We Really Are Invisible... (or how about a hit and run?!)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BlackInkSpot

We Really Are Invisible... (or how about a hit and run?!)

Post by BlackInkSpot »

Even at a stop light - completely stopped - I still had a guy manage to just run into me last night.

So there I am - at a stop light, a pretty major intersection as well. I saw the guy coming up in the rear view but thought "Oh he'll stop" and looked away. Well guess, what - he didn't stop. Thankfully he wasn't going very fast and all he really managed to hit was the back tire and the plastic tail on the bike - no damage. But - the best part was the fact that he didn't know he ran into and I had to put my bike on the kickstand and thump his hood to get his attetnion. He rolled down his window and said "WHAT?" and i said "HEY YOU HIT MY *$(%*()*#$%() BIKE!!" and he said "Oh..I was talking to my daughter" and I said "Well you need to pull the hell over" and he said "Sorry" and I said "Pull over now"

He then backed up and I started to pull my bike to the side of the road (you're supposed to do that here unless people are injured) and he took off. He didn't have a front license plate (so I don't think his car was registered in my state) and when he took off I couldn't read his back license plate.

Of course, no one around us bothered to stop or look - and in hindsight, I should have stayed in front of his car and stuff... I didn't bother calling the cops because all I could tell them was that it was a blue dodge neon. There wasn't any damage to my bike - but is really pissed me off and made me curse the whole way home.

I'm just thankful I'm not hurt and my bike is still running. You really really are invisible out there. Just everyone please be careful!
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

How frustrating! :livid: So glad to hear you are not hurt. What was the damage to your Buddy? Did you fill out a police report with the info you had?

I had that happen to me as I was running... sort of. I was running on the sidewalk and a car pulled out from a parking lot and just about hit my husband and I. We actually both ran right into the car to avoid him hitting us. CLUELESS was the driver. We pounded on his car to bring attention to the situation. He just stared at us like we were doing something wrong. We were livid! And both of us were shaken up. It is scarey out there. When people don't except their responsibilities as drivers, especially not owning up to their mistakes, it makes me very sad... and scared!
Laura
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

Geez...I hate people sometimes. I bet if you had been the one that hit him with your bike that he would have cared then. Bastard! :evil: Im glad that neither you or your bike are injured. Ride safe
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

That's scary! Tough to let that go....I just think karma's gonna get ya (them).
I had a guy behind me fall asleep in his car last summer (I was also in my car) on a side street and he hit me at about 25mph. It would have been serious if I was on the bike.
I hope I stay as vigilant as I am now as a newbie!
jess

Post by jess »

It helps to pulse your brake lights while sitting at a light to make sure the person behind you sees you. A blinking red light is more visible than a solid red light.

When you see someone approaching behind you while waiting at a light, put your brakes on, then let them go completely, and then on again. Repeat. Once the car pulls up behind you and is safely stopped, you can relax a bit.
BlackInkSpot

Post by BlackInkSpot »

Jess - I actually do that at all the lights until there's a car behind that's stopped and that's also how I come to a stop (gentle repeated braking so people can see that I'm going to slow down and see my light flashing) - I am constantly asking my fiance' to do this as he's a hard braker and the quickness with whick the buddy stops scares me that someone behind him won't get that he's stopping.

In this guys case, he just literally wasn't paying attention to anything and I had no where to go. I think it was probably a case where he thought he was further away than he was and was letting it coast to a stop with light braking.
ellen

Post by ellen »

I'm not sure its that they didnt not just see you.
On the phone and not paying attention.
I had someone do that to me in my Subaru Forester!
Was sitting at a red light and BAM.
I pulled over and the guy kept going. And like an idiot I followed him.
He finally pulled over and I got out of the car with my cell phone dialed in 911 with my finger on send.
No damage and was just a kid. But I think I scared the crap out of him. :wink:
germ

Post by germ »

%*#@ that dude!
skootergurl

Post by skootergurl »

2 days ago I was out running some errands for my husband(I do that more willingly now if I am riding a scoot)Anyway I was southbound and a Medi-Van(vehicle that transports individuals with disabilities) cut right in front of me to pull into a parking lot. I slammed on the brakes and hit the horn. The drivers just threw up his hands and shrugged. Well I was mad when I got to the hardware store I used their phone book to look up the Medi-Vans number, called and gave some poor guy named Steve and earfull! In addition to almost killing me, I expresed concern for the poor person he was transporting. I had not gotten his license plate #, however on my way home his van was still at the Dialysis place. I turned my bike around and pulled in, Driver slunk down in his seat! I got his license # and called Steve back, he thanked me and assured me the situation would be addressed. You have to report every incident! And always try to get a license plate #. Scoot on my friends!!!!!
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Seth told me that story last night (he didn't mention that it was you, however, the customer who had left...).

Spooky stuff, but glad you and -- for the most part -- your Buddy are okay.
Huh? What just happened?