Model Years?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PeteH

Model Years?

Post by PeteH »

I have a somewhat silly question.

Having only been back in the scooter game for a month or so, I don't have a feel for Genuine's product line going back over the past couple of years. My Buddy, purchased in January '11, is a 2009 model. My dealer didn't have anything newer, and implied (or I inferred) that there really weren't 2010 150s. I took it on faith, and as I was getting what I consider a pretty good price (with a full warranty) on the '09, I left it at that. It's quite possible that this dealer had the '09s in inventory and never ordered any for 2010.

Now I haven't ready everybody's profile here on MB, so I don't really recall having seen references to 2010 model year rides.

While I should think the incoming Stella 4Ts will be 2010, what's the deal on the other models? Did Genuine import what would be considered a 2010, or did they have a warehouse full of 2009s? Their website only refers to '09 for the Internationals: "For '09 we upped the ante' once again by releasing all of the international colors as 50cc.".
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Worry not, you have the latest model year (and probably got a great deal too). There have been no Buddy model changes since 2009. In 2010 there were no new Buddy introductions, the Blur SS220i arrived on the scene, and the Stella 4T teased us mercilessly but continues being coy. The Buddy 170 will be the first new member of the Buddy lineup since 2009. Their exact arrival date is (as far as I know) still TBD.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Most manufaturers, and dealers had plenty of '09's left in the pipeline after the shtuff hit the fan, that bringing in any '10's didn't happen.

In 2010 American Suzuki for instance didn't import any new bikes, let alone any MY 2010. They still have, 2009 models for sale as most every PTW manufacturer does.

2010 will long be remembered by those in the PTW industry as the year that "wasn't".

Genuine had insult to injury over the 4T Stella debacle, which clearly would have been a bright spot in for them in 2010....but that didn't happen either. Thankfully they are strong enough to have survived that and hopefully the new products they have planned (including the 4T Stella) will help them have a great 2011.

At the end of the day, the BEST deals will be had on recession-era inventory, and there's a lot of good deals on great scooters to be had.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

mattgordon wrote:Most manufaturers, and dealers had plenty of '09's left in the pipeline after the shtuff hit the fan, that bringing in any '10's didn't happen.
That's what I figured - the sudden drop-off in gas prices after the 2008 surge probably led to a good bit of unsold inventory, or at least a dip in demand that screwed up planning for 2009/2010.
Genuine had insult to injury over the 4T Stella debacle, which clearly would have been a bright spot in for them in 2010....but that didn't happen either. Thankfully they are strong enough to have survived that and hopefully the new products they have planned (including the 4T Stella) will help them have a great 2011.
Amen. Let's hope the Stella 4Ts get off the boat before 2012.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

PeteH wrote:
mattgordon wrote:Most manufaturers, and dealers had plenty of '09's left in the pipeline after the shtuff hit the fan, that bringing in any '10's didn't happen.
That's what I figured - the sudden drop-off in gas prices after the 2008 surge probably led to a good bit of unsold inventory, or at least a dip in demand that screwed up planning for 2009/2010.
Amen. Let's hope the Stella 4Ts get off the boat before 2012.
Indeed the fuelflation of 2008 led many manufacturers AND dealers to INCREASE orders for scooters, only to have the recession kill the market for them once they arrived....

The 4T is rumored to be on it's way. While not for everyone, the 4T will most certainly be very successful and I applaud Genuine for bringing it to us. I, for one cannot wait to see it.
easy

Post by easy »

last fall I got a new BJ and dealer had to order it and its and 09 not a 10.Kinda surpised but love my BJ.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This would make a good FAQ entry. Here's a start off the top of my head, but it's missing some info (colors for each year would be great) and may need some corrections. Feel free to add/correct and I'll compile it!

Complete omission of Black Cat, Rattler and Roughhouse solely due to my not knowing the dates and not looking them up. :)

Stella 150 debuts.

Stella GB 150 Limited Numbered Edition of 100. Features: British racing green paint, gold Stella logos, Union Jack badges, brown seat and grips.

Ferrara Pan Atomic Fireball Stella, Limited Numbered Edition of 150. Features include: racing-style seat, yellow powdercoated rims, red powdercoated hubs, custom flame graphics, "raised" gearing for higher top speeds, Fireball mudflap, new grips, a coin tray (full of candy!), Ferrara Pan branding.

