How do I stop the rattling/buzzing sound from the plastics?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tocsik

How do I stop the rattling/buzzing sound from the plastics?

Post by Tocsik »

I really need to get this to go away. It is detracting from my scootering enjoyment!
The noise comes from the seam where the top and bottom pieces of the plastics meet on the headset. I know it comes from there because I can press on the seam at stoplights and the buzzing/rattling stops.
I have tried tightening the screws on the whole assembly and even tried some clear caulking along the seam.

Now, there's also some noise from where the nose piece sometimes rattles against the side pieces with the dead lights in them but that's more on bumpy roads. I had taken some lengths of oxygen tubing and slit them lengthwise and then put them along the edges of the nose piece. I took them off eventually 'cause they looked like crap.

Does anyone have suggestions for the headpiece noise? Does anyone else have this and just "live with it"?
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
tam

Post by tam »

I don't think mine rattles there, but I did have a problem with the front cover. I used a small cutoff from a foam pipe cover. They sell those at home depot etc for a few dollars, and it's a long piece of foam. It compresses enough to fit between just about anything, and it's worked for me.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Maybe some sticky foam tape would be best. It's thin enough to fit, thick enough to dampen and sticky enough to stay put.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I've had headset vibration periodically at low RPMs at idle. Disappears as soon as I get going (although, alternatively I just can't hear it over wind and exhaust noise). My current hypothesis, after heaving the the top headset shell off for a headlight change, is that it's not necessarily from pieces touching and vibrating but perhaps from the plastic headset shell resonating. I'm first going to try some bar end weights to cut down on vibration. I may try some dynamat if that doesn't work, but it doesn't annoy me terribly at this point.
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

I used a regular bar end that has a rubber bushing on it. The tighter the nut it stretches the bushing, it aborsbs vibrations.

You HAVE to cut off a hole on the grips though.
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

Had a very similar situation on my wife's Buddy and found it to be coming from the gold u-shaped headlamp pivot clamps being loose.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Lagerhead wrote:Had a very similar situation on my wife's Buddy and found it to be coming from the gold u-shaped headlamp pivot clamps being loose.
Is that inside the headlight mount? Do you need to remove the headset plastics to get to it?

Thanks.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

It's inside the headset, below the speedometer, you'll have to pull the headset top off to get to it. (4 screws under the headset, 1 screw in the chrome headlight bezel and disconnect the speedo cable at the wheel)
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

Glad you started this thread because I've been noticing this on mine too. Not positive but it seems like the rattling started after I took it in for service last so maybe something didn't get tightened properly.

I notice the plastic rattling most when I'm decelerating. Good tips!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

So, I spent some time in the garage with my scooter yesterday evening working on this rattling nonsense.
Just as a test, I put a very wide elastic band around the headlight to see if that stopped the buzzing/rattling from that area.
Then, I removed the front cover and placed some pretty thick, double-stick pads along the groove where the plastic pieces meet.

This morning, the rattling coming from the front of the scooter was gone. Very nice.

Unfortunately, I still have some other annoying sounds that are more thrumming-type vibrations (sort of oscillating in nature) around 40 bmph. I've had a lot of these vibrations since my bearings went bad the first time. The rear bearings have been replaced twice now and I am on my third clutch but I still have more vibration/rattling/buzzing than I would like. I suppose it could just be a weird combination of my tranny set-up; the springs, sliders and clutch that I have installed right now.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

I'm a bit late but yeah I used double sided padded tape between my 2 headset plastics to eliminate the vibration there. Worked like a charm.
2 > 4
Bcon

Post by Bcon »

I've had the same problem since my rebuilt/big bore kit install. Mine has a nice resonance between idle and when the clutch fully engages that rattles the plastic. Very annoying.

I tried the foam double stick tape last fall, but didn't manage to get rid of all the plastic buzzing from the upper steering plastic pieces. I'll play with it again when I get time. It gets on my nerves in stop and go traffic.

In some respect, I guess it's nice to hear it's not just mine that does this.
2004 Stella
BMW F800ST
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

anyone dealing with vibration from the Genuine topcase? what a pain in the a$$! I'm wondering if Permatex Form-a gasket sealant 2 would work with a thin bead inside of the top hatch, then left to dry.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:anyone dealing with vibration from the Genuine topcase? what a pain in the a$$! I'm wondering if Permatex Form-a gasket sealant 2 would work with a thin bead inside of the top hatch, then left to dry.
I have never had a problem with a rattling topcase, even after it twice broke the fall of my scooter, and the only reason I can think of is that when I installed it I put a 1/8" rubber gasket between all the metal to metal contact points between the rear rack, the topcase mounts, and the bottom of the topcase. I think that succeeds in dampening vibrations and helps keep screws tight, etc. There is also a small rubber gasket that fits all the way around the seam between the top of the case and the bottom. No doubt that helps too.
I've always felt lucky that it is so quiet. Of course, now with age the rest of my scooter is starting to rattle. But the topcase, not a peep. :roll:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |