California

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

stolley

California

Post by stolley »

I know that you can't ride a scooter (> 150cc) on California freeways, but is it allowed on the Highway system (e.g. Highway 1)?
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: California

Post by ericalm »

stolley wrote:I know that you can't ride a scooter (> 150cc) on California freeways, but is it allowed on the Highway system (e.g. Highway 1)?
Yup! You just need to be able to maintain the posted speed limit. A friend on his pokey vintage 150 was kicked off Hwy. 1 for riding too slow!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Wish they would kick people driving cars too slow off the highway/freeway....
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

babblefish wrote:Wish they would kick people driving cars too slow off the highway/freeway....
Isnt the right lane for slower traffic? GO DODGERS!!!!!!
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

ericalm wrote:
stolley wrote:I know that you can't ride a scooter (> 150cc) on California freeways, but is it allowed on the Highway system (e.g. Highway 1)?
Yup! You just need to be able to maintain the posted speed limit. A friend on his pokey vintage 150 was kicked off Hwy. 1 for riding too slow!
That sounds weird that he would be kicked off, seeing they allow bicycles on that route.
Pretty sure his scoot would be quicker than a bicycle.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

desmolicious wrote:
ericalm wrote:
That sounds weird that he would be kicked off, seeing they allow bicycles on that route.
Hm, maybe not this scoot! Not sure where he was on Hwy.1, but that's he story: Cops told him to take another route.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
stolley

Post by stolley »

If he wasn't pulling over they technically have to. They never do for RVs though.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Raiderfn31 wrote:
babblefish wrote:Wish they would kick people driving cars too slow off the highway/freeway....
Isnt the right lane for slower traffic? GO DODGERS!!!!!!
Yes, but slow drivers around here drive in whatever lane they want to with no regard to traffic flow or consideration. I've been stuck behind idiots doing 50 mph in the far left lane with no other cars in front of them. :roll: I think drive-by shooting should be legalized on freeways. 8)
TVB

Post by TVB »

desmolicious wrote:
ericalm wrote:Yup! You just need to be able to maintain the posted speed limit. A friend on his pokey vintage 150 was kicked off Hwy. 1 for riding too slow!
The difference may be that a bicycle can be ridden on the shoulder, and therefore out of traffic?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Not just in CA they should do that in PA as well.......
Raiderfn31 wrote: GO DODGERS!!!!!!
Shouldda STAYED in Brooklyn!!!

Interesting trivia... http://espn.go.com/classic/s/merron_on_green.html
Attachments
Cousin<br /><br />http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Eisenstat
Cousin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Eisenstat
0harryeufp1.jpg (32.92 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
Last edited by KABarash on Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

knows how to party... :clap:
Riding is riding
mike_cor

Post by mike_cor »

desmolicious wrote:
ericalm wrote:
Wait are we talking about the PCH? Up here in the Santa Cruz there aren't any bike lanes on hwy 1. I frequently see smaller scoots on it though, like LX 150's and such.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

JHScoot wrote:knows how to party... :clap:
Indeed Sir 8)
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ericalm wrote:Yup! You just need to be able to maintain the posted speed limit. A friend on his pokey vintage 150 was kicked off Hwy. 1 for riding too slow!
I've got no idea what the actual rules are in California, but I'd be surprised if they required a rider to maintain the posted (maximum) speed on a state highway. In Oregon, there actually is a minimum speed on state highways (40 mph in most situations) as well as more general rules about not obstructing traffic and stuff like that.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

A Buddy125 in the slow lane should be cool....Cagers trying to get someplace fast. Most people who pass me get passed again down the road.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I've lead a good deal of group rides around LA so know which scooters manage OK here and which don't.

The law is that you must be able to maintain a "safe speed". That would be the posted speed limit in these parts (though most traffic is traveling at 10-20mph over that).

As for the PCH around LA, a 150cc can just hang in there. On the uphill sections you'd better stay in the right lane and hope for the best. A 125cc would be at risk - just not strong enough to sustain speeds uphill and pushing it for speed on the flats. Even the 150cc will slowly grind down to 35 or 40 mph on the longer uphill sections.

