8.0, Microsoft surface (abut $100 less) and an Ipad 2. I told him this is not for Video Gaming (that would be his Vista that he messes up regularly) but rather something he can use for social stuff, emailing browsing and entertainment
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm still using a first gen iPad, but the Air is VERY appealing. Thinking about it.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Rob

Post by Rob »

ericalm wrote:I'm still using a first gen iPad, but the Air is VERY appealing. Thinking about it.
I bought a 2nd gen iPad, but my wife pretty much confiscated it and never let it go. I'm really happy with the iPad air. Light, thin and has a very nice display. I'm finding new uses/apps and capabilities everyday. I like the Siri feature .... particularly the idea of dictating my text messages and emails. It does a nice job with the voice recognition.

As I suspected, the laptop isn't getting used all that much now.

Rob
- Steven Wright