Post your First Modernbuddy.com post

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

peabody99

Post your First Modernbuddy.com post

Post by peabody99 »

June 14th 2006. First, we lost weight! but mostly I thought a scooter was for tooling around town 35 mph on the weekend. OMG. how things changed. We were only 2 up for about month, before long we had 2 scooters, then 3, and for a spell, 4 . Anyone else have a silly post like this?
peabody99 wrote:Hello! I am inches away from purchasing a buddy 125. I cannot seem to find manufactors specs on rider weight limit. Spouse and I weigh 340 together together . We have no plans for highway riding, just scooting around town on errands weekends (probably would not exceed 35 mph due to living in city) . Any thoughts? thanks!
:
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

not much different then many of my recent posts :)
JHScoot wrote:i gotta tell you, that horn really is a great safety device on a small scoot. it will get you noticed, thats for sure

and keep you nice and stealthy if a truck is behind you and you honk at the person ahead of you at a light. they would never suspect! 8)
from a Buddy horn thread
Riding is riding
TVB

Post by TVB »

I was long-winded, responding to a question about packing for a long ride:
I did some long-distance bicycling when I was young enough to take my leave from responsibility for over a month at a time, and more recently I've managed to escape a few times for a week or so into the wilderness on foot. I'm mulling over a week-long scooter trip (half-circumnavigating Lake Michigan, ending with a ferry ride back), which I expect will draw a little experience from both adventures... and present some new challenges.

Regarding the use of a backpack: I'd recommend avoiding it. Maybe a little daypack to put snacks, water, camera, and the like in, but not as a way of hauling gear. There's no alternative to being a pack mule when hiking, but you don't want to do that if you have one between your legs. For six weeks bike-camping on the road, I hung all my gear on that minimal frame, which looked silly but was well worth it. It kept my center of gravity low to minimize the chance of tipping over, it saved wear and tear on my back, and when I stopped all I had to do to become an ordinary human being was: get off (and try to park the bike so it wouldn't tip over). Contrast that with hiking, where every stop to take pictures, eat a snack, refill a water bottle, etc. requires a ritual of unbuckling and buckling the pack.

A standard packing recommendation (for just about any travel, but more important when you're not using porters to haul things for you) is to lay out all of the things you're planning to take with you, remove the heaviest items... then put half of it away and leave it behind. Especially if you're going to be traveling somewhere that people live: they'll have places called "stores" where you can buy almost anything it turns out you really truly needed after all. Smile

JasonH: I went with an ultralight tent for my recent backpacking ventures on Isle Royale, and I think the trivial extra weight compared to a tarp is worth the bug proofing and better rain protection it provides.

But like I said: this will be my first time doing anything like this on a scooter, so I welcome any additional suggestions from those who've actually done this sort of thing.
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

Jackie F wrote:I will be there on Saturday & Sunday. I'm also thinking of doing the Thursday cruise. The best time to be a tourist in your own city.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

jijifer wrote:What's the performance difference of a 175cc mod? I'm a big girl and I can get my Buddy to do about 70(per the speedometer) on a downhill, 65 on a straight way but never over 50 on a steep up hill. I would like to do 65 on the up hill. Would this kit make that much of a difference or should I just keep saving for a bigger bike?

My buddy's the right size for me (physically) and I really adore her so I guess I'd like to keep her but make her faster/more powerful.

Also, there's NO WAY I could do this sort of mod myself. Would a shop put it on?

Please roll your eyes anonymously. I appreciate any info.

Thanks!
Jen
I only had my scooter one month. originally the buzz on the kit was it would be a 175cc kit. I ended up with having the shop put on the 161cc Kit and bigger head. I upgraded the shocks, too. I'm ALMOST to 20k two years later. So many happy smiles and miles on big baby blue!
remy1701

Post by remy1701 »

It's this one. Hi.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Ha ha nice. Welcome remy to the modern buddy family. I'll go dig up my first and edit this post.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

For the record, my posting of my first post just happens to be be my 1000th post. Kinda cool.

Here is my first post, 5/15/08 at 5:50am:

I've noticed that my St Tropez goes from 1/4 tank to "E" in a hurry. However, I have never put more than 1.2gal in her. Exactly how much fuel do the 150's hold, anyway?

