Scooter Topcase

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lilguy

Scooter Topcase

Post by lilguy »

So last August for my birthday I got the Genuine Scooter topcase. It worked well for the first few months, but now it's becoming a nuisance. EVERY time I go over some potholes, which is quite often here in Boston, the topcase snaps up. Then I have to pull over because I don't want my things to come flying out.

It happens at least twice on a short ride. With aggressive and inattentive drivers on the road, the last thing I want to be worrying about is the topcase. I'm not sure if I should just take it off, return it (is that even possible?), or find some way to rig it.

Although it was a gift, I know the person who bought it spent quite a bit of money on that and after less than 6 months of using it, it's malfunctioning?!

Anyone else dealt with this problem with their Genuine topcase or have any ideas for me?
pattio

Post by pattio »

This is a little awkward to phrase politely and respectfully in an enthusiast forum, so please consider it only one person's opinion... (a person who has sold a hundred of each)

If you need and use a topcase on a regular basis, buy a GIVI. The E30N model is widely available for less than the cost of a Genuine case. There is one, and only one good property to the Genuine case, and that is the color matching. The GIVI case is functionally and mechanically superior in every other way.

If your topcase was a gift, you are not 'out' anything making the change. Buy the GIVI, armed with the knowledge that you need and use your topcase, and make up a white lie (you dropped it, you smashed it, birds pooped on it, whatever) for the person who gave you the gift as to why you upgraded to the GIVI.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

does anyone make a really, really small top case? like, really small!

something not much longer or wider then the rack it goes on, i suppose? and only several inches high
Riding is riding
Cheers!

Post by Cheers! »

I have a Genuine topcase and have yet to have any problems with it (knock on wood).

I do remember seeing some posts awhile back that people have had problems. I think the solution was to LOCK it while riding???? Maybe this could be your quick fix.

Cheers!
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

JHScoot wrote:does anyone make a really, really small top case? like, really small!

something not much longer or wider then the rack it goes on, i suppose? and only several inches high
LML does. their stella (there as NV) comes stock with it, In India. it was really small.
or at least I've seen some pictures where it did. thougth I cannot seem to find them now.
I have no idea how to get it here in the US, however.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

My Genuine topcase has been 100% reliable. It doesn't leak, it doesn't rattle, and it stays closed always. In fact, my scooter has been knocked over by a car once and I have gone down on it once and in both cases the topcase has stayed closed even while taking the bulk of the blow going over. The only time my top case has ever popped open is once when I forgot to lock it. Do you lock your topcase before riding? If not you should. That will stop it from opening.

As for using larger sized case, remember that the Genuine rear rack is only rated to cary 10lbs. So if you get too large a topcase and load it up you're going to bump up against structural problems like metal breaking etc.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Mar'Liz

Post by Mar'Liz »

My Genuine Topcase lasted only about 7 months. The hinges just sheared off and the lid fell off. I replaced it with a Shad topcase and have been very happy with it. I found the Genuine case to be really noisy and it just didn't feel as substantial. That said, I was still pretty surprised when I opened the lid and it fell off the sccoter. Oops...
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Mar'Liz, what Shad case did you buy? And where did you get it? I'd like to get the SH 33 but cannot seem to find it anywhere (except in black, which I don't want). Any ideas?
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Thadsgood

topcase

Post by Thadsgood »

As flimsy as the topcase is, the real problem with the structural integrity lies in the cheap, soft metal bracket hardware that comes with the case. Hardware store materials with better quality help substantially (especially with the falling off issue). The case is more decorative than useful, I'm afraid, though not completely useless with some hardware adjustments..

I agree that the shad and the givi offer better alternatives.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pattio wrote:This is a little awkward to phrase politely and respectfully in an enthusiast forum, so please consider it only one person's opinion... (a person who has sold a hundred of each)
Not awkward. There's a consensus that the Genuine topcases aren't as sturdy as some others. But they match!

Are you a dealer? Which shop?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Plisar

Post by Plisar »

I'm in love with my Givi top case. It's built like tank, had a really easy break light kit which works well (and uses magnets for the transfer of power, which makes removing it a breeze), and has proven to be fairly waterproof. I would recommend it to anyone..

Motorsport was extremely anti the genuine top cases.
pattio

Post by pattio »

ericalm wrote:
pattio wrote:This is a little awkward to phrase politely and respectfully in an enthusiast forum, so please consider it only one person's opinion... (a person who has sold a hundred of each)
Not awkward. There's a consensus that the Genuine topcases aren't as sturdy as some others. But they match!

