Very close call!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Raiderfn31

Very close call!

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Going to work this morning a car pulled out in front of me while I was wide open. Granted wide open isnt but a bit over 45mph, but if it werent for the on-coming lane being empty I may have wiped out. I was no farther than 5 feet from the drivers window laying on the horn and he didnt even look over! Loud music maybe? I can honestly say I didnt panic at all. Just took evasive action and it worked out. Lee Marvin aint got nuthin on me!
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Well done avoiding the crash! It's amazing how inattentive drivers can be.

Sounds like you know this well but for the benefit of anyone else reading, always know your evasive action plan and ride as if you are invisible.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

also expect them to be acting aggressively. Many drivers just assume a scooter will be going slower then they appear, and or just assume they always go slow and will take the chance and get in front and not be further delayed. The same can be seen when the first car gets to the intersection as the light turns red, then guns a right turn as the surge of traffic pushes off from the cross street. And it's not just scooters, I drive a very large fire engine, and these S.O.B.'s turn right in front of me on a red (when I have a green and driving priority 1), then pull over and stop in the left lane.

Good to hear that you were able to avoid it though. Keep scanning and expecting dumb things to happen all around you.
yeauxkneauxit

Post by yeauxkneauxit »

well played!

no need for coffee this morning. glad your ok!
BootScootin'FireFighter

yeauxkneauxit wrote:well played!

no need for coffee this morning. glad your ok!
No coffee, but a fresh pair of underwear would be needed. I've had some close calls in the past with major pucker factor.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

I have a bent $400 wheel to remind me of my last accident. I cycle to work in downtown Atlanta and was hit by a car last year, fortunately I was not hurt and the only thing damaged on my bike was the very expensive front wheel.

I now take the "NEVER ASSUME" approach; I never assume a driver sees me. I also don't take any chances and always give myself more than enough room to make adjustments if I have too. It's ain't a perfect solution but hopefully it will keep me safer in the future. I still have that wheel and keep it prominently displayed in my garage so that I see it prior to getting on my bike.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:also expect them to be acting aggressively. Many drivers just assume a scooter will be going slower then they appear, and or just assume they always go slow and will take the chance and get in front and not be further delayed. The same can be seen when the first car gets to the intersection as the light turns red, then guns a right turn as the surge of traffic pushes off from the cross street. And it's not just scooters, I drive a very large fire engine, and these S.O.B.'s turn right in front of me on a red (when I have a green and driving priority 1), then pull over and stop in the left lane.

Good to hear that you were able to avoid it though. Keep scanning and expecting dumb things to happen all around you.
Nailed it there. I think he saw me and ASSUMED I was going slow. I was actually at 45 give or take on a posted 45 zone. Thanks for all the concern people. Much appreciated and great to be able to vent in this forum!
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

I hate it when cars cut me off thinking i'm going slow, thats what people think when they see scooters on the road. I'm actually going like 60+mph, good thing i have the NCY big brake kit.
Plisar

Post by Plisar »

This happens all the damned time down here in San Diego, and it's annoying, especially when some of our intersections have turn lanes that people use as passing lanes to get ahead of me. Problem for them (usually) is that I'm moving faster than them off the line.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

I guess its only going to get worse when I get my Buddy125. Now 45 or so is my top, then it will be 60ish. But to them Im only going to look like a scooter. At least I wont get passed as much!
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Good work. I think the 125 will only make you safer, giving you more options to evade the zombies. Glad you made it out ok.
2 > 4
TVB

Post by TVB »

Chilly wrote:Good work. I think the 125 will only make you safer, giving you more options to evade the zombies.
Greater power is a sword that cuts both ways, giving you more ways to escape trouble and more ways to get into it.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

TVB wrote:
Chilly wrote:Good work. I think the 125 will only make you safer, giving you more options to evade the zombies.
Greater power is a sword that cuts both ways, giving you more ways to escape trouble and more ways to get into it.
yup, ya got to have the skills and experience to go with the power, as well as a bit of common sense. I remebr when my dad gave me his TransAm, I damn near killed myself quite a few times before I finally got smart. :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

[/quote]Greater power is a sword that cuts both ways, giving you more ways to escape trouble and more ways to get into it.[/quote]

:rofl: :clap: :rofl:
Very nice TVB, true but very funny...
Almost Yoda like, if ya switched around a few words...
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

[quote=yup, ya got to have the skills and experience to go with the power, as well as a bit of common sense. I remebr when my dad gave me his TransAm, I damn near killed myself quite a few times before I finally got smart. :lol:[/quote]

My first car was a Honda CRX Si. I am SO lucky Im still here. I was so stupid as a 16 year old. Im getting my son a lead-sled for his 16th!
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Wheelz wrote:
Greater power is a sword that cuts both ways, giving you more ways to escape trouble and more ways to get into it.[/quote]

Almost Yoda like, if ya switched around a few words...[/quote]

I just did my best Yoda voice to that quote and almost pissed myself :clap:
TVB

Post by TVB »

Wheelz wrote:
Almost Yoda like, if ya switched around a few words...
[Yoda]A sword that cuts both ways greater power is. More ways does it give to escape trouble, but to get into it as well.[/Yoda]

Of course if I were truly going for a truly geekish references, I would have said that it greater power is a three-edged sword.... ;)
Jennyfer

Post by Jennyfer »

So glad you made it out ok! Just got finished with a motorcycle course 3 weeks ago and seriously...so many horror stories from fellow class mates.

