Buddy 125 Cruising Speed

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

andylaiphoto

Buddy 125 Cruising Speed

Post by andylaiphoto »

What is the fastest cruising speed one can travel on the 125 for extended periods of time without putting too much strain on the motor. I live in a very flat area with the exception of some bridges.

I cruise at 50 on the speedo and feel that's a pretty good number and was wondering if any of you go faster?
Andy Lai Photography
http://www.andylaiphoto.com

r0sa

Post by r0sa »

My bf and I and some friends go on these epic 3+hour rides in Austin on the mountainous terrains and I full throttle all the time. We'll take breaks every hour or so but I've done this for years since I first got my scoot. It now just passed the 11,000 mile mark. A couple times 2yrs ago, I would ride WOT from San Antonio to Austin for 2 hrs a couple times and the engine kept up with me.

Just remember the saying "ride it like you stole it!"
andylaiphoto

Post by andylaiphoto »

You would get on the interstate?
Andy Lai Photography

r0sa

Post by r0sa »

One time my bf rode it on I-35, a straight shot from San Antonio to Austin, but as for me, I stick to the country back roads and just cruise WOT
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

AS a rule, your butt or the gas will give out long before your Buddy does.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Yup. That trip from austin,tx to san antonio,tx was wot for 80 miled on tge interstate lol
andylaiphoto

Post by andylaiphoto »

gearhead wrote:Yup. That trip from austin,tx to san antonio,tx was wot for 80 miled on tge interstate lol
What kind of MPG are you getting at WOT for that distance?
Andy Lai Photography

pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I've taken two day trips--mostly with WOT--from Tulsa to Illinois and Tulsa to San Antonio. No problems at all and I've put a solid 16k+ miles on my 125 in three years. I wouldn't worry about the engine at high speeds; worry about the unforeseen potholes.... :cry:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

The longest ride I've done is 190 miles from Chicago, IL to the burbs of Indianapolis, IN.

All US and state routes. WOT the whole time. Cruised about 60-65 BMPH, and my MPGs were a lot lower than my usual 96 or so BMPG. I was getting like 70 BMPG.

Basically drive one hour WOT. Refuel. Repeat until destination reached.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The big concern is heat. If you're doing sustained WOT riding, the engine should rest every 100 miles or every gas stop. Give it 10 minutes or so.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…