Howard

Ah, the ever-present fuel related question

HR
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

remy1701 wrote:It's this one. Hi.
awesome! You registered in 2009 and now came out? Love it!
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

06/03/07
ScooterTrash wrote:Picked it up thursday and allready had to fix the speedo :) I love this thing

Image[/img]
Wow, I forgot what it looked like lol
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

My first-ever MB post (Jun 16, 2006) was barely about Buddys, ha.
ericalm wrote:Nice scoot, but I really dig that Veer Lorem Ipsum t-shirt! On my Christmas list 2 years running and I still haven't gotten one. :(
I still don't have one of those shirts! :nerd:

We still have a number of active members from summer '06! Most of the first 100 or so who joined came from ModernVespa, me included.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rajron

Post by rajron »

New here and a fist time scooter owner

A couple of three months ago my wife comes home and says she wants a scooter, this guy that she works with has a Stella and she thought it would be perfect for her because we live only about 3 miles from her work, she said we would save gas etc. Anyway we ended up getting her a Kymco People 150 because it was an automatic and she like the way it looked.
All along she has been telling me I also needed a bike as well so we could cruise around areas like the Rio Grande and enjoy scenery.
Wow time has flown by July 18, 2006 – we also have three scooters, sold the People otherwise we would have four.
Below is a picture when we first got the Buddy, boy has things changed ( that Cottonwood tree in the background, you can just see some limbs hanging, ended up getting huge and big limbs started falling down so the tree has been replaced with a more stable tree. I ended up painting the wheels on the Buddy and added various other things including the 161.
I still use the Buddy though it is usually on the Battery Tender –

Keys

Post by Keys »

I've been riding and hotrodding motorcycles (large and small) and scooters for some 37 years and have had some of the most satisfying adaptations made on small displacement machines. When you only have, say 7 horsepower, an increase of two horsepower is nearly a third, making the power difference ENORMOUS! With a small machine, it's not the total horsepower output that you will notice most, it is the percentage of increased output.

My most recent change was on my '02 Bajaj scooter. 145cc and 9 horsepower. I opened up the exhaust (it was very restrictive) and put in a less dense foam sheet in the air filter. Since it was just a bit lean now, I raised the needle jet in the carburetor a notch. The ultimate difference was VERY noticeable. A lot more power in the bottom end and in the mid-range. No more top speed, but since I live in the mountains here in AZ., I needed what I got a lot more than I need top speed.

Bottom line; if someone wishes to try different things to increase power output, don't discourage them...it can be VERY satisfying.

--Keys

MY first post. I haven't changed much. Still fooling around with the mechanics...

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006
jrsjr wrote:
ellen wrote:I'm 5'11" and all legs. I had to slide all the way back in the saddle... Had a hard time turning the handlebars without hitting my knees. To do a 360 I had to stick my knees all the way out.
I remember talking with you before about how your knees hit the bars of another scooter even though mine didn't when I am 4 full inches taller than you and also have long legs. The cool thing about the Buddy's ergonomics are that it seems to be comfy for a wide range of folks. I'm disappointed to hear that it doesn't work for you, because I would have bet money that it would.
---------------------------------------
In retrospect, this was just the continuation of an on-going conversation from the old Scooter BBS. Later that year I had the great pleasure of meeting Ellen and another of our original members, Shellee, but I was so utterly overcome with exhaustion at the time that I hardly remember it. Rats!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

My First post, almost two years before I even got the buddy...

Road trip ideas for the NYC area?
Ride east on the Island, go to Jones Beach, follow as many of the smaller roads as you can and end where you can't go any more at Montauk....... I never thought of riding the length of the Island before on a Scoot but I bet it'll be a blast!
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

From October 2009, a timid:

"FYI: 2strokebuzz.com posted a summary yesterday of the news on the '09 Genuines."
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:54 pm Post subject: Now an official member!
BuddyRaton wrote:Well today has been a busy day! I bought a cream Buddy 125 today! I took it for a little ride and I just love it. I just wanted to say hi and plan on spending some good time here!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Dec 11, 2007:
Hi everyone-
Since starting to think about scooters a while ago I've been doing research in this forum and wanted to ask a few questions.

My car has finally died and I'm about to take the scooter plunge. Someone a while ago recommended the Genuine Buddy but as I get closer I'm not sure what to pick.

If anyone can offer opinions on these questions, I'd appreciate it!
And then a long list of questions, all of which typical to the forum. Within 3 hours I had four thoughtful replies that helped me make the decision to buy my Italia. More people chimed in after that, most of whom are still some of the most helpful members around here!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Gee I got all nostalgic looking back at how it all began... sigh...
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Hey there Modern Buddy Scootergang...