Stella production interrupted by strike at LML. 2005 is the last model year for Stella until its return. (I think. Is this date right? Anyone?)

Buddy 50 and 125 debut.
Blur 150 debuts.

Debut of the Series Italia 50s (the "Little Italia") and 125s.
All Buddys receive a bigger headlight and upgraded tail light.
Orange graphics on Blur 150 are changed to black.

Debut of Buddy International 150s: St. Tropez, Pamplona and Series Italia.
Buddy Series Italia 125 discontinued. (Was the Little Italia discontinued in '08 or '09?)

Stella returns to the US market.
Buddy BlackJack 150 debuts.
Limited run of white Buddy 125s.

Blur returns as the Blur SS 220i, fuel injected and 220cc.

Debut of the Buddy 170i.
All Buddy International 150s discontinued.
Rattler 110 discontinued.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

in 07 in addition to the tailight and headlight changes, there was a cell charger.

Stebel horns in all Internationals, right? or anything after 2008?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

According to website specs, different horns in Buddy 50 and 150, but both Stebel, yeah.

Also reads on the website like the 50cc Internationals came back (or never went away) in 2009 (all three color schemes), but I cheerfully defer to reality. :D
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

My little italia 50 is a 2008, not sure about exactly what horn is in it other than it was louder than my friends stock cruiser motorcycle horn (he was pretty damn jealouse) :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

PeteH wrote:According to website specs, different horns in Buddy 50 and 150, but both Stebel, yeah.

Also reads on the website like the 50cc Internationals came back (or never went away) in 2009 (all three color schemes), but I cheerfully defer to reality. :D
I believe the Buddy 50 & 125 have the Stebel Magnum and the 150 has the Stebel Nautilus.The Nautilus is a kick a** get your attention horn.Whats cool is the Buddy 150's are the only scooter of any brand to come stock with the Nautilus.Many riders of varying brands of scoots buy and install the Nautilus Horn.Certainly a great safety addition.You can visit Stebel's website and listen to the horn audio to get an idea of the sound. :D
Aerosmith, None Other.
Luckybear57

Re: Buddy Colors by Year

Post by Luckybear57 »

ericalm wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:51 pm This would make a good FAQ entry. Here's a start off the top of my head, but it's missing some info (colors for each year would be great) and may need some corrections. Feel free to add/correct and I'll compile it!
YES YES! This is what I specifically came to Modern Buddy for. I've always wondered where I can find a list of Buddy 125s and the colors that were offered each year. I'm still trying to learn the layout of this forum so maybe there is a list somewhere on here since this post was last commented on in 2011 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
scootERIK

Re: Model Years?

Post by scootERIK »

2014 Models and Colors from the brochure.

Buddy 50 and 125 colors = Black, Red, Royal Blue, Seafoam, Tangerine, White

Buddy 50 International= Brit, Italia, Pamplona

Buddy 170i= Brit, Italia, Matte Black, Mocha, Oxford Green, Pamplona, Zephyr Silver

Roughhouse R50= Matte Black, Matte Army Green, Red

Hooligan= Matte Black, Matte Army Green

Blur SS 220i= Gun Metal, White

Stella Automatic= Candy Apple Red, Electric Blue, Ivory, Metallic Black

Stella(4 stroke)= Avocado, Avocado/Creme, Black, Creme, Dijon Yellow, Red, Slate Blue, Slate Blue/Creme
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Buddy Colors by Year

Post by ericalm »

Luckybear57 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:43 pm
ericalm wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:51 pm This would make a good FAQ entry. Here's a start off the top of my head, but it's missing some info (colors for each year would be great) and may need some corrections. Feel free to add/correct and I'll compile it!
YES YES! This is what I specifically came to Modern Buddy for. I've always wondered where I can find a list of Buddy 125s and the colors that were offered each year. I'm still trying to learn the layout of this forum so maybe there is a list somewhere on here since this post was last commented on in 2011 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If someone were really industrious, they could try using the Internet Archive Wayback Machine to check the Genuine site every year since 2006. For the 125s, there actually hasn’t been that much change over the years compared to many makes.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…