In addition to your Buddy/Stella do you own a large scooter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mulliganal

In addition to your Buddy/Stella do you own a large scooter?

Post by Mulliganal »

I'm waiting for my Stella 4T to arrive but I've also been looking to the future and may want to get something larger like a Suzuki Burgman 650, or a Honda Silverwing (or some other good larger scooter). So I was wondering who here owns a larger highway type scooter, or may be looking at getting one in the future.

I ask because I just got back from Florida and while driving I passed someone on a Suzuki Burgman and it seems like it would be a really fun scooter to own. Unlike the Harley guys I passed (and I have alway wanted to own a Harley Fatboy), it looks like the hwy scooters would be much more comfortable on longer trips.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

<<<As you can see I own a SYM RV250 & a Kymco GrandVista.

Even though there are concerns about parts availability and service in the Eastern US,
the SYM is a really nice long-range scooter.
The engine is smooth and quiet, the dash has a great layout and the seat is (to me) comfy for hours.
Generous storage areas and 62 mpg.
The size is perfect for me, too.

A Burgman and a Silverwing would be too much weight
for me to move around by hand when it's not running.

The Kymco is a step down in many ways. Dash plain, seat uncomfortable after a short while
and doesn't seem as 'sure-footed' as the SYM.

But they (including the fantastic Buddy) all have their useful/fun days.

I don't see myself needing to go larger than a 300cc.
Dooglas

Re: In addition to your Buddy/Stella do you own a large scoo

Post by Dooglas »

Mulliganal wrote:I'm waiting for my Stella 4T to arrive but I've also been looking to the future and may want to get something larger like a Suzuki Burgman 650, or a Honda Silverwing (or some other good larger scooter). So I was wondering who here owns a larger highway type scooter, or may be looking at getting one in the future.
And then there is the MP3. Those of us that ride them, mostly love the heck out of them. There is an excellent MP3 Forum on MV if you want to read what their owners think and what they do with their scoots.

http://modernvespa.com/forum/forum13?si ... b78f8bc842
Syd

Post by Syd »

Have you ever sat on a maxi scoot? If you are tall or long of leg you may find that they don't fit you. Dooglas' MP3 is in a different class of big scoot with a more upright seating position, but in general I at least have found that every maxi is too cramped in the leg for me.

(Not that it stops me from looking.)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

well lets see i own an xs1100 full dress does that count
funny thing is i put more miles on the scoots then the big bike
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Syd wrote:Have you ever sat on a maxi scoot? If you are tall or long of leg you may find that they don't fit you. Dooglas' MP3 is in a different class of big scoot with a more upright seating position, but in general I at least have found that every maxi is too cramped in the leg for me.
There is a lot of variation in the riding position of Maxi-scooters alright. A few have a very low and long riding position (the Morphous comes to mind). Others, like the MP3, are really set up for a more upright posture. And, yes, the MP3 fits a mid-sized rider best. Tall riders generally go for the accessory footpegs, and sometimes a custom seat.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

The Nazgul is a black Silverwing. As the others have said, maxiscooter ergonomics are small. I'm 6'3" and I have the sense I'm 4" too tall for a Silverwing. It's reliable, though, and highway riding is nooooo problem as long as your tire doesn't do this, like mine did in the middle of BFE. :evil:
Attachments
Cannonball2008TireBlister2.JPG
Cannonball2008TireBlister2.JPG (41.16 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I bought my Stella in 2006, and several years later became a charter member of a local scooter club. We started with 4 Stella riders, but the club soon got into longer, faster rides. It was tough keeping up with all the Burgmans, and I was hoping to buy a Genuine Classic Cruiser, whenever it might come out. I got tired of waiting, so in late 2009, I bought a new Vespa GTS 250. I'd still like something with even more cc's, but the Burgmans, Silverwings, Majesty's, etc., are just too heavy and uckin' fugly. Maybe I'll have to build my own Classic Cruiser!
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

The Buddy is like a Stratocaster -- I've played/ridden a lot of them, but never owned one. I'll get one when I win MegaMillions, though. I need a 125cc for most of my riding (now accomplished on an overheating Kymco People 250 -- third spring in a row, yay!), but am leaning towards the Thai-built Honda PCX125, as I really dig the look of it.