Got my Xena XZN-6 the other day and thought I'd share my 2¢ for anyone else who is thinking about taking advantage of this great offer...

The entire experience for me was 100% positive. It's a great deal on a great lock. The communication and the entire transaction was terrific - fast and easy - just the way I like it. 48hrs after ordering my lock, it was in hand and on scooter. What more could I ask for? Thanks Tristan!

So there you have it. It was good for me. Hope it is good for you too.

Cheers.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

December 4, 2006 in a thread titled, "Scooter Books"
Hi, y'all! This is my first post. I'll put up an introduction in that one photo thread in a little bit.

So, Corsair, did you ever get an answer as to if there was a need to get both Proficient Motorcycling as well as More Proficient Motorcycling? I'm about to become a brand new rider, so I'd like as much literature as possible before my first ride.
BORING. :D
ModBud #442
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Kinda nice. long time lurker and 1st time poster scenario.
Lovelandstella wrote:Hello all!
(1st post. Maybe I should bronze it?)

I did it. I have put down the deposit on a 4 stroke Stella! :D I must say came to that decision based largely in part to the wonderful information on this forum. You. guys. are. awesome! Eric, not to single you out- but the info you have personally found, gathered and presented here was a huge benefit and made your site the number one place for me to go for information. Thanks for maintaining this site- You Rock! You know it, everyone here knows it- but it still had to be said.

And that's it! 1st post is just an announcement that I bought one and I appreciate this site for all the info presented in a warm, polite, and unbiased manner.

Yay for me and Yay for you!-
Thanks!
-Newbie.
and now I finally have that scooter and I LOVE it!
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:December 4, 2006 in a thread titled, "Scooter Books"
Hi, y'all! This is my first post. I'll put up an introduction in that one photo thread in a little bit.

So, Corsair, did you ever get an answer as to if there was a need to get both Proficient Motorcycling as well as More Proficient Motorcycling? I'm about to become a brand new rider, so I'd like as much literature as possible before my first ride.
BORING. :D
LIBRARIAN!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:I just sold my car last week and bought my first scooter, a Buddy 125! I'm thrilled to ride it, but I miss my extensive music library. I am very leery of wearing headphones, as I also understand it's illegal in most states. Does anyone have suggestions for a way to trick out my tunes, while still being reasonably weather resistant and not too attractive for thieves? I'd appreciate all of the insightful suggestions.
From July 18, 2009. 2 years later, no stereo system or bluetooth helmet. And what I was leery of doing then has become the norm for me (headphones).
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Fun! I have only fixed some of the damaage mentioned below. I still think I got a good deal, given the prices at the time. I guess I can still say I'm fixing it slowly. Very slowly.
Oh, and the scooter is still unnamed.
pdxrita wrote:You've caught me lurking, but I've been looking for the opportunity to post anyhow. I bought my Buddy 150 Italia 2 weeks ago, used. I got an amazing deal on it because it has a lot of cosmetic damage and the guy was leaving town and needed to offload it. I'll fix it up, slowly but surely. My name is Rita and the scooter is as yet unnamed.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Black Cat, Rattler & Roughhouse Discussion Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:21 pm Subject: Age, Sex, Location of BCat, RAT & RHouse owners
200 miles on my new rat....

Male
Naples, Flo-rida!
Rattla buck 10

Where my SW Florida peeps at?

Now there's close to 18K on the Pig...
Goin into the shop 2marra to get the speedo fixed,rear fender bracket,new sliders, and a few other things.
Still not alot of SW Florida peeps, the only MB member with a Rat that was close to me sold it, and I just bought it :D
I see there is a Naples Buddy rider on the forum now, Hey man lets ride!
Commin up on my two year anny!
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

What a great thread idea this is! - my first post was 3 years ago on Monday
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:32 pm Post subject: Just bought Rattler 50 today!
Hey everyone... Just bough a new 2006 Rattler 50 today (the dealer had been sitting on it & I got a great deal)
Prima pipe & a few other enhancements from the dealer
- I had it up to 40mph in the test drive (they say it will do 50)
It is being delivered on Tuesday & I cant wait (weather is going to be bad till then anyway)
This thing is so much more fun then the other 50cc's I test drove & it rides a lot smoother.
Any advice for the new guy?
And that means that the 15th (Friday) will be my 3 year anniversary as a scooterist
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I like how some people introduce themselves and some just blend into the conversation.
Syd

Post by Syd »

ScootLemont wrote:
Any advice for the new guy?
Bring. Your. Camera!
The majority is always sane - Nessus