Dang! I want one of these!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dakotamouse

Dang! I want one of these!

Post by dakotamouse »

We went to a motorcycle show and a dealer had one of these set up. He encouraged the husband and I to have a seat. LOVE at first sit!

I hate being a passenger on a bike or scooter. I worry that any movement of mine will create hell for the driver.......but this.........Heaven! Not that I'd always be the passanger. I could see myself as pilot.

It seats great, has semiautomatic transmission..including reverse and and well every kind of comfort item you can think of. Even heated seats!!

A mere...ahem...$25,000 but oh how I wish!!
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
Syd

Post by Syd »

I've never liked the Spyder myself, but YMMV.

(I'll bet you could find a nice used snowmobile that you could mod to make street worthy.)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

And they are crazy fast, too. I got to test ride one a while back. I still prefer 2 wheels.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Now, if you prefer 3 wheels - how about this? (currently available from Morgan, but also not cheap unfortunately)

http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/sales/thr ... eeler.html
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Syd wrote:I've never liked the Spyder myself, but YMMV.

(I'll bet you could find a nice used snowmobile that you could mod to make street worthy.)
I've pondered this, myself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Dooglas wrote:Now, if you prefer 3 wheels - how about this? (currently available from Morgan, but also not cheap unfortunately)

ooooooh

I want this
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Rob's raptor? Sweet 8)
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

My thing with the spyder is they only get about 30 mpg, you could buy a car and get better gas mileage. :(
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Too wide.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

DennisD wrote:Too wide.
and the kicker - NO LEANING! :shock: What's the point? It's like a really expensive less safe convertible.
gtmotor

Post by gtmotor »

ScooterTrash wrote:
Dooglas wrote:Now, if you prefer 3 wheels - how about this? (currently available from Morgan, but also not cheap unfortunately)

ooooooh

I want this
That looks like a Campagna T-Rex :)... I seriously considered one but it kind of has all of the negative attributes of a car (cage) mixed with the negatives of a bike (no one can see you)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The Spyder looks really bad ass in a parking lot, but when you see one in motion, it's a different story. I saw a guy stopped at a left turn light on one. The light turned green and he was a few vehicles back, so he couldn't just take off. The left turn went downhill just slightly. When he started to turn, maybe doing 20 mph (at the most - not enough room to accelerate considering the car in front of him) his left front tire started to lift off the ground. That just struck me as wrong... maybe it's a way to ride and get an adrenaline dump at low speeds?

If you want a trike, check out the MP3. They really are impressive, even if over-priced. If you look around, you can find some good deals on them. I never would have been able to afford one at full price. Too many other things to buy, hehe.

My mind was made up when I almost got hit by a homicidal U-turner and ended up locking the rear wheel in a sideways skid and kept the thing upright. The extra wheel with tilting ability up front really makes a difference.

If you've got a lot of straight roads out your way, the Spyder wouldn't be a bad way to go, though. They do look pretty neat. Just be way of turning. It requires some muscle and practice.

edited because I had the wrong tire lifting off the ground
Last edited by Lostmycage on Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lostmycage wrote:My mind was made up when I almost got hit by a homicidal U-turner and ended up locking the rear wheel in a sideways skid and kept the thing upright. The extra wheel with tilting ability up front really makes a difference.
On my one MP3 ride, I had the rear wheel skid out on a wet patch and I was upright like nothing else!

That's not to say that the MP3 is uncrashable. It certainly can be. Its major flaw is also its strength—the linkage of the front wheels. Any damage up there is pretty damn costly to fix, even by Piaggio standards.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Roose Hurro wrote:I'd rather have one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA1YhFeWxR8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IigpnNCU ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Vqr_h7 ... re=related

http://monotracer.peraves.ch/

Ha it's a small world,the Monotracer is also my dream choice.Good taste Roose! I would like to see a Mono offered with either a convertible top option or a removable hard top. :D
Attachments
poshreviewmonotracer3.jpg
poshreviewmonotracer3.jpg (66.38 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
Aerosmith, None Other.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Regarding that Monotracer: unless I missed something in the technical description, it only has one point of entry/egress, that being the left side hatch. In an emergency situation, how would you get out if you were flopped over on the left (assuming that the "landing gear" malfunctioned or was damaged)?
TVB

Post by TVB »

