Buddy Mirrors...ahhhh!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Buddytheelf723

Buddy Mirrors...ahhhh!

Post by Buddytheelf723 »

I know there are a tons threads about Buddy mirrors but I can't find the right answer.

So my Buddy is perfect! As they all are...except the damn mirrors. I had one literally fall off while riding. It just snaped clean off at the throttle handle. I took it in the guy had to replace that whole piece and pop in a new set of mirrors at a cost of nearly $90.00! My Buddy, mind you, is less than one year old.

I figured the first was a fluke and now they are perfect. Well, this morning while riding it to work the right mirror again comes loose at the connections with the throttle handle!!!

Is there a way to secure the mirrors so they stay in place? This is nuts!!!
yeauxkneauxit

Post by yeauxkneauxit »

I have had my buddy for 2.5 years. Its an 08..never had this issue. In fact, my scooter mirrors are rather robust and tight. I've hit them on a few things over the years. Moved them around to reposition.

You either have huge clubbed hands or maybe mirrors need to be tightened regularly. Sorry your having so much trouble- I would be pretty frustrated too.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Your scooter is a 2010. Can you not get them repaired/replaced under warranty? I would think it should be a free fix.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
AtlBuddy

Post by AtlBuddy »

It doesn't matter what year it is. As long as he bought it new then is covered for two years from the time of purchase. All 4 buddys we have owned were plagued by bad mirrors which all were replaced under warranty.
david12df

mirrors

Post by david12df »

blue loctite on threads
Smiley13

Same

Post by Smiley13 »

I had the same problem with my 07 Buddy. I ended up going to my local Honda Dealer and getting a Bar end Mirror. I cut the rubber away at the end of the bars hand grip. Installed Easy. 7/8 is the the insert size for the Buddy.
Plus it look really cool too. The Mirror Pivots back and fourth. Move it out when riding and move it in for when I am Storing her.
The Best Part it was Less than 20 dollars. I recently installed one on my Ratt.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I have a cracked mirror. Long story. But it was floppy also. Not any more. My local dealer may not be in the mood to replace the mirror ince I did not purchase my scooter from him. It is still under warranty. Second problem is that Scooterworks does not have the long stems in stock. :cry:
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
rsrider

Re: mirrors

Post by rsrider »

david12df wrote:blue loctite on threads
This. If the mirror is just coming loose than put on some loctite. In one post it sounded like it snapped off???
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I need to shop for left mirror replacement. Can someone give feedback on 2 sites:

http://www.scooterloungeonline.com

or these guys?

http://www.scooterpartsplace.com/
I am not a scooter snob.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Got my replacements from scooterlounge (good service and price). Mine came loose until I blue Loctited them also.
2 > 4
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The mirrors are the weak points of the Buddy. It's not an issue of the threads coming loose, it's an issue of poor casting/metal fatigue. This is commonly replaced under warranty - the one that warrants against defects.

Once it goes out of warranty, start looking for alternative mirrors.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Frustrating, ever since I installed my windshield my mirrors don't stay put either, I just carry a small wrench to tighten them up regularly....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

KABarash wrote:Frustrating, ever since I installed my windshield my mirrors don't stay put either, I just carry a small wrench to tighten them up regularly....
For that, you need some blue locktight.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Lostmycage wrote:
KABarash wrote:Frustrating, ever since I installed my windshield my mirrors don't stay put either, I just carry a small wrench to tighten them up regularly....
For that, you need some blue locktight.
I know, I just keep forgetting every time I go past the auto parts store..... :roll:
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Chilly wrote:Got my replacements from scooterlounge (good service and price). Mine came loose until I blue Loctited them also.
Done business with them too. Very good service. Even called the guy and talked to him
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
Hwarang

Re: Buddy Mirrors...ahhhh!

Post by Hwarang »

Buddytheelf723 wrote:I took it in the guy had to replace that whole piece and pop in a new set of mirrors at a cost of nearly $90.00!
1. Go back to your shop and demand a refund. This is a known issue, and my dealer has indicated that Genuine will foot the bill, even in some cases where your scooter is out of warranty.

2. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/15/ ... ue-242.htm
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
Vic

Re: Buddy Mirrors...ahhhh!

Post by Vic »

Hwarang wrote:
Buddytheelf723 wrote:I took it in the guy had to replace that whole piece and pop in a new set of mirrors at a cost of nearly $90.00!
1. Go back to your shop and demand a refund. This is a known issue, and my dealer has indicated that Genuine will foot the bill, even in some cases where your scooter is out of warranty.

2. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/15/ ... ue-242.htm
Ditto. I also put blue loctite on mine and they hold beautifully, when I needed to remove them for storage they came off with just an extra firm tap (in the correct direction, remember one of them goes right and one goes left!) and that released the loctite and it came right out. For storage I put some of the removable caulk type weather proofing that is designed to be easy to remove to COVER (not down inside the hole, just cover it over) the hole to keep any moisture from getting down in there. I am not sure about if it is really needed, but I had the container open and I was sealing up my house for the winter and it seemed like a good idea, Just don't get the stuff down inside the hole, mine looked like a bird had splat some kind of clear poo on my scooter. :o Time for riding again and I peeled off the caulk stuff, put a little blue loctite on the threads, inserted the mirror until it was down as far as it would go, backed it off so that it was in the right position and then tightened the little nut down so it was nice and snug. The loctite dries and good to go for another season.

I think folks maybe forget to take the mirrors in as far as they will go, that should put it into a strange position, then back it off just as far as you need to in order to put the mirror in the right place for you, then use the nut to tighten it up the rest of the way.

Cheers,
-v
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

My Left replacement mirror is on it's way from Scooterlounge. I am happy that I did not have to buy a pair since I only have one mirror with an issue. I am going to get that locktight stuff. I do not need problems while I am riding and with potholes we have around here anything and everything will shake loose eventually unless it is extra secured. I put clear packaging tape over the crack in the current mirror and it works for now. Thankfully nothing is distorted. Mirror should be here on the 30th. Scooterlounge sent it via USPS and they deliver on Saturdays unlike UPS or Fedex!!!
Looks like our weather is clearing up so I am riding tomorrow to work again AND parking on our specially designated scooter parking :lol:
I am not a scooter snob.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Got my replacement mirror yesterday (thank you Scooterlounge). After I put in on I admired the look for about 5 minutes, then got a roll of insulation tape and went into a wrapping spree. At the stem, at the base - anywhere vibration can cause loosening of the mirrors. Result is not pretty but in the scheme of things is better them have them loosen, break off or come off during the ride. Took it for a test ride yesterday. Ran it around at 50 mph for about an hour - everything held well. Until I find something else to replace those mirrors with - this will do. I think the reason there are so many issues with those mirrors is the length and thinness of the stem and wind resistance. When you ride at higher speeds or have windy conditions I think this is what is doing the mirrors in. Last year I was not riding enough and not riding fast enough so I had no issues. Since the [problem is at the connection between mirror and the stem and not at the base wind is most likely culprit.
I am not a scooter snob.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Just a quick update. I bought thread tape that is used in plumbing to secure threads. I figured if it work s in moist environments it should work on my bike. So I used the tape on my left mirror and it seems to be working . I was too afraid to use any locking compound in case I have to remove the mirror at a later time (like if I get a windshield or something. So I did not want anything that I would not be able to remove
I am not a scooter snob.