prima pipe

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

7ate9

prima pipe

Post by 7ate9 »

This morning I was warming up the black jack, being the gentleman that I am for my girl, and I noticed air coming from underneath where the prima pipe connects? hmmm 500 miles and no fisrt service yet. Running fine!!

what is the air leak? Is the pipe just loose? on voodoo, ther was some issues with the prima pipe.

Thanks guys!
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

The header bolts may be coming loose. I would check them, today. I had that happen to me once.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
7ate9

prima pipe

Post by 7ate9 »

Is this going to do any damage because my girl did ride it to work??
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

It's most likely just the output of the engine fan. I thought the same thing once the first time I installed my pipe.
If the bike sounds the same and isn't backfiring on deceleration it's probably not an exhaust leak.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
7ate9

fan

Post by 7ate9 »

Oh, so there is a fan on the black jack?
Bcon

Re: fan

Post by Bcon »

7ate9 wrote:Oh, so there is a fan on the black jack?
Yes, these are air cooled by a fan that spins with the engine. The cooling air intake is on the right side of the scooter under the little scoop. The outlet is under the scooter and it blows toward the ground from where the exhaust exits the head.

It's normal to see stuff blow away from under the scooter when you start it. If that's what you saw, you're probably good. If you're concerned, take a peek underneath the scooter and make sure the two bolts that hold the exhaust to the engine are tight.
2004 Stella
BMW F800ST
7ate9

thanks!

Post by 7ate9 »

So thanks very helpful!Nice helmet too you dont mess around when it comes to your skull do you.... :D wonder if its possible to obtain a photo shot close up, of the black jack!
Thanks !
Bcon

Re: thanks!

Post by Bcon »

7ate9 wrote:So thanks very helpful!Nice helmet too you dont mess around when it comes to your skull do you.... Thanks !
No, I don't mess around with safety gear, motorcycle, scooter, it doesn't matter. That helmet is a replacement for one just like it that saved my life when I t-boned a car that pulled out of a side street right in front of me. That was on a motorcycle, but my Buddy certainly doesn't have any trouble reaching the 35-40mph I was going when it happened. No matter what I had been riding, it was unavoidable on my part.

Not that any of this is related to this topic, but I can't say enough for Arai helmets. The best helmet is the one you'll wear and forget you're wearing it, and I find Arai to make the most comfortable helmets out there.
2004 Stella
BMW F800ST
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

+1 on the Arai! :D
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

That air is just the cooling fan from the right side of the scooter blowing directly to the cylinder to cool and exits by the header flange to the otherside.