Part of the trick (and the fun) of getting around this area is learning the appropriate routes for you scooter. I've discovered a bunch of great rides that way.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yup, depends on where on Hwy 1. My amigo who got booted was, I think, north of Big Sur when it happened.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Dooglas wrote:
I've got no idea what the actual rules are in California, but I'd be surprised if they required a rider to maintain the posted (maximum) speed on a state highway. In Oregon, there actually is a minimum speed on state highways (40 mph in most situations) as well as more general rules about not obstructing traffic and stuff like that.
Some highways have posted minimum speeds as well as maximum.
stolley

Post by stolley »

I was thinking about the stretch between Monterey and Carmel mostly. My wife and I love that area and it would be fun on the scooter.
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

I believe you meant: <150cc

Referring to 'less than'?
Image Image
heyitsomid

Post by heyitsomid »

In the summer PCH comes to a crawl with all the beach traffic. I lived in Malibu for my high school years and driving to my friends house at 1AM took 13 mins, 11:30AM on a sat in the summer would take 1.5 hrs. I bought my Blackjack in LA and driving to my folks place in Malibu was a dream. I will be moving back to LA for the first time in 7 years and I can't wait to take the scooter on PCH again!!! In essence what I'm trying to say is you'll be fine.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

heyitsomid wrote:In the summer PCH comes to a crawl with all the beach traffic. I lived in Malibu for my high school years and driving to my friends house at 1AM took 13 mins, 11:30AM on a sat in the summer would take 1.5 hrs. I bought my Blackjack in LA and driving to my folks place in Malibu was a dream. I will be moving back to LA for the first time in 7 years and I can't wait to take the scooter on PCH again!!! In essence what I'm trying to say is you'll be fine.
Welcome back to SoCal. :)
Let me know if you want to join up for some group rides!
Witch

Post by Witch »

I used to take my kitted 50 on every road that wasn't a freeway. Never had any issues. I rode 126 towards Ojai all the time.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

My som is going to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in the fall and seriously considering taking a scoot instead of a car to school with him. Not our Buddy but the Sports City 250. He'd occasionally need to go between Cal Poly and his uncle's house in Fallbrook. That's a long ride on Highway 1 and not particularly pleasant on the freeways, any other suggestions?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

cdwise wrote:My som is going to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in the fall and seriously considering taking a scoot instead of a car to school with him. Not our Buddy but the Sports City 250. He'd occasionally need to go between Cal Poly and his uncle's house in Fallbrook. That's a long ride on Highway 1 and not particularly pleasant on the freeways, any other suggestions?
Honestly, the inland non-freeway routes would take 2 days.

But you should come visit with scooters and we can ride around the coast! :)
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

Well, if he decides on taking the Sports City instead of the Rav I'll probably ride out with him (or possibly my husband) with the scoots since that's much nicer than trailering it out there from Colorado.

He's got to be at Cal Poly Sept 12 and I have a conference in LA first week of October so if I did ride with him out there I'd probably leave the BV 500 at my brother's in Fallbrook and ride back to Houston with it after the Oct conference since October is much nicer riding weather and it would give me a break in long distance riding. :)
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

cdwise wrote:My som is going to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in the fall and seriously considering taking a scoot instead of a car to school with him. Not our Buddy but the Sports City 250. He'd occasionally need to go between Cal Poly and his uncle's house in Fallbrook. That's a long ride on Highway 1 and not particularly pleasant on the freeways, any other suggestions?
Yes, Amtrak and I am being serious, that is quite a ride-not just mileage-but some obnoxious highways for 2 wheelers. If he is staying a week or more, it might be worth it, but otherwise, I think it could be unpleasant.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

One of the trips would be for the 3 week winter break and it isn't the mileage that particularly concerned me as the traffic.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

300 miles each way in socal traffic? On a scoot? More than once? That's pretty rough There is no way of getting to Fallbrook without going on the I5 or the I15 anyway.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

So for fun a used Google maps for walking directions from Cal-Poly. 90 hours of walking, a ferry ride to Catalina Island, and a walk through Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base... Good times for sure.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

Lotrat wrote:
300 miles each way in socal traffic? On a scoot? More than once? That's pretty rough There is no way of getting to Fallbrook without going on the I5 or the I15 anyway.
Houston traffic isn't any better and I take the Vespa GTS 250ie which has the same engine on I-10 frequently. I took I-10 part of the way back from Amerivespa last year om it as well. We've ridden the Sports City on I-70 as well from Denver to West of Vail. So I know what riding a freeway on a 250cc scoot is like with traffic which is why I said it wasn't pleasant but it is doable.