Are you a dealer? Which shop?
Former dealer. My shop didn't make it through the recession of 08/09. I remain a partisan of the Buddy, even though I am Totally Done with plastic powersports retail. The Buddy was the best product I ever represented, on many levels.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Scooterwest, I think, has the 29-liter Shad cases along with the matching color panels for the Internationals. A bit expensive, when you're adding it all up, but are they any good?
Plisar

Post by Plisar »

PeteH wrote:Scooterwest, I think, has the 29-liter Shad cases along with the matching color panels for the Internationals. A bit expensive, when you're adding it all up, but are they any good?
The folks at Scooterwest when I was there equally recommended the Shad and Givi cases, so I'd imagine you're likely safe going in that direction. I would havel ikely gotten the Shad case had it not been for the ase of installation on the break light kit with the Givi.
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

will the Givi case hold a six-pack of beer?

i mean, hypothetically. not like i drink beer or anything . . .

(i actually do really prefer cider to beer!)
Plisar

Post by Plisar »

Yes, it shouldn't have a problem. Take a look at my pictures in the Scooter Gallery area where I should some food runs I've done recently. It can handle about five lbs worth of weight without a problem (but I'm sure it could...do...more, if you want to take the chance).
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I have the shad 29 and love it except it looked better on my rattler than it does on my Stella so now I am thinking roll bag even though that can't be as practical as the shad.
But I do recommend the shad. Nice product and well made IMO
Stormswift

Re: topcase

Post by Stormswift »

Thadsgood wrote:As flimsy as the topcase is, the real problem with the structural integrity lies in the cheap, soft metal bracket hardware that comes with the case. Hardware store materials with better quality help substantially (especially with the falling off issue). The case is more decorative than useful, I'm afraid, though not completely useless with some hardware adjustments..

I agree that the shad and the givi offer better alternatives.
OK, so what parts would help secure it better ?(trust me, if it starts giving me grief I WILL find a way to fix it. I like color matching and I do not carry anything heavy in it. I mostly worry about the rear rack. I think that with as much trouble as I had putting it on, having to file out the middle hole to make it fit - I just do not trust it on top of all that plastic AND top case on top of all that. I did not like the length of the support bars underneath the plate. They needed to be longer and should have been curved to fit better with the rack.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Great, I just bought a Genuine Top Case.......... :P
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
AtlBuddy

Post by AtlBuddy »

I have the givi (e300 I think) top case in flat black which I mounted led brake lights to. My partner has the shad 29 with matching top plate which I found on eBay and mounted led brake lights as well. The guy agreed to do $120 for the top case and matching plate including shipping which I thought was a pretty good deal. I will say that his case is shorter and wider which gives him a little more room for storage. I also prefer his closing mechanism more than mine. Mine makes me lock my case each time in order to close it and the handle springs out which makes it obvious that the case is not locked. His case can be closed without locking it. Just my observations between the two.
Bulls Eye

Post by Bulls Eye »

My genuine (color matched) top case has problems with the button to open it; unlocked, it is a pain to open- the button doesn't pop the latch- and it will open even when locked if you squeeze on the sides.

The latch hardware doesn't work properly, and just doesn't seem to be very well made. Even though my helmet will fit in the top case, I don't stow it there if I am leaving the Buddy anywhere for any amount of time. I'll look into the GIVI.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Bulls Eye wrote:My genuine (color matched) top case has problems with the button to open it; unlocked, it is a pain to open- the button doesn't pop the latch- and it will open even when locked if you squeeze on the sides.

The latch hardware doesn't work properly, and just doesn't seem to be very well made. Even though my helmet will fit in the top case, I don't stow it there if I am leaving the Buddy anywhere for any amount of time. I'll look into the GIVI.
When closed yet unlocked try lightly pressing down and forward (from the rear top of the case) while you fully smoothly depress the button to open the topcase.

Our daughter’s works just fine accept for where someone tried to jimmy the lock, mine always did until one really bad rainy day mixed with a horrible pothole filled road and yet my wife's has always had issues opening until we found the right touch.
michelle_7728

Re: Scooter Topcase

Post by michelle_7728 »

lilguy wrote:So last August for my birthday I got the Genuine Scooter topcase. It worked well for the first few months, but now it's becoming a nuisance. EVERY time I go over some potholes, which is quite often here in Boston, the topcase snaps up. Then I have to pull over because I don't want my things to come flying out.

It happens at least twice on a short ride. With aggressive and inattentive drivers on the road, the last thing I want to be worrying about is the topcase. I'm not sure if I should just take it off, return it (is that even possible?), or find some way to rig it.

Although it was a gift, I know the person who bought it spent quite a bit of money on that and after less than 6 months of using it, it's malfunctioning?!

Anyone else dealt with this problem with their Genuine topcase or have any ideas for me?
Cheap answer...bungie cord. Maybe not elegant, but doesn't cost anything (providing you don't have to go buy the bungie cord...)

My husband and I both have the Coocast Wizard and have really liked them. He hooked up the electrical, while I never bothered. It's big enough to put a helmet and gloves in.

As I recall you could color match them, but we just ordered the flat black and shiny black.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

JHScoot wrote:does anyone make a really, really small top case? like, really small!

Just ran across a GIVI topcase called the micro 2 model E260,it's small.See it at link or search your own sites.

http://scootrs.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=1765
Aerosmith, None Other.