One guy said his wife almost got taken out by this guy who changed lanes very quickly while they're riding their motorcycles on backwoods Texas roads. Once she was ran off the road, the guy quickly drove up to the car and flagged him over. When he got the guy over he asked him what the heck was he doing almost killing his wife.

And the man said...I didn't see her.

Most of the time, I think people just don't see us out there.
I try and stay limber, swim, run, ride my scooter.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Jennyfer wrote:So glad you made it out ok! Just got finished with a motorcycle course 3 weeks ago and seriously...so many horror stories from fellow class mates.

One guy said his wife almost got taken out by this guy who changed lanes very quickly while they're riding their motorcycles on backwoods Texas roads. Once she was ran off the road, the guy quickly drove up to the car and flagged him over. When he got the guy over he asked him what the heck was he doing almost killing his wife.

And the man said...I didn't see her.

Most of the time, I think people just don't see us out there.

I always go by the rule that Im invisiable......gotta look ahead
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
yeauxkneauxit wrote:
No coffee, but a fresh pair of underwear would be needed. I've had some close calls in the past with major pucker factor.
Reminds me of the 'Oops I crapped my pants!' video short from Saturday Night Live. heheh.
Image Image
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Glad you're oaky,
Last edited by Howardr on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

One of the most fun times are when I hit a corner right......its a beautiful thing........too fast...know I can grip.....kinda scared....
Raiderfn31

NO CRAZY PEOPLE?

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Throw me a fricken bone..............
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

My near miss was two years ago. At the time I was wearing a burgandy 3/4 helmet and a black and white textile jacket. Either I wasn't visable enough, or (more likely) this person just wasn't paying attention. Luckily there was no gravel on the shoulder. VERY scary being a foot or so away from being sideswiped! Just had time to swerve, not lay on the horn (darn it! I would have loved to scare the cr*p out of them with the stebel!).

Now, I wear a high vis yellow full faced helmet and matching color jacket. I still ride like they can't see me, but I've noticed a lot more of them DO see me.
Attachments
Near miss.jpg
Near miss.jpg (34.78 KiB) Viewed 938 times
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

The yellow helmet and jacket are great ideas. I think a female can pull off those colors a bit better than I could though!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I know you really think that, but I have seen several guys in high vis yellow jackets, and a couple even with the matching helmet, and I didn't think they looked at all strange.

Now if you have a yellow bike too, that might be a bit odd looking...but people would sure see you!

Look at "Quig"s user picture, on page 5, a little over a third of the way down. He really shows up in low light!

...and a daylight example with matching helmet is "Fuzzy' , who is about 4 posts down on the first page.

I don't think either of them look odd.

Personally, I think we all look a bit odd wearing our helmets which make us look like spacemen/women, :lol: but it's a necessary evil. :)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

michelle_7728 wrote:I know you really think that, but I have seen several guys in high vis yellow jackets, and a couple even with the matching helmet, and I didn't think they looked at all strange.

Now if you have a yellow bike too, that might be a bit odd looking...but people would sure see you!

Look at "Quig"s user picture, on page 5, a little over a third of the way down. He really shows up in low light!

...and a daylight example with matching helmet is "Fuzzy' , who is about 4 posts down on the first page.

I don't think either of them look odd.

Personally, I think we all look a bit odd wearing our helmets which make us look like spacemen/women, :lol: but it's a necessary evil. :)

Point taken. I guess my "matte-black" look may be a bit dangerous. :(
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I bought some very reflective 'conspicuity' tape today -the kind that comes in the red and white segments that you see all over the over-the-road trailers. Gonna stick some of the white to the back and sides of my helmet, and stick a bit of the red on the scoot.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

PeteH wrote:I bought some very reflective 'conspicuity' tape today -the kind that comes in the red and white segments that you see all over the over-the-road trailers. Gonna stick some of the white to the back and sides of my helmet, and stick a bit of the red on the scoot.
Great Idea! Im on it.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Raiderfn31 wrote:
PeteH wrote:I bought some very reflective 'conspicuity' tape today -the kind that comes in the red and white segments that you see all over the over-the-road trailers. Gonna stick some of the white to the back and sides of my helmet, and stick a bit of the red on the scoot.
Great Idea! Im on it.
did the same as Pete, mixed and matched red and white to my scooter and helmets. http://www.dottape.com/.