However, having had sold and serviced a metric buttload of Buddys, I really admire their reliability. The curved floorboard is what throws me most about it, I reckon.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I ride a Buddy, vintage Vespa and I have a Burgman 650 Ex that is my commuter. I hear the crap from everyone.

I commute Intrastate highways 70 miles a day plus occasional 330 mile round trips for work. Yes it is heavy however..it is an incredible machine that I have put almost 27,00 miles on. Low speed handling is cumbersome and takes time to get used to.

It is completely different than a Buddy. It is the Goldwing of scooters and shines on the super slab. The electronic CVT is completely different than mechanical CVT.

Storage is two full face under the seat or a 19" laptop, hard hat and a change of clothes. The ride is super smooth and with the low CG handling is close to a sports bike.

As far as not being a "scooter" well...whatever...ride what you like and like what you ride!

For more info check out http://burgmanusa.com/forums/index.php
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

There are small-ish scoots that are faster, like the Aprilia Sportcity 250 (sweet), which can maintain freeway speeds. If you want to travel with it however, the heavier bikes are going to be a much smoother ride. My dad used to own a Honda Helix and I rode it a few times. Although not the most attractive scooter, the moment you sit on one you will be considering it. I liken it to riding a La-Z-Boy recliner down the highway. Slower/tighter maneuvering is awkward because of the size and it is pretty heavy compared to a Stella (as any maxi would be), but I imagine you would quickly get used to the weight difference.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I've got a Buddy and a Stella that are my pure fun bikes. I've got an RV250 for more serious riding like when I need to ride the interstate for a while or just have a long distance to cover and a short time in which to do it.

The RV250 doesn't have nearly the fun factor of the other 2 scoots, still beats a cage though.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Vic

Post by Vic »

I have my Buddy, and I also have a Sym RV250. I love the Buddy for running around by myself, short trips, commuting, and that kind of thing. The Sym is perfect for longer trips (like from central Ohio to DC last summer) and when I need to take lots of stuff (camping) or another person.

I like that I can take the Sym on any road that I need to and it can handle it with comfort and ease, I can ride it for longer periods of time than I can the Buddy without my legs turning to mush (the seat is far more comfortable for me) and it can be loaded down with quite a bit of stuff and I don't even notice that it is there. I also like that when I do get it loaded down with stuff I don't have to do any unpacking of the stuff to fill up the gas tank. My kids are both very tall and have long legs, riding around on the Buddy just does not work for us, but they are comfy and happy on the Sym and I only notice that they are there when we clink helmets.

I see it as choosing the right tool for the job. For me, the Buddy is the perfect tool for the job of zipping around town by myself, saving lots of money on gas, and getting from here to there and back again with a minimum of fuss. The Sym is for longer trips with more stuff or two of us, saving money on gas, and comfort. :)

Cheers,
-v
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

You might also wnat to check out the Piaggio BV 500 and the Yamaha T-Max (also 500 cc)

The BV is a more traditional style but I personally find the single cylinder 500 cc motor to be a bit of a rough ride.

The t-Max is more of a "sport" scooter, not a lot of storage but the people that I know that have them love them.

Personally for long distance touring I wouldn't go with anything under 400 cc.... unless your running CBR 2012!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TVB

Post by TVB »

BuddyRaton wrote:Personally for long distance touring I wouldn't go with anything under 400 cc.... unless your running CBR 2012!
Personally for long distance touring I wouldn't go with anything under 40 cc. :)
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Syd wrote:Have you ever sat on a maxi scoot? If you are tall or long of leg you may find that they don't fit you. Dooglas' MP3 is in a different class of big scoot with a more upright seating position, but in general I at least have found that every maxi is too cramped in the leg for me.

(Not that it stops me from looking.)
There are a few taller 250's out there:
People S 250 (similar in style to the HD200)
Piaggio BV 250, and then the 500 as well.
mike_cor

Post by mike_cor »

Just completed the MSF course this past Saturday so now I'm in the market for a big bike for longer distances. I have a Buddy Italia and looking at a Honda VTX1300.
rajron

Post by rajron »

We loved it with the smaller scooters but because of the limitations on where we could go/distances we decided to get larger scooters – we still reminisce on the great times we had with the smaller scooters.
The wife stated with a People 150 but now has a Vespa 250.
I have a Vespa 300 and the Buddy.
We have put thousands of freeway miles with the larger scooters.