Lostmycage wrote:The Spyder looks really bad ass in a parking lot, but when you see one in motion, it's a different story. I saw a guy stopped at a left turn light on one. The light turned green and he was a few vehicles back, so he couldn't just take off. The left turn went downhill just slightly. When he started to turn, maybe doing 20 mph (at the most - not enough room to accelerate considering the car in front of him) his right front tire started to lift off the ground. That just struck me as wrong... maybe it's a way to ride and get an adrenaline dump at low speeds?
Top Gear's look at the Reliant Robin is possibly the most entertaining commentary on the handling of three-wheeled vehicles ever committed to video. ("Where's Martin Fry, out of ABC, when you need him?")
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

ScooterTrash wrote:

ooooooh

I want this
oooooh!! Looks like serious fun!
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

bgwss wrote:My thing with the spyder is they only get about 30 mpg, you could buy a car and get better gas mileage. :(
True...but it wouldn't be as much fun. I'll never give up my scooter but for riding two up with the hubby I'd really love this.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Tilting 3 wheelers, FTW! :)

http://flytheroad.com/about.html

This baby was on the shelf for years but is not slated for delivery in 2014. It's based on the Carver. Sadly, over the past couple years of development/economic and funding woes, it's lost some appeal. The original versions were to use hybrid tech, get 100MPG and cost under $20K. What looks like the first production version is over $25K, gets 55MPG with a 2-cyl 4T engine. But it goes 100MPG. And it tilts.
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-03-24 at 8.17.01 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-24 at 8.17.01 AM.png (201.43 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Rob

Post by Rob »

I met a guy with a custom Stallion trike last summer. http://www.thoroughbred-motorsports.com/

He let me take it out for a little ride and I'm still not sure if I loved it or hated it. :D

First off, it had a steering wheel, heat and AC, and some other things that just didn't seem "right" on a bike/trike. But all in all, it handled and cornered surprisingly well. Not as well as a bike or even a Piaggio MP3, but still not too bad. I also think this would be a very comfortable way to go for 2 up touring.

But there is NO missing of any potholes you encounter (I know that from experience) and a probable difficulty in avoiding other obstacles in the road as well (my suspicion). 3 wheels spaced evenly across one lane on a trike that isn't very nimble, equates to a need for a very good suspension. :D

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Crazy88s

Post by Crazy88s »

Same here I love the Can-Am spyder roadster it's one of my dream bikes, if I buy one of these I'm going to ride the pan-amercian highway with it.
Last edited by Crazy88s on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy88s

Post by Crazy88s »

I have seen one of these before it was a ling time ago It was freezing cold and there it was in the toco bell parking lot I remember seeing what a motorcycle because it had some sort of a hard top to protect the rider from the rain,
BuddyLicious wrote:
Roose Hurro wrote:I'd rather have one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA1YhFeWxR8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IigpnNCU ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Vqr_h7 ... re=related

http://monotracer.peraves.ch/

Ha it's a small world,the Monotracer is also my dream choice.Good taste Roose! I would like to see a Mono offered with either a convertible top option or a removable hard top. :D
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

BuddyLicious wrote:Ha it's a small world,the Monotracer is also my dream choice. Good taste Roose! I would like to see a Mono offered with either a convertible top option or a removable hard top. :D
It is one gorgeous looking machine. As for a convertible/removable hard top? Hmmm... no, if I'm going to have the wind in my hair, then I'll stick with a "normal" motorcycle/scooter for that. The whole point of the Monotracer is having that enclosed bodywork, in my opinion, at least. Though I have no issue with them making such versions available, simply, for my money, I'd stay with the hardtop, just like I do when it comes to cars/cages.

Heh... of course, the whole money thing makes this moot. Just a dream, sans any Lotto winings. *sigh*

TVB wrote:Top Gear's look at the Reliant Robin is possibly the most entertaining commentary on the handling of three-wheeled vehicles ever committed to video. ("Where's Martin Fry, out of ABC, when you need him?")
Thing is, the Reliant Robin has a single wheel on the front, with two on the rear. That design is inherently unstable, while the two front, one rear configuration is much more stable.

Crazy88s wrote:I have seen one of these before it was a ling time ago It was freezing cold and there it was in the toco bell parking lot I remember seeing what a motorcycle because it had some sort of a hard top to protect the rider from the rain,
There are a number of such vehicles out there... look up the keywords "cabin motorcycle" for some fun.

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

TVB wrote:Top Gear's look at the Reliant Robin is possibly the most entertaining commentary on the handling of three-wheeled vehicles ever committed to video. ("Where's Martin Fry, out of ABC, when you need him?")
My gawd, I laughed so hard I choked. Thanks for that!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Lostmycage wrote:My gawd, I laughed so hard I choked. Thanks for that!
I had to pause it to catch my breath when he, er... parked at the Robin enthusiasts club meeting.