Brake Disk Upgrade?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Beamster

Brake Disk Upgrade?

Post by Beamster »

Anything to be gained by upgrading the front brake disk to the NCY replacement?

Based on the sales pitch, we can "stop on a dime".
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

don't know about stock Buddy brakes but the BJ i ride stops considerably shorter and with more user control then my Agility, which has just a regular 'ol front disc

put it this way on my Agility i can need a quick stop at an intersection and a time comes during braking when i think "oh oh"

with the BJ i brake and know its going to stop when i want it to according to my input. the brakes just work incredibly well imo. but, i haven't any other experience with any other scooters, so i am just going by my limited knowledge and by what i read. which seems to be "the brakes are the best" by people who know better then i
Riding is riding
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Only interested in the Buddy.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

well the BJ is a Buddy. it just comes with a big ass brake disc
Riding is riding
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

JHScoot wrote:well the BJ is a Buddy. it just comes with a big ass brake disc
The Blackjack's "big ass brake disc" IS the NCY "upgrade"

That being said, I have the "upgrade" and it doesn't do much more than look cool. It does help a tiny bit but the stock brakes are adequate and this mod isn't necessary
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

so are you saying the NCY "Big Brake Kit" is all hype, or the stock Buddy brakes are just that good?

i am not fond of the brakes on my Agility in comparison. i will upgrade when i learn more about how to, or maybe at its first brake service
Riding is riding
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The reason for the NCY disk is to increase cooling (larger surface area, faster heat dissipation). Unless you're racing the Buddy and using a ton of front brakes, this is more of a bling mod than anything else. If your stock disc is gone, it's a solid investment. If you're a casual rider or a commuter, it's unnecessary. The breaks on the Buddy are already borderline too much for the weight of the bike.

Don't get me wrong. If you go on theory alone, the larger disc increases stopping power just because that's how physics works. In reality, the Buddy already has more than adequate front brakes which is the only reason this is unnecessary for a casual rider.

For track usage, it's a gold ticket item.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i ride pretty fast and brake pretty hard sometimes. so maybe thats why i get that feeling for them? who knows?

looks like i will have to rent a regular Buddy and find some stuff out about a stock Buddy vs a BJ
Riding is riding
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

JHScoot wrote:i ride pretty fast and brake pretty hard sometimes. so maybe thats why i get that feeling for them? who knows?

looks like i will have to rent a regular Buddy and find some stuff out about a stock Buddy vs a BJ
Now that the OP's question has been pretty well answered, I'd say that rather than finding out about a stock Buddy's brakes you ought to figure out why you have such little confidence in the Kymco's brake. If you feel an "uh oh" feeling whenever you need a hard stop, that's a dangerous (read: deadly) problem. It's not like the Kymco is a vintage scooter with two drum brakes where you need to accept lesser braking power.

If you ride fast and brake hard, I can't imagine why you would continue to ride the Agility if you feel like the front brake is that weak. Do yourself a potentially life-saving favor and get that worked out. Don't wait until the "first brake service."
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

the brakes are fine with the Agility, i just notice a difference. i suppose i could run a small informal test, but am not sure if i could modulate the brakes with equal pressure. so it wouldn't do much good

the Agility stops fine, but i don't feel as connected with it as i do when i ride the BJ. two different scooters, i suppose. i just know the BJ has more stopping power

and the "oh oh" really isn't very dramatic. its just me being dramatic. the BJ just has noticeably better brakes then the Agility because....it has better brakes

it cost twice as much so it should have something over the Agility
Riding is riding
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jmazza wrote:
JHScoot wrote:i ride pretty fast and brake pretty hard sometimes. so maybe thats why i get that feeling for them? who knows?

Now that the OP's question has been pretty well answered, I'd say that rather than finding out about a stock Buddy's brakes you ought to figure out why you have such little confidence in the Kymco's brake. If you feel an "uh oh" feeling whenever you need a hard stop, that's a dangerous (read: deadly) problem. It's not like the Kymco is a vintage scooter with two drum brakes where you need to accept lesser braking power.