15 in the Fallbrooh area isn't bad it is 5, 10, 91 & parts of 101 in the valley I'd rather avoid. We're only taking 2 round trips a year generally flexible to plan around the worse traffic times. Shorter visits could easily take Amtrack but he couldn't leave the scoot for weeks or months at a time in the parking lot at the dorms when they are closed. So unless so someone knows of secure, preferably indoor parking in San Luis Obispo he couldn't leave it there when the dorms are closed. I don't mind paying a reasonable rent for secure parking though as an alternative and might even prefer it.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

cdwise wrote:One of the trips would be for the 3 week winter break and it isn't the mileage that particularly concerned me as the traffic.
yes the traffic is extremely unpleasant. The freeways can get gridlocked with miles of stop and go -and thus feet up and down-So being on a heavy 2 wheeler can zap energy. For safety reasons, I refuse to lane split on the freeway in these conditions, but many people end up doing it. I will say weekends tend to be better traffic wise-although LA can gridlock at just about anytime and for no apparent reason.

It would be a shame though to move out with a car just so he can visit his uncle b/c the the BV will be much better while at college than a car..but I am biased :). If he found a way other than driving to fallbrook, would he have a way to get around while he is there?
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

The BV is MINE :twisted: my son wants to take his Dad's Sports City instead of his Buddy 125. Which is okay because I traded our Burgman in for a second BV :) for longer trips and his younger brother 2.2 years from getting his restricted to 250cc or less m/c license is already claiming the Buddy as his when his brother heads off to college.

We have so many commitments this summer between graduations/Boy Scout camping, nephew's wedding the the only time we could ride the scoots out would be 2 months before Cal Poly starts. So we would need a secure locked preferably indoors place to keep the Sports City.be could then take the BV home or to my brother's to ride back after the weather cools off.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

Well I think we have it sussed out. My husband and I will ride the Sports City (Steve) and BV 500 (me) out the end of June and leave the scoots at my brother's in Fallbrook. When my son gets out there before school starts my brother will drive him up towing the Sports City in September.

Early October I have to be in LA for Adobe MAX so I'll pick up the BV either before or after MAX and ride it back to Texas in the cooler October weather. Looks like I'll be putting some miles on two wheels this year. :D

If I leave from LA instead of Fallbrook I'm considering doing as much of Route 66 as I can until either somewhere in New Mexico or Amarillo, TX before cutting down to Houston. Othewise it will probably be Highway 382 which has to be a lot better than I-10.
stolley

Post by stolley »

My wife and I are going to move to San Francisco. Can we take our scooter on the Dumbarton Bridge? We plan to move into Alameda, but jobs will probably be in the city. I know I can take the BART, but it would be nice to have the scooter. P.S. I have a Buddy 125 if you just joined the discussion.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

stolley wrote:My wife and I are going to move to San Francisco. Can we take our scooter on the Dumbarton Bridge? We plan to move into Alameda, but jobs will probably be in the city. I know I can take the BART, but it would be nice to have the scooter. P.S. I have a Buddy 125 if you just joined the discussion.
I don't think so, but even if it were legal, I wouldn't do it. The speed limit on the bridge is 55 mph, but most drivers are going faster. Plus, it is usually pretty windy on the bridge - much too windy to be on a small scooter.
paige

Post by paige »

The Dumbarton Bridge is not the choice to take between Alameda and San Francisco. (it is about 30 miles south, San Mateo Bridge is 20 miles south) The Bay Bridge connects the two. I have ridden over it on a Buddy, but mine is *technically* not legal since it is a 125. I prefer not to commute on the little bikes. I have friends that commute on Et4, Gt200 and GTS' all the time.

Edited to add- Many people ride scooters to the BART station, then take the train in, especially during bad weather.