If you ride fast and brake hard, I can't imagine why you would continue to ride the Agility if you feel like the front brake is that weak. Do yourself a potentially life-saving favor and get that worked out. Don't wait until the "first brake service."
Even with drums you should still be able to stop comfortably. My vintages don't stop QUITE as fast as the Buddy, but they still stop pretty darn fast. I've never thought I was going to have any issue stopping from any speed, and they're 40 years old! If your Kymco is giving you that feeling, something is wrong with the brakes.
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

I think it just looks cool.

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Kaos wrote:
jmazza wrote:

Even with drums you should still be able to stop comfortably. My vintages don't stop QUITE as fast as the Buddy, but they still stop pretty darn fast. I've never thought I was going to have any issue stopping from any speed, and they're 40 years old! If your Kymco is giving you that feeling, something is wrong with the brakes.
ok guys nothing is wrong with my brakes. seriously

i have no trouble stopping. i just stop better with the BJ

its like my old Volvo i sold. it did not stop as well or quickly or as flat as a Honda Accord i drove the other day, but it did STOP

sheesh. gear heads never cease! :hit: :P
Riding is riding
Plisar

Post by Plisar »

Hey JHScoot, it seems you are having some problems with your breaks. Maybe you should think about getting a new scooter.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Ok boys. All that is being said is that the Blackjack stops better then their Agility (fact) The Buddy is the best stopping scoot in its class (opinion).

The Buddy's stock brakes (non BJ) are that amazing

I ride through mountain passes and have actually raced on a "track" and noticed little difference between the 2. Most of the advantage was later in the runs

At my dealership we had a customer dump his Buddy at the first stop sign, he came in yelling about the brakes being messed up and they made him crash. His old scoot was a Tank race with a faulty ABS system. I had to explain to him what good brakes were supposed to do lol
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Isn't the Agility an economy priced scooter,if so that explains the brakes.If I'm not mistaken the Agility is about midway in quality between the Chinese and Buddy scooter,certainly better than any Chinese scoot but under a Buddy scoot.
Aerosmith, None Other.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

JHScoot wrote: put it this way on my Agility i can need a quick stop at an intersection and a time comes during braking when i think "oh oh"
JHScoot wrote: i am not fond of the brakes on my Agility in comparison. i will upgrade when i learn more about how to, or maybe at its first brake service
JHScoot wrote: ok guys nothing is wrong with my brakes. seriously

i have no trouble stopping. i just stop better with the BJ

sheesh. gear heads never cease! :hit: :P
Just trying to help, JHScoot. There's a definite difference from what you said in your first post to this last one. Helpful suggestions are what Modern Buddy is about, 'cuz we're nice like that. And we hate seeing members die in intersections! I'm glad your brakes are fine on both scooters.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ oh haha no worries. thats just my posting style. believe me when i say i appreciate ALL the help, advice, and words of scooter wisdom i can get here. both directly and indirectly by just reading the forums. always appreciated, and i am a total scooter newb. so anything from the peanut gallery is always welcome :)

so far as the Agility brakes, this is it. idk much about this stuff, but pretty small rotor. and while they are drilled i find those big holes / gaps down low to be curious. most likely to reduce heat or something, i suppose?

anyway here is a pic for those who like to study, analyze, and pontificate about braking hardware. they get the job done :nerd:

and just for fun, the BJ brakes for comparison. who's....your....DADDY! :lol:

Riding is riding
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

JHScoot wrote:^ oh haha no worries. thats just my posting style. believe me when i say i appreciate ALL the help, advice, and words of scooter wisdom i can get here. both directly and indirectly by just reading the forums. always appreciated, and i am a total scooter newb. so anything from the peanut gallery is always welcome :)

so far as the Agility brakes, this is it. idk much about this stuff, but pretty small rotor. and while they are drilled i find those big holes / gaps down low to be curious. most likely to reduce heat or something, i suppose?

anyway here is a pic for those who like to study, analyze, and pontificate about braking hardware. they get the job done :nerd:

Looks like they use the same caliper so it's probably a combo of the rotor and pads
and just for fun, the BJ brakes for comparison. who's....your....DADDY! :lol:

toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

My big brake kit is tucked in